Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: No Death by Calendar! Help!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> RE: No Death by Calendar! Help! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: No Death by Calendar! Help! - 11/17/2006 10:37:32 PM   
Joisey

Yes, it's a known historical phenomenon.  Put too many men into uniform, and you don't have enough to work the farms and the mills and the like.  Same goes for the sea---impress to many men as sailors on warships, you won't have enough to go around for your merchant fleet.

About the only time this was successfully avoided was by the U.S. and the USSR in WWII putting millions of women to work in heavy industry (Rosie the Riveter) which had never been done before.

"Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever."
- Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

(in reply to Ursa MAior)
Post #: 31
RE: No Death by Calendar! Help! - 11/20/2006 11:55:50 AM   
Norden_slith

Yes it has, in WW1 and in most (all?) countries.

Norden

Norden
---------------------------------------------------------------
Hexagonally challenged

(in reply to Joisey)
Post #: 32
RE: No Death by Calendar! Help! - 11/21/2006 5:56:30 AM   
McGuire

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ursa MAior
No I meant what norden said. France was having economical problems from 1813 due to the high number of men (I mean males) drawn into military service, and not enough left to do the mundane tasks like working on th fields and in the factories (kinda nazi Germany after 43)

Right!
But from my point of view EiA is a diplomacy game - not a reality game! Or why does only Prussia have a manpower pool? Do all male humans in other counties die when they get old enough to be called to arms?

Well back to the point:
From my point of view, the manpower of each country is the number of people that are available for the army WITHOUT any impact on the economy.

If you start screwing around on this - well actually you'll have to implement some economy features, too!
Like spending money and manpower on economy. What about army improvement? Do the leaders get ANY payment at all?

No, from my point of view: LET'S DUMP REALISM!
Let us simply play our old fashioned FANTASY-game: EiA

There are only 10 types of people in the world!
Those who can read binary - and those who don't!

(in reply to Ursa MAior)
Post #: 33
RE: No Death by Calendar! Help! - 11/21/2006 9:32:33 AM   
cdbeck

Not to be a devil's advocate, because the Levee en Masse had significant economic impact for post-Napoleonic France (one only needs look at the demographic decline in France in comparison to the post-1815 German increase that lead to a relatively quick Prussian victory in the Franco-Prussian war), but the complete impact of the large scale draft is difficult to ascertain. Why? Well the French Revolutionary Wars and the Napoleonic Wars both implemented total war strategies. Thus, the entire domestic economy was turned toward war production (at least in theory). As was mentioned above, manpower was freed up by the implementation of alternate workers (read women, children, old men) and production switched to non-export supplies for troops. Besides, the political situation before Napoleon was so chaotic, France's economy probably isn't a good indicator as to how much manpower Napoleon would/could use.

There is a reason that a cartoon contemporary with Napoleon depicted the great general as a giant ogre gobbling up French youth...

Son of Montfort

< Message edited by Son_of_Montfort -- 11/21/2006 9:36:14 AM >

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade

(in reply to McGuire)
Post #: 34
RE: No Death by Calendar! Help! - 11/21/2006 11:00:04 AM   
Norden_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: McGuire

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ursa MAior
No I meant what norden said. France was having economical problems from 1813 due to the high number of men (I mean males) drawn into military service, and not enough left to do the mundane tasks like working on th fields and in the factories (kinda nazi Germany after 43)

Right!
But from my point of view EiA is a diplomacy game - not a reality game! Or why does only Prussia have a manpower pool? Do all male humans in other counties die when they get old enough to be called to arms?

Well back to the point:
From my point of view, the manpower of each country is the number of people that are available for the army WITHOUT any impact on the economy.

If you start screwing around on this - well actually you'll have to implement some economy features, too!
Like spending money and manpower on economy. What about army improvement? Do the leaders get ANY payment at all?

No, from my point of view: LET'S DUMP REALISM!
Let us simply play our old fashioned FANTASY-game: EiA

There is an explanation for that.
The Prussians had after the harsh peaceconditions of 1807 by Napoleon a limit to their army. Therefore they invented the Krümpersystem", which was giving basic training to men and then sending them home. A worthless bonus in EiA as long as you can upgrade militias and have no limits to the number of troops you can have under arms.

Even today armies dont just grow with a certain rate each year. And these days economies can handle a lot more then around 1800 where only Britian was just beginning her industrialization, all other nations still had to learn.

All I suggest is a rule that allows for far greater realism at very little implementing cost (as far as I can see anyway).

best,
Norden

Norden
---------------------------------------------------------------
Hexagonally challenged

(in reply to McGuire)
Post #: 35
RE: No Death by Calendar! Help! - 11/21/2006 12:56:10 PM   
Paper Tiger

Guys this game is based on the EiA boardgame, the boardgame works in many ways. Part of that is that Britain can win by stopping anyone else winning, part is the abstraction of the political in terms of surrender conditions and alliances, and part is the way in which troops are raised and supported.
It ain't broke don't fix it.

If you want a game which is modelled more directly try suggesting that Matrix tries to produce something based on the CoG engine with some of the elements from here and some from the new ACW version.
Me I will buy this, because (1) I know EiA was a good game on the table top, (2) I like the era, (3) It will take me back to my days as a student when I had energy enthusiasm and an overdraft

(in reply to Norden_slith)
Post #: 36
RE: No Death by Calendar! Help! - 11/21/2006 6:03:37 PM   
Joisey

By all means, I certainly want a faithful reproduction of the boardgame as much as the next Guy.  What I said was to put these ideas into "advanced" OPTIONS, IF players want to experiment with them.

You know, just like the Axis & Allies computer game had a list of rule options that you could toggle on or off before starting your game.

"Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever."
- Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

(in reply to Paper Tiger)
Post #: 37
RE: No Death by Calendar! Help! - 11/22/2006 9:58:00 PM   
McGuire

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joisey
By all means, I certainly want a faithful reproduction of the boardgame as much as the next Guy. What I said was to put these ideas into "advanced" OPTIONS, IF players want to experiment with them.

You know, just like the Axis & Allies computer game had a list of rule options that you could toggle on or off before starting your game.

Well - as I said in my first post here: As an optional - if he want's to (Referring to Marshall).
But I think we can still discuss the - let's say - use of a rule like this.

And from my point of view:
I'd rather have the game a day earlier than an optional rule.

There are only 10 types of people in the world!
Those who can read binary - and those who don't!

(in reply to Joisey)
Post #: 38
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> RE: No Death by Calendar! Help! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI