Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: AAR II

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> RE: AAR II Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: AAR II - 10/27/2006 8:48:10 PM   
Hard Sarge

and the battle is over, the CSA wins big, another 6000 Union go down, the CSA lose around 2500

but, one of the single Bdes I been complaining about starts up a new battle in the same area

I pick flat and open, the Union is shot

the Union tries for the option that lets them pull in all the reinforcements they can, they fail

battle begins, and they have called for help

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 121
RE: AAR II - 10/27/2006 9:00:17 PM   
Hard Sarge

hmmm, sure don't look like 44000 men, but that is my battle line

got 3 Bdes of Cav as my back up, depends on how many the Union is able to bring

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 122
RE: AAR II - 10/27/2006 9:10:07 PM   
Hard Sarge

night of the first day has fallen, the Union has brought in 19 more Bdes to reinforce his forces

one of the Union top units rushes the end of my line, but my Cav teaches it the errors of it's ways

morning will tell the tale

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 123
RE: AAR II - 10/27/2006 9:33:14 PM   
Hard Sarge

odd battle, I was able to loop my Cav around the flank and drive the Union crazy, once they start to react to them, I sent the rest of my troops forward, and a short sharp fire came about

and again, the CSA comes out on top

Oh My, you got to be kidding, another round of combat begins, the AOP has come out to play

140920 Union vs my 43182 tired and worn out troops

57 Bdes vs 18, I gonna need some tricks this time, unless his morale is totally broken

ah man, it is past my bedtime and I got to go to work tonight too :(

on to the front

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 124
RE: AAR II - 10/27/2006 9:42:53 PM   
Hard Sarge

I got a good battle line set, rocks and hills on my flanks good open area to the front, and lots of swamps and rivers between me and the bad guys, it going to take them a long time to get to me, and they going to be tired and morale is going to be shot

in a pure stand up fire, I do not stand a chance, but I not going to let that happen, the terrain is too good for that

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 125
RE: AAR II - 10/27/2006 9:53:31 PM   
Hard Sarge

the march to combat does not take as long as I had hoped, two charges and my northern line is almost broken, but my troops were able to sidestep them

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 126
RE: AAR II - 10/27/2006 10:16:21 PM   
Hard Sarge

some heavy fighting has taken place, my line was driven back more then a few times, and I have had to reform it, my Cav has been used finally drive off the attack

only to see the 2nd wave comeing

this one could be nasty

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 127
RE: AAR II - 10/27/2006 10:24:41 PM   
Hard Sarge

I was able to use my Cav in the north to drive off the 2nd wave, after it had broke my line in 2 places

only to see that a 3rd wave is beginning to form, time to pull my cav back into cover and let them get closer

I was able to flank Yates Sharpshooters, and drive them away, that will help

in the south, the Union troops are starting to close on my hill line, but the hill and the entrechments make that a strong postion

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 128
RE: AAR II - 10/27/2006 10:41:29 PM   
Hard Sarge

it is 12 AM on the first day, I have route 7 Bdes and destroy 4, the Union still has 46 Bdes in good order

my 18 Bdes are still holding, but I have lost close to 1/3 of my Cav

they have really been the Heroes of the first day, but do not know how much more I can expect out of them

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 129
RE: AAR II - 10/27/2006 10:55:42 PM   
Hard Sarge

the next wave comes in and is driven back, and now I move forward, trying to draw in the rest of the Union forces

and then the rain comes

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 130
RE: AAR II - 10/27/2006 11:17:49 PM   
Hard Sarge

Unreal, the battle lasted about another 4 hours, before the Unions will to fight finally gave in, and they still had 30 Bdes in good order !

I was happy to surive the day

and was totally shocked to see there is still 130000 men in Frederickburg

but this time around, Lee and Early will be able to join the battle

my command Staffs got a number of bumps

and Battle flags were earned by all this day

only that will have to wait until morning, it is bed time for me :)

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 131
RE: AAR II - 10/27/2006 11:38:24 PM   
Missouri_Rebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hard Sarge

only that will have to wait until morning, it is bed time for me :)

NO!!! Drink some coffee, pinch yourself, listen to some thrash metal but whatever you do STAY AWAKE AND POST MORE SCREENS!!!!!

Sorry, too much coffee here I suppose. Sleep well and thanks for the fine AAR

Mo Reb

**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 132
RE: AAR II - 10/28/2006 12:31:24 AM   
ancient doctor

Excellent update BTW.
I do have a couple of questions:1)Below the guns name when you check a unit there are several numbers,whould you like to explain what these mean?
2)I see some forts that you have.What determines the number of forts per province and how do they contribute to the battle?Are they only for tactical combat or they represent city fortifications?How about naval landings and port defences?Do they came with intrinsic garrison or guns?
Keep it up.I hope it will ship to Greece.

(in reply to Missouri_Rebel)
Post #: 133
RE: AAR II - 10/28/2006 1:05:42 AM   
jcjordan

Another thing on graphics I'd like to know is what the little stack of cannon balls next to each icon means & sorry HS no sleep for the weary so you must keep playing to the end or else you'll have to restart game over with next patch

(in reply to ancient doctor)
Post #: 134
RE: AAR II - 10/28/2006 3:36:09 AM   
pixelpusher

Hey Sarge, nice AAR! I like how the units really form up into nice big lines. You really tore up that battlefield, Sarge!

A couple of gfx notes:

One thing that doesn't show up in the screenshots is how animated the units are. They walk, shoot their guns, they charge, they even 'celebrate' when they rally. Heck, the cavalry and generals can even gallop (as opposed to trot) their horses when they're running a long way! They're really quite active.

You might also notice in Sarge's later screens that there are little units scattered about the field. Those are the dead units, which lay where they fall. You can see the bloody aftermath strewn about the battlefield. This includes the add-on units. (Looks like somebody whacked your some of your generals, Sarge! Damn Yankees...)

quote:

2)I see some forts that you have. What determines the number of forts per province and how do they contribute to the battle?

What you see in Hard Sarge's screenshots above are field entrenchments. However, there are actually multi-hex forts, with built-in cannon, that show up on detailed combat. Perhaps Hard Sarge or somebody will be nice enough to post an AAR about attacking a fort. Forts have BIG nasty cannnon.

< Message edited by pixelpusher -- 10/28/2006 3:43:34 AM >

(in reply to jcjordan)
Post #: 135
RE: AAR II - 10/28/2006 4:27:52 AM   
Hard Sarge

short and sweet for now

the numbers under the guns are the ranges and effect for that weapon type (something the testers all wanted added)

the cannon balls mean a unit is out of supply, in the game, no unit is really totally out of supply, they can keep on fireing and fighting, but will do so at reduced effect

Thanks

Pencil, those are Yankee Generals

last battle two of them fell

on the Forts, those are terrain forts, a map choice you could get

on the Stat level, wwe also have Forts, and these need to be Seiged to be taken (bloody and costly)

and on to work I go

(in reply to pixelpusher)
Post #: 136
RE: AAR II - 10/28/2006 12:33:44 PM   
spruce

Nice AAR, I think this game is the highest on my list "got to get" ... Like also what Mr. Pixelpusher said about animations.

I have 2 questions/remarks =

1. Going with your AAR, you are a very skilled player - I have to congratulate you on your victories. But is there really a challenge ? The Union seems to be a paper tiger ... in computer games I like to loose once in a while if you know what I'm saying ...

2. What is the point in besieging / taking fortresses (I don't need those "bloody"  things), I just go round them and spill my blood on taking Washington / Richmond instead.

< Message edited by spruce -- 10/28/2006 12:37:22 PM >

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 137
RE: AAR II - 10/28/2006 2:22:29 PM   
Hard Sarge

Well, I for one am not thinking they are paper tigers, I mean I "fought" HARD for some of those wins :)

a mistake here or there or thinking something else is going to happen, and a few of those could of went the other way, and once the first loss is in, the rest can easliy follow

in my current battle set up, if the Union is smart, it will pull the AOP back, but I doubt it will, I think it will even try and reinforce it, so I should have the mother of all CW battles this morning, if the AI is able to mass the rest of the AOP and gets a good die roll on the attack set up, it could roll over me easy

for sieges, well, it depends if you want the area or not, say Lexington, if there is a Fort there, you have to take the fort before you can take the City, and to take the City you got to siege it

lots of Forts on the Rivers, if you want to own, control the river, you got to control the forts

(manned forts also stop you from bypassing them)

but you can buy some pretty big guns to put in them things, and you can upgrade the forts too, and then arm the troops in the forts, Forts can be a royal pain

(in reply to spruce)
Post #: 138
RE: AAR II - 10/28/2006 2:53:13 PM   
spruce

Hardsarge, thank you for feedback.

So you mean that with your experienced battle record the battles could have swung in the Unions favour based on the more randomised die roll ... so here come's in the luck factor. I think I'll play the game on the higher difficulty settings - just to avoid victory after victory.

About fortresses, you are giving us some usefull info. So a fortress can prevent an army from capturing a city - first take the fortress, then the city... seems logical. Question = how do the fortresses control rivers ? Do they cause money penalty on the enemy ? or what ?

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 139
RE: AAR II - 10/28/2006 5:58:10 PM   
Hard Sarge

Well, I don't think I would give anything away, but most AIs don't really think too well, most of the good ones, react, Gary G (one of the best war game designers in my mind) makes some of the best reacting AIs around, alot of times the reaction is so good, it looks like the AI is thinking and setting traps

this AI, can fool you, it is not dumb, just players for the most part are not dumb either, it will surprise you, it will come at you from areas you do not expect it to

now for die rolls and stuff, if I can form a line on defence, I can do well, if I can pick my terrain to form my line in, even better, the AI gets the rolls that stop me from doing this, then it can do it's magic and tear me apart before I can do anything about it

plus victory hexes can force you into unkind set ups

Forts

well, forts control a river, because you can not use the river with a enemy fort in it ?

rivers make movement easier, used for supply and what not

now say as the CSA, I want to move into Ohio, I got to have either Wheeling, Pittsburg or Cinci, of I not getting into Ohio, or if I get in, I not taking any land

I think you may of seen in my AARs, how I rush to Wheeling at the start of each game, the CSA needs to keep it, the AI wants to take it away

(in reply to spruce)
Post #: 140
RE: AAR II - 10/28/2006 6:07:05 PM   
Hard Sarge

well, the Union stayed in place, and the battle began before my Corps could move

I was able to call for both Corps, but only a few of the troops made it to the battle

it was a good HARD fought battle, I was able to set my defences between to Rocky areas, so it channeled some of the Unions forces, part way though the battle, I was able to shift most of my troops north, while the rest held the Union Southern forces in place

I was then able to defeat in detail about half of the Union troops, one of my Bdes came out of the battle with only 102 men left, it was disbanded

bloody, bloody month

the Union 4 Star is fighting a war like Grant (think his name is Garrison ?)

the turn started out with a seige and one of the CSA forts in Frederickburg fell , now that the Union is out of the way, I need to take it back (it stops my production)
(not that Frederickburg is a major producer of anything)

the Union also tried to move into Wheeling, but I had left 2 Divs in place, a very interesting battle, I had 2 Victory hexes to defend, left one alone and guarded the northern edge and easter edge, the Union took the freeby, and then looped behind me, I had to do a major about face, but my eastern Bdes were able to hold the river line while the rest took care of the Union troops as they closed in on the VH

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 141
RE: AAR II - 10/28/2006 6:09:33 PM   
Hard Sarge

which what does not show, is how many of those units only have IW or Muskets

the Bde one the river is the only one I had with a Rifle, and he was able to keep any Union troops from getting close and forming

interesting battle but a odd one :)

my staffs are learning, a good month for staff officers

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 142
RE: AAR II - 10/28/2006 6:10:59 PM   
Hard Sarge

I lost James

so James Jousters will need a new leader

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 143
RE: AAR II - 10/28/2006 6:23:39 PM   
Hard Sarge

and just to show how much these battles have hurt, here are the troops in Fredericksburg

I am not moving for a bit, I need rest and reinforcements

so I have put the corps back into the ANV and places Lee back in charge of the whole thing

Van Dorn has moved to take over the Robert E Corps

thought you might like to see a shot of the flags and commands in the game

look at the numbers for Bragg, that is a full Div

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 144
RE: AAR II - 10/28/2006 6:25:41 PM   
Hard Sarge

and another shot of some Honors

Small battles are a dime a dozen, it is battles and Dec Battles that count

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 145
RE: AAR II - 10/28/2006 6:38:39 PM   
USSLockwood

Hey Sarge:
I've been following your AAR with rapt interest.  I've noted that you've hammered the Union during the course of the campaign, and I've been following the discussion about the AI.  It seems to me that the AI is following Grant's style, i.e., losing lots more men, but grinding you down.  In your opinion, is the AI better able to absorb these losses?

Dave
San Diego
Home of the World's Busiest Radar Approach Control

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 146
RE: AAR II - 10/28/2006 8:01:08 PM   
Hard Sarge

Hmmm, HARD to tell right now, but if Eric does some of the things I have been asking for, it will be :)

overall, right now, I think both sides are really hurting, but the Union still has more numbers on there side

I have hurt him with numbers, but have not taken all that many POWs, those are what hurt, POW and outright kills, as long as you have the container (the body) it can always be filled back up, lose the body, and you have to make new ones

(in reply to USSLockwood)
Post #: 147
RE: AAR II - 10/28/2006 8:05:08 PM   
Hard Sarge

Ahhh

I kind of screwed up, and posted the next set of reports on the wrong forum

so.....

if you all want, head on over to Eagleday to bombing the Reich, and look in a post about OT real planes in the game

you can see some very nice photos of some WWII planes and then catch up on what went on today :)

and if you interested, you can poke around in that forum for a little bit and see what else we (me, not we) have been working on

(LOL, I wish I could borrow Eric and Crew for a little bit)

but please come back here to post any replies or questions, they gonna think I nuts enough as it is

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 148
RE: AAR II - 10/28/2006 8:09:06 PM   
Hard Sarge

Crudwell and Dangnabit

ROFLMFAO

what a sputz

well, I guess I will rememberize this one for a while

okay a new nasty battle came up, the AI seems to of changed its tactics, how or way, I do not know, but it was a nail biter for a while

I have a 2 Divs in Wheeling, but got 2 Victory hexes to guard, thought I was able to set up a decent defence, but the Union had other ideas

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 149
RE: AAR II - 10/28/2006 8:10:23 PM   
Hard Sarge

I am pretty well dug in, and got lots of background support with Garrison troops, so all my troops can man the lines

but...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> RE: AAR II Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI