Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Create Player/team

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> Maximum-Football 2.0 >> Create Player/team Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Create Player/team - 10/27/2006 5:21:09 AM   
racan

I want to make powerhouse team like Montana's 49ers but I'm having hard time figuring out the player ratings. How do I know which player has a good rating and a poor rating? There is no Overall rating for each player and when I make a team it turns out to be a cupcake team. Your help will be apprecaiated.

Thanks!
Post #: 1
RE: Create Player/team - 10/27/2006 5:28:31 AM   
David Winter

As a general rule, the higher the value in the skill screen, the better the player is at that skill.

The one exception is the Pocket Passer skill. In this case, there is no 'good or bad' it's simply his style. A low Pocket Passer skill means that player will scramble a lot. A high pocket passer skill means he'll stay in the pocket longer before scrambling.

The game doesn't have an 'overall skill' screen or area where you can see overall team information. I may try to find a way to display that.

(in reply to racan)
Post #: 2
RE: Create Player/team - 10/27/2006 6:52:56 AM   
Brockleigh

Respectfully, Dave, please don't do an Overall number.

One of the best things about football is how every player on the field, and every player on the team excels at a certain portion of their game. Having to look over each player and trying to figure out if his particular skill set would work better than another player at that position is part of the whole coaching dilema. That you haven't put in an Overall number is actually a big plus in my book.

Putting in an Overall rating number would dumb-down the game. It makes it too easy to plug in a player because he has a 75 Overall instead of a player that's  a 72. Part of the appeal (at least to me) of the game as it stands is that I have to evaluate my talent myself.

Then again, that's just me.

(in reply to David Winter)
Post #: 3
RE: Create Player/team - 10/29/2006 9:48:51 PM   
CFL_FAN_7

Actually its better to put in an overall rating so you have an idea of how good a player is and tendencies is also good display, like WR (possession,balanced, speed) or RB (power,speed)

(in reply to Brockleigh)
Post #: 4
RE: Create Player/team - 10/29/2006 11:18:26 PM   
Tbird

An overall rating makes it too easy to evaluate talent but can also be a disadvantage based on what type of player you are looking for like a receiving Tight End or blocking Tight End.

(in reply to CFL_FAN_7)
Post #: 5
RE: Create Player/team - 11/3/2006 2:30:40 AM   
GWsFBAStartOct292006

I agree (too a point) with everyone who has posted so far, about Players' Overall Ratings (at times it is too Not Realistic to Even FootBall Gaming, Let Alone The Real FootBall Leagues, and Makes Talent Evaluation Too Easy, Definitely Dumb Down FootBall Gaming and Tendencies is A Lot Better Way Of Doing Player Evaluation). If it is not listed, then I disagree. I also agree (100%) with:

quote:

ORIGINAL:  dreamtheatervt
I don't like the overall rating because life doesn't come with an overall rating.  I'll use salsa as a metaphor...people who don't have a propensity for "hot foods" might prefer a Pineapple/mango salsa; whereas I prefer very hot salsa and buy salsa at genuine Mexican tiendas where they make it hot and genuine.  Someone might say a mango salsa would be a 84 and the hot salsa a 76; but someone looking for hot salsa will buy the hot salsa even if it has a "lower" rating.  The pineapple/mango people might be a coach who likes to use a pass happy offense, the hot salsa people would be "five-yards and a cloud of dust" team.  A player that fits one system might not work well in another.  You can't put a square peg in a round hole.

The solution, I strongly recommend for all reasons previously given, is to use a combination of the two. 

A Overall Player Rating is a must, for comparing players that fit into the same catagory (Fast, Quick, Agile, Weak, Intelligent, Disciplined and Composed TE with Hands-not just TE with Hands or Receiving TE). How Fast? How Quick? How Agile? How Weak? How Intelligent? How Disciplined? How Composed? How Good is The TE's Hands? TEs that are run blockers have the same 6-performance catagories available for fast reference, but lower performance number for Hands, Quick and Smart catagories. Then of course keep the (let us agree) 10-Performance Catagories- which together for any position for The FootBall Players or Coaches or GMS or Owners or ETC, are the more complete reference for Players or Coaches or GMS or Owners or ETC to quality. For me, I would like for the performance numbers be replaced with a range of performance numbers, that the performance numbers fit into.

Either way they could be used for comparisons, just depends upon the participant; however, I agree with Brockleigh and always recommend the non-ridiculous method, for success and let go of BS whining and/or cheating. Now, it would make it a lot easier if the labels (Receiving TE) were still used, as a first-level organizer.

Okay, I know a lot of you are going to think this is asking too much; however, it would be best to include the ability for each participant to select which positions are in which ranking for need and the 6-categories for each position. Allow each participant include clips (filmed plays the player was involved in) that show his positives-described in his label-ie Receiving TE.

Of course, there is a FBP '98 Draft Utility that allows a participant to create a Draft Priority List, out of all available Draftees. Of course, being a FBP '98 Utility it hides none of their performance numbers, let alone overall number.

< Message edited by GWsFBAStartOct292006 -- 11/4/2006 5:59:30 PM >

Respecting/Helping Members Thanks. 'Great White'-Shark-Former HS Coach/College Sports Radio Host. Owner Great Whites FootBall Association-Play/Watch/Name Players. Switch FBP '98 2 Maximum FootBall-Eliminate bugs, FBP '98, Madden NFL '07 & Utilities h

(in reply to Tbird)
Post #: 6
RE: Create Player/team - 11/18/2006 9:11:42 PM   
CFL_FAN_7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tbird

An overall rating makes it too easy to evaluate talent but can also be a disadvantage based on what type of player you are looking for like a receiving Tight End or blocking Tight End.

Label both then

(in reply to Tbird)
Post #: 7
RE: Create Player/team - 11/18/2006 10:58:02 PM   
dreamtheatervt

Life lesson:  If you don't know how to do something, learn how to do it.  Don't complain and ask someone to dumb it down for you or do it outright, learn it yourself and learn a new skill.  Understanding player ratings in football might not have much utility outside of a game, but if you apply the same concept to something else, for example chemistry; you can make significant gains in many areas such as nutrition, environmental issues, and understanding science.

(in reply to CFL_FAN_7)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> Maximum-Football 2.0 >> Create Player/team Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI