Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land Page: <<   < prev  30 31 [32] 33 34   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 7/3/2008 8:55:16 AM   
jesperpehrson

PM sent to Orm. There is always room for more writers! 

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 931
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 7/6/2008 6:38:29 PM   
wosung

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: capitan

This looks very nice.

But it also made me think about the size of the Belgian army and I couldn't get the math to add. So what I have to say is in no way critisism on the writeup but more a question about math.

With these exellent writeups it becomes easy to compare the units of WIF with the historical OOB (Order Of Battle) and numbers of soldiers in the units.

In WIF Belgium has 3 corps and 1 reserve corps. The writeup says the "1st corps" has 2 divisions and some 14000 men. Since I haven't seen the writeup for the other corps I asume for this argument that they have 3 divisions each and 22000 soldiers. That gives the entire Belgian WIF army 11 divisions with 80000 men including the reserve.

Oxfords Companion to WWII says the Belgian field army had 22 divisions with some 600000 men in may 1940 (fully mobilized). I verified those numbers with another source.

That makes a discrepancy between WIF and history that becomes very obvious with a small army like Belgium and such nice unit writeups.

Should this be mentioned somewhere? Perhaps a small writeup on each minor country?

Maybe an information screen could be added to most minor countries in the declaration of war step that included the historical date the minor entered the war and the status at that point of its armed forces.

-Orm

Does Oxford Companion give any details about the 22 divisions and 600,000 men, or just the total counts?

Belgian Army had a peace time strength of 100.000 men. The mentioned corps strength of some 14.000 men must be peace time strength. All those Belgian div. strengths mentioned in the unit write-ups must be peace time strengthes: A fully mobilized Belgian div. alone fielded 3 regiments with 3.000 men each. Plus divisional arty, supply, etc. personnel, this easily could have amounted to some 15.000 men per div. According to another source a Belgian div had some 10.000 men. As mentioned above a Belgian corps fielded 2 divs. Thus a corps must have numbered 20.000 to 30.000 men, plus/including corps troops.

600.000 men divided to 22 divs would have amounted to some 27.000 men per div. This is obviously to much per div. As for the discrepancy between 27.000 and 10.000 to 15.000 men per div.: The calculation about 600.000 men divided to 22 divs. doesen't take into account:

1. the corps troops (at least several thousand men) and Army supply troops
2. that the 600.000 mobilization strength might include all armed forces, including air force (some 234 planes, 180 operational) and the very small navy.

Belgian mobilization had begun on 25 Aug. 1939, so in May 1940 they must have been fully mobilized.

Regards

Sources:
Andrew Mollow, The armed forces of WW2, p. 48-51.
The Oxford companion to WW2, p.121.
John Ellis, WW2, A statistical survey, p. 201.

< Message edited by wosung -- 7/6/2008 6:43:25 PM >

Post #: 932
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 7/7/2008 3:09:50 PM   
meisterchow

As I mentioned before, I found information showing 9 Corps for the Belgians as opposed to the three in WiF.  That accounts for a lot more men, before you hit the air corps and those involved in support (supply services, etc.).

'Fear God and dread nought'
Coat of Arms Motto of Baron Fisher, of Kilverstone

(in reply to wosung)
Post #: 933
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 7/7/2008 4:14:21 PM   
wosung

Yeah, I came up with 8 corps (1.-7., plus Cav. Corps) with 22 Divs altogether (7. Corps = Ardennes Rifle Corps in Namur). There were 3 Army Corps Areas (Brussels, Antwerp, Liège). Perhaps only these were counted?! But think, it's like: 22 Belgian divs ammount to 3 WIF corps, due to 7 Divs of a WIF minor Country are counted as one Minor Country corps.

Anyway, who am I to wifzen this OOB? I'm critical to it myself. OOB issues seem to be a frequent topic on WIF forums. If you take a closer look at WIFS OOb you'll find lots of ahistorical play-balancing, national generic corps/armies (based on total divs. and national combat performance) and even hypothetical units. All this simply means that not every single corps/army of WW2 is represented in WIF.

Regards

(in reply to meisterchow)
Post #: 934
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 7/7/2008 8:31:51 PM   
meisterchow

Exactly.

(in reply to wosung)
Post #: 935
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 7/9/2008 10:10:42 AM   
michaelbaldur

quote:

ORIGINAL: wosung

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

This looks very nice.

But it also made me think about the size of the Belgian army and I couldn't get the math to add. So what I have to say is in no way critisism on the writeup but more a question about math.

With these exellent writeups it becomes easy to compare the units of WIF with the historical OOB (Order Of Battle) and numbers of soldiers in the units.

In WIF Belgium has 3 corps and 1 reserve corps. The writeup says the "1st corps" has 2 divisions and some 14000 men. Since I haven't seen the writeup for the other corps I asume for this argument that they have 3 divisions each and 22000 soldiers. That gives the entire Belgian WIF army 11 divisions with 80000 men including the reserve.

Oxfords Companion to WWII says the Belgian field army had 22 divisions with some 600000 men in may 1940 (fully mobilized). I verified those numbers with another source.

That makes a discrepancy between WIF and history that becomes very obvious with a small army like Belgium and such nice unit writeups.

Should this be mentioned somewhere? Perhaps a small writeup on each minor country?

Maybe an information screen could be added to most minor countries in the declaration of war step that included the historical date the minor entered the war and the status at that point of its armed forces.

-Orm

Does Oxford Companion give any details about the 22 divisions and 600,000 men, or just the total counts?

Belgian Army had a peace time strength of 100.000 men. The mentioned corps strength of some 14.000 men must be peace time strength. All those Belgian div. strengths mentioned in the unit write-ups must be peace time strengthes: A fully mobilized Belgian div. alone fielded 3 regiments with 3.000 men each. Plus divisional arty, supply, etc. personnel, this easily could have amounted to some 15.000 men per div. According to another source a Belgian div had some 10.000 men. As mentioned above a Belgian corps fielded 2 divs. Thus a corps must have numbered 20.000 to 30.000 men, plus/including corps troops.

600.000 men divided to 22 divs would have amounted to some 27.000 men per div. This is obviously to much per div. As for the discrepancy between 27.000 and 10.000 to 15.000 men per div.: The calculation about 600.000 men divided to 22 divs. doesen't take into account:

1. the corps troops (at least several thousand men) and Army supply troops
2. that the 600.000 mobilization strength might include all armed forces, including air force (some 234 planes, 180 operational) and the very small navy.

Belgian mobilization had begun on 25 Aug. 1939, so in May 1940 they must have been fully mobilized.

Regards

Sources:
Andrew Mollow, The armed forces of WW2, p. 48-51.
The Oxford companion to WW2, p.121.
John Ellis, WW2, A statistical survey, p. 201.

what about the army in congo .... are they part of the 600.000 ...

the wif rulebook is my bible

I work hard, not smart.

beta tester and Mwif expert

if you have questions or issues with the game, just contact me on Michaelbaldur1@gmail.com

(in reply to wosung)
Post #: 936
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 7/9/2008 10:22:53 AM   
wosung

Good question. But I don't think, that the Congo Forces are counted with the metropolitan forces.

Belgian Congo forces (Force Publique) composed of 40.000 men, probably the usual native-metropolitan mixture of a late colonial force, whose main responsibility wasn't militarily but those of an internal  security force. Nevertheless, the Force Publique participated in the East African Campaign.

Oh and, after the allied liberation of Belgium, a new Belgian Army was constituted which fielded some 75.000 men during the last months of WW.
Source: The Oxford companion of WW2, P. 120.

Regards

(in reply to michaelbaldur)
Post #: 937
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 7/9/2008 3:47:20 PM   
jesperpehrson

When I get back I will post the screenshot for the Belgian Congo Forces

(in reply to wosung)
Post #: 938
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 7/9/2008 8:19:07 PM   
Grymme

Estimations of the size of belgian army in spring 1940 varies between 350-750 000 in total personel. One of the most trustworthy sources say that the belgian army in the spring of 1940 was organized in 6 1st grade INF division, 6 Reserve INF division, 2 Ardenne jaegerdivisions and 4 light divisions. The Jaeger divisions where the same strenght as a regular INF division but also had a weak motorized artillery division. The light divisions consisted of 1 bicycleregiment and 2 motorcycleregiments each.

The whole field force of the belgian army is accounted as at least 350 000 personel. This means that reserves, covertroops, fortresstroops and so on could account for at most 400 000 manpower.

Source:Second World War vol2 page 753ff (this is a 7 volume series of books written during the war [in swedish]).

(in reply to jesperpehrson)
Post #: 939
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 7/9/2008 9:34:33 PM   
wosung

Wow, we all are collecting quite a bit info about Belgian Army!

Regards

(in reply to Grymme)
Post #: 940
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 7/10/2008 2:33:36 AM   
michaelbaldur

you should read .......osprey - fortress 030 - eben emael

really nice book ...

I work hard, not smart.

if you have questions or issues with the game, just contact me on Michaelbaldur1@gmail.com

(in reply to wosung)
Post #: 941
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 7/10/2008 2:37:16 AM   
michaelbaldur

quote:

ORIGINAL: wosung

Good question. But I don't think, that the Congo Forces are counted with the metropolitan forces.

Belgian Congo forces (Force Publique) composed of 40.000 men, probably the usual native-metropolitan mixture of a late colonial force, whose main responsibility wasn't militarily but those of an internal security force. Nevertheless, the Force Publique participated in the East African Campaign.

Oh and, after the allied liberation of Belgium, a new Belgian Army was constituted which fielded some 75.000 men during the last months of WW.
Source: The Oxford companion of WW2, P. 120.

Regards

france had alot of africa units in the home defence army .... dont think that belgium was very diffent ...

< Message edited by michaelbaldur -- 7/10/2008 2:38:11 AM >

I work hard, not smart.

(in reply to wosung)
Post #: 942
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 7/18/2008 2:24:43 PM   
Sabre21

Hey everyone

To help alleviate a small amount of the stress on Steve, I've volunteered to coordinate the Naval write-ups. I will maintain a master list and provide a copy to Steve on a regular basis. It looks like about half of the list of 1112 is either finished or actively being worked on.

So for those of you that are working on the naval write-ups, if you could pass them on to me once completed so I can get them onto the master list.

Sabre

(in reply to michaelbaldur)
Post #: 943
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 7/18/2008 9:33:14 PM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sabre21

Hey everyone

To help alleviate a small amount of the stress on Steve, I've volunteered to coordinate the Naval write-ups. I will maintain a master list and provide a copy to Steve on a regular basis. It looks like about half of the list of 1112 is either finished or actively being worked on.

So for those of you that are working on the naval write-ups, if you could pass them on to me once completed so I can get them onto the master list.

Sabre

Good. You did a great job for the Air units writeups, I'm happy you propose that. I hope Steve will agree.

(in reply to Sabre21)
Post #: 944
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 7/18/2008 11:30:04 PM   
Sabre21

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp

quote:

Hey everyone

Sabre

Good. You did a great job for the Air units writeups, I'm happy you propose that. I hope Steve will agree.

Actually Steve proposed it and for better or worse I accepted.

Hmm..something doesn't sound right about that last statement

Sabre

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 945
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 7/18/2008 11:59:01 PM   
Froonp

quote:

quote:

Sabre

No problems for me if you and Steve get to Marry. You seem to be two good chaps, so this will be fun to be invited !

(in reply to Sabre21)
Post #: 946
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 7/19/2008 12:05:19 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

Sabre

No problems for me if you and Steve get to Marry. You seem to be two good chaps, so this will be fun to be invited !

Guys - I`m sure you`re both consenting adults and can do what you like. Just one thing though - NO HONEYMOON UNTIL THIS GAME IS FINISHED!!

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 947
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 7/19/2008 2:39:01 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

Sabre

Guys - I`m sure you`re both consenting adults and can do what you like. Just one thing though - NO HONEYMOON UNTIL THIS GAME IS FINISHED!!

One difficulty is that my wife and I had our 37th wedding anniversary yesterday - to be celebrated this evening. I still need to go out and buy 37 roses: 12 red, 12 pink, 12 yellow, and 1 white. The date is easy to remember: 7/17/71 (or 17/7/71 for Europeans).

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 948
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 7/19/2008 3:01:15 AM   
Sabre21

I figured that would bring on a rash of comments from the peanut gallery

Well had I stayed married..and stayed alive and sane during that time..I would be coming up on my 32nd..

Sabre

PS: Gratz for making it that far Steve..hopefully you'll last another 37.

< Message edited by Sabre21 -- 7/19/2008 3:02:14 AM >

Post #: 949
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 7/26/2008 1:50:29 PM   
Orm

quote:

I mailed you 2 weeks ago and I got no reply. I send you a PM with my email.

-Orm

Post #: 950
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 7/26/2008 1:56:25 PM   
jesperpehrson

quote:

quote:

-Orm

Vacation took hold of me, emailed you just now

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 951
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 7/26/2008 5:26:56 PM   
Froonp

quote:

quote:

-Orm

Your avatar has white corners.
Here is one with transparent corners.
Please keep it GIF so that it keeps the good corners.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 952
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 8/5/2008 1:59:11 PM   
jesperpehrson

Status-report on Landunits (all countries):
785 out of 1062 units done (74%)

DONE:
Siberian Russia 4/4 (Adam) DONE!
Finland 8/8 (Adam) DONE!
Rumania 10/10 (Adam) DONE!
Mongolia 1/1 (Adam) DONE!
Switzerland 6/6 (Adam) DONE!
Phillipines 1/1 (Adam) DONE!
Afghanistan 2/2 (Adam) DONE!
Australia 8/8 (Michaelbaldur) DONE!
New Zeeland 3/3 (Michaelbaldur) DONE!
South Africa 5/5 (Michaelbaldur) DONE!
Denmark 1/1 (Michaelbaldur) DONE!
Norway 3/3 (Michaelbaldur) DONE!
Poland 14/14 (Michaelbaldur) DONE!
AOI 1/1 (Mziln) DONE!
Formosa 1/1 (Mziln) DONE!
Croatia 1/1 (Capitan) DONE!
Ecuador 1/1 (Capitan) DONE!
Peru 1/1 (Capitan) DONE!
French Somalia 1/1 (Capitan) DONE!
Ivory Coast 1/1 (Capitan) DONE!
French Sudan 1/1 (Capitan) DONE!
Middle Congo 1/1 (Capitan) DONE!
Niger 1/1 (Capitan) DONE!
Indo-China 1/1 (Capitan) DONE!
N. East Indies 2/2 (Capitan) DONE!
Belgian Congo 1/1 (Capitan) DONE!
Saudi Arabia 1/1 (Capitan) DONE!
Iraq 2/2 (Capitan) DONE!
Liberia 1/1 (Capitan) DONE!
Cameroon 1/1 (Capitan) DONE!
Gabon 1/1 (Capitan) DONE!
Madagascar 1/1 (Capitan) DONE!
Morroco 1/1 (Capitan) DONE!
Algeria 2/2 (Capitan) DONE!
Tunisia 1/1 (Capitan) DONE!
Syria 2/2 (Capitan) DONE!
Sudan 1/1 (Capitan) DONE!
Nigeria 2/2 (Capitan) DONE!
Sierra Leone 1/1 (Capitan) DONE!
British Somalialand 1/1 (Capitan) DONE!
Egypt 2/2 (Capitan) DONE!
Kenya 1/1 (Capitan) DONE!
Uganda 1/1 (Capitan) DONE!
Tanganyika 1/1 (Capitan) DONE!
Northern Rhodesia 1/1 (Capitan) DONE!
Southern Rhodesia 1/1 (Capitan)
Palestine 1/1 (Capitan) DONE!
Aden 1/1 (Capitan) DONE!
New Caledonia 1/1 (Capitan) DONE!
Thailand 1/1 (Capitan) DONE!
Northern Ireland 1/1 (Capitan) DONE!
Burma 2/2 (Capitan) DONE!
Sweden 13/13 (Toed) DONE!
Ireland 2/2 (bj_rodhe) DONE!
Hungary 6/6 (Grisouille) DONE!
Bulgaria 3/3 (Grisouille) DONE!
France 68/68(Grisouille)DONE
Greece 4/4 (Grisouille) DONE!
SS-Germany 19/19 (Grisouille) DONE!
Netherlands 2/2 (Grisouille) DONE!
Yugoslavia 9/9 (Dale) DONE!
Bolivia 1/1 (Jeff) DONE!
Paraguay 1/1 (Jeff) DONE!
Colombia 1/1 (Jeff) DONE!
Uruguay 1/1 (Jeff) DONE!
Zoya and Tito 2/2 (MarcusWatney) DONE!
Communist China 18/18 (Wosung) DONE!
Nat. China 38/38 (Wosung) DONE!
Belgium 4/4 (Charlie Lewis) DONE!

ASSIGNED but NOT DONE:
USA 80/99 (Adam)
Russia 143/146 (Adam)
Ukraine 0/8 (Adam)
Korea 0/2 (Wosung)
Manchuko 0/4 (Wosung)
Italy 37/61 (Jimm)
Libya 0/3 (Jimm)
Eritrea 0/1 (Jimm)
Italian Somalialand 0/2 (Jimm)
Germany 92/128 (Capitan)
Senegal 1/2 (Capitan)
UK 31/57 (Rob)
Canada 9/10 (Rob)
India 3/13 (Rob)
Mexico 0/6 (Jeff)
Panama 0/2 (Jeff)
Venezuela 0/1 (Jeff)
Chile 0/2 (Jeff)
Iran/Persia 0/2 (Herulf)
Portugal 0/2 (Doug)
Turkey 1/13 (Doug)
Austria 0/3 (SGT Rice)
Ethiopia 1/6 (SGT Rice)

UNASSIGNED:
Nat. Spain 2/14
Rep. Spain 1/14
Czeckoslovakia 1/15
Japan 65/76
Brasil 0/5
Argentina 0/3

-------------
"NEW UNITS" 16/61

Also the ART (including ART, AA and AT) for all nations is being done by STABILO

Anyone who like to pitch in with any of the unassigned countries is welcome to take part! Just send me a PM and I will help you get started!

- Capitan

< Message edited by capitan -- 8/6/2008 3:26:48 PM >

Post #: 953
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 8/5/2008 3:06:03 PM   
jesperpehrson

quote:

As promised:

Attachment (1)

Post #: 954
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 8/5/2008 6:44:57 PM   
Froonp

quote:

quote:

As promised:

Spelling : beligum instead of belgium, 1st para

Post #: 955
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 8/5/2008 7:15:13 PM   
jesperpehrson

quote:

quote:

quote:

As promised:

Spelling : beligum instead of belgium, 1st para

Doh! My misstake unfortunatly...

Fixed now!

In other news several of my fellow writers are reporting progress and I just recieved batches of ART from Klaus and American corps and divs from Adam. Doug even sent a friend to Turkey to research some of the finer details of Mustafa Kemals army.

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 956
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 8/6/2008 1:51:14 PM   
meisterchow

I did some research on the Argentines and Brazilians but couldn't find information on anything that matched up with WiF Counters.  I could provide a general overview of their respective military strengths.  Would that be at all useful?

Post #: 957
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 8/6/2008 3:05:08 PM   
jesperpehrson

Please send me such an overview and I will see what I can dig up on Argentina and Brazil. It is really not easy on the larger countries that did not go to war on any larger scale.

Post #: 958
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 8/7/2008 4:23:49 PM   
meisterchow

Between my wife's 40th birthday and some stuff here at work this week is shot.  However, I should be able to compile what I've found into something useful next week. :)

Post #: 959
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 8/18/2008 9:52:59 AM   
Eichenblatt

Just a quick question - will the (excellent) unit descriptions be available in some sort of archive or similar or will you be required to start a game in order to access the information on the units? I think that it would be great to have some sort of archive accessible from the start page of the game for those that just want to enjoy the graphics and descriptions of the units.

Steve et al. - keep up the great work! I am sure that this will be the finest grand strategy wargame of all times!

/Dave 

Post #: 960
Page:   <<   < prev  30 31 [32] 33 34   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land Page: <<   < prev  30 31 [32] 33 34   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI