Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: ARR III

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> After Action Reports >> RE: ARR III Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: ARR III - 11/12/2006 9:18:02 PM   
Hard Sarge

Just a odd battle, but I enjoyed it

my Div has 2 muskets and the rest had IWs which means, I not got much of a chance

but when I got the chance to pick the terrain, this is what I was hoping for, a nice hill

got the Muskets to the flanks a little bit, but they will only be able to hit something comes in close

the Union troops that tried to come in close, got hammered, and then I was able to shuffle my troops around each time the Union came close, soon, the Union looked over the defence and gave up

which would say, the Union did not really have any weapons with any range either, so they could not sit back and fire away

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 91
RE: ARR III - 11/12/2006 9:19:35 PM   
Hard Sarge

opps should explain a little more

Bee was able to move forward and get a flank attack in, and then Johnson who is behind Bee was able to take his place and fire his muskets into the Union

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 92
RE: ARR III - 11/12/2006 9:32:00 PM   
Gil R.

It's worth noting that you can finally see the battlefield smoke. It's been in the game all along, but the link to the relevant graphics files was off a bit. That's been fixed, so now you get to see the battlefield fill with smoke, which can eventually affect the troops' sighting.

One of our tech upgrades is smokeless powder, which avoids that problem.

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 93
RE: ARR III - 11/12/2006 9:49:23 PM   
Hard Sarge

LOL
I was waiting for some one to ask what was wrong with my picture :)

I still waiting to see my big boomers to show off

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 94
RE: ARR III - 11/12/2006 10:02:19 PM   
Hard Sarge

if it works once

now this time, my back row has Richmound Musket, Whitworth (sharpshooter skill) and a Enfields, front row is 2 muskets and another Richmound Musket, the backside Bde is a Garrison armed with a Springfield

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 95
RE: ARR III - 11/14/2006 12:43:54 AM   
Hard Sarge

and don't give me a idea

the AoP has attacked, and the ANV is a little shy of troops, well, not too shy :)

this ended up being the strong defence I have ever seen or made

of course, I almost got too greedy and charged out of my lines too soon, but, I took my time on my movement, and was able to hold my ground with the next wave tried to wash over me

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 96
RE: ARR III - 11/14/2006 12:46:25 AM   
Hard Sarge

as you can, I got 4 Bdes in reserves, along with 2 Bdes of Cav,I got 3 suppy wagons that can reach almost the whole battle line

most of the front line is Muskets while the hill line is Minnies and there is a 6 pounder on the hill top

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 97
RE: ARR III - 11/14/2006 12:48:16 AM   
Hard Sarge

the troops have been called forth, the Cav is taking it's time waiting for the right momment to get into action

you also get to see how the front line gets covered in smoke

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 98
RE: ARR III - 11/14/2006 12:50:15 AM   
Hard Sarge

and the last shot is just to show what the defence really looked like

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 99
RE: ARR III - 11/15/2006 9:02:12 PM   
Hard Sarge

this was a good fun battle, in the open with the CSA on the attack and the Union on defence

Robert E and HARDee's Corps are on the move, the Pride of the CSA has moved into Ohio

first day is spent moving the forces to contact and the once the enemy has been found, digging in and starting the battle

Roberts two Arty Bdes reach the battle line just before night begins to fall and fire off a couple of vollies to let the Union know that there time in limited

HARDee sends a note to Jeff, that he would like to have some Arty too, hell, that upstart Cooper has 3 Bdes of guns, not to mention the 2 seige batteys he keeps bragging about (of course, HARDee is not to going to give Cooper his due, since 2 of those Bdes were Union and the cost in Capturing them was high)

as soon as the sun sets, the CSA begins to move forward and then dig in again

(this is the south of the battle, Robert's area)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 100
RE: ARR III - 11/15/2006 9:03:58 PM   
Hard Sarge

(this is the Northern End, HARDees, he is faceing more troops and a tuffer nut to crack)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 101
RE: ARR III - 11/15/2006 9:10:45 PM   
Hard Sarge

because of Command zones and terrian, HARDee is not able to flank his foe, so must just close in, dig in and fire away, plus he does not really have much in weapons, a few Enfields, and Richmound Muskets, the rest are Minies and Muskets

by the afternoon of the 2nd day, a few of the southern Union troops have finally broke, and that allows Robert E to start closing the noose, shortly before night fall, 4 Bdes have been captured and at least 2 Bdes have died in place, but the south has been cleared, the Union troops in the north, gamble and begin to try and over power HARDees troops before Lee is able to join forces

HARDee had 4 Bdes in Reserve and this come in handy, as a number of the CSA front line troops fall to the counter charge, but once the Reserve close in, the battle is over, the Union troops that can, begin to leave the battle field

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 102
RE: ARR III - 11/15/2006 10:03:28 PM   
Joram

So the last couple picks show the same battle? I'm surprised on just how spread everything is - it's like you're fighting two separate battles. Is that common?

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 103
RE: ARR III - 11/15/2006 10:23:28 PM   
Gil R.

Antietam was at least three different battles, in a sense. Our larger battles can replicate that.

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 104
RE: ARR III - 11/17/2006 6:48:32 PM   
elmo3

Is there any orders delay built into the tactical battles? IOW am I only the commanding general on the field and it takes a while for my orders to get to subordinates, or am I every commander who can instantly order troops as needed? Thanks.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 105
RE: ARR III - 11/18/2006 6:56:59 PM   
elmo3

This is falling off the front page. Can anyone answer the above tactical question? Thanks.

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 106
RE: ARR III - 11/18/2006 7:10:32 PM   
jchastain

quote:

ORIGINAL: elmo3

This is falling off the front page. Can anyone answer the above tactical question? Thanks.

There is no delay, so you are every commander (though it is still possible for units to go out of your control).

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 107
RE: ARR III - 11/18/2006 7:43:12 PM   
elmo3

Thanks. So I assume if they are out of command then you can't move them at all, otherwise they move without delay.

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 108
RE: ARR III - 11/18/2006 8:04:48 PM   
jchastain

quote:

ORIGINAL: elmo3

Thanks. So I assume if they are out of command then you can't move them at all, otherwise they move without delay.

Not quite. When units move too far from the command structure (notice the yellow/red move arrows - they signify there is a risk) or if they come under tremendous fire, there is a chance they will go "out of control". When that happens, they act independently of your orders - you can't give them orders, they decide one their own (AI) what to do. Your generals on the field can bring them back under control, but have to specifically choose which units to bring back under command each turn.

But yes, other than that they respond more or less immediately - though it is a we-go system so there are various initiative rounds and the chance that your opponents will do something that disrupts you. And there is also a chance that orders will be confused and they won't end up quite where you intended (though there is some intelligence to that - units going to a well defined landmark tend to get there while those in terrain that is very similar have a far greater chance not ending up slightly away from their intended location).

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 109
RE: ARR III - 11/18/2006 8:21:42 PM   
elmo3

Thanks for the added details.

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 110
RE: ARR III - 11/18/2006 10:13:43 PM   
Gil R.

In detailed battle, as noted, out-of-command units are run by the AI, so they do take actions when their turn comes up, and often those actions are very effective. But one wants to be in command, of course, and therefore one tries to regain control of such units at the earliest opportunity.

And having the "Signal Corps" upgrade, as I do, is very good because units are less likely to go out of command.

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 111
RE: ARR III - 11/18/2006 10:22:15 PM   
jchastain

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gil R.

In detailed battle, as noted, out-of-command units are run by the AI, so they do take actions when their turn comes up, and often those actions are very effective. But one wants to be in command, of course, and therefore one tries to regain control of such units at the earliest opportunity.

And having the "Signal Corps" upgrade, as I do, is very good because units are less likely to go out of command.

Of course, having the two-way radio upgrade like *I* do is even better.

(See how effectively I seeded that disinformation? It will take him weeks to figure out that there isn't a two-way radio upgrade since radios haven't yet been invested. But in the mean time, I am sure he'll be in complete disarray.)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 112
RE: ARR III - 11/18/2006 10:27:23 PM   
marecone

quote:

ORIGINAL: jchastain

Of course, having the two-way radio upgrade like *I* do is even better.

(See how effectively I seeded that disinformation? It will take him weeks to figure out that there isn't a two-way radio upgrade since radios haven't yet been invested. But in the mean time, I am sure he'll be in complete disarray.)

And be sure to tell him about these vehicles

"I have never, on the field of battle, sent you where I was unwilling to go myself; nor would I now advise you to a course which I felt myself unwilling to pursue."

Nathan Bedford Forrest

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 113
RE: ARR III - 11/19/2006 3:13:01 AM   
Hard Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joram

So the last couple picks show the same battle? I'm surprised on just how spread everything is - it's like you're fighting two separate battles. Is that common?

battles can be close or can be spead out, this one was spead out based on the terrain

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 114
RE: ARR III - 11/29/2006 10:37:55 PM   
marecone

Hard Sarge, would you be so nice and post more AAR's from tactical level display?
Something like your favorite battle or anything. Just post, please.
Thanks

"I have never, on the field of battle, sent you where I was unwilling to go myself; nor would I now advise you to a course which I felt myself unwilling to pursue."

Nathan Bedford Forrest

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 115
RE: ARR III - 11/29/2006 11:14:58 PM   
Hard Sarge

Hi Marecone

oh, with the other ones running, I thought I was back on the testing side again :)

hopefully, you will be able to get to your own AARs shortly

I in the middle of some background checks, I will see what I can do

(hmm, I been doing some work with the Croatian map area, for BTR this week, hopefully I got most of it right)

(in reply to marecone)
Post #: 116
RE: ARR III - 11/29/2006 11:40:05 PM   
marecone

From your mouth to God ears
BTW, if you need any help with Croatian map, let me know.

Nathan Bedford Forrest

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 117
RE: ARR III - 11/29/2006 11:47:57 PM   
freeboy

Sorry if this was covered but since I did not see it, are captured troops and leaders handled differently than in COG

(in reply to marecone)
Post #: 118
RE: ARR III - 11/30/2006 3:04:38 AM   
Hard Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: freeboy

Sorry if this was covered but since I did not see it, are captured troops and leaders handled differently than in COG

Yes, if you take POW, they are out of the game now

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 119
RE: ARR III - 11/30/2006 11:14:30 PM   
Hard Sarge

with the release, I started up my new game

playing on Lt, with +1 power to the AI Union

which Had a very good (and long) set of battles

Rober E moved the ANV up towards Wheeling (leaveing a Corps and a Div behind)

one Div in Vig rushes to Parkersburg while the other tries to rush to Wheeling

2 of my Divs in Kentucky pull back into Tenn and the other two race to Tenn-Miss-River

10th Div hops on the train and heads towards Alanta, and I try to combine my troops out west

the Union tries to pull it's troops out of Vir and heads towards Wheeling

the Army of Kentucky also heads towards Wheeling and catchs one of my Bdes on the move (and runs it off with its tail between its legs)

a short sharp fight begins in Wheeling, the numbers are close, so I try to stand my ground, but it looks like the Union screams for help (I am thinking it is pulling troops from Parkersburg)

I win the battle, barely and the Union retreats, right into the face of my other Div that is on the move in Parkersburg, But the numbers are way out of line !, the dogs also called in the Army of Kentucky

I am able to send out the call for Robert and the ANV joins the battle also, not many show up, but they are on there way

another good battle, and the Union retreats back into Wheeling

oh geeesh

large numbers are facing off my little old Div, the call for help goes out, but I am able to only bring in a small Div, I got close to the prefect battlefield and am able to use the terrain and fight off the Union Hordes

and again the Union retreats, right into the face of the ANV (of Course, Lee and his friends are sitting in Grafton)

my 2 6pound Bdes are kept busy, along with my Cav and the Union is again forced to retreat (there morale is getting totally shocked)

another battle in Wheeling, but there heart is not in it, followed by a short battle in Parkersburg

and the turn ends (which of course, there was the large battle in Tenn-River, which was a close run thing)

one of my Bdes

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> After Action Reports >> RE: ARR III Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI