Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Generals Bios Project

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Generals' Biographies Project >> RE: Generals Bios Project Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Generals Bios Project - 12/27/2007 5:00:05 AM   
Jonah

Sorry for all the questions.

(in reply to Jonah)
Post #: 151
RE: Generals Bios Project - 12/27/2007 5:30:16 AM   
Gil R.

It's part of the game. When you install FOF, you create a "Matrix Games" folder inside of which there's the "Forge of Freedom" folder, and inside that are a bunch of sub-folders, including "Data."

(in reply to Jonah)
Post #: 152
RE: Generals Bios Project - 12/27/2007 5:48:57 AM   
Jonah

Ahh. Thanks Gil!

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 153
RE: Generals Bios Project - 9/6/2008 3:36:09 PM   
Xerkis

Did a search and saw the name listed only once in a list of generals - but was wondering if the is a bios being done (or is already done) for Brig General James Nagle? I'm a 6 generation descendant of his. So it has a big personal interest for me.
Thanks,

(in reply to Jonah)
Post #: 154
RE: Generals Bios Project - 9/6/2008 7:20:55 PM   
Gil R.

Xerkis,
No, no one has done Nagle yet. Would you like to do it? It would be great to have you write his bio. (Note: The character limit is 3900.)

Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.

(in reply to Xerkis)
Post #: 155
RE: Generals Bios Project - 9/6/2008 10:41:18 PM   
Xerkis

Now that would be a huge honor!

You mean to tell me you have him in the game? He isn’t in all that many history books.

I just today purchased the game – and have been trying all day to figure it out – so I would want to look at other bios first, to see how they are being done.

Is there a dead line on when to get it done?

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 156
RE: Generals Bios Project - 9/6/2008 11:10:13 PM   
Gil R.

He's definitely in there. We have more than 1000 generals in the game (which includes a heck of a lot of brevet generals, perhaps a decision we should have thought through more carefully). He's General#234. If you want to see his picture, go to the FOF folder, then GFX, then MUGSHOTS, and look for the file Gen234.pcx.

Since we have no bio for him his stats are currently randomized, but once you do your bio you can recommend historically accurate numbers and abilities. (I'll be watching for bias, so don't tell me he was "Superb" in each rating category! )

There's no deadline, but since our programming for "Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition" is winding down we will soon be releasing another FOF patch, and I could include your bio.

Incidentally, "Battleline," one of our two most prolific bio-writers, is a descendant of another general, Cullen Battle. He wrote that bio, as well as about two hundred others.

(in reply to Xerkis)
Post #: 157
RE: Generals Bios Project - 9/7/2008 12:57:57 AM   
Xerkis

That is awesome!

But like I said - I just got the game today - and still can't figure most of it out yet. You know what that means? Gonna have to read. So as far as saying what his stats might be - I will have to start with just one question.

Stats?... General?... Generals with stats??

OK - that was three questions.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 158
RE: Generals Bios Project - 9/7/2008 1:15:20 AM   
Gil R.

If you're starting off with the "Basic" game then you might not be seeing generals or stats. (I think they are only in the "Intermediate" and "Advanced" game.) Make sure that the options for generals are turned on next time you start a new game.

If you haven't already, you should watch our 4-min. promotional video (links can be found in a thread in the main part of the FOF forum), since that shows you how to point and click, move units, etc. It wasn't meant to be a tutorial, but can still be helpful.

(in reply to Xerkis)
Post #: 159
RE: Generals Bios Project - 9/3/2013 10:10:14 PM   
jeffk3510

I realize this is three years late..

What is the status of this and is anyone working on these, or are they all created?

If so, where are the files?

Thanks.

Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Currently chasing three kids around the Midwest.

(in reply to Jonah)
Post #: 160
RE: Generals Bios Project - 9/4/2013 12:02:30 AM   
Randomizer

This thread pre-dates the final patch and since Xerkis' biography of his ancestor BGen Nagle is included in the final version of Forge of Freedom, it's probably a safe bet that this has gone as far as it's likely to go.

The files themselves can be found in ...\Forge of Freedom\Data\Commanders.txt or ...\Forge of Freedom\Data\Commanders (no file extension but it opens with M$ EXCEL or Open Office CALC). I believe that the latter file is the one read by the game and that any changes made in the Commanders.txt file will not show up but that's a WAG.

Good Luck.

-C

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 161
RE: Generals Bios Project - 9/4/2013 8:49:22 PM   
jeffk3510

So there aren't really any updated bios then?

Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Currently chasing three kids around the Midwest.

(in reply to Randomizer)
Post #: 162
RE: Generals Bios Project - 10/20/2013 4:43:24 AM   
Gil R.

Sorry, I somehow missed this thread earlier.

I consider the bios project to be on hiatus, not over. Right now, when I do work on a WCS project it is BAB, for which I have a bunch of things I must do, such as finishing the manual and scenarios. But BAB is, of course, a Civil War game, and I am copying all pertinent bios. And then, as time permits, over time I'll edit the ones that Battleline, jkBluesman, and others wrote that never made it into FOF. And, as there are future BAB releases there will be more bios. So for now, no one is doing anything with these, but I absolutely intend to.

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 163
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Generals' Biographies Project >> RE: Generals Bios Project Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI