Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Better File Management

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> Maximum-Football 2.0 >> Suggestions / Wishlist >> Better File Management Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Better File Management - 11/5/2006 7:57:03 AM   
dreamtheatervt

I know this has been brought up before, but I really think think that these improvements are needed for long term enjoyment of the game. Please, we need better file management for plays. I really wish the game would support the creation and use of subfolders to organize plays. I would like to keep every offense or defense in a separate folder, especially with so many downloadable playbooks that are going to be available. It is very reasonable to expect two different people to have different definitions for specific terms and numbers. Having a lot of plays in one folder is not only frustrating to have to scroll for, it makes finding plays exponentially harder.

In addition, the disconnect between name plays in game and as they are listed in the file folder is equally frustrating. I realize it might be too late to do anything about this, but in-game support of folders would go a long way in helping.
Post #: 1
RE: Better File Management - 11/5/2006 4:11:03 PM   
nmleague

I agree, after creating many plays and playbooks the plays folder is just to large and plays get hard to find, especially if with the stock or plays downloaded.

It would be great if every playbook was a sub folder.

< Message edited by nmleague -- 11/5/2006 4:15:39 PM >

(in reply to dreamtheatervt)
Post #: 2
RE: Better File Management - 11/18/2006 12:49:41 AM   
Great White

nmleague and dreamtheatervt,

I gotcha your back on this one. I see no use of having saving ability to the Play Editor if it is not easier to find the plays and etc. Also, I have read that offensive and defensive plays are same into the same folder (maybe what is discussed here), that has to changed.

< Message edited by GWsFBAReservUrFBTeam -- 12/17/2006 9:33:33 PM >

Thank you. Not racist/favorite animal. Hate Madden/NCAA/Industry is behind. Past-coach/player/sports radio/referee, now-private: teacher/coach/owner-Great White's Sports Association-FootBall/Rugby/Lacrosse, planned-late ‘2010. Student/industry person? PM

(in reply to nmleague)
Post #: 3
RE: Better File Management - 1/20/2007 12:26:42 AM   
dreamtheatervt

Bump.

I have not downloaded any other playbooks or even created more playbooks because I don't want to have to deal with even more plays in an already crowded plays folder.

I beseech you Mr. Winter please make workable subfolders and mproved file management a top priority.  The game play experience has had it's major flaws ironed out, the PDS is nearing completion, but the file management is still in the dark ages.

(in reply to Great White)
Post #: 4
RE: Better File Management - 1/20/2007 1:16:16 AM   
garysorrell

Im not big on making plays, not yet anyway, but I do download user made playbooks and would definately like to be able to have them in their own folders.
In other words, im with dreamtheatervt on this one.

(in reply to dreamtheatervt)
Post #: 5
RE: Better File Management - 1/20/2007 2:18:02 AM   
MB Sports Net

File managment for teams is a big one too. Right now so far as I can tell it's a pain in the butt to import a created team's ratings and the like. Makes it difficult to simulate the CFL or any other league with teams created.

(in reply to garysorrell)
Post #: 6
RE: Better File Management - 1/21/2007 2:47:40 AM   
rcleslie

Let me add another vote in favor of better file management for plays.

(in reply to MB Sports Net)
Post #: 7
RE: Better File Management - 1/21/2007 9:23:13 PM   
David Winter

I'm working on a new system that will eventually replace what you have now. It will not be available for some time though and likely won't be in any updates to version 1 of the game.

That said, the reason all plays are in a single folder is simplicity. Being able to spread the plays around to other folders means plays can get lost. This usually happens when users fail to import downloaded plays into the right place. I've already noted a lot of users asking where to install plays they've downloaded and there's only one folder.

Spreading the plays around in other folders means I have to write a considerable amount of code validating plays and locations prior to the game being able to use them. The game is already slow enough simply because of all the validation it needs to do prior to doing pretty much anything. Adding popups and warnings to users telling them that their playbooks they just downloaded don't work because it can't find required files is just going to be frustrating to them.

You also end up with duplicate plays. Editing one copy of a play in one folder, does not edit it in the others. This means you'd have to open up every copy of the play in every folder and edit it separately. With files spread over multiple locations, file management becomes more difficult, not easier.

This is why everything is in one place.

quote:

Also, I have read that offensive and defensive plays are same into the same folder (maybe what is discussed here), that has to changed.

It really doesn't matter than they're all in the same folder because the game interface sorts them. You never see defensive, and offensive, and special teams plays lumped into the same lists. When you load a play in to the PDS, you select what play category you want and those are the plays displayed.

(in reply to rcleslie)
Post #: 8
RE: Better File Management - 1/21/2007 10:09:14 PM   
dreamtheatervt

Thanks for the word David.  I can rest happy knowing that this is a priority for you.

(in reply to David Winter)
Post #: 9
RE: Better File Management - 3/22/2007 3:55:43 AM   
Ambermonk

I don't have a problem with the plays all being in 1 folder - even offense & defense. What is key to me is the ability to have playbooks that know how to find specific plays in the big play folder. The playbook should be easily editable (i.e., adding, subtracting, rearranging the order, and just general organizing of the playbook).

Playbooks should be easily modifiable (say as an Excel spreadsheet - with which there is a general familiarity), and I wish they could be stored in the Team folders.

And I wish all the team info/data could be stored in individual folders so that it would be easy to develop a team and easily copy it to multiple leagues. Action Football is the leader in this area. You can mix & match any combination of teams throughout NFL history to create as many leagues as you want - with each league having it's own specific rules.

If this could be done, I think there would be an avalanch of people uploading team files for others to use. Maximum Football has such a great graphics package, I am looking forward to future versions being able to harness it more easily, and with greater flexibility./

(in reply to David Winter)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> Maximum-Football 2.0 >> Suggestions / Wishlist >> Better File Management Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI