Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

WTH????

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> WTH???? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
WTH???? - 11/9/2006 5:12:36 AM   
Gun Nut

I've been starting the "Long Road to Vic" campaign in current 8.4 and I notice this as with other campaigns some damn German tanks like Pzkpfw.IVG and III-M are freaking infantry and move like tanks same weapons but are very prone to routing and dying from HE rounds I wonder if there is any mod that can fix this gay crap...

Quantity is Quality!-Joseph Stalin
Post #: 1
RE: WTH???? - 11/9/2006 4:39:48 PM   
Gun Nut

Am I the only one stricken with this stupid problem?

Quantity is Quality!-Joseph Stalin

(in reply to Gun Nut)
Post #: 2
RE: WTH???? - 11/9/2006 4:44:16 PM   
jason.ferguson3

No, you are not. The AI must have those special HE rounds that act like baby nukes. I have given up playing the long road to victory for that very problem.

(in reply to Gun Nut)
Post #: 3
RE: WTH???? - 11/9/2006 4:49:18 PM   
Korpraali V

The reason for that is different version of SPWAW. The campaign was designed to some earlier vesion and in newer versions there are changes in OOBs. Those changes mean that for example in that tank-infantry case there's now tank unit in same OOB number where there used to be infantry unit. So when the campaign goes for infantry but OOB goes for tank, you'll get weird things like that.

You may:
1) Try it with some earlier version, if possible, or
2) Give up, or
3) Go to www.spwaw.com , download the Enhanced FV.1 Mod located on first page. Then register (free) and download the Long Road campaign updated for Enhanced Mod. With Mod you'll have new OOBs, values, graphics etc but you can still play the old version if you like to. That is because the Mod can be installed and uninstalled again and again. So you'll end up having two versions with two different sets.

Hope this helps.

< Message edited by Korpraali V -- 11/9/2006 4:54:40 PM >

(in reply to Gun Nut)
Post #: 4
RE: WTH???? - 11/9/2006 4:56:01 PM   
jason.ferguson3

I remember the days when a game was play tested prior to its release and the majority of the bugs were fixed. Now, it seems, the game shell is released and it is updated with patches. For the money spent, you would expect more than a shell.

(in reply to Korpraali V)
Post #: 5
RE: WTH???? - 11/9/2006 7:53:40 PM   
NoX

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gun Nut

I've been starting the "Long Road to Vic" campaign in current 8.4 and I notice this as with other campaigns some damn German tanks like Pzkpfw.IVG and III-M are freaking infantry and move like tanks same weapons but are very prone to routing and dying from HE rounds I wonder if there is any mod that can fix this gay crap...

I assume you are using the Enhanced mod, right? Long road to Victory should work fine whit spwaw version 8.4. However if you have changed your OOB's or installed the Enhanced mod there will be problems.

If you prefer to use the Enhanced mod for the original campaigns/scenarios then you will need to go here
and download the versions that are re-done to work whit the Enh mod.

Alternatively you can try the PlusMoD here. It is fully compatible whit all the original Campaigns and scenarios that came whit spwaw 8.2.

Third option is to play the old scenarios/campaigns whitout any mods installed, ofcourse then you will not get all the new user made graphics etc...

< Message edited by NoX -- 11/9/2006 8:52:57 PM >

Nox a.k.a Lahtinen

(in reply to Gun Nut)
Post #: 6
RE: WTH???? - 11/9/2006 9:57:00 PM   
FlashfyreSP

quote:

ORIGINAL: jason.ferguson3

I remember the days when a game was play tested prior to its release and the majority of the bugs were fixed. Now, it seems, the game shell is released and it is updated with patches. For the money spent, you would expect more than a shell.

The game was re-released in 2000; the original game is over 10 years old. No money is required for this game; it is a free download. Please get your facts straight before you make allegations. Thank You.

(in reply to jason.ferguson3)
Post #: 7
RE: WTH???? - 11/9/2006 10:42:57 PM   
jason.ferguson3

quote:

ORIGINAL: FlashfyreSP

quote:

The game was re-released in 2000; the original game is over 10 years old. No money is required for this game; it is a free download. Please get your facts straight before you make allegations. Thank You.

I am aware of the time frame, thanks. I awaited and purchased the original SP1 when it was released. If you purchase the game, physical shipment, it cost $79.00. I do believe my facts were straight prior to my post. The original post stated that there were problems with units routing for no reason and HE rounds causing too much damage. I posted my views and a gripe I have about having to download patches in order for something to work. Before making allegations towards me, please get your facts straight or keep your views of me to yourself. Thank you.

(in reply to FlashfyreSP)
Post #: 8
RE: WTH???? - 11/9/2006 11:43:37 PM   
Twotribes

Patches are a fact of life with any game. As is clearly indicated around this game, certain versions changed the OOB's , unless someone changes the Sceanrios using this new version, that sceanrio simply wont work as intended in that version of the game. Any official patch has been, to my knowledge, well tested. as well as any game on the market today.

Post #: 9
RE: WTH???? - 11/10/2006 12:44:25 AM   
Alby

'Enhanced' is not a patch...It is a Modification/Upgrade to 'standard' spwaw
We also took the time to go thru and edit a bunch of the old original campaigns so they would be playable.
http://spwaw.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=103
Some had oddities develop over the years even when using the 'standard' version.
With so many different OOB teams over the years backwards compatability was bound to take a hit somewhere.

< Message edited by Alby -- 11/10/2006 1:20:06 AM >

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 10
RE: WTH???? - 11/10/2006 12:51:26 AM   
azraelck

It is not an issue with the game, just the OoBs. And it's obvious to me that those OoBs were monkied with, since I fought through that very campaign early in my SPWaW career, and encountered no issues. Or maybe my version of 8.43 just happens to be different that anyone else's versions of 8.43 downloaded from the exact same location.

"Wait... Holden was a cat. Suddenly it makes sense."

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 11
RE: WTH???? - 11/10/2006 1:41:07 AM   
FlashfyreSP

quote:

quote:

quote:

I am aware of the time frame, thanks. I awaited and purchased the original SP1 when it was released. If you purchase the game, physical shipment, it cost $79.00. I do believe my facts were straight prior to my post. The original post stated that there were problems with units routing for no reason and HE rounds causing too much damage. I posted my views and a gripe I have about having to download patches in order for something to work. Before making allegations towards me, please get your facts straight or keep your views of me to yourself. Thank you.

You have only been playing the SPWAW version for a month or so, according to your statement made in another post; yet you immediately jump to the conclusion that it is a "bug", without first investigating what the original poster's configuration was. The problem indicated is most likely an OOB mismatch and not a "bug". The patches available for the game are not needed to make the game work.

Post #: 12
RE: WTH???? - 11/10/2006 2:27:42 AM   
KG Erwin

When I first started working with the SPWaW OOB teams, we were concerned with backwards compatibility for earlier scenarios.  That ended up as 8.3, which attempted to be all-things-to-all-gamers, but ended up satisfying no one. I now realize that was a big mistake.  We tried, put many hours into it, and failed.  We didn't have the input of Mike Wood, who could fully explain how the esoteric ratings work.   We were basically winging it.

With SPWaW being a free game, the door was wide open for a top-to- bottom rework of the OOBs.  This ended up being done by an independent team as an option. Original programmer Mike Wood also offered up some enhancements to the game engine, which became 8.4 and then 8.403.

The best thing Mike did was to give us a new OOB editor, which could take a given OOB database and standardize pricing, weapons ratings and ammo loadouts.  That was indeed a godsend.   

If we'd had this when 8.3 was being worked on, much grief could've been avoided.  C'est la vie.   

SPWaW Enhanced used these enhancements, but it has not been recognized as an official Matrix update, which only confuses the issue more.  

Jason, to you in particular, the existing Mega Campaigns, which Matrix designed in-house, were meant to be used with the official OOB database/shapes/icons as was current AT THAT TIME. 

In other words, with the game in flux over several years, one would have to have several OOB databases. This is what Mod-Swapper is all about.  You can insert plug-ins at will. 

As RE Romine mentioned, the only answer is a new game that would render SPWaW obsolete.  This has yet to happen. 

Now, given all that, I've learned much about why the game works the way it does. This is why I have said it isn't perfect. No game is. However, accepting SPWaW for it is AND isn't, it's still the best turn-based IMPRESSION of battalion-level combined arms WWII warfare that exists. It isn't a simulation.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 11/10/2006 2:39:22 AM >

(in reply to FlashfyreSP)
Post #: 13
RE: WTH???? - 11/10/2006 2:44:24 PM   
jason.ferguson3

I do apologize if I have offended anyone. I have read post in this forum for a while now and did not post for this very reason. I do enjoy the game, as with the others in the series, but I just had a gripe. It was not an attempt to bait anyone into an agrument or to offend the game designers, just an view of mine. I do not plan to post further questions/comments in the forum. I do plan to read post and learn more of the game but do not feel like bickering with people who are so sensitive.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 14
RE: WTH???? - 11/11/2006 1:11:45 AM   
Vyshka

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think that cost is based on the fact that it currently comes with the 4 Mega Campaigns bundled, which used to be ~ $20 a pop. The only way to get SPWAW shipped physically previously was to buy one of the Mega Campaigns. Otherwise you downloaded that huge 450MB file for free.

Post #: 15
RE: WTH???? - 11/11/2006 3:29:08 AM   
Korpraali V

quote:

I do not plan to post further questions/comments in the forum.

No need to, jason.ferguson3. If you have questions/comments, please post them.

Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> WTH???? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI