Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/20/2006 7:08:26 PM   
Gil R.

Twenty-sixth turn

This turn I go on the offensive. Winter is coming up, and soon winter movement rules will be in effect and I won't be able to move forces in to dislodge the enemy. So it's time to act.

First, the sieges. Jackson has been reduced somewhat, but still is at least a turn from falling. Tallahassee is in even better shape.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to spruce)
Post #: 301
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/20/2006 7:12:42 PM   
Gil R.

Both of my Raiders units successfully destroy supplies in Jackson, softening the enemy up for an attack. Unfortunately, one of the units was destroyed. I'll need 100 Horses to produce a new Raiders unit, and it will take two turns for the unit to appear, so I've lost an important weapon.

And, at the worst possible time, disease hits Jackson. The casualties don't bother me that much, but the lowering of disposition does. Both together might lead Jackson to fall too soon. (I wish that disease would spread to the enemy forces, but doubt that happened. If only I had thought of having a very sick "defector" head to their camp and cough on them...)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 302
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/20/2006 7:18:08 PM   
Gil R.

Having that governor help with diplomacy with England seems to be paying off, since I just gained 1 level. And my diverting 30 Money from French diplomacy in order to pay for troop upkeep and supplies, as expected, has hurt me there.

Gov. Moore of Alabama wants an Arsenal. Since these cost 20 Labor and 20 Iron and produce +2 Guns per turn I can afford it and could use it, so I end up honoring his request.

Regarding governors, this is the turn that elections will be held, and the next Political Report will reveal the results. My guess is that the citizens of the Union states, being down in Victory Points, will replace some pro-Lincoln Republican governors, while the CSA, which is up, will reelect most governors, and perhaps get rid of those who antagonize Jefferson Davis.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 303
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/20/2006 7:23:42 PM   
Gil R.

Here's Tennessee. The 1st Corps failed to move from Huntsville into Aberdeen last turn, but this may have been a blessing, since that Union force that I thought was heading to Hatchie to help maintain supply lines instead is trying to besiege Cumberland River. It's a very small force, and the Union should have learned its lesson about Fort Donelson's strength earlier in the year, so I can only conclude that this force has some siege artillery. Plus, that fleet of gunboats has disappeared from the map, so it must be in Cumberland River as well. So, I'll have to take the 1st Corps and attack. I should be able to trounce this small force.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 304
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/20/2006 7:24:50 PM   
Gil R.

The attack begins...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 305
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/20/2006 7:28:10 PM   
Gil R.

Still messing with the Union, I send the microscopic 14th Division into Hatchie. As always, it's set on "Avoid Battle." My thinking is that this army might finally be moving south, in which case my division will be unopposed as it converts Hatchie back to CSA territory, and cuts the railroad ilnes. And if the army is there, the worst that can happen is that I lose an inferior divisional container and a mediocre brigade.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 306
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/20/2006 7:31:56 PM   
Gil R.

Here's Mississippi at the start of the turn. I think that the Union made a mistake leaving Yazoo, where it would have had a defensive advantage. The full Union force in Jackson probably numbers around 60,000, but I think the 1st Corps can now take them, since it will be fully supplied, and be of superior quality. Anyway, I have to attack now, since the Union forces in Hatchie might decide to show up.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 307
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/20/2006 7:34:51 PM   
Gil R.

Thanks to my rather costly measure of putting the 4th Corps on High Supply it has gone from 36,000 men to 41,000.

Note that what used to be the 48th Infantry is now showing up as an artillery unit, but one with just a 1.71 quality. (If you scroll back up, you'll see that before the conversion its quality was 3.41. Over time, this unit's quality will improve.)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Gil R. -- 11/20/2006 7:40:07 PM >

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 308
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/20/2006 7:38:15 PM   
Gil R.

A low-quality artillery unit with 6-pounders won't do, so I upgrade to what I can afford -- a 24-pounder Howitzer. I can also afford the Napoleon, but the howitzer does more damage in up-close fighting, and has a better quick combat bonus. (PBEM battles are automatically resolved in quick combat, so this matters.)

Later on when I can afford it I'll upgrade to an Ordnance Rifle.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 309
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/20/2006 7:39:56 PM   
Gil R.

Figuring that if the force in Hatchie attacks it will come through Yazoo, I move by land into Jackson.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 310
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/20/2006 7:41:26 PM   
Gil R.

I then send the 4th Division into Yazoo, so that it can turn it back into CSA territory, and still be close enough to reinforce the 4th Corps in Jackson.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 311
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/20/2006 7:42:46 PM   
Gil R.

And then the Partisans unit goes into Jackson to destroy some more supplies.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 312
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/20/2006 7:44:29 PM   
Gil R.

Here's Virginia, where nothing has changed.

I'm still keeping the Army of Northern Virginia on No Supply and keeping the 4th Corps on High to steer reinforcements where they're most needed.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 313
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/20/2006 7:45:52 PM   
Gil R.

The only change I make is to send that division in the direction of Grafton and Parkersburg so that I can return them to CSA control, and enjoy getting a combing +4 Money/turn from them.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 314
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/20/2006 7:48:22 PM   
Gil R.

Over in Florida, it looks like the Union force is suffering from serious attrition. And, since it's just not their day, my fleet catches up to the Union fleet that is attempting to supply the Union corps. My guess is that the Union fleet will be forced to retreat -- possibly leading to the complete loss of the invading corps.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 315
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/20/2006 7:49:52 PM   
Gil R.

To end the turn, I promote A.P. Hill. I also have my Partisans and Raiders in Jackson attempt to destroy supplies. Unfortunately, neither has good odds of succeeding, and the danger is a bit too high for my taste, but it's critical that I weaken the Union forces there.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 316
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/20/2006 11:21:25 PM   
Grotius

One question: why do I see the Army markings (and General's name) over the AoP, but not over the Army of Northern Virginia?

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 317
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/21/2006 7:49:03 AM   
Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grotius

One question: why do I see the Army markings (and General's name) over the AoP, but not over the Army of Northern Virginia?

That indicates the presence of more than one container, i.e. a "stack." Remember, I started the turn with the ANV plus that small division I send to Kenawha both in Lynchburg. Next turn, with that division gone, all I'll have there will be an army and it should look just like the AoP.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 318
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/21/2006 6:51:09 PM   
Grotius

Ah, right. And I think jchastain said you have the option to display each unit individually, which might be my preference. I just think it's cool to see "R.E. Lee" on the map. :)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 319
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/21/2006 7:10:48 PM   
Gil R.

You're right. For the benefit of y'all, I should be doing that.

If ever I get to that next turn...

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 320
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/22/2006 4:25:50 PM   
Ironclad

Post moved to discussion thread.

< Message edited by Ironclad -- 11/22/2006 4:49:58 PM >

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 321
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/22/2006 5:49:32 PM   
Paper Tiger

Are we to guess that this AAR has been left on hold until after release to tease all of us who are waiting for the game even more?
Another dastardly Matrix plan to only do the next turn after everyone on here has bought their own copy of the game.
A cunning plan gentlemen and it just might work...

(in reply to Ironclad)
Post #: 322
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/22/2006 6:28:06 PM   
Gil R.

Not a ruse. Trust me, I want to know who wins the Battle of the Floridian Gulf, and whether even a single man makes it out of Florida to tell the tale. (From the last report I received on the size of that Union army there, I'd have to think that my secret weapon -- the alligator and cottonmouth population -- has entered the fray.)

(in reply to Paper Tiger)
Post #: 323
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/27/2006 9:49:04 AM   
Gil R.

Twenty-Seventh Turn

Well, this past turn had a mixture of successes and failures. Sadly, my attempt to relieve Jackson failed, leaving that city even closer to defeat.

First, the Events Report.

The Union began its siege in Cumberland River, and the fact that it has an "Excellent" artillery advantage indicates to me that that small Union force has some siege artillery (unlike last time, I believe), plus those dratted gunboats. For a Type III fort like Fort Donelson to go from 100% to 69% in a single turn is positively alarming. I'll need to do something about that force.

Jackson is down to 52%, and might last just one more turn, or could fall this turn. (As will be discussed below, I'm gambling that it can hold out a bit longer, since I need to strengthen my forces in the area before a final attack. If I'm going to chase the enemy away from Jackson, I have to give it my best shot.)

And in Tallahassee, the defensive rating is getting quite low, but I'm quite confident that the corps there will fail to take the city, since I've managed to minimze the amount of supply it will get.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 324
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/27/2006 9:57:56 AM   
Gil R.

On to the battles. First, it looks like the 1st Corps easily chased that besieging Union force out of Cumberland River. The lack of casualties suggests to me that the Union may have been set to "Avoid Battle," since they high-tailed it out of there.

Unfortunately, my attempt to have the 4th Corps relieve Jackson failed, though fortunately the casualties were light (just 1400). (I would love to know why I didn't win. I was fighting on my own terrain, and though outnumbered, I can't help but think my forces were superior AND the enemy was low on supplies.)

The most entertaining news is that my gambit of arming my Ironclads with Dahlgrens seems to have worked, since I first chased the Union fleet from the sea zone just offshore from Tallahassee, and then soundly defeated it one sea zone over. (More on this later.)

And then some bad news: my second Raiders unit was destroyed in Jackson, leaving me just with those Partisans. To produce more Raiders will take 100 Horses and two turns, meaning that they will not be able to help in Jackson. (When this turn starts I have more than enough Horses, but decide to put them to another use, as described below.)

This turn I also got two more Mints (every little bit helps) and a new Camp, giving me more of those reinforcements for which I'm so desperate.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 325
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/27/2006 10:00:01 AM   
Gil R.

And now some really bad news: disease hit the 1st Corps in Cumberland River just after it had arrived to relieve Fort Donelson. While the two Hospitals there help to minimize the losses, too many brigades had their dispositions drop.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 326
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/27/2006 10:15:06 AM   
Gil R.

Rather annoyingly, now Gen. Sibley has been killed in action (during the fighting to relieve Jackson). Also, my Blockade-Runners brough in some Iron, but this turn I have some wretched luck, since there are no runners' goods available at all.

Now on to governors, where some fascinating things happen. First, that ungrateful governor of Alabama, despite my having given him an Arsenal, now wants an Iron Works, which I can't possibly afford, much as I'd like to have one. Much more irritatingly, Gov. Brown of Georgia, who has been hostile since the game began, now is opposing Labor production, which means that each turn I'll receive lose 15 Labor because of him...

...but wait! November is the time for elections, and since things are going well for the Confederacy (as reflected in Victory Points and National Will) the good people of Georgia have thrown Brown out of office, replacing him with "firm ally" Herschel Johnson. The timing of this is absolutely perfect.

Only two other CSA governors were replaced: in South Carolina, the new governor (MaGrath) won't be too different from the former governor, but the Constitutional Unionist Andrew Donelson in Tennessee is from an opposition party and therefore could be trouble.

In contrast, the Union had a whole bunch of governors swept from office, and some of the new ones (Gove Saulsbury, Charles Wickliffe, Joel Parker, John Brough and Henry Dodge) are from opposition parties. This means that the Union is more likely to have trouble from its governors than it had before, which is all to the good...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Gil R. -- 11/27/2006 10:22:08 AM >

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 327
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/27/2006 10:15:47 AM   
Gil R.

Part 2.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 328
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/27/2006 10:20:19 AM   
Gil R.

Virginia is quiet. That division failed to move into Kenawha last turn, so I try to send it into Grafton from Abingdon, so as to make that CSA territory again.

It hasn't escaped my attention that the Union has no forces near Wheeling, so if I can build up that other division in Abingdon a little I'll see if it can retake Wheeling, which should give me some much-needed income. It will be a few turns, though.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 329
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/27/2006 10:24:31 AM   
Gil R.

And here's Florida in the aftermath of the naval battle. Note that the Union fleet is diminished in size. Also the corps is down to 10,417 men, while the garrison inside is still quite strong. That corps has got to be low on supply, as would be indicate by its diminished strength.

Unfortunately, after first having been chased from Apalache Bay to Mouth of the Mississippi, the second sea battle forced the Union fleet to retreat back to its original position, meaning that the corps is in sea-supply again. That's just bad luck -- if the fleet had been chased southward into Floridian Gulf that corps would be completely cut off by now.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 330
Page:   <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI