Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! Page: <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/30/2006 12:33:16 AM   
marecone

Yap. I belive that after the battle you should know enemy strenghth with let say 10% + or -

"I have never, on the field of battle, sent you where I was unwilling to go myself; nor would I now advise you to a course which I felt myself unwilling to pursue."

Nathan Bedford Forrest

(in reply to genie144)
Post #: 421
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/30/2006 12:37:29 AM   
spruce

I firmly agree with the 2 previous posters.

to come back on the amount of sieging troops displayed = seems logical to know the exact strength of the sieging troops after some turns of siege - but not from the start I guess -and it seems many gambles are made based on these very accurate troop numbers. But again - what is feasable to program and what are other priorities ...

< Message edited by spruce -- 11/30/2006 12:42:24 AM >

(in reply to marecone)
Post #: 422
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 12/4/2006 6:43:20 AM   
Gil R.

Thirtieth Turn

Now was I? Oh, right, beating back the Union's advances on multiple fronts...

As the Event Report show, the Tallahassee siege is going nowhere, while the one in Jackson has been terminated. (Tallahassee might still fall as its defenses are worn away even if the garrison remains strong, but I've taken measures to see that it doesn't.)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to spruce)
Post #: 423
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 12/4/2006 6:45:21 AM   
histgamer

Now you just need to invade the north to make this a near historical war.

(cept you should start losing in the west please)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 424
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 12/4/2006 6:47:30 AM   
Gil R.

Moving on, I won two consecutive victories against the southern navy, which appears not to have upgraded to Dahlgrens after all. To my surprise, the CSA might gain the upper hand in the naval war quite soon.

Unfortunately, I lost my Partisans unit. This turn, among other things, I spend 100 Horses to produce a new Raiders unit, which will be ready in two turns.

Another Camp was finished, which further boosts my replacement rate. And I'm just a turn away from another Logistics upgrade, so I might luck out and get "Invalid Corps," which boosts production of Camps by 33%.

Also, that Manufacturing Center is finished in Norfolk. It shaves off a turn when one produces artillery or infantry, and I'll soon have enough resources to take advantage of that.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 425
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 12/4/2006 6:51:50 AM   
Gil R.

Lots of good news here. European diplomacy is keeping me at Level 2, which means that once I have enough money I'll be able to buy Lorenzs.

Gov. Moore of Louisiana is being very helpful in boosting my Iron production by 15/turn.

Further good news is that the Command Staff of one of the two corps in the Army of Northern Virginia has been trained to a level of "Excellent," which will boost that corps' combat performance significantly.

And last but not least, all three blockade-runners struck gold (figuratively), and those 95 guns resources will help me to improve my navy just before attempting a major naval battle off the coast of Florida.

The one down side is that Gov. Rector of Arkansas, who already is a strong opponent of the Confederate government, now wants 10 brigades to be stationed in his state. Two are there garrisoning Little Rock, but the truth is that right now it makes no sense to send more. At the same time, failure to do so will further anger him, and I risk his taking an action to oppose the war effort. Maybe I can move some garrison units from nearby states there until he changes his mind. I'll wait a turn before doing so, though, since right now I'm not sure what the Union is up to.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Gil R. -- 12/4/2006 6:59:57 AM >

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 426
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 12/4/2006 6:53:48 AM   
Gil R.

Here's Virginia where nothing is different from last turn... unfortunately. The two divisions in Abingdon failed to move, as instructed: the smaller one going to Grafton to take over, and the bigger one heading by rail to Florida to confront the invaders on land. So, I give the exact same orders as last turn, and hope for better results.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Gil R. -- 12/4/2006 6:57:35 AM >

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 427
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 12/4/2006 6:59:13 AM   
Gil R.

Here is how Florida looks. I am no longer using the preference that puts all forces into "stacks," so the presence of two enemy fleet containers is evident. These are providing sea supply to that Union corps, without which it would be easily defeated. I decide to attack the Union yet again. (By the way, that's one of my blockade-runners mixed in there with the Union fleets. Maybe they'll both try to shoot at it and hit each other...)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 428
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 12/4/2006 7:03:40 AM   
Gil R.

As mentioned in the last turn, I'm suspicious that the Union may have armed the fleet that just arrived in the area with Dahlgrens, which would be the logical thing to do if the enemy figured out that my navy had taken on some rather big guns. Therefore, before attacking again it's prudent for me to spend the Weapons and Iron my runners just brought in to purchase a second batch of 20-inch Dahlgrens for the 1st Ship. This way, if the Union has Dahlgrens our navies will be closer to parity, while if the Union still only has "Improvised" weapons I'll really be able to do some damage.

If I'm lucky, I'll defeat the Union navy and have my division arrive from Abingdon so that next turn it can attack the corps. (That division has about 7000 men, but since I don't want it to be outnumbered I put it on "high" supply to make sure that each of its four brigades would get 500 men as replacements.)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Gil R. -- 12/4/2006 7:07:18 AM >

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 429
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 12/4/2006 7:10:19 AM   
Gil R.

Here's Tennessee. The 1st Corps that I had tried to send by rail from Cumberland River into Hatchie only got to Pulaski, so I missed my chance to trounce that division: I can't try again because there's too great a risk that the Union army is heading that way. Also, D.H. Hill's division failed to move into Upper Tennessee River to support that attack. So, since right now I've got nothing for these forces to do (attacking is too risky when I don't know where the large army will be), I send both to Cumberland River, where there is a Hospital to protect them in case disease hits. (Disease is overdue. This past turn it didn't hit any of my units.) I also build another Hospital there this turn, for 40 Labor.

Also, last turn I tried to move the small 14th Division from Tennesee-Mississippi River into Arkansas-Mississippi River in order to reclaim it as CSA territory, but winter movement restrictions kept this from happening. So, I try to send it there again.

Overall, I'm not sure just where the Union forces are heading, so I'm avoiding engaging. Maybe soon I'll add the forces in Cumberland River to the 2nd Army, which would give me a rather impressive force of 100,000+.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 430
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 12/4/2006 7:16:27 AM   
Gil R.

And here's Mississippi, where the 2nd Army did indeed come together as intended. It now contains the 4th Corps plus an extra division, and its strength is around 51,000. Much as I'd like to use it to attack Orme's corps nearby, I don't do that because of the risk that I'd end up fighting more than just that one corps. Instead, I send it by rail into Jackson so that next turn I can give it an engineering order to rebuild the city's fortifications. The sooner Jackson's strength is above 80%, the sooner I can leave the province without worrying that the enemy can easily take the city if it reinitiates the siege.

Since other than the division heading for Florida no unit is in urgent need of replacements or supplies, I decide to turn off supply for most of my western divisions (thus turning off replacements to all but a few especially depleted units) and for the first time in many turns I turn on supply for two divisions in the ANV, so that I can start bulking it up. It's been stuck at 77,000 men for a few months now, but it should have a few thousand more men by next turn, and assuming that the western front remains quiet (a big assumption, of course), I'll be able to steer even more replacements to it in the coming turns.

And with that, the turn ends.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 431
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 12/5/2006 4:32:20 PM   
jonreb31

You think you can post a screenshot of the statistics? It would be interesting to see the overall casualties and such.

Thanks, great AAR. :)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 432
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 12/5/2006 4:48:41 PM   
TimoN

Gil, can you please check if your ships have improved their morale/quality after winning battles? I am curious to find out if ships can gain morale/quality the same way as brigades do.

(in reply to jonreb31)
Post #: 433
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 12/6/2006 7:47:09 PM   
genie144

How come no love for us whoa re still reading???

Sam

(in reply to TimoN)
Post #: 434
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 12/6/2006 8:07:55 PM   
Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: JonReb

You think you can post a screenshot of the statistics? It would be interesting to see the overall casualties and such.

Thanks, great AAR. :)

Which do you mean? The screen with the graphs?

(in reply to jonreb31)
Post #: 435
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 12/6/2006 8:16:43 PM   
jonreb31

Yes, that's the one.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 436
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 12/7/2006 4:54:35 PM   
elmo3

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gil R.

Fifth Turn

And now, I reveal that I did something very, very stupid. Remember that District of the Potomac corps container that I sent from Lynchburg to Memphis? I used rail movement so it would get there in a single turn, but forgot that now that Kentucky has sided with the Union part of the railroad line I was using goes through Union territory in the Lower Tennessee River province (look at the screenshot above), and empty containers cannot go through enemy territory. So, my corps container was destroyed, and I don't yet have a replacement. ...

Screenshot posted here:

In reviewing the AAR a question comes to mind. How is control of a river province determined? Seems to me the CSA fort in the Lower Tenessee province should determine control, not whoever controls the adjacent land provinces in Kentucky. At the very least the province should be considered uncontrolled since CSA provinces also border the river. Hatchie and Pulaski border the Lower Tenessee so an argument could even be made that the CSA still controls the rail line where it crosses the river. Saying the river is USA controlled doesn't make sense to me. Thanks.

Edit - Also note that the Corps container could have turned south on the rail line in Murfreesboro and safely arrived in Memphis as ordered. Maybe the RR pathfinding needs some improvement?

< Message edited by elmo3 -- 12/7/2006 5:11:15 PM >

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 437
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 12/7/2006 6:46:02 PM   
Gil R.

Elmo3,
I see why you would think that the fort should give control of the river, but remember that this province is Union territory because the whole state of Kentucky had just sided with the Union, so the presence of a single CSA fort wouldn't prevent that. Also, as can be seen with Fort Monroe in Rappahanock and Fort Whatever in Pensacola, it is possible for the Union to have a fort in CSA territory, so the opposite should be possible too.

As for the railroad routing issue, I could have manually routed the container by clicking on it, moving it a few provinces, then clicking on it again to move it another few, etc., so that it would avoid Union territory. Instead, I lazily went with the default routing system, and that's what cost me. So whenever one sees that the default routing would go through enemy territory it would be best to choose the path manually.

By the way, if people want to discuss the issues here regarding forts in enemy territory, railroad routing, etc. they should start a new thread. I'll happily answer questions about the game here, but this AAR thread should not be the place for any rules to be discussed across multiple posts (unless to post them elsewhere would be to give away my secrets to the enemy). Thanks!

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 438
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 12/7/2006 6:51:16 PM   
elmo3

Sorry for going off topic. I follow the point about manually routing your trains but would like to continue the river control discussion so I'll take that to the main forum. Thanks.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 439
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 12/7/2006 6:53:57 PM   
Gil R.

It wasn't off-topic at all. I just wanted to make sure it didn't lead to a string of fifteen other messages that would disrupt my AAR.

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 440
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 12/7/2006 7:08:18 PM   
genie144

Is that because you planned on posting a new turn???

Sam

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 441
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 12/7/2006 9:51:41 PM   
Gil R.

Actually, I'll be doing it shortly. Jchastain and I finally both had time to resume hostilities.

(in reply to genie144)
Post #: 442
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 12/7/2006 10:52:31 PM   
genie144

Sweet...  Hopefully some more bloodshed :)

Sam

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 443
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 12/8/2006 12:47:19 AM   
Gil R.

Thirty-first Turn

After a hiatus caused by the release of the game and other factors, it's time to get back to this PBEM match. Winter is soon going to end and the campaigning season will begin, and decisions made now will determine the outcome of the war.

The best news is that now that my forces have a bit of a breather, so I don't need to keep them on high supply, which means that I can get back some of the money I've been spending to supply them. And that's very important, because I desperately need to produce more artillery, cavalry and infantry units (in that order), and these can take many turns to produce, so I really need to start building sooner rather than later. As can be seen at the bottom of the screenshot, I start the turn with 71 Money, which isn't enough for artillery (which takes the longest), but next turn I'll have enough, and the turn after that I'll have enough for another artillery unit, or cavalry. I want to purchase my new units in Feb./March, since come April population levels will be replenished, and I don't want to go a whole year with any of my provinces undermanned and therefore not producing as much resources as they should. So, this turn I will not spend all of that money on Brigade Artillery, Sharpshooters, or any of my many other needs. Not even on Lorenzs, which I can now afford again thanks to my improved relations with the Other Europeans.

The Event Report shows that I enjoyed two consecutive victories over the Union fleet, which evidently never bothered to upgrade its weaponry and therefore ran into my buzz-saw. In fact, an entire Union fleet container was destroyed! I never would have expected that I might be able to destroy the Union navy in this game, but that goal now appears within my grasp. (Ahistorical? Sure! But I prefer to think of this as a valuable lesson that the Union player should never take naval superiority for granted...)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to marecone)
Post #: 444
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 12/8/2006 12:52:34 AM   
Gil R.

I have a new Mint in Wilmington, N.C., which further eases my money problems. Every little bit helps.

My governors' actions are a mixed bag. That Arkansas governor, who's never been a friend to the cause, and who, unreasonably, has been demanding that I send a dozen or so brigades to defend his state, is now putting a damper on Horse production. Fortunately, that's the one resource that I can afford to have less of -- if he were opposing Money production I would be doomed. My hope is that this won't last too long, though.

Fortunately, Gov. Moore of Louisiana is giving a shot in the arm to CSA weapons research, which is desperately needed.

It's good to see that the Illinois governor is being a pain for the Union -- if the Union pulls those 13 brigades off the line, that's fine with me, and if the Union refuses the request, perhaps that governor will act up like the Arkansas governor is.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 445
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 12/8/2006 12:58:40 AM   
Gil R.

Here's something annoying, though. My blockade-runners in the northern Atlantic did get the 30 Iron there, but I put two runners fleets in Louisiana Gulf to get the 40 Money, and even though both fleets had a 50% chance of success neither succeeded. This turn, there is also 20 Money that just appeared in the adjacent sea zone. Unfortunately, the Atlantic runners can't get this far, so I'm left with the choice of having both Gulf of Mexico runners fleets go after the larger shipment of Money, or having each go after one shipment. I do some keen analysis, and decide that since there is a 25% chance that neither succeeds, a 25% chance that both succeed, and a 50% chance that one of them succeeds and the other doesn't, the mathematical odds favor having them go after separate targets, even if one is half as valuable.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 446
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 12/8/2006 1:00:59 AM   
Gil R.

One of you asked me to post the statistics overviews, that show how the game is progressing. Here is the first, showing casualties levels, with the USA orange.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 447
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 12/8/2006 1:01:57 AM   
Gil R.

And here's National Will. The CSA is the one that's feeling better about itself.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 448
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 12/8/2006 1:03:15 AM   
Gil R.

And here's unit quality. The CSA, for some reason, is literally off the scale. But note that the USA has seen its quality improve recently.

That can't be good...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 449
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 12/8/2006 1:04:22 AM   
Gil R.

Here is strength of our respective forces, with the USA the lighter green. Looks like both sides have seen their numbers decline.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 450
Page:   <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! Page: <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI