Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/15/2006 11:53:55 AM   
Gil R.

And as for Virginia, absolutely nothing happened there -- I guess I was wrong to expect an invasion. And what last turn was reported to be a force of 184,000 now is just supposed to be 44,000, which seems less threatening. I think I'll leave the Army of Northern Virginia where it is until I'm able to build a fort in Shenandoah, so that it can not easily be taken and my rail-lines will be secure. It's in a good position here, since it's more easily reinforced by rail than it would be in James River, and because I have a better chance of seeing an attack coming and can prepare. I'll start spending more resources to improve the quality of the units in this army in the coming turns.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Gil R. -- 11/15/2006 11:58:56 AM >

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 151
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/15/2006 12:00:03 PM   
Gil R.

Time to engage in some building, since I have lots of Iron and Labor, which are not enough to upgrade troops (which usually require Money or Guns in addition to Iron or Horses). So, I can only spend the Iron and Labor on buildings, and it occurs to me that this would be the perfect time to build a Manufacturing Center, since those take 12 turns to build. Once they're done, they enable one to finish producing an artillery unit one turn sooner -- which can be very valuable.

Since they are linked to artillery production, it only makes sense to build a Manufacturing Center where there is already a Foundry (or more than one). If one goes to the City List there are a bunch of buttons at the bottom of the screen that quickly let one get a list of provinces associated with creating particulra sorts of military units and containers. I press the button that shows me all of the places that have Foundries and therefore can produce artillery units.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 152
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/15/2006 12:07:58 PM   
Gil R.

Since artillery units require one level of Men (= population) in addition to resources, it makes the most sense to build them in cities with higher levels of Men -- in the case of the CSA, that's Richmond or Memphis. Memphis strikes me as too risky, because even though well fortified it might be taken more easily than Richmond. And Richmond already has a Manufacturing Center, so building another there would speed up the time of production even more. Unfortunately, I cannot build any new buildings in Richmond until I've first build a Plantation or Mansion. So, I instead settle on Norfolk, which has just 3 Men and therefore cannot produce more than three artillery units per year (i.e., not until the April population refreshment restores it to its maximum level). Of course, artillery is expensive enough that I'd be unlikely to build more than three units there anyway, and I do have other cities in which I can build them.

There is a plus to putting the new building in Norfolk: there are three foundries there, and each foundry gives a new artillery unit +.2 quality, so the artillery brigades I produce in Norfolk will be of a high quality than those built elsewhere.

(I should note that manufacturing centers also speed up the process of producing new infantry brigades, but I don't really care about that -- those take only four turns to produce, which isn't bad. I'd much rather use the scarce Men resources for artillery. But still, if ever one is in a pinch, it might be very useful to have a seasoned infantry brigade appear after three turns instead of four. I just don't plan on being in such a pinch...)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 153
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/15/2006 12:09:11 PM   
Gil R.

After hitting "End Turn," get to promote another 2-star general who will command one of my divisions, and the decision is a very easy one to make.

This is the first chance I have had to promote Longstreet, and I'm using it.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 154
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/15/2006 12:10:14 PM   
Gil R.

And after that, I tell the Partisans to try to sabotage the railroad, in case the USA is trying any large troop movements.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 155
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/15/2006 12:12:35 PM   
Gil R.

And I tell my new Raiders to destroy supplies, just to be difficult. That army just lost a whole lot of supplies in the battle, so this will make it harder on them. Perhaps it will even lead to morale problems for the troops. But more importantly, I might be able to attack it before it's fully resupplied. (And resupplying it would involve turning supply levels to "high priority," which will sap a lot of the Union's money for a turn or two.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 156
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/15/2006 2:35:23 PM   
marecone

Very nice AAR. I wasn't sure about your plan but you did it and got yourself a major battle win.
Well done

"I have never, on the field of battle, sent you where I was unwilling to go myself; nor would I now advise you to a course which I felt myself unwilling to pursue."

Nathan Bedford Forrest

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 157
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/16/2006 2:24:20 AM   
Gil R.

Nineteenth Turn

On we go...

There's a weird bug that caused the siege to last an extra turn after the Union had been chased out of Cumberland River, which explains the siege report. But Eric is on the case. Also, it appears that the way of calculating Victory Points was a bit off, so I actually gained more and jchastain lost more than should have been the case -- but again, that has been fixed or is being fixed. (This is why we play the game a few times before releasing it...)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to marecone)
Post #: 158
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/16/2006 2:30:51 AM   
Gil R.

My Partisans and Raiders both had success with their railroad sabotage and supplies destruction, respectively. That's the good news.

The bad news is that I stupidly gambled that disease wouldn't strike the Army of Northern Virginia in Shenandoah, and it did. Mathematically, the odds were close to 50-50 that this would happen, since each turn disease strikes a single brigade and then spreads to all the other brigades in the province, and the number of brigades I have in Shenandoah is somewhere around 40% of all of the ones I have (another 25% or so are in those two western corps, and the rest are in garrisons). Since Shenandoah isn't a city I can't build a Hospital there, so anytime I send forces there they do not have the protection they do in a city. So, the ANV has just lost close to 20,000 men, not to mention that all of its brigades are not as gung-ho as they were (though their disposition levels will be improved again by the nearby Hospitals over the next few turns). Good thing the enemy has no way of knowing...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Gil R. -- 11/16/2006 2:37:57 AM >

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 159
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/16/2006 2:38:10 AM   
Gil R.

A bit more bad news is that the Union has made a bit of a gain in diplomacy with the "Other Europeans," and now that I'm down to one Level of diplomacy I can no longer purchase Lorenzs, which require a minimum two levels. For this reason, during this turn I invest 10 Money in diplomacy with the Other Europeans, and another 10 Money with the British. (I'm very glad that a turn or two ago I armed my highest-quality brigade with Lorenzs. But more on that unit later.)

Some good news is that for the first time in many turns my blockade-runners brought back some cash. And this turn, there are two shipments of Money out there, so if my runners succeed I'll be able to make some good purchases next turn.

Also, note that the Army of Northern Virginia has trained one of its two corps, the Valley District, with the result that its Command Staff rating is now "Great" -- meaning that it will fight more even effectively in battles.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Gil R. -- 11/16/2006 2:50:35 AM >

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 160
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/16/2006 2:41:53 AM   
Gil R.

Since I mentioned that high-quality brigade, the 123rd Infantry (you can see it in the center column, sporting a 5.06 quality rating), I might as well show that I think it an important enough unit that I invest 60 Money (out of 78 available) to buy it the Sharpshooter attribute -- instantly making it among my most deadly and effective units. (The Lorenz has the highest sharpshooter rating of any gun my army has, which is why it was a no-brainer to give this unit this attribute rather than, say, brigade cavalry.)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 161
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/16/2006 2:46:00 AM   
Gil R.

Here's how the troop strength levels of the units in Shenandoah look in the aftermath of the Black Plague. It's down to just 79000 now.

As you might recall, I have deliberately been keeping most of these divisions on "No Supply" so that my 4000 reinforcements each turn would pump up my forces in the west. Now that those forces are sufficiently plump -- some of those brigades are now at full strength, or slightly below it -- I reverse my policy and cut them off from new reinforcements and direct those instead into the ANV. Within 5-6 turns the army should be at about the strength it was previously at, but this is still a major setback, since I wanted to make it bigger than it was before the disease struck.

I also build yet another camp (in New Orleans), since those 500 reinforcement per turn will be greatly needed now.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 162
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/16/2006 2:50:10 AM   
Gil R.

Here are those western forces. As you can see, only one division, the third, has brigades that are in urgent need of reinforcements, while many brigades are at 3K and 4K. So I can afford to stop reinforcing all but the 3rd, which I set to continue to receive reinforcements. (The screenshot shows me first putting one of the two corps on "No Support."

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 163
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/16/2006 2:55:12 AM   
Gil R.

And now I do what I wish I had done a turn earlier -- I move the ANV to Lynchburg which, like Richmond, has two Hospitals and therefore tremendously cuts down on the effects of disease. I leave behind that division that held the province against the Union attack several turns ago. Unless absolutely necessary, I plan not to move that brigade out until I've built a fort there. (And with the ANV in Lynchburg it's close enough to reinforce this division if there should be another incursion.)

I move by rail, since with the completion of my most recent Railroad Station and the benefit of "Centralized Railways" I'm starting off with 72 RR movement points each turn -- enough to move every brigade I have that's not doing garrison duty one province per turn.

Another good thing about moving to Lynchburg is that I'll be far enough away from the Union that my army should be in fog of war, so it will be even harder for the Union to figure out that I just lost 20% of my troop strength.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 164
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/16/2006 2:58:55 AM   
Gil R.

Before looking at the main action in the western theater, I thought I'd show that the empty container for the 6th Division has made it to Montgomery, so this turn I try to get it into Yazoo, where those two brigades can join it. (Remember, the way to convert those blue Union provinces back to red Confederate ones is to send a division, corps or army in there.) The container, which represents the officers staffing the division, marches to Mobile, where it can again move by rail.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 165
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/16/2006 3:03:56 AM   
Gil R.

And once the division gets there, I attach the two brigades to it and send it into Oxford. With any luck, I'll have enough movement points to do all of this in a single turn, and Oxford will be CSA red when the next turn begins. Otherwise, it'll just take another turn, but at least I can start reclaiming my territory.

And then I'll send the 6th Division into Missouri to take over some territory and give the Union a taste of its own medicine...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 166
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/16/2006 3:09:11 AM   
Gil R.

Here's how the western theater is looking. The Union is sitting in the Lower Tennessee River area with a massive army that must be over 100,000, but the presence of a division in Kaskaskia suggests to me that maybe some forces are being moved out of this theater (which would mean that they're being sent eastward by rail, I'd think). It's also possible that that's a new division being sent in to reinforce -- there's just no way to tell.

I'd love to invade Bowling Green and trounce the forces there, which are still weak after the recent battle. But those forces in Lower Tennessee River would be available to reinforce, and I might go down in defeat.

It occurs to me that my 6th Division, the one flipping blue province back to red, can be sent into Paducah to draw off some of those forces. If that happened, the size of the reinforcements available to the Union might not be large enough to make a difference in Bowling Green. It's something to think about, but I'd be surprised if it actually worked out that way.

It also occurs to me that I might be able to use my railroad advantage to get a corps from the ANV out west and attack with three corps before the Union realizes what has happened. Ideally, though, this would be done after my two western corps has been put into an army container, so that they would fight more effectively. I think I'll produce an army container soon, and use this strategy of rapidly moving a corps at some point, when the opportunity presents itself.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Gil R. -- 11/16/2006 3:15:38 AM >

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 167
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/16/2006 3:13:47 AM   
Gil R.

Here is how Fort Donelson is looking now that the siege is over. It's up to 51% strength now (as is shown at the bottom), and its walls are still just faint traces.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 168
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/16/2006 3:16:44 AM   
Gil R.

Here's another thing I do this turn. Last turn, I got a new general, Gen. C. Clark, and since his ratings were mediocre I decided not to put him in one of my divisions as a brigadier general, but instead to add him to the garrison of a crucial fort. Generals give defensive bonuses during sieges, so this is a good thing to do with spare generals, especially bad or merely okay ones. So this turn, I helped him complete his journey from Richmond, sending him from Tuscaloosa into Island No. 10

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 169
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/16/2006 3:23:07 AM   
Gil R.

The only other thing of note that I do is move the two western corps back into Cumberland River, to defend the province until Fort Donelson's strength is back up (and to help in the process of fixing the fort, which I'll do by giving it an engineering order next turn). These two corps are at a strength of roughly 104,000, and there are still roughly 20,000 men in the fort and Nashville itself, so I think I can probably hold off another invasion, especially since so many of the enemy's brigades lost their weapons in that last battle.

I do send my weakest division into Pulaski in order to make it red again.

Now that I think of it, that might have been a mistake -- the Union can now attack it and draw in my two corps as reinforcements, forcing me to fight in USA territory. If that happens, the USA gets an advantage for fighting in its own territory, but I still have an advantage in the quality of my generals and troops. Fortunately, unless the Union is sending forces into Pulaski this turn as well, I'll probably be able to get this division back safely into its corps. But this is a bigger risk than I recognized at the time, since if the USA gets the initiative to attack it can get this division into a fight.

And the last thing I do this turn is to use both Partisans and Raiders to sabotage the railroad, just in case the Union is trying to move its forces somewhere by rail.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 170
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/16/2006 9:39:46 AM   
Gil R.

Twentieth Turn

I just got two very good generals, Hood and Wheeler. That's got to help. And my railroad sabotages were successful, though I don't know whether the Union was trying to move anywhere.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 171
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/16/2006 9:43:59 AM   
Gil R.

And now something very bad happens -- disease strikes Cumberland River. Fortunately, I have a Hospital there, which is why the damage and loss of disposition isn't as bad as it was in Shenandoah. But still, with that giant Union army a province away this is pretty bad. And since I'm using my camps to reinforce the Army of Northern Virginia, I can't bulk these forces up more.

And the really irksome thing is that I'm 4 Horses short of being able to build another Camp this turn.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 172
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/16/2006 9:46:20 AM   
Gil R.

The only good news is that two blockade-runners fleets got me a total of 70 Money, which is about twice what I'm netting each turn after upkeep expenses and diplomacy.

Unfortunately, Gof. Brown of Georgia is demanding a Foundry, something that it would be a complete waste to build in Georgia, when I already have enough Foundries for the number of artillery units I'm likely to build. The guy already has a negative Attitude, and it will only go down onw.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 173
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/16/2006 9:55:42 AM   
Gil R.

Here are the strength levels of my two Cumberland River corps. You can compare them with the screenshot taken in the last turn, which reveals that I lost about six thousand men (plus the ones garrisoned in Fort Donelson and Nashville.

Luckily, this force is still very strong.

(I should note that the 13th Division, which I had sent into Pulaski to regain control of that territory, escaped the disease. I returned it to Cumberland River at the beginning of this turn.)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 174
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/16/2006 9:59:28 AM   
Gil R.

Even though my Virginia army was significantly weakened by disease last turn, the greater threat is in the west. (By definition, any time you have the enemy in an adjacent province that is the greatest threat.) So, I decide to send a single division, the 4th Division, by rail to Cumberland River as reinforcements. Its strength is 9000, and it's an okay division -- I'm leaving my best divisions in Lynchburg, but this one can be spared for now.

Also, I should point out that this army is now up to 81000, after being at 79000 in the aftermath of the disease. So, it's starting to creep back up...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 175
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/16/2006 10:04:34 AM   
Gil R.

Now that I'm starting the turn with 110 Money I would finally be able to afford that much-needed fort in Shenandoah, but I'm short on Labor. So this turn I'll spend a little, but leave myself in a position to begin working on that fort next turn.

The first thing I purchase is Rifle Pits for Fort Evans back in Fredericksburg (20 Money). The should help the province to hold off an invasion a bit longer, though I really need to get that fort a real gun instead of "Improvised."

Next, I decide to upgrade the 4th Cavalry, which is in the division I just sent out west. I purchase horse artillery, and really nice thing to have. (Horse artillery, as you can see, slows down unit movement, but this cavalry unit already has "Quality Horses," which gives a +6 movement rate. So even with the artillery slowing down the horses, they still move farther/faster than normal cavalry brigades. Not bad...)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 176
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/16/2006 10:16:59 AM   
Gil R.

I've gotten a bit ahead of myself. Here's the western theater at the start of the turn.

As I mentioned, I sent that division in Pulaski back. You can see that it succeeded in converting the province, which after two turns of unrest will start giving me 2 Money each turn again.

Also, I have given an engineering order to both corps to help repair Fort Donelson. The sooner that's done, the better.

The figure standing in Bowling Green represents my Partisans and my Raiders, FYI. Looks like the Union forces there left. I'll have to retask these units.

I don't for a second believe that the Union has 363000 men in that province. I need better intelligence...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 177
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/16/2006 10:21:07 AM   
Gil R.

Last turn the 6th Division container reached those two brigades, but didn't advance. So, now I can send it into Oxford in order to reclaim my territory.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 178
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/16/2006 10:23:33 AM   
Gil R.

And here's the third and final unit movement that I make out west, sending the Partisans and then the Raiders into Lower Tennessee River, so that they can have a juicier target.

It's also worth noting that these units help with scouting checks before battle, so if I were to invade that province in a surprise attack having these units there would help to level the playing field somewhat. It sure would be nice to have another Raiders unit...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 179
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/16/2006 10:32:24 AM   
Gil R.

It occurs to me that I haven't shown the Hospitals overlay, and since all of my non-garrison brigades (with the exception of the division in Pulaski and the one that is now entering Oxford) just suffered serious drops in Disposition as a result of disease, it is especially timely to show how effective my Hospitals can be.

Every turn, units that are in cities with Hospital or direct rail contact have a chance to have their Disposition raised, though the number of brigades that can benefit from this is limited to the total Hospital coverage. In both the eastern and western theaters I'm in pretty good shape, so my forces should be able to bounce back.

Here's the Virginia area. Lynchburg has the potential for up to ten hospitals in rail contact to be able to help raise the Disposition of the troops there, and each hospital can restore up to two brigades in a turn.

(Unfortunately, the screenshot for the western theater is 3KB too big to upload, so I'll just state that the Hospital Coverage for Cumberland River is 8.

EDIT: Oh, heck, I forgot to attach the screenshot. I'll do that later.

< Message edited by Gil R. -- 11/16/2006 6:35:24 PM >

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI