Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Puresim Online Leagues?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> RE: Puresim Online Leagues? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Puresim Online Leagues? - 11/21/2006 6:31:18 AM   
Deltadog

As a part of this test, I downloaded and opened Boston.  A draft profile was submitted and appears from this end to have go throught.  Advise I it was received.

(in reply to legendsport2k)
Post #: 31
RE: Puresim Online Leagues? - 11/21/2006 7:04:01 AM   
XCom

Legend, when you uploaded this league file to your server did you experience any of the problems I had when I uploaded my first one from 1.40? See this thread for details:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1304598

(in reply to Deltadog)
Post #: 32
RE: Puresim Online Leagues? - 11/21/2006 1:19:21 PM   
legendsport2k

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deltadog

As a part of this test, I downloaded and opened Boston. A draft profile was submitted and appears from this end to have go throught. Advise I it was received.

It did indeed go through. Thanks.

Check out the Legendsport Leagues - Remaking Baseball History including GGB Redux - the first Puresim historical online league

(in reply to Deltadog)
Post #: 33
RE: Puresim Online Leagues? - 11/21/2006 1:24:42 PM   
legendsport2k

quote:

ORIGINAL: XCom

Legend, when you uploaded this league file to your server did you experience any of the problems I had when I uploaded my first one from 1.40? See this thread for details:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1304598

No, the sim did not crash for me when I uploaded. It did crash though at a different time - I went into Options to look around, then hit cancel and the sim crashed to desktop. I was able to restart without problem.

< Message edited by legendsport -- 11/21/2006 1:34:03 PM >

Check out the Legendsport Leagues - Remaking Baseball History including GGB Redux - the first Puresim historical online league

(in reply to XCom)
Post #: 34
RE: Puresim Online Leagues? - 11/21/2006 10:26:56 PM   
Deltadog

I don't know about xcom's league, but in Sittingducks league the problems started once the original league files had changed.  Most of us were able to take the original files which were provided out side the FTP server, were able to make changes and could upload those changes to the server.  However, once the file on the server was changed, we were not able to download the file that was newer than ours. 

Two have now uploaded draft profiles in this test.  I assume that these will have to be incorporated with the league files in some manner and once that is done the file on the server will be newer than our version and we would need to download the newer version.  If this is correct, I suggest that you might  see if you can incorporate the profiles we sent successfully and let us see if we can download the changed league files or if the old problem still exist.  I would think that if anyone else were to decide to join in when they brought up the original files they would be told that the version on the server was newer and they could then try and download the newer file. 

It will be interesting to see if 1. you can update without problems, 2. if we can download without problems, 3.  how big the downloaded file is and 4. how long it takes to download with various types of connections.

Just a suggestion.

Post #: 35
RE: Puresim Online Leagues? - 11/22/2006 12:24:28 AM   
legendsport2k

OK - ran the draft (the sim crashed several times, but eventually it made it through).

Then did Spring Training and finally, tried to upload the association. Got the "Error Uploading Association" error followed by a crash to desktop. Then, I reloaded the game, and it loaded fine. I also looked on my server, and the file is there - but is slightly smaller than the file in the psa folder.

Next, I manually uploaded the psa.7z file to my server and reloaded the game. It started with no problem.

Now, if someone could try to get the new file (it's about 3 Mb) we'll see what happens.

(in reply to Deltadog)
Post #: 36
RE: Puresim Online Leagues? - 11/22/2006 12:37:16 AM   
XCom

I was able to login and dowload the new file. It only took about 30 seconds to download and decompress on my end. Made some lineup changes, but when I went to upload them Puresim crashed. Happened three times in a row...can't get it to work. Same experience Deltadog?

Also, looks like you had the same errors I did when uploading the file, Legend. I think there are still issues here.

Post #: 37
RE: Puresim Online Leagues? - 11/22/2006 3:41:21 AM   
Deltadog

I started the game and loaded the original psa file.  The game checked the server and advised that a newer version of the file was being downloaded.  It took about 2 1/2 minutes to download.  My connection is 1.5M x 256K DSL.  When the file finished downloading the game crashed and windows created a report which I allowed it to transmit to microsoft. 

There are three files on my system in the PSA folder dated 11-21-2006.  1.  baseball thru the years.zip  3554 KB.  When I tried to open this by double clicking on it I was told that it was not a valid archive file.  2.   Baseball Thru The Years.PSA    18,564 KB & 3,  FTP.log.  I restarted the game and tried to load the league again and again the game crashed.  I started the game twice more and these times it when through the same process and this time did not crash.  However each time when I tried to look at the Boston roster there were no players there.  The same appears to be the case for all teams.  I tried a fourth time except I logged in as Philadelphia instead of Boston and the game crashed before downloading anything and windows again wanted to send a report to MS.

I shut down ZoneAlarm and Norton Antivirus, neither of which have affected the game on my computer in the past and tried again.  The game downloaded the file and when opened there were no players.  Each time I try to start the game and open the league I am told that the Commissioner has uploaded a newer version and the game appears to download it but there is no change in what I already had.

I then started an evaluation copy of Winrar and opened the baseball thru the years.zip file successfully.  It contained 3 files.  1. psa  -26,386,482 KB  2. psc - 4,662 KB and 3. psx - 1,691,648 KB.  I extracted these to the PSA folder and 3 files were overwritten.  I had not seen the last 2 when I examined the folder.  When I opened the league with the game after this the teams were all populated with players.

I shut the game down to write the above and when I tried to open the league files again I noted that I could log in as New York, Boston, or Philly.  Other than commissioner, there were no other choices.  This time each time I selected Boston the game crashed and wanted to send MS a report.  I extracted the files again overwritting those that had been written to begin with and then tried to open the league and the results were the same.

It would seem that multiplayer still has serious issues that have not been fixed by the latest patch.

(in reply to XCom)
Post #: 38
RE: Puresim Online Leagues? - 11/22/2006 3:48:06 AM   
XCom

Yes, something is still definately wrong. Hopefully, Shaun is taking note and will be working on the problems. I would be happy (as I'm sure several others would as well) to work directly with him to test out any fixes to the multiplayer before he incorporates them into a new beta patch. Seems like we should get this fixed before releasing another patch.

One question for Legend. Are you using your own server space to host the league file or are you using the Matrix server space? In the test I did I used my own space and I'm assuming you did as well. I wonder if we would see anything different if we use the Matrix server?

(in reply to Deltadog)
Post #: 39
RE: Puresim Online Leagues? - 11/22/2006 5:41:58 AM   
Deltadog

Additional

I replaced all of the downloaded files with the original psa file downloaded from this thread.  I then opened the league file and game contacted the server and downloaded the new version again.  Just as had happened before there were no players in the file.  I opened the new zip file and extracted the three files again manually.  Next I opened the league file and again there were only 3 teams.  This time rather than close the game, I made some roster moves and then uploaded to the server.  It appears that this upload was successful from this end.  I shut down the game and brought it up again.  When I tried to open the league file it tired to access the server and then crashed just as it did before.  If appears that the first time I open the manually extracted files all works, but after that the crash occurs.  It also appears that while I download the league files, they are not being extracted from the archive file.

Questions-
1.  Xcom - when you downloaded how many teams did you see?  Just 3 or all that were there before.
2.  In your psa folder you should have file 7z.exe, which I believe is what the game uses to compress and expand the files.  My file is 117 KB which seems awful small for a program.  How large is yours?

< Message edited by Deltadog -- 11/22/2006 5:59:54 AM >

(in reply to XCom)
Post #: 40
RE: Puresim Online Leagues? - 11/22/2006 5:54:51 AM   
XCom

quote:

Questions-
1.  Xcom - when you downloaded how many teams did you see?  Just 3 or all that were there before.
2.  In your psa folder you should have file 7z.exe, which I believe is what the game uses to compress and expand the files.  My file is 117 KB which seems awful small for a program.  How large is yours?

When I logged in I had only three choices as you have stated. I assumed that the reason for this was that Legend had taken a team and setup the rest of the teams to computer control. Therefore they wouldn't be active on the login screen. When I accessed my team I did have a full roster of players. I just can't get the changes to upload.

Also, the size of the 7-zip.exe file is correct. 7-Zip seems to be working correctly as far as I can tell.

(in reply to Deltadog)
Post #: 41
RE: Puresim Online Leagues? - 11/22/2006 6:00:52 AM   
Deltadog

Are there any other exe files with 7z in the name in that folder.  For example 7zm.exe.  i downloaded 7z and in order to open it I have to use the file manager 7z.exe, but there appears to be only the 7z.exe file in my puresim folders.  I wonder if this could be while my downloaded files are not being extracted.  Also I also have all the teams when I look at rosters during the one time each extraction that I am able to open the file.

(in reply to XCom)
Post #: 42
RE: Puresim Online Leagues? - 11/22/2006 6:21:48 AM   
XCom

No, there are no other files associated with 7z in my folder. I don't think Shaun has it coded where the file manager is required. I think for programming purposes you can use 7z.exe and imbed the call into your code and run 7-zip in a command prompt in the background for compression/decompression. The file manager is just a user friendly interface, but the 7z.exe program actually does the work.

(in reply to Deltadog)
Post #: 43
RE: Puresim Online Leagues? - 11/22/2006 1:30:12 PM   
legendsport2k

quote:

One question for Legend. Are you using your own server space to host the league file or are you using the Matrix server space? In the test I did I used my own space and I'm assuming you did as well. I wonder if we would see anything different if we use the Matrix server?

Yep, I'm using my own server space.

(in reply to XCom)
Post #: 44
RE: Puresim Online Leagues? - 11/22/2006 1:34:31 PM   
legendsport2k

quote:

When I logged in I had only three choices as you have stated. I assumed that the reason for this was that Legend had taken a team and setup the rest of the teams to computer control. Therefore they wouldn't be active on the login screen. When I accessed my team I did have a full roster of players. I just can't get the changes to upload.

Also, the size of the 7-zip.exe file is correct. 7-Zip seems to be working correctly as far as I can tell.

Yes, I turned all teams other than Boston, Philly & New York to computer control before running the draft. I agree that the zip process is working. The hangup definitely seems to occur in transferring the files.

XCom, did you check the "Use passive mode" box when setting up your league? I did, and that shouldn't be a problem, but maybe using active mode would change things. If you're using passive I may set up a league with active mode and see what happens. At the very least it would be another test of the sim's current FTP system.

(in reply to XCom)
Post #: 45
RE: Puresim Online Leagues? - 11/22/2006 6:06:38 PM   
XCom

Yes, I have always used passive mode with my FTP settings. Not sure how active mode is different but worth a try I guess. We should also try the Matrix server space to host a league and just see if that works better or not.

quote:

ORIGINAL: legendsport
XCom, did you check the "Use passive mode" box when setting up your league? I did, and that shouldn't be a problem, but maybe using active mode would change things. If you're using passive I may set up a league with active mode and see what happens. At the very least it would be another test of the sim's current FTP system.

Post #: 46
RE: Puresim Online Leagues? - 11/22/2006 7:02:59 PM   
legendsport2k

quote:

Yes, I have always used passive mode with my FTP settings. Not sure how active mode is different but worth a try I guess. We should also try the Matrix server space to host a league and just see if that works better or not.

I've created a league on the Matrix server. It went up very smoothly. Not sure how league members are supposed to get the original file from there, so I put it up on my own server as well. You can d/l it at http://legendsport.com/baseball/ps/psa.7z - just unzip into your /psa folder. Let's see if this is any better.

(in reply to XCom)
Post #: 47
RE: Puresim Online Leagues? - 11/22/2006 7:41:35 PM   
XCom

Okay, I will try it out as soon as I can. But, with the holiday coming up it might be a few days.

Post #: 48
RE: Puresim Online Leagues? - 11/22/2006 11:01:02 PM   
Deltadog

I downloaded your new test league, extracted it to my psa folder opened it logging on as Boston just as I did with the prior league. Draft profile changes were made and uploaded. From what I can see on thus end all appeared to go smoothly and very quickly.

Of course this part went smoothly the last time as well. I will be interested to see what happens when a newer version with players is downloaded as that is where the earlier problems have raised their ugly heads.

I know that the decompressing has worked fine for you and Xcom, but it has not worked for me. Earlier when I downloaded SittingDuck's league it did seem to work well.

Post #: 49
RE: Puresim Online Leagues? - 11/22/2006 11:35:39 PM   
Deltadog

Update

I recalled that when I clicked on the original new test league file to open it the program that responded was Winrar not 7z. I then changed the windows setting to make certain that files with 7z extension are always opened by 7z.exe. I clicked on the psa.7z file I had downloaded and the screen blinked and nothing opened. I then opened the game and tried to open the first test league (after replacing all files in my psa related to that league with the original league files) The game downloaded the newer version of the files on the server and this time extracted the archive using 7z and opened the file. I made roster moves and then clicked upload and the game crashed immediately. I tried to open the league a second time and succeeded. I tried to upload again and this time got a message asking that I make sure my roster was correct before proceeding. I had done nothing move players around in the batting order had moved the # 1 starter to second and second to 1st. I had also moved a relief pitcher to the 5th starter slot. In an effort to correct the roster to suit the game, I moved one of the original starters to the reliever slot and tried to upload again. From my end it appears that the upload went smoothly with no crash this time. Last night I could open the league files once and from then on experienced a crash. After transmitting the roster move file I tried to open the league again and all went well.

1. To have downloaded files extracted it appears necessary that windows be set up to always open files with 7z extension using 7z. If this association gets changed the downloaded file will not be extracted.

2. Maybe if there is a problem with the roster in the games eyes, you get a crash trying to upload and get no warning. If you open the league again and try to upload, you do get the warning. If the problem is fixed no crash. ( this will is a theory that requires more testing.

Adivse if the draft profile was received relative to the new test league and if the roster change was received relative to the older one.

< Message edited by Deltadog -- 11/22/2006 11:42:02 PM >

(in reply to Deltadog)
Post #: 50
RE: Puresim Online Leagues? - 11/23/2006 4:29:43 AM   
legendsport2k

quote:

Adivse if the draft profile was received relative to the new test league and if the roster change was received relative to the older one.

Both seemed to work. The old league crashed - a lot - for no apparent reason when trying to contact the server, but eventually it went through and said it was processing Boston's roster moves.

(in reply to Deltadog)
Post #: 51
RE: Puresim Online Leagues? - 11/23/2006 5:04:16 PM   
puresimmer

I think if you guys use the new built in support for running leagues on the Matrix server it should all go quite smoothly.

Maybe I'll create a league on there and we can do some more testing.

Shaun

Developer, PureSim Baseball

Post #: 52
RE: Puresim Online Leagues? - 11/25/2006 8:08:57 PM   
XCom

Okay, I finally got a chance to reload 1.40 and try this new league out. I downloaded the file from Legend's link and decompressed it to my /psa folder using 7-zip. I loaded up the league in Puresim and selected Philadelphia, but the game crashed before I could do anything. So, I tried again...and again. Tried logging in as different teams, but the game crashes back to desktop unless I log in as Boston or Chicago. Just a standard Windows error, so little to work from. I've attached a screenshot of the error as well.

Any thoughts?

quote:

ORIGINAL: legendsport

quote:

I've created a league on the Matrix server. It went up very smoothly. Not sure how league members are supposed to get the original file from there, so I put it up on my own server as well. You can d/l it at http://legendsport.com/baseball/ps/psa.7z - just unzip into your /psa folder. Let's see if this is any better.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by XCom -- 11/25/2006 8:13:13 PM >

Post #: 53
RE: Puresim Online Leagues? - 11/25/2006 8:27:52 PM   
XCom

Shaun, I tried creating my own test league using the Matrix server and I can't even upload the first league file without the game crashing. Is there a problem with the Matrix server right now? When hosting a league on my own server I can at least upload the first league file and have my owners access it. The problem comes when trying to submit roster moves (as evidenced in this thread above).

No offense to Matrix, but this is the main reason that I want to be self-sufficient in hosting my league on my own server.

Help us, Shaun. We really want to get this to work!

quote:

ORIGINAL: puresimmer

I think if you guys use the new built in support for running leagues on the Matrix server it should all go quite smoothly.

Maybe I'll create a league on there and we can do some more testing.

Shaun

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 54
RE: Puresim Online Leagues? - 11/26/2006 3:45:46 AM   
Deltadog

After reading your message, I logged on as Boston as I had done before and also was able to log on as Philly.  Howeve, when I tried LA, I got the same error message as I had been getting earlier when I logged on as Boston on the private server and which XCom describes above.

Shaun, would the message windows wants to send to Microsoft be of any value and if so is there any way that we can save it to a file to send you.

After entering the above message, I went back and loaded all the teams in the league. When I opened Miami I got the same message again. But when I tried again I was able to access and transmit a set of draft instructions. I was also able to open LA this time with out the error message?

< Message edited by Deltadog -- 11/26/2006 4:06:07 AM >

(in reply to XCom)
Post #: 55
RE: Puresim Online Leagues? - 11/26/2006 4:19:21 AM   
XCom

Seeing Deltadog's message I went back and tried to load various teams again. This time I was able to get more teams to actually load, but it seems very hit and miss on which teams crash Puresim. I was actually able to get Dallas to load without a problem this time around, but now Boston is crashing Puresim. And for the record I still have not been able to load up Philadelphia at all. It always seems to crash when doing the server check. Very strange.

(in reply to Deltadog)
Post #: 56
RE: Puresim Online Leagues? - 11/26/2006 5:13:52 AM   
puresimmer

Wow, looks like there are problems with the server.

I hate to say this, but I am considering bagging multiplayer support altogether. Too many variables.

Shaun

Developer, PureSim Baseball

(in reply to XCom)
Post #: 57
RE: Puresim Online Leagues? - 11/26/2006 6:15:09 AM   
XCom

No, no, no!!! Please don't give up on us just yet.

I have been using patch 1.31 in a test league for over a month without a problem. Something was introduced sometime after 1.35 that is causing problems. The two variables I see are:

1) incorporation of the 7z compression routine

and

2) ability to use the Matrix server as an option for league hosting

I'm more inclined to lean towards the Matrix hosting option as being the culprit since I've never had a problem with the game crashing during the compression/decompression phase. That part seems to be working okay. The problems all seem to stem from server checks or roster change submissions. It's as if the game is getting confused with the multiple hosting choices. I would suggest just removing the Matrix hosting option for the next patch and go back to the pre-1.35 code for mutiplayer (with the exception of leaving in the 7z compression because of the big time advantage of higher compression ratios). Let us find our hosting site. There are reasonably priced hosting options out there that have more than enough storage space and monthly bandwidth limits to host a league. Let's get it right with that option before worrying about giving people free server space to host a league. Just my 2 cents.

I'd hate to see multiplayer support pulled so close to a final release. Even if you go back fully to the pre-1.35 code it would be better than bagging it. Yes, there are things I'd like to see incorporated into multiplayer to make it work better, but not at the cost of losing multiplayer support altogether!

quote:

ORIGINAL: puresimmer

Wow, looks like there are problems with the server.

I hate to say this, but I am considering bagging multiplayer support altogether. Too many variables.

Shaun

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 58
RE: Puresim Online Leagues? - 11/26/2006 7:22:32 AM   
Deltadog

I don't know what the problem is but we were having problems downloading after players were assigned in Ducks league before the option to allow use of the Matrix server was introduced.  The problem also existed before the 7z compression was introduced.

I agree, that it would be ashamed if we lost the multiplayer support this close to the final patch.

(in reply to XCom)
Post #: 59
RE: Puresim Online Leagues? - 11/26/2006 7:43:04 AM   
XCom

Deltadog, going back and looking through the thread you guys had going when working on setting up Duck's league it seems to me that you guys didn't start having problems until 1.35 was released. See this entry by you on 8/29:

quote:

However, this will present another problem if my recent experience is an example. I recently upgraded to Beta 135. Now when I open the league, it tries to contact the FTP server and fails.

After that post a few people seem to have problems, Duck goes down with an injury, and the league collapses without any resolution to the connection problems.

Look at what 1.35 introduced...

=== 1.35 (BETA RC4) Fixes/Changes ====

- Fix: Error 6 when viewing defensive chart for some players (introduced in 1.34)

- New: Integrated BETA version of new 'Matrix Online' support for hosting multiplayer leagues
(Note: This version simply uses my home FTP server for a test, so download speeds will be a bit slow, when we get the Matrix servers setup I'll cut over to their servers and it should be super fast)

- New: Now using 7z for multiplayer association compression resulting in 3x to 5x smaller file sizes resulting in greatly improved upload/download times

This to me is the smoking gun...

(in reply to Deltadog)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> RE: Puresim Online Leagues? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI