Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

British TV Viewers

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> British TV Viewers Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
British TV Viewers - 11/14/2006 1:02:27 PM   
JudgeDredd

Sunday 19/11/2006 Channel 5 - A Bridge Too Far

Alba gu' brath
Post #: 1
RE: British TV Viewers - 11/14/2006 2:50:21 PM   
sterckxe

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd
Sunday 19/11/2006 Channel 5 - A Bridge Too Far

And to be fully prepared for watching it : play Highway to the Reich

http://www.matrixgames.com/games/game.asp?gid=241

[ nice pass Billy, that was an easy goal to score ]

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 2
RE: British TV Viewers - 11/14/2006 4:25:06 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Anyone interested in this film, should be personally ashamed to not own it on dvd.

Come, the film is old, and not even remotely expensive :)

You should also own The Longest Day, or we are revoking your right to be termed a wargamer :)

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to sterckxe)
Post #: 3
RE: British TV Viewers - 11/14/2006 8:34:22 PM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Anyone interested in this film, should be personally ashamed to not own it on dvd.

Hear, hear!!

(in reply to Les_the_Sarge_9_1)
Post #: 4
RE: British TV Viewers - 11/14/2006 10:51:41 PM   
sterckxe

quote:

You should also own The Longest Day, or we are revoking your right to be termed a wargamer :)

uh-oh - I'm in trouble - does being able to rent it at will also count ?

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Post #: 5
RE: British TV Viewers - 11/14/2006 11:17:17 PM   
ezzler

you can buy the war series box set of The great escape / battle of britain / and bridge too far in ASDA right now for £15.  Put it on your Xmas list.

(in reply to sterckxe)
Post #: 6
RE: British TV Viewers - 11/15/2006 1:33:43 AM   
ShermanM4

15 pounds ehh? IIRC, wasn't that the same price as one Borat feature at the movie theatre there in Colchester?

Hey OT but do you guys call pounds quid for slang like we call dollars bucks?

"Perserverance and spirit have done wonders in all ages."

~General George Washington

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 7
RE: British TV Viewers - 11/15/2006 1:48:21 AM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: ShermanM4

Yes.

(in reply to ShermanM4)
Post #: 8
RE: British TV Viewers - 11/15/2006 2:08:07 AM   
scott64

Hey that movie was on this week end on AMC 

Lucky for you, tonight it's just me

Any ship can be a minesweeper..once !! :)

http://suspenseandmystery.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 9
RE: British TV Viewers - 11/15/2006 10:21:13 AM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

15 pounds ehh? IIRC, wasn't that the same price as one Borat feature at the movie theatre there in Colchester?

OUCH! That one hurt!!

quote:

For the most part, yes and quid is the correct slang, although, I guess like the US, there are varying slang depending on where you live.

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to ShermanM4)
Post #: 10
RE: British TV Viewers - 11/15/2006 10:23:14 AM   
JudgeDredd

Love you sig, Scott - the minesweeper bit.

How are the Denver Broncos doing? I know John Elway (the most profound "last minute turn around" Quarterback EVER) is retired, but does he still keep his hand in the game? Coach? Trainer? Broadcaster?

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to scott64)
Post #: 11
RE: British TV Viewers - 11/15/2006 1:44:21 PM   
martxyz

If your going to watch A Bridge Too Far (yep- I do have the DVD) don't forget to be holding your special Arnhem Umbrella!!

If Horrocks really was anything like James Fox plays him (chaps), I think I'd want to kill the smarmy git myself! That really would give you something to tell your children about; hurrah!!

Incidentally, in Max Hastings' book "Armageddon", he reports that the intelligence officer, Captain John Killick, said "We call it Operation KCB" reflecting the view of the staff that the main aim of the whole thing was to get "Boy" Browning a Knighthood! (Which he got - along with the push!).

My brother-in-law is a memeber of the Arnhem Association. He and my sister regularly attend the annual gathering, and have had some really interesting contact with the residents and the ex-paras. They now have good friends in the area, as a result. As I recall (hazily), she told me that on one occasion she was pushing a veteran across the bridge in a wheelchair, and he said, humorously, something like, "the last time I actually walked across this bridge, the buggers were trying to kill me!" She's a bit of a physical wreck herself, though with a great sense of humour, so I imagine it was a fun crossing.

I think it's a great film so I hope everyone enjoys it. 

Martin

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 12
RE: British TV Viewers - 11/15/2006 3:46:27 PM   
ravinhood

Lol, "A Bridge Too Far" is shown on the AMC channel here religiously. I think at least once a week lol. Veterans day is always a large selection of WW2 movies as well. TCM also does this. And late at night around 12 channel 30 shows old "Combat" series show. Now, those are olddddd. Now all I need back is "Rat Patrol". ;)

(in reply to martxyz)
Post #: 13
RE: British TV Viewers - 11/15/2006 4:11:25 PM   
JudgeDredd

Combat!

Damn, I grew up with that. With Col Saunders? I loved that series!! Can't get a hold of it for love nor money, though.

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 14
RE: British TV Viewers - 11/15/2006 4:47:09 PM   
Jevhaddah

Combat.. sigh I grew up with that too, but I think it was Sergeant Saunders.   

I cant remember anything else about it.. sadly and what I do remember is probably wrong

Its Old age yoo know

Cheers

Jev

I am really quite mad yoo know!

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 15
RE: British TV Viewers - 11/15/2006 7:40:42 PM   
martxyz

Combat - Wasn't that the series with Vic Morrow? If so, I really loved it too, but it was so long ago, all I seem to remember is vague images of them always walking along a road, and then diving for cover.

(in reply to Jevhaddah)
Post #: 16
RE: British TV Viewers - 11/15/2006 7:47:59 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

I own the first 3 seasons of Combat and 1 season of Rat Patrol :)

I love old shows :)

(in reply to martxyz)
Post #: 17
RE: British TV Viewers - 11/15/2006 7:56:15 PM   
hank

quote:

I have it. IMHO one of the best war movies made at that time. Most of the equipment at least looks authentic. I watched it three times this weekend.

... and I have "The Longest Day", "Kelly's Heroes", "The Great Escape", and on and on and on and on. ... most likely, I have ~2 dozen good ole' war movies.

I'm looking for two now I can't find at a store (I've seen them on the web for sale) ... Halls of Montezuma (richard widmark i think) and The Sand Pebbles.

Post #: 18
RE: British TV Viewers - 11/15/2006 8:48:43 PM   
ShermanM4

quote:

I'm looking for two now I can't find at a store (I've seen them on the web for sale) ... Halls of Montezuma (richard widmark i think) and The Sand Pebbles.

The Sand Pebbles is a fantastic film! I am not sure why it won so many nominations back in the '60's but, anybody who wants some good insights into the Pacific prior to WWII this is your film. I think Candice Bergen is now older than Steve McQueen was in that film. Hank I am sure you could find it on Amazon.

(in reply to hank)
Post #: 19
RE: British TV Viewers - 11/15/2006 10:40:49 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

quote:

ORIGINAL: hank

quote:

I have it. IMHO one of the best war movies made at that time. Most of the equipment at least looks authentic. I watched it three times this weekend.

... and I have "The Longest Day", "Kelly's Heroes", "The Great Escape", and on and on and on and on. ... most likely, I have ~2 dozen good ole' war movies.

"most likely, I have ~2 dozen good ole' war movies" :)

Hehe, ok sorry shouldn't laugh I guess. I'm not sure how many war movies I have actually. Those two titles you need are fairly common though. Have you checked yer local Walmart? Halls of Montezuma seems popular in display stands around here at least.
I've seen it on dozens of displays near cashouts.

The only films I find challenging, are usually the old ones though. They just don't seem to interest any place that focuses on mainstream new releases.

One hot tip for collectors though, is look into a business like Zipem (Canada) or Netflix (USA). They often do retail as well as rental. And their inventories are often immense.

(in reply to hank)
Post #: 20
RE: British TV Viewers - 11/16/2006 12:08:55 AM   
martxyz

Does anybody like that classic movie "Attack" with the late-great Jack Palance in it. I only ever saw it once, when I was quite young, but I still remember some of it. It was the first war film I'd seen which left me with a feeling that I've never lost. Namely; that war is sh*t.

It was a great movie though. Jack Palance looked really haunted (which I guess might come in handy now - sorry; bad taste).

Post #: 21
RE: British TV Viewers - 11/16/2006 3:15:45 AM   
Brigz

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

Lol, "A Bridge Too Far" is shown on the AMC channel here religiously. I think at least once a week lol. Veterans day is always a large selection of WW2 movies as well. TCM also does this. And late at night around 12 channel 30 shows old "Combat" series show. Now, those are olddddd. Now all I need back is "Rat Patrol". ;)

ravenhood,
Is the channel 30 you receive a local channel or a cable/satallite channel? Would like to try and track it down.

“You're only young once but you can be immature for as long as you want”

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 22
RE: British TV Viewers - 11/16/2006 4:01:24 AM   
scott64

quote:

How are the Denver Broncos doing? I know John Elway (the most profound "last minute turn around" Quarterback EVER) is retired, but does he still keep his hand in the game? Coach? Trainer? Broadcaster?

Head of the Indoor Football Team..Colorado Crush

Lucky for you, tonight it's just me

Any ship can be a minesweeper..once !! :)

http://suspenseandmystery.blogspot.com/

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 23
RE: British TV Viewers - 11/16/2006 4:53:01 AM   
Raverdave

Hehehe....my favorite part of "The Longest Day" is were John Wayne is in the parachute packing shed when he gets the call...........it see him run like a girl just craks me up everytime ! 

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

(in reply to scott64)
Post #: 24
RE: British TV Viewers - 11/16/2006 6:26:44 AM   
Sarge

YA, Wayne running like a girl is funny as h3ll

But ya got to laugh , as the American and German patrol pass each other on opposing sides of the fence checking out the low flying aircraft.

COME ON !

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 25
RE: British TV Viewers - 11/16/2006 6:47:29 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sarge

YA, Wayne running like a girl is funny as h3ll

But ya got to laugh , as the American and German patrol pass each other on opposing sides of the fence checking out the low flying aircraft.

COME ON !

Weird shiit does happen though. I'll never forget walking a patrol, and actually walking over top of the guy in front of me.
I looked away a moment, didn't see him go prone, and his cammo was so absolute, he just became invisible. Funny as hell to hear him grunt "Les, get off my back man".

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 26
RE: British TV Viewers - 11/16/2006 10:35:50 PM   
ShermanM4

quote:

quote:

Head of the Indoor Football Team..Colorado Crush

About 7 years before he retired, ol' John the King of Denver decided to diversify his talents and see if there was life after the NFL. He opened up 7 auto dealerships. I live really close to the John Elway Toyota. After 7 months, the comeback king wasn't doing so hot in the auto industry. He sold it to Auto-Nation USA for about $7 billion dollars with the understanding he would continue to do advertisements for Auto-Nation USA 7 times a year.
Not to be put asunder, the 4th quarter magic man ventured into another business oppurtunity. It was called Lockeroom.com or something like that. Like a quaterback hit on the moment of realease, this site sadly wabbled and missed it mark oh.....7 minutes after it was launched.
Now lets not forget that several million passing yards, completions, touchdowns, and 2.7 superbowl rings (he went to five superbowls which has gotta count for something) later he made it into the Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio. He then decided to venture into the world of Areana Football. Though I am not a fan of this sport I went to see one game last season. No joke guess how much the cheap seats were? yep $7. Hey whats in a number?

Judgedredd, he mostly gets in the paper nowadays because of his x-wife and not for the team he owns. It became public and nasty that she left him because of his infedelity. Its a sad situation really. She has gone onto a lot of great things with several local charity groups and she retains his last name even though they are legally divorced.

< Message edited by ShermanM4 -- 11/16/2006 10:41:08 PM >

Post #: 27
RE: British TV Viewers - 11/17/2006 12:16:20 AM   
Texican

I remember quoting that movie while playing the old Avalon Hill boardgame Third Reich years ago.  I was the Allies and trying to recapture Paris with a combination sea invasion and paradrop.  A 2:1 odds battle maybe, but with lots of good units at stake.  I think if you lost a paratroop unit that was out of supply, it was permanent loss (or some such game rule).

I lost the die roll (and the battle) and quipped, "Well, I always thought we went a bridge too far."  My gaming partner chuckled.

(in reply to ShermanM4)
Post #: 28
RE: British TV Viewers - 11/17/2006 12:19:47 AM   
Raverdave

WTF is Areana Football.??????

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

(in reply to Texican)
Post #: 29
RE: British TV Viewers - 11/17/2006 6:30:47 PM   
ShermanM4

quote:

WTF is Areana Football.??????

woops Arena not areana.....Raverdave, this is basically a modification of traditional football. No its not soccer or Australian rules football. It has a 45 yard field (50?) no sidelines just walls. There is a net behind the the goal post and many kickoffs are not caugt but played on the rebound from the net. Most offensive plays are one bomb pass or two passes that result quickly in a touchdown. The game is meant to be highscoring and fast moving. Most games result around 70-to-100 points or so. There really is no defense except the interception. There is almost no way to stop the offense. The formations are somewhat different. Primarily the offense passes but occasionally you will see "Hoss" or fast little guy who can run. Typically you know a run is coming because they will set the formation up in an Ace-Arrow or Horseshoe in order to get one good block or break in the line. In other words, its just meant to give guys who are trying to make it into the NFL and outlet where they can be seen. It is not really popular by comparrison to the NCAA or NFL.

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> British TV Viewers Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI