Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: V0.3 released

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: V0.3 released Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: V0.3 released - 12/19/2006 6:37:27 PM   
6971grunt

Downloaded v.03, when following directions to open my program asks "what program do you want to run this" and then it list programs on my computer, but none seem to work - is this were I discover that I don't have Java 1.5? Presently running Windows XP - why is this so difficult?

"Over?! It's not over until we say it's over. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!" John Blutarsky from the Movie "Animal House"

(in reply to BB57)
Post #: 271
RE: V0.3 released - 12/19/2006 7:07:01 PM   
Nemo121

Woos.

Ok, I managed to find it. There was a single device with quotation marks around the MG portion of it. I've fixed that and any other suspicious devices.

Now, however it gives me the error message below. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to BB57)
Post #: 272
RE: V0.3 released - 12/19/2006 7:50:49 PM   
Woos

quote:

ORIGINAL: grunt6971
is this were I discover that I don't have Java 1.5?

Probably. You might want to click on the .bat file which will give you a error message if no Java is installed.

quote:

Presently running Windows XP - why is this so difficult?

Hmm, maybe because Microsoft wanted to prevent the success of Java as that threatened their "it only runs on Windows so I need Windows" monopoly? So they first created their own, incompatible branch of Java. And when that was prohibited by courts they invented C## and .Net to maintain the state that Windows programs run on MS platform only. Thank them that you have to download Java seperately from Sun. Their interest does not coincide with their customer's interest.

@Nemo:
Possibility a) you have (as the error message says) a ship class updating to a non-existing ship class.
Possibility b) you ignored my request in post 62 ( see http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1298889&mpage=3&key=# ) which I admittedly took back in post 71 and introduced too many backwards loops in the ship update relationship. Please send me your .csv files, I will probably have to transfer the mechanism I used to solve that problem for aircrafts also to ships since modders seem to like to upgrade "downwards".

(in reply to 6971grunt)
Post #: 273
RE: V0.3 released - 12/19/2006 9:51:58 PM   
Kokubokan

The v0.3 run OK, but my problem are the clusters.

The industry tab show all blank (except the spoilage). The rest is all OK.

I use witpload to export to csv files the scen 15 DB, but not seen the files clusters.csv and baseclusters.csv...

Any suggestions?

(in reply to Woos)
Post #: 274
RE: V0.3 released - 12/20/2006 9:44:42 AM   
Woos

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kokubokan
Any suggestions?

Maybe RTFM?

(in reply to Kokubokan)
Post #: 275
RE: V0.3 released - 12/20/2006 11:21:56 AM   
Emilio

Hello Kokubokan,

Nice to see another player from Valencia (Spain). I'm also from Valencia, actually living in Silla.
If you want to play a game, please, let me know. I have sent to you a private message.

Regards,

Emilio.

(in reply to Kokubokan)
Post #: 276
RE: V0.3 released - 12/20/2006 4:28:15 PM   
Mynok

quote:

ORIGINAL: Woos

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kokubokan
Any suggestions?

Maybe RTFM?

(in reply to Woos)
Post #: 277
RE: V0.3 released - 12/20/2006 5:09:56 PM   
Kokubokan

Or maybe MFTR

Could you help me?

Regards

< Message edited by Kokubokan -- 12/20/2006 7:53:57 PM >

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 278
RE: V0.3 released - 12/20/2006 9:10:45 PM   
Woos

OK, Feurer's problem is found. WitP seemingly decided to try a new way to corrupt save games and manipulated Mr. H. Aso (leader 1721) to have rank and command ability of 0. Everything else (including nationality) is still OK. In the starting database he was a Captain in the IJN Navy capable of commanding ships.
If that is supposed to be a creative way of the code to kill leaders, I would like to point out that rank=0 is actually an allowed value for ranks (WO in IJA) although it is not for several other constants (like e.g. command ability, looks like two people defined constants when writing WitP, one using zeros and the other not).

*edit* Same holds for leader 1724 (Awanohara, M) and 3563 (Komoda, F.). Did you do anything special that only you (and BB57) are hit by this seemingly not so seldom bug?

Now that it is known to be a WitP problem witpdecoder can work around it in the next version (I noticed that in such cases I previously wrote "Will be fixed in the next version" which is of course wrong. There is no bug to fix in witpdecoder but only in WitP and that is something I can't fix). There is no way I know of to fix it by hand yourself.

@Kokubokan
If you don't understand an abbreviation in a forum, it is a good idea to GLOG it (=Go Look On Google) as that may save you embarrasing explanations. RTFM for example means "Read the F...... Manual". The question you asked is answered there twice. First, shortly under bullet 3 in the "Installation" section (!), then, more comprehensive, in the section on the Industry tab (even in bold there). There is a reason I took the effort to write that manual which is to avoid having to answer the same questions here again and again. The documentation also contains other interesting things you might need to know to really make use of witpdecoder. Like e.g. what the columns in the ship classes tab mean and what sorts what.

< Message edited by Woos -- 12/20/2006 10:03:30 PM >

(in reply to Kokubokan)
Post #: 279
RE: V0.3 released - 12/20/2006 10:11:55 PM   
FeurerKrieg

Thanks for the effort Woos! I'll await your next release with the built-in workaround.

As to things I have done, I don't know. I will say this file has been tinkered with twice by Matrix - the first time the game would crash during the combat resolution. Michael M fixed it that time, and I think he said there was a bad pilot in the file or something like that. Then, just recently, Xargun and who knows who else, fixed the Anshan factory problem that your decoder pointed out.

Perhaps I just have bad luck with file corruption?

Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks

(in reply to Woos)
Post #: 280
V0.3b to get you over the holy days - 12/22/2006 3:38:08 PM   
Woos

Hmm, since it seems I can give christmas gifts to lots of people with just one intermediate release, let's do it. Basically no new functionality but

• VSWG gets his database dump into .csv although I'm not sure he will like it. I discovered an easy way to do it, but it produces no column names (find them in the witp.script file) and the DB layout is copyied 1:1 (so no denormalization). Also the output format might change anytime the database schema changes (it just dumps the data using the database internal meta information). No further support (like "please tell me what that table means") is available for this feature. BTW, you have to delete all the created *csv.csv files by hand before you can do it again. Otherwise you get a NullPointerException.
  • Feurer should be able to read in his demoted leaders.
  • qgaliana, grunt6971 (and everyone else) will be able to select leaders also by rank, improving the probability to actually find a promising leader in the in-game selection dialog dramatically (Thanks guys for the tip). You will have to work out yourself, which ranks combine which with nationality, though.
  • Rainer gets not yet available ships in the inconsitency tab marked (NYA).
  • Calculation of used Naval and Merchant points should finally(!) be correct.
  • Probably some more inconsistencies in save files which witpDecoder can now read in, that I forgot about. There are too many to still remember single ones.

Get the new .jar file from http://extweb.retsiemuab.de/witp/witpDecoder3b.jar and overwrite your witpDecoder2.jar file with it (don't forget to change the number). And to avoid the usual question, yes, this really is a .jar file. If you download it and get a .zip file or even a bunch of files, you have a browser problem (called IE).

Have fun and if it doesn't work go back to V0.3 (see first post for redownload address) as I'm offline for the comming days.

< Message edited by Woos -- 12/22/2006 3:50:10 PM >

(in reply to FeurerKrieg)
Post #: 281
RE: V0.3b to get you over the holy days - 12/22/2006 3:54:00 PM   
VSWG

quote:

• VSWG gets his database dump into .csv although I'm not sure he will like it. I discovered an easy way to do it, but it produces no column names (find them in the witp.script file) and the DB layout is copyied 1:1 (so no denormalization). Also the output format might change anytime the database schema changes (it just dumps the data using the database internal meta information). No further support (like "please tell me what that table means") is available for this feature. BTW, you have to delete all the created *csv.csv files by hand before you can do it again. Otherwise you get a NullPointerException.

• Woah, thanks!!!

I'll have a look asap!

Merry Christmas!!

(in reply to Woos)
    Post #: 282
    RE: V0.3b to get you over the holy days - 12/22/2006 7:49:06 PM   
    FeurerKrieg

Great news, thanks Woos! I'll be gone for a few days, but when I get back, and get caught up on any turns in my in-box, I'll give it a go and let you know how it goes. Thanks for your help!

(in reply to Woos)
    Post #: 283
    RE: V0.3b to get you over the holy days - 12/22/2006 9:09:55 PM   
    Oliver Heindorf

quote:

And to avoid the usual question, yes, this really is a .jar file. If you download it and get a .zip file or even a bunch of files, you have a browser problem (called IE).

LOL !

thanks !!!!

< Message edited by Oliver Heindorf -- 12/22/2006 9:20:29 PM >

(in reply to Woos)
    Post #: 284
    RE: V0.3b to get you over the holy days - 12/22/2006 9:18:56 PM   
    vertical

Wow, this utility looks fantastic.  Might have to repurchase WitP soon.

(in reply to Oliver Heindorf)
    Post #: 285
    RE: V0.3b to get you over the holy days - 12/22/2006 9:58:30 PM   
    VSWG

The database dump is great! I'll see if I can create a couple of Excel-files that pull some data from those .csv-files. In case someone else is interested in this: the most interesting files and their contents are:

BaseStatusCSV.csv

BaseID, PosX, PosY, HQ ID, AirfieldMax, AirfieldCurrent, AirfieldExpansion, PortMax, PortCurrent, PortExpansion, FortCurrent, FortExpansion, StoredFuel, StoredSupply, StoredOil, StoredResources, BaseName, FactoryCount, BaseType, NationalityID, OriginalNationalityID, AppearingFuel, AppearingSupply, AppearingOil, AppearingResources

ShipStatusCSV.csv

ShipID, ShipClassID, HarborLocID, TFID, Endurance, Fuel, LoadedRes, LoadedSupp, LoadedOil, LoadedFuel, LoadedUnitID, ExpDay, ExpNight, CommanderID, ShipName, NationalityID, BuildSpeed, TurnsTillAvail

TFStatusCSV.csv

TF ID, PosX, PosY, CommanderID, HomeHarborID, TargetID, Targetx, TargetY, MissionID, NationalityID

LCUStatusCSV.csv

LCU ID, PosX, PosY, PrepLoc, PrepPerc, Exp, Morale, Fatigue, CommanderID, HQ ID, TargetID, TargetX, TargetY, StoredSupply, Name, SuffixID, LCUTypeID, Comment, NationalityID, TurnsTillAvail, FragmentToParent, FragmentNumber

(in reply to vertical)
    Post #: 286
    RE: V0.3b to get you over the holy days - 12/22/2006 10:26:14 PM   
    BB57

Thanks Woos, 3b fixed problem noted above in my PBEM game. Now the witpdecoder.log file tells me Cornelis, J. C. no parent LeadersCommandAbilityMustExist table. Deleted witp.* and *.csv files and reinitialized twice and got the same message.  I feel the problem is in the save file and not in witpdecoder. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix or are we doomed to no witpdecoder for this game?

(in reply to VSWG)
    Post #: 287
    RE: V0.3b to get you over the holy days - 12/26/2006 8:19:12 PM   
    eloso

Woos,

In the future if you are up to adding new features I'd like to see the Reinforcement screens added. The notification for new arrivals are disabled in PBEM games. Currently, I keep a back up save prior to ending the orders phase to review prior to the next turn.

Thanks,

Oso

(in reply to BB57)
    Post #: 288
    RE: V0.3b to get you over the holy days - 12/27/2006 3:21:37 AM   
    Crimguy

OK I'm officially a moron <enter everyone's affirmation here>.  I tried following the directions, but seems that something is missing.

I've run witpload.  It gives me several csv files, but no clusters.csv file.  Your instructions state:

To make full use of the Industry tab you need a “clusters.csv” and a “clusterbases.csv” file
    for your specific scenario. The example files provided in the witpdecoder.zip file will only
    work for scenario 192. If you are using anything else, these files will probably cause false
    information to be displayed if you just rename them to the correct.

Neither the Witpload or witpdecoder instructions shed any light on how to resolve this.

Thanks in advance.  It does run - just not sure it's running properly.

(in reply to eloso)
    Post #: 289
    RE: V0.3b to get you over the holy days - 12/27/2006 3:49:42 AM   
    scout1

Not a moron .... Wiptload will NOT create a custers file. This as to be done manually. Good news is that it is scenario specific (and partially time dependendent on what you've captured/had captured). Starting csv files should start to be populated by the community as this tool is more widely used ....

(in reply to Crimguy)
    Post #: 290
    RE: V0.3b to get you over the holy days - 12/27/2006 4:48:37 AM   
    Crimguy

I feel a bit better, thx.

hmmmm. . . where can I get more info on the creation of these files (if I would like to create them myself)?

(in reply to scout1)
    Post #: 291
    RE: V0.3b to get you over the holy days - 12/27/2006 7:54:50 AM   
    qgaliana

quote:

• qgaliana, grunt6971 (and everyone else) will be able to select leaders also by rank, improving the probability to actually find a promising leader in the in-game selection dialog dramatically (Thanks guys for the tip). You will have to work out yourself, which ranks combine which with nationality, though.

• This works great - HUGE THANKS. The ranks are quickly figured out so no worries.

(in reply to Woos)
    Post #: 292
    RE: V0.3b to get you over the holy days - 12/27/2006 1:54:45 PM   
    Sardaukar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crimguy

I feel a bit better, thx.

hmmmm. . . where can I get more info on the creation of these files (if I would like to create them myself)?

I second that...the instructions to actually get it to run seem to be quite vague...

(in reply to Crimguy)
    Post #: 293
    RE: V0.3b to get you over the holy days - 12/27/2006 4:51:09 PM   
    VSWG

Vague? 

quote:

Note that this tab requires two .csv files which are not provided by WitpDecoder, “clusters.csv” and
    “clusterbases.csv”. More correctly witpDecoder provides an example set of those files but those
    are only correct for players playing Big B's Mod 192 based on Andrew Brown's Extended Map. If
    you use them with any other scenario the values shown in the table may be arbitrarily wrong. You
    will have to create your own files, with clusters.csv containing all the clusters you want to
    distinguish numbered from 1 (and a “-1” entry showing the scenario the files were made for) and
    “clusterbases.csv” containing all the baseIDs assigned to each cluster. (the “name” column in the
    example clusterbases.csv is not evaluated by witpDecoder and only there to allow easier error
    checking).
    Currently both .csv files have to be present already during database initialization to be
    taken into account. This may change in the future.

To rephrase:

1. In clusters.csv you define all clusters you want to use in WitPDecoder. Each cluster gets its own cell in the format "Number, Clustername"
    2. In clusterbase.csv you assign all your bases with industry to the correct cluster. Every base gets its own cell: "ClusterID (the number from clusters.csv), BaseID (you have to look this up in the editor), Basename.

Done.

(in reply to Sardaukar)
    Post #: 294
    RE: V0.3b to get you over the holy days - 12/28/2006 5:30:33 AM   
    Reg

Can you change cluster definitions (.csv files) during the game as bases change hands??

Cheers,
    Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
    Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

(in reply to VSWG)
    Post #: 295
    RE: V0.3b to get you over the holy days - 12/28/2006 10:14:44 AM   
    FeurerKrieg

Yes.

(in reply to Reg)
    Post #: 296
    RE: V0.3b to get you over the holy days - 12/28/2006 2:44:21 PM   
    Sardaukar

quote:

ORIGINAL: VSWG

Vague?

To rephrase:

1. In clusters.csv you define all clusters you want to use in WitPDecoder. Each cluster gets its own cell in the format "Number, Clustername"
    2. In clusterbase.csv you assign all your bases with industry to the correct cluster. Every base gets its own cell: "ClusterID (the number from clusters.csv), BaseID (you have to look this up in the editor), Basename.

Done.

And where it does say *how* you make those clusters.cvs etc. for your scenarios ?

You know, not all are computer experts...and that sort of information is essential for starters...

< Message edited by Sardaukar -- 12/28/2006 2:55:03 PM >

(in reply to VSWG)
    Post #: 297
    RE: V0.3b to get you over the holy days - 12/28/2006 7:45:58 PM   
    VSWG

I think everything will become clear once you open the attached example files. Use Editor, or WordPad, or MS Word, or any other program able to open text files.

(in reply to Sardaukar)
    Post #: 298
    RE: V0.3b to get you over the holy days - 12/28/2006 9:30:46 PM   
    Oliver Heindorf

yes, you can use the example files included in the zip file to make/re-structure them to your convinience and then use them with this tool.  its some kind of work, though. I havent completed it yet, I just tested it a bit around to see how it is supposed to work.

if you ask me, Bodhi and Markus should combine their efforts - the result would be a blast.

(in reply to VSWG)
    Post #: 299
    RE: V0.3b to get you over the holy days - 12/29/2006 12:51:11 AM   
    herwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Oliver Heindorf

yes, you can use the example files included in the zip file to make/re-structure them to your convinience and then use them with this tool.  its some kind of work, though. I havent completed it yet, I just tested it a bit around to see how it is supposed to work.

if you ask me, Bodhi and Markus should combine their efforts - the result would be a blast.

The example files will work for CHS scenarios 155-160.

Harry Erwin
    "For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

(in reply to Oliver Heindorf)
    Post #: 300
    Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
    All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: V0.3 released Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
    Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI