Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

V0.3 released

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> V0.3 released Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
V0.3 released - 12/11/2006 1:48:28 AM   
Woos

OK, everyone's patience has finally paid (you were patient, weren't you?): The V0.3 release is ready. Find it in the first post.
Everyone complaining about complicated set up can rejoice and frolic (no, I don't mean you should start eating the dog food), V0.3 does most of the things automatically (hopefully). You will all come to love the highly sophisticated (*cough*) automatic setup routine since V0.3 does change the database schema and you thus need to re-setup the database. V0.4 will do again.

Everyone having problems with inconsistent save games can join all the frolicing. While playing around with V0.3 to test it for the Allies I found quite a bit of inconsistencies (the game really likes to corrupt Allied TF records). That's actually the reason for the late release. But also Allied save games should now read into witpDecoder without an exception every other time.

Everyone hoping for new functionality probably has to wait for merrier days to do the rejoicing, the above ate quite a bit of time. So the only new functionality over 0.2b (which is no longer available) is the resource history tab (which also took quite a bit of time). See below.

And since now christmas is nearing, cookies need to be baked, presents to be made, etc. you are expected to find no more bugs and live happyly with the current functionality for the rest of the year.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Woos -- 12/11/2006 2:07:43 AM >

(in reply to shangrila)
Post #: 211
RE: V0.3 released - 12/11/2006 3:05:00 AM   
ctangus

Outstanding! I tried to be patient, at least...

I did found a minor bug. I'll mention it now, only because I might forget to later. If you never fix it your tool is still fantastic.

On your LCU targets tab, every unit is listed as being on ship, when mostly they're not. This is with two different games - both as Allied PBEM. Here's a screenshot. It would be hard to load that many Chinese units onto ships:

Get to this if & when you can & enjoy your holidays!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by ctangus -- 12/11/2006 3:13:38 AM >

(in reply to Woos)
Post #: 212
RE: V0.3 released - 12/11/2006 2:34:59 PM   
RAM

....still gives me error when I try to load a savegame...

Still haven't been able to use this magnific tool in my PBEM :(

Attachment (1)

RAM

"Look at me! look at me!!!

Not like that! NOT LIKE THAT!!!"

(in reply to ctangus)
Post #: 213
RE: WitpDecoder; Now also for allies - 12/11/2006 2:43:25 PM   
m10bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Woos

As discussed elsewhere I was a bit displeased with the GUI of WitP which doesn't deliver lots of necessary information at all or only after several clicks (and thus hint at Mr. Grisby being a quite bad UI designer).
Solution a first: Maintain several spread sheets by hand. Bad. Why am I doing work a computer is much better at.
Solution now: WitpDecoder!

WitpDecoder will read your savegame file, extract information into an SQL-Database, collect it over several turns and display it in a (hopefully) easily accessible way to you. Currently it provides:

• Overview of stocks, production, usage, ... of all 'strategic resources' like engines.
  • List of units moving and/or preparing for a certain base (basically impossible to get that in-game since all units on ships vanish from the in-game lists)
  • List of leaders with all attributes shown and custom rating formulas defineable
  • List of ships to be updated at a date (and their current location)
  • List of ship classes to select the best ones for a TF.
  • List of leaders assigned to more than one unit/TFs and other inconsistencies (Yeah, you finally can see the leaderbug ;-)

And all that for not 10, not 7, not 5, no only 2.6 MB download from http://extweb.retsiemuab.de/witp/witpdecoder.zip (most of it used up by the SWT and HSQLDB jar files and libraries). More instructions in the witpDecoder-docs.pdf file (also in the .zip file).

Now updated to V0.3 which is the first "full release" (including docs & Co) supporting also Allied players. Has an easier setup (no work on the command line should be necessary anymore), a resource history and a ship classes tab. Just download the above zip file.

Previously V0.2 brought better handling of CHS and dot bases as well as a working Industry&Spoilage tab. Also removed the need to copy error reports from the console, they are written to witpdecoder.log.

Below some screenshots to wet your appetite.

Oh, before I forget. Some restrictions.

• You need Java 1.5.
  • This is an early release. Expect bugs. And expect database changes in future versions to come without an automatic upgrade mechanism (so keep your safe files).
  • Do use the "Quit" menu to leave (and not the "Close Window" X-button). Otherwise the database will never clean up and things will quickly become awfully slow.
  • Reading in a save file is slow with only minimal feedback. Don't despair. It does not hang. Really. Remember, you need a fast computer for WitP anyway ;-)

Known bugs:

• Coral Sea Scenario does not work with witpDecoder (and probably never will). It uses the Truk base as Headquarter for Truk Base Force, which can not easily modeled within witpDecoder.

Thank you Markus..I would like to send you a big box of Quark, but we don't have it in the stores over here!

(in reply to Woos)
Post #: 214
RE: WitpDecoder; Now also for allies - 12/11/2006 3:37:44 PM   
JamesM

Markus,

I am still getting errors,

Attachment (1)

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 215
RE: WitpDecoder; Now also for allies - 12/11/2006 5:17:00 PM   
Toddr22_slith

Marcus I am getting the following errors.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to JamesM)
Post #: 216
RE: WitpDecoder; Now also for allies - 12/11/2006 8:37:26 PM   
Oliver Heindorf

works now ! :)  

one little thingy : I load one of my pbems and I get a zillion leader error messages...but alot of them are from not-yet-received ships and some of them are from LCUs I never heard of

(in reply to Toddr22_slith)
Post #: 217
RE: V0.3 released - 12/11/2006 9:32:36 PM   
Woos

quote:

ORIGINAL: ctangus
On your LCU targets tab, every unit is listed as being on ship, when mostly they're not. This is with two different games - both as Allied PBEM. Here's a screenshot. It would be hard to load that many Chinese units onto ships:

Strange, the only reasons I can see for that in the code is either the units having a non-existing suffix (which doesn't seem to be the case guessing from the screenshot) or walking to a non-existing base. Can you send me savegame, .csv files and password, you should have my e-mail already.

@RAM: looks like an unkown save game inconsistency, can you please sent me the files mentioned above, e-mail adress is on its way.

@m10bob: Well, I like ice-cream better than quark anyway. Although there might be an even worse transport problem with that ;-)

@jamesm You are obviously lacking the ships4history.csv file. It's in the witpdecoder.zip file.

@toddr22 Never seen that but I very much suspect that you are using a java version before 1.5. Get 1.5 from the URL mentioned in the docs (note that in an attempt to pass through version numbers quicker Sun actually calls java 1.5 "Java 5"). The latest version (1.6 resp. 6) should also work, but I didn't test it.

@Oliver Sorry, all your ships are read in and all your ships have leaders assigned in the save games (even those in the build queue). I would suspect that if a leader dies, he is not removed by the game as commander of the ships in the build queue and thus generates an error by witpdecoder. Would be interesting to see, if some existing leader is assigned to a ship when it is finished or if it stays with an empty leader.
In principle the DB schema already contains a special table for shpis in the buildqueue (on which much less information is required by witpdecoder), but it is currently not used and all ships are in the main ship table. Will not be changed any time soon, your best bet is to use the "Cancle" button to get rid of the pop-up.
Same problem probably with the LCU. Dead leader assigned to a replacement LCU.

(in reply to ctangus)
Post #: 218
RE: V0.3 released - 12/11/2006 11:14:20 PM   
JamesM

Markus,

It is saying it is a leadership bug issue.

(in reply to Woos)
Post #: 219
RE: V0.3 released - 12/11/2006 11:29:24 PM   
treespider

I have the same LCU on ships issue....only from a Japanese perspective.

In addition -
when I first ran v0.3 I initialised as stated in the user guide. Then when I loaded my first save I clicked 'Cancel' on the first inconsistancy pop-up and the programmed CTD. Then when I re-opened the program again I found the the save was already loaded. When I loaded my second save I decided not to click 'Cancel' as I figured that was the source of the CTD. So I clicked on 'Yes' on the first inconsistancy popup and it CTD again. However when I re-opened the program I found the second save had been loaded.

Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910

(in reply to Woos)
Post #: 220
RE: V0.3 released - 12/12/2006 12:24:11 AM   
Woos

@james Huh? Your screenshot clearly says that you are missing a file and are not having leaderbug problems.

*edit* I think I found treespider's "CTD" (which is no "crash", there will be an exception backtrace in witpdecoder.log) as well as the "all units are on ships" problems of ctangus. Actually I suspect ctangus also had a "CTD". Because everyone has who created a new database with V0.3.

One of the last changes I did yesterday introduced dummy base 32767 which is located at position, you guessed it, 32767/32767. It's needed to replace the missing home harbour of some Allied TFs.
Now witpdecoder also contains a routine to generate an array of which hex is next to which base. That generation process runs once the first save game was read in (didn't do that yesterday evening) and really does not like it when a base is located far outside the pacific (like in hex 32767,32767). Fixed in the newly uploaded release. Everbody should redownload. No need to reinitialize the database, the "everyone is on ships" should fix itself once the next save game is read in.

< Message edited by Woos -- 12/12/2006 3:00:07 AM >

(in reply to treespider)
Post #: 221
RE: V0.3 released - 12/12/2006 7:08:05 PM   
Seeadler

Woos,
I'm getting the same error message as RAM. Do you have any idea already?
quote:

ORIGINAL: RAM

....still gives me error when I try to load a savegame...

Still haven't been able to use this magnific tool in my PBEM :(

(in reply to RAM)
Post #: 222
RE: V0.3 released - 12/12/2006 11:54:51 PM   
Oliver Heindorf

thanks Woos ! 

(in reply to Seeadler)
Post #: 223
RE: V0.3 released - 12/13/2006 1:03:09 AM   
saj42

Woos
This keeps getting better, now patched to V 0.3 - but I'm still having 'a senior moment'.

I've got the 'ship classes' tab now
I'm not getting 'foreign leaders' reported anymore (and I had 5 under V 0.2)
I'm not getting the LCU prepping showing as all 'on ship' (ctangus problem)

Enjoy the holiday season and look forward to more in the new year.

Banner by rogueusmc

(in reply to Woos)
Post #: 224
RE: V0.3 released - 12/13/2006 1:44:47 AM   
Woos

quote:

ORIGINAL: Seeadler

RAM's problem is that the "Portland Base Force" (LCUID 2156) is preparing for base 299. To bad, because base 299 is non-existant (located in the list between Magwe and Christobal). Now there are IMHO three explanations for this:

1) random corruption by WitP
2) bad prep Target assigned by mod in scenario definition
3) Mod has manipulated base list and the AI is prepping that unit for a fixed (and now empty) baseID.

IMHO 1) is not probable because I got an error report PMed from OSO which concerned the same LCU with the same exception. He BTW send me the ASCII output from the witpdecoder.log file which a) take less space than the screen shots and b) contains an indication which unit has a problem (so people can have a look themselves at those units in-game or in the mods .csv files)
3) is improbable because RAM is playing as the Allies and the LCU is also an allied unit.
That leaves 2) as most probable reason: we have another problem with CHS (in addition to the torpedo inflation). Can someone check the CHS scenario files what Portland Base Force is prepping for? I don't have that scenario here.

Next version will fix the problem, for now just assign a different prep target to Portland Base Force (and if that doesn't help have a look in the witpdecoder.log file, which LCU is causing the problem).

BTW, is someone reporting these errors to CHS?

(in reply to Seeadler)
Post #: 225
RE: V0.3 released - 12/13/2006 1:58:02 AM   
VSWG

quote:

That leaves 2) as most probable reason: we have another problem with CHS (in addition to the torpedo inflation). Can someone check the CHS scenario files what Portland Base Force is prepping for? I don't have that scenario here.

Portland Base Force is prepping for LocID 299, which is indeed an empty slot in CHS.

quote:

AFAIK there's no new release of CHS pending, but I'll keep this thread in mind should Andrew ask for bugs. I think he's checking this thread himself, too.

(in reply to Woos)
Post #: 226
RE: V0.3 released - 12/13/2006 4:12:37 AM   
RAM

thanks a lot Woos. Looking forward the fixed version ;)

and, reporting the errors to CHS is a bit tricky now as I think its no longer supported as the main developer stopped working on it...

RAM

(in reply to Woos)
Post #: 227
RE: V0.3 released - 12/13/2006 5:58:04 AM   
RAM

I manually changed portland base force's target base to Portland itself in my savegame, saved the game, and tried to open the saved game with WITPdecoder.

It worked

Thanks again, Woos...and thanks for the tool itself it will really help in my games from now onwards

< Message edited by RAM -- 12/13/2006 6:07:39 AM >

RAM

(in reply to RAM)
Post #: 228
RE: V0.3 released - 12/13/2006 6:09:01 AM   
jcjordan

Woos now getting this error on a new savegame, need me to send you anything or can you tell me where to look? I've not deleted anything this time

Could not create or initialize the database
java.sql.SQLException: Numeric value out of range
at org.hsqldb.jdbc.Util.sqlException(Unknown Source)
at org.hsqldb.jdbc.jdbcStatement.fetchResult(Unknown Source)
at org.hsqldb.jdbc.jdbcStatement.executeUpdate(Unknown Source)
at de.retsiemuab.witpDecoder.aW.a(Unknown Source)
at de.retsiemuab.witpDecoder.aF.a(Unknown Source)
at de.retsiemuab.witpDecoder.aW.b(Unknown Source)
at de.retsiemuab.witpDecoder.aA.run(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.swt.custom.BusyIndicator.showWhile(BusyIndicator.java:67)
at de.retsiemuab.witpDecoder.s.c(Unknown Source)
at de.retsiemuab.witpDecoder.f.widgetSelected(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.TypedListener.handleEvent(TypedListener.java:90)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:66)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:928)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:3348)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:2968)
at de.retsiemuab.witpDecoder.F.a(Unknown Source)
at de.retsiemuab.witpDecoder.Main.a(Unknown Source)
at de.retsiemuab.witpDecoder.Main.main(Unknown Source)
Couldn't set up a working DB template. Bad, Bad.

(in reply to RAM)
Post #: 229
RE: V0.3 released - 12/13/2006 7:52:12 AM   
AU Tiger_MatrixForum

I figured I would wait for an upgrade or two before I downloaded. I finally did it, and now I am perplexed. I am in December, 41 as the Allies so now I have the added PP load (stock) of removing G. Boyington from command of a DD amongst many others... Very nice work by the way. I also liked the touch in the manual about not understanding "the above paragraph." I didn't. When can I sign up for lessons?

"Never take counsel of your fears."

Tho. Jackson

(in reply to jcjordan)
Post #: 230
RE: V0.3 released - 12/13/2006 10:35:32 AM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: VSWG
AFAIK there's no new release of CHS pending, but I'll keep this thread in mind should Andrew ask for bugs. I think he's checking this thread himself, too.

I do look in from time to time and I have seen the references to the two errors. By all means keep reporting them if any more are found.

Thanks,
Andrew

(in reply to VSWG)
Post #: 231
RE: V0.3 released - 12/14/2006 1:02:05 AM   
eloso

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Seeadler

RAM's problem is that the "Portland Base Force" (LCUID 2156) is preparing for base 299. To bad, because base 299 is non-existant (located in the list between Magwe and Christobal). Now there are IMHO three explanations for this:

1) random corruption by WitP
2) bad prep Target assigned by mod in scenario definition
3) Mod has manipulated base list and the AI is prepping that unit for a fixed (and now empty) baseID.

IMHO 1) is not probable because I got an error report PMed from OSO which concerned the same LCU with the same exception. He BTW send me the ASCII output from the witpdecoder.log file which a) take less space than the screen shots and b) contains an indication which unit has a problem (so people can have a look themselves at those units in-game or in the mods .csv files)
3) is improbable because RAM is playing as the Allies and the LCU is also an allied unit.

Next version will fix the problem, for now just assign a different prep target to Portland Base Force (and if that doesn't help have a look in the witpdecoder.log file, which LCU is causing the problem).

This worked. I got a few other warnings and notices but the file loaded successfully after changing the prep target for the Portland Base Force.

Note that this applies to CHS 2.08 scenario 160.

Thanks,

Oso

(in reply to Woos)
Post #: 232
RE: V0.3 released - 12/14/2006 2:43:54 PM   
Likendeeler

Great tool and it´s working for most of my saves. But not for my own PBEM-scen (probably my own fault) .
Got this message and couldn´t find a hint in this thread. Anything that can be fixed here?

java.sql.SQLException: S1000 General error java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "laude""" in statement [
SET TABLE WITPAIRCRAFT SOURCE "WITPair.csv;ignore_first=true"]

(in reply to eloso)
Post #: 233
RE: V0.3 released - 12/14/2006 7:23:43 PM   
VSWG

quote:

ORIGINAL: Likendeeler

Great tool and it´s working for most of my saves. But not for my own PBEM-scen (probably my own fault) .
Got this message and couldn´t find a hint in this thread. Anything that can be fixed here?

java.sql.SQLException: S1000 General error java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "laude""" in statement [

Could it be that the Claude is missing the 'C' in your scenario? Just a wild guess...

(in reply to Likendeeler)
Post #: 234
RE: V0.3 released - 12/14/2006 9:12:44 PM   
Rainer

Hallo Herr Baumeister,
works beautifully for the Allies against AI Japanese (Scen 15, no mods, Game Date June 4, 1943).
The setup now is a breeze, so everyone hesitating because of the seemingly fuzzy setup of past versions should now join.
Woos has done a great job, me thinks :)

One minor detail. Under "Inconsistencies" three ships are listed which actually do not (yet?) exist in the game: 594K, LCI-66 and Token. The ships are listed to have "none" or "foreign" leaders because of the leader bug.
Actually, I was surprised to see only three occurrences of this.

Thanks so much for this beautiful tool (and the GREAT potential within!) and
Frohe Weihnachten

Cheers
Rainer

(in reply to Woos)
Post #: 235
RE: V0.3 released - 12/14/2006 10:47:10 PM   
Likendeeler

Good guess!
The C wasn´t missing but I was using quotation marks for the nicknames ("Claude") and forgot computers didn´t like them.
Never had problems with them during the game.
Thank you, I really couldn´t imagine what "laude""" meant
It´s working now.

(in reply to VSWG)
Post #: 236
RE: V0.3 released - 12/15/2006 12:59:29 AM   
Woos

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rainer
One minor detail. Under "Inconsistencies" three ships are listed which actually do not (yet?) exist in the game: 594K, LCI-66 and Token. The ships are listed to have "none" or "foreign" leaders because of the leader bug.
Actually, I was surprised to see only three occurrences of this.

That's WAD. Since those ships might become problems when being ready, they are already in the list. Of course if the popular opinion is to not have non-ready ships in the Inconsistency list, that's just about 20 characters to add to the programm (but you will continue to have them in pop-up requesters). And you are already the second one to complain.

quote:

Likendeeler

And VSWG continues to solve most support request before I even reach the computer.
As background information: That error indicates that HSQLDB is not able to parse the .csv file mentioned. As you already found out, it is a bit picky about the .csv format. Nothing I can nor intend to change. As long as you don't hand-edit the .csv files everything should be fine.

(in reply to Rainer)
Post #: 237
RE: V0.3 released - 12/15/2006 1:25:03 AM   
VSWG

I guess it cannot hurt to earn some brownie points before we enter the 'feature request phase'. 

There will be a 'feature request phase', right? Right?!

(in reply to Woos)
Post #: 238
RE: V0.3 released - 12/15/2006 5:13:09 AM   
FeurerKrieg

Okay, I'm still trying to get my 'main' game to load. I have been able to load my CHS 160 as well as my 3x3 PBEM. But this last is eluding me.

First it wouldn't load because the oil and resources had turned into factories producing invalid items (devices that are normally created with Armament points). So first, thank you Woos, your utility found that error. Then wonderful Matrix guys fixed my save file so that oil and resources were back at Anshan.

Now I get this error, my guess is it is something in the game that maybe I can fix, similar to RAM's preparation thing, except it has something to do with leaders maybe?

Couldn't write things to the DB due to

java.sql.SQLException: Integrity constraint violation - no parent LeadersCommandAbilityMustExist table: CommandTypes
at org.hsqldb.jdbc.Util.sqlException(Unknown Source)
at org.hsqldb.jdbc.jdbcStatement.fetchResult(Unknown Source)
at org.hsqldb.jdbc.jdbcStatement.executeUpdate(Unknown Source)
at de.retsiemuab.witpDecoder.aW.a(Unknown Source)
at de.retsiemuab.witpDecoder.at.a(Unknown Source)
at de.retsiemuab.witpDecoder.ae.a(Unknown Source)
at de.retsiemuab.witpDecoder.ba.run(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.swt.custom.BusyIndicator.showWhile(BusyIndicator.java:67)
at de.retsiemuab.witpDecoder.s.a(Unknown Source)
at de.retsiemuab.witpDecoder.b.widgetSelected(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.TypedListener.handleEvent(TypedListener.java:90)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:66)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:928)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:3348)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:2968)
at de.retsiemuab.witpDecoder.F.a(Unknown Source)
at de.retsiemuab.witpDecoder.Main.a(Unknown Source)
at de.retsiemuab.witpDecoder.Main.main(Unknown Source)

Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks

(in reply to VSWG)
Post #: 239
RE: V0.3 released - 12/15/2006 5:48:46 AM   
jcjordan

Markus fixed the 5in rocket problem & program now runs but I've now got the same problem in post #165 yet if I load scenario into editor it's correct & the error shouldn't occur.
One minor thing I've also noticed is that when I change something in the WITP database editor it shows my changes but when decoder exports it the changes aren't there & it's reverted back to the old data??? I can manually export the data files with witpload & make the changes then import it back & they're fine & redo decoder. It's like for some reason the WITP DB Editor no longer has authority to change things even though I save it when done...scratching my head on that one

(in reply to FeurerKrieg)
Post #: 240
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> V0.3 released Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI