Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: V0.3 released

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: V0.3 released Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: V0.3 released - 12/15/2006 9:40:53 AM   
Woos

Jeff, could you more exactly describe the sequence of things you do and where things revert back to what instead of what. Currently I'm a bit confused by your description.

BTW, if you mean that you do not see changes you did with the game editor in witpdecoder, you have to keep in mind that wiptdecoder reads many things during database initialization and never changes them. So you might need to force it to reinitialize by deleting all the witp.* files.

(in reply to jcjordan)
Post #: 241
RE: V0.3 released - 12/15/2006 10:42:00 AM   
Ron Saueracker

I'm tempted to try this...how complicated is it for laynen?

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to Woos)
Post #: 242
RE: V0.3 released - 12/15/2006 1:52:41 PM   
Likendeeler

Here´s another little problem:

- The map shows the right location so I will find them but every single LCU is shown as currently "on ship".
- I can query all of my leaders but there´s no information shown were they are assigned at the moment. Would be useful.

(in reply to Woos)
Post #: 243
RE: V0.3 released - 12/15/2006 4:55:46 PM   
qgaliana

Hi Woos,

Works pretty well. Here's some comments if you're looking for suggestions. Stuff I use as allies, but may be good for japanese:

1) LCU tab - handy, very nice - maybe a switch to include units that are already at the base as well? It would help when planning from the decoder.
2) Ship upgrades - extremely useful - add closest SY port to ship description (ok it's gilding I know where the SYs are but still)?
3) Leaders - yeah I know, sounds like there are some issues, but... Any chance of adding some sorting or querying by rank? It seems to factor into the decision of what can lead. Subs are a good example. I can query good naval skill and aggression, but the tool won't tell me which are the useable CDR/LCDRs.

(in reply to Likendeeler)
Post #: 244
RE: New tool: WitpDecoder; No more spreadsheets! - 12/15/2006 6:24:11 PM   
6971grunt

quote:

ORIGINAL: Woos

*cough* CHS needs 5 levels of reordering for the aircraft classes. *cough*
OK, now aircraft classes are read in in a way which allows arbitrary levels of reordering (and uses quite a bit more time than before). So scenario designers can ignore the above request.

Also there seems to be another problem with CHS or with WitP. In a first turn save with no actions done, the captain assigned to the Shinano (leaderID=6720) has vanished from the save file although Shinano still references him. In the .csv files generated by witpload everything looks normal. Looks like a WitP bug to me. Further inquiries on the circumstanced of that bug (version, etc.) to Helpless. WitpDecoder is now working around such things also and assigns Mr. "I.ComeFromUsnavy" also to ships/TFs/LCUs which have no existing leader.

And now for the good news. An update to witpDecoder is available from http://extweb.retsiemuab.de/witp/witpDecoder2.jar . Overwrite the existing jar with it. "Complex" passwords should work now as well as CHS and leaderbug-infected games. A full .zip release (with new version number, the above still claims to be V0.1) will be done, once Ship History is working and the documentation is a bit updated. Then I will probably have to go for support of Allies if I want to avoid to be tared and feathered. So JFB, relish the next ca. 2 weeks where only you have the tool ;-)

Other questions:

• Yes, no password, no game access.
  • It runs everywhere (OK, maybe not everywhere, SWT seems to have some minor problems on MacOS X).
  • Instead of using the predefined "best suited for XXXX" categories of WitP (which IMHO are not very useful) you can query Leaders according to your preferences with the "good at" Query.
  • I don't understand the "Does this work for commander [i.e., Admiral to LCmdr]" question.
  • The fine print? Ah, you mean the contract to be signed with your blood requiring you to say "Java good! C## bad!" everytime you start the tool? And on Sundays of course an additional "Linux good! Windows bad!" might be in order ;-)

The question about "Commanders" [i.e., Admirals to LCmdr] is in reference to the need for a Lt or LComdr for say an ASW TF of DDs and PCs. One would certainly not want an admiral commanding but you may want a competent and aggressive surface commander of a lesser rank. Hope this has be clarified - then again maybe not.

An additional question - is this tool downloaded right into WiTP and accessible from within the game itself ?[thus how do I find it?] or do I have to do or go to something else outside the game. I know this question may sound basic [i.e., stupid] but, I'm not a programer and have limited knowledge of computers [just enough to be dangerous].

Still this is really appears to be a very useful tool - thanks for your effort.

< Message edited by grunt6971 -- 12/15/2006 6:47:41 PM >

"Over?! It's not over until we say it's over. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!" John Blutarsky from the Movie "Animal House"

(in reply to Woos)
Post #: 245
RE: V0.3 released - 12/15/2006 6:45:18 PM   
Rainer

Not meant to be read as a "complain" :)
Could ships not yet in existance be marked somehow so players don't have to search in vain?
Cheers
Rainer

(in reply to Woos)
Post #: 246
RE: V0.3 released - 12/16/2006 1:15:56 AM   
jcjordan

Markus here's what happens -
I delete all the old witpload csv files from scen folder as well as witpdecoder files so totally clean start like I just put decoder on pc. I load scen into witp db editor change any device to say have X number of items in pool whereas before it had Y & it shows it has X in the editor, then save or save as (problem happens either way)& exit editor. I can then reload the scen in the editor & it will show that the device has X in pool so looks liek change was taken. I then start a new game & play a turn & then go to the pools & my change isn't there, it will show that it has Y in the pool. I then export the scen using witpload & it shows that the device has Y even after I've gone into the editor & set it to X. I edit the csv files to show X & import them back to the data files. I then can load it into the editor or play a game turn & the pool will show X in pool. So in essence I'm only able to make changes to the scen with the csv files not through the editor even though they show the changes it just seems to not show up in the data files when I start a new game with the scen & that's what's got me scratching my head as used to not be this way I could make changes either way using the same slot I've been using all along (slot28)???

(in reply to Woos)
Post #: 247
RE: V0.3 released - 12/16/2006 1:53:19 AM   
VSWG

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcjordan

I delete all the old witpload csv files from scen folder as well as witpdecoder files so totally clean start like I just put decoder on pc. I load scen into witp db editor change any device to say have X number of items in pool whereas before it had Y & it shows it has X in the editor, then save or save as (problem happens either way)& exit editor. I can then reload the scen in the editor & it will show that the device has X in pool so looks liek change was taken. I then start a new game & play a turn & then go to the pools & my change isn't there, it will show that it has Y in the pool. I then export the scen using witpload & it shows that the device has Y even after I've gone into the editor & set it to X. I edit the csv files to show X & import them back to the data files. I then can load it into the editor or play a game turn & the pool will show X in pool. So in essence I'm only able to make changes to the scen with the csv files not through the editor even though they show the changes it just seems to not show up in the data files when I start a new game with the scen & that's what's got me scratching my head as used to not be this way I could make changes either way using the same slot I've been using all along (slot28)???

Sounds really strange. You might want to try to edit the files with this editor:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1263507

This editor is much better anyway, so even if it doesn't solve your problem you might want to keep it.

(in reply to jcjordan)
Post #: 248
RE: V0.3 released - 12/16/2006 5:44:25 AM   
treespider

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcjordan

I believe the Scenarios in slots 1-15 are not editable if that is what is taking place. You would first need to copy the Scenario file to a higher number before making changes and saving as a new file in the higher scenario slot.

Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910

(in reply to jcjordan)
Post #: 249
RE: V0.3 released - 12/16/2006 7:18:14 AM   
Procrustes

Woos - Thank you, thank you, thank you! This is really cool. (I found my 1st Australian Division was commanded by I.MAompletelyLostBanzai - "Staff Officer" in the game. Stats are 0-0-0....)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker
I'm tempted to try this...how complicated is it for laynen?

I don't think you will find it complicated. There is a PDF readme file that has some clear instructions - just a couple of steps.

(in reply to Ron Saueracker)
Post #: 250
RE: V0.3 released - 12/16/2006 12:43:05 PM   
Woos

quote:

ORIGINAL: Likendeeler
- The map shows the right location so I will find them but every single LCU is shown as currently "on ship".
- I can query all of my leaders but there´s no information shown were they are assigned at the moment. Would be useful.

All LCUs on ship is a known problem if you downloaded V0.3 on 10th or 11th of December. Fixed afterwards. Also that Air leaders have no assignment shown is known and caused by the fact that aircraft and aircraft groups are not in. Maybe I should mention the latter in the docs.

@qgaliana
Leader rank shouldn't be too difficult to include and it would probably finally solve the problem that leaders are shown in witpdecoder but are not available in WitP. Do you know which rank "ranges" exist (e.g. you already mentioned [CDR;LCDR] for subs)?
The other proposals will not be done soon (or ever). For the LCU thing I have a different idea and the nearest shipyard display suffers from the problem that witpdecoder does not contain any path finding so results could be misleading. But there are nice planning maps on Spooky's with Shipyards graphically shown.

@Rainer
OK, that's easy to do. Not yet available ships/LCUs without a leader will be marked "(NYA)" in the next version.

@jcjordan
That's definitely not a witpdecoder problem. Others have already pointed out possible reasons.

quote:

VSWG
There will be a 'feature request phase', right? Right?!

Well, as you can see as long as a requested feature is easy to do (or better than any idea I still have) it has already a chance of getting included.

All other questions are IMHO answered in the docs.

(in reply to Likendeeler)
Post #: 251
RE: V0.3 released - 12/16/2006 2:07:45 PM   
VSWG

quote:

quote:

VSWG
There will be a 'feature request phase', right? Right?!

Well, as you can see as long as a requested feature is easy to do (or better than any idea I still have) it has already a chance of getting included.

All other questions are IMHO answered in the docs.

Hi Woos,

I have lots of ideas regarding this utility, but I can't help you implement them, so I've refrained from asking. However I could do most of the stuff myself if I could access the data in my excel-files... So the one feature I want to request - and I don't know if it his easy to do or not - is:

Would it be possible add an 'Export Data' button, that dumps the entire data of a savegame - LCUs, squadrons, ships... - into .csv files? Basically what WitPLoad does with a scenario file, just for a savegame, in the same format? For PBEMs this would exclude enemy data, of course.

The possibilities would be endless... No more tedious work to keek the WitPLoad-files up to date, no more manual trackkeeping of ships and LCUs, and finally an easy way to export the randomized arrival dates of games started with "various reinforcements".

EDIT: Of course it would be even better if WitPDecoder itself could handle this spreadsheet/database, but I guess this would be more complicated.

< Message edited by VSWG -- 12/16/2006 2:17:17 PM >

(in reply to Woos)
Post #: 252
RE: V0.3 released - 12/16/2006 7:40:09 PM   
BB57

I get the same message as Feurer Krieg in post 239.  It is a PBEM game started long ago and updated many times, it is now 1.804, senario 15.    I'm allies, Japan gets the same message.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Would it be practical for those that are good at it to post their cluster files at Spookes or RougeUSMC's sites???

(in reply to VSWG)
Post #: 253
RE: V0.3 released - 12/16/2006 8:45:40 PM   
FeurerKrieg

I intend to send any clusters I make to Woos, I think his plan is to include them in the download package. But I can send them to Spooky/Rogue as well.

I have one for scen 15 built, but I haven't been able to test it yet due to the above. Plus, I'm not sure if it would be so useful since it is based on my current situation in game, not the turn 1, Dec 7th, 1941 situtaion.

I have just started a CHS 160 game, and it loads fine into the decoder, so I'm going to work on that cluster very soon.

Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks

(in reply to BB57)
Post #: 254
RE: V0.3 released - 12/17/2006 8:16:42 AM   
Top Cat

Fantastic utility!

From what I can see aircraft being researched count against engine use. Any way of excluding these planes?

Love the industry cluster tab, great for planning shipping to various regions.

Cheers
Top Cat

Attachment (1)

(in reply to FeurerKrieg)
Post #: 255
RE: V0.3 released - 12/17/2006 8:19:37 AM   
Top Cat

I'm looking at including all my resource areas to plan shipping.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Top Cat)
Post #: 256
RE: V0.3 released - 12/17/2006 1:25:06 PM   
Woos

quote:

ORIGINAL: VSWG
Would it be possible add an 'Export Data' button, that dumps the entire data of a savegame - LCUs, squadrons, ships... - into .csv files? Basically what WitPLoad does with a scenario file, just for a savegame, in the same format? For PBEMs this would exclude enemy data, of course.

Moderately easy (as long as it is not the entire savegame but only the parts already read into witpdecoder) but a lot of work.
witpDecoder uses HSQLDB which provides the ability to store things into .csv files (see on their website). Thus one "only" has to write a lot of SQL statements to define the csv formats and dump the database into the files while shifting things around a bit (the DB is probably somewhere between second normal form and BNF and that's not optimal for .csv files). Any volunteers? A little Java knowledge and some SQL knowledge probably necessary. I can provide the files containing the database definition and DB abstraction.
Otherwise it is quite low on my agenda due to the work involved and the fact that I intend to continue changing the DB format to enable new features. And doing the above would force me to edit two database definitions (the SQL one and the csv one).

quote:

BB57
I get the same message as Feurer Krieg in post 239.

I didn't yet get a savegame showing the problem from Feurer (or "from Krieg"?). Possibly I forgot to request some. If any one of you sends me savegame + csv files + password (if necessary) + side you played I can have a look.

quote:

Top Cat
From what I can see aircraft being researched count against engine use. Any way of excluding these planes?

Will be done in the future once aircraft data/groups are analysed by witpdecoder too. BTW is there any common agreement on whether engines and/or HI is used by aircraft research.

< Message edited by Woos -- 12/17/2006 1:36:35 PM >

(in reply to VSWG)
Post #: 257
RE: V0.3 released - 12/17/2006 2:24:41 PM   
VSWG

quote:

quote:

Moderately easy (as long as it is not the entire savegame but only the parts already read into witpdecoder) but a lot of work.
witpDecoder uses HSQLDB which provides the ability to store things into .csv files (see on their website). Thus one "only" has to write a lot of SQL statements to define the csv formats and dump the database into the files while shifting things around a bit (the DB is probably somewhere between second normal form and BNF and that's not optimal for .csv files). Any volunteers? A little Java knowledge and some SQL knowledge probably necessary. I can provide the files containing the database definition and DB abstraction.
Otherwise it is quite low on my agenda due to the work involved and the fact that I intend to continue changing the DB format to enable new features. And doing the above would force me to edit two database definitions (the SQL one and the csv one).

I would love to help, but I don't even know what 'SQL' and 'HSQLDB' stand for... Thanks for considering it, I'll probably PM you with some smaller suggestions.

quote:

BTW is there any common agreement on whether engines and/or HI is used by aircraft research.

A quick forum search has revealed the following answer:

No.

(in reply to Woos)
Post #: 258
RE: V0.3 released - 12/17/2006 3:38:58 PM   
Nemo121

Aircraft research does NOT use HI, engines or supply once you've built the research factories ( of course it uses HI to create those factories). I've tested this in a scrubbed scenario ( blank map into which you can put 1,000,000 HI, supply, oil, resources etc on an isolated island along with whatever permutation of factories/production you want to test.

BTW, can someone point me to the necessary links for the latest version of this tool and java? I'd be interested in seeing if it can handle my mod.

(in reply to VSWG)
Post #: 259
RE: V0.3 released - 12/17/2006 3:49:25 PM   
ny59giants

quote:

BTW, can someone point me to the necessary links for the latest version of this tool and java? I'd be interested in seeing if it can handle my mod.

It is on the first page of this thread and Woos updates it when he makes changes to the Utility.

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 260
RE: V0.3 released - 12/17/2006 4:07:35 PM   
Nemo121

Thanks. I wasn't sure if they were the most current.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 261
RE: V0.3 released - 12/17/2006 4:50:03 PM   
invernomuto

Hi woos, I love your utility

Does anyone has clusters.cvs and clusterbases.cvs for CHS scenario 157?

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 262
RE: New tool: WitpDecoder; No more spreadsheets! - 12/17/2006 5:03:19 PM   
Nemo121

I seem to be having some problems getting it to work.

Below is the error log generated... I've looked at it and I can see that there's an extra quotation mark around MG.... If that's the problem how do I fix that?

If not, then what is?

Attachment (1)

Post #: 263
RE: New tool: WitpDecoder; No more spreadsheets! - 12/17/2006 5:23:36 PM   
VSWG

You're using quotation marks in your device table? Likendeeler had the same error message in the aircraft table, and removing them solved the problem.

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL:  Likendeeler

Great tool and it´s working for most of my saves. But not for my own PBEM-scen (probably my own fault) .
Got this message and couldn´t find a hint in this thread. Anything that can be fixed here?

Could not create or initialize the database
java.sql.SQLException: S1000 General error java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "laude""" in statement [
SET TABLE WITPAIRCRAFT SOURCE "WITPair.csv;ignore_first=true"]

Could it be that the Claude is missing the 'C' in your scenario? Just a wild guess...

quote:

ORIGINAL:  Likendeeler

Good guess!
The C wasn´t missing but I was using quotation marks for the nicknames ("Claude") and forgot computers didn´t like them.
Never had problems with them during the game.
Thank you, I really couldn´t imagine what "laude""" meant
It´s working now.

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 264
RE: New tool: WitpDecoder; No more spreadsheets! - 12/17/2006 6:15:34 PM   
Nemo121

VSWG,

No, that's the problem I don't have quotation marks anywhere that I can see. I have no idea where they've come from.

(in reply to VSWG)
Post #: 265
RE: V0.3 released - 12/17/2006 8:25:34 PM   
FeurerKrieg

quote:

I didn't yet get a savegame showing the problem from Feurer (or "from Krieg"?). Possibly I forgot to request some. If any one of you sends me savegame + csv files + password (if necessary) + side you played I can have a look.

I sent the file back on the 14th. I'll try resending it.

(in reply to Woos)
Post #: 266
RE: V0.3 released - 12/18/2006 5:59:25 AM   
Top Cat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nemo121

Aircraft research does NOT use HI, engines or supply once you've built the research factories ( of course it uses HI to create those factories). I've tested this in a scrubbed scenario ( blank map into which you can put 1,000,000 HI, supply, oil, resources etc on an isolated island along with whatever permutation of factories/production you want to test.

Yes,I know. What I meant was that this utility DOES seem to count aircraft researched in the engines used column. So it would be good if they can be filtered out.

But, tis a great tool regardless!!

Cheers
Top Cat

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 267
RE: V0.3 released - 12/18/2006 10:16:38 PM   
Woos

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feurer Krieg
I sent the file back on the 14th. I'll try resending it.

Found both messages in the spam folder. I can't really complain about the inability of the filter to recognize valid e-mail since the content is as follows:
quote:

This message has been processed by Symantec's AntiVirus Technology.

witp004.pws was not scanned for viruses because it is too large.

For more information on antivirus tips and technology, visit
http://ses.symantec.com/

Maybe a protection mechanism of comcast against it own customers?
The real message is then an attachement and the attachment to this attachment (the .zip file) can not be opened (at least not by Thunderbird).

BB57 you said you had the same problem. But I'm a bit confused about your description:
quote:

It is a PBEM game started long ago and updated many times, it is now 1.804, senario 15. I'm allies, Japan gets the same message.
If you load the games as Japan without the password, you should be getting some different message. If you load the save game as Allies and then try to open witpDecoder as Japan you
a) Are out of support
b) Will not learn anything new
c) Are nearing the border of the usage license you have (see end of doc). Next step may be fatal.

quote:

Nemo121
No, that's the problem I don't have quotation marks anywhere that I can see. I have no idea where they've come from.

Well, according to the error message somewhere in WITPdev.csv you have the string MG. And around this string, most probably before it (can be several characters before it but same line) you have a character which brings the csv parser out of sync. It most probably is one of the following " ' , ; \ but every umlaut is a suspect too. I can't help you any more since csv parsing functionality is within HSQLDB. The only way to find the error is looking at the .csv file in question.

Post #: 268
RE: V0.3 released - 12/18/2006 10:58:54 PM   
FeurerKrieg

Interesting Woos. I'll try sending from a different host today or tomorrow.

(in reply to Woos)
Post #: 269
RE: V0.3 released - 12/18/2006 11:22:49 PM   
BB57

Let me restate that my opponent gets the same message.

Post #: 270
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: V0.3 released Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI