Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Questions on HQ's

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Questions on HQ's Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Questions on HQ's - 11/19/2006 10:23:36 PM   
CarnageINC

I have some questions on HQ's and how to use them. I'll use the SW theater as an example. My SW Pac HQ is based in Brisbane, I've changed over some New Guinea bases under thier command. My II Corps HQ is based in Port Morsby and I'm trying to defend Buna. Units for Buna are under SW Pac command also. Should I have both my HQ's future objective set to Buna or just my SW Pac HQ set to support Port Morsby and II Corps set for Buna? I'm not sure how to use this setting.

Another question, I would guess that having your HQ's as close to the front would be better, but how does distance effect your HQ's support?

Last question is about commanders of HQ's. Would it be best to have a high admin rating over land rating if the HQ is not at the front...like the situation I described eariler?

Here is a pre-emptive "thanks for your help"...hehe
Post #: 1
RE: Questions on HQ's - 11/19/2006 11:41:40 PM   
VSWG

1. Both HQs prepping for Buna would be ideal. But SWPac might be out of range, maybe move it further north?

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Manual, 8.1.1

Command - Help in several ways. They help in giving a bonus to ground combat. If no
Corps HQ is in range of a ground unit, the Command HQ can give a bonus like a Corps
HQ if it is in range of a ground unit. If there is a Corps HQ within range of the battle, and
the Command HQ is within 2 times its command range of the battle
, it can add up to an
additional 90% bonus to the Assault Value of an attacking force for odds calculations.
The bonuses are impacted by the leaderships rating of the commander of the HQs.
Command HQs are also important for air replacements and upgrades (see those
sections for details).

2. HQ's give combat boni if they are within range. Distance doesn't matter AFAIK. Keep in mind that that you have to substract 1 from the range as shown in the HQ screen to have the range in hexes. Range=4 means that this HQ supports LCUs 3 hexes away from the HQ.

3. High admin rating for rear HQs.

You can find several threads about HQs here, section II.E:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1274014

(in reply to CarnageINC)
Post #: 2
RE: Questions on HQ's - 11/20/2006 12:11:43 AM   
VSWG

Just found this in the editor manual:

quote:

Command and Corps HQ’s impact ground combat (on defense the nearest of either type will apply, on attack, both the nearest command and corps HQ can help
out).

Never heard of it before. Interesting.

(in reply to VSWG)
Post #: 3
RE: Questions on HQ's - 11/21/2006 8:27:52 AM   
CarnageINC

Thank you for your time to answer my questions

(in reply to VSWG)
Post #: 4
RE: Questions on HQ's - 11/21/2006 2:52:26 PM   
Feinder

HQs are your friends.

Not only do they give up to a 2x bonus to your assault/defense strength, but those support squads will (round-aboutly) increase your assault strenght by about 33% as well.

Example (regardless of prep levels and additional HQ bonuses).

Most combat LCUs are under-supported by about 25%.
Your LCU has 100 attack squads, but only 75 support.
Your attack strength equals roughly your attack squads x (support squads / attack squads)
Your attack strength will be about 75 with no additional support from your HQ (an LCU by itself, without additional support, will usually attack at about 75% strength).
When you add the additional support by stacking an HQ unit, you make up the difference (having extra support squads won't increase your attack strength beyone 100%, but they do act as bullet-sponges).
Fully supported your LCU has it's full attack potential of 100, representing a 33% increase over the 75 you would have without them.

On top of that, you add bonus for the HQ, the extra supplies that it's drawing (keeps you at full attack strength), and the fact that your LCU will recover fatigue, disruption, morale, and recover squads faster.

HQs = don't attack without them!

Understanding as much as you can about ground combat goes a long way towards winning WitP. Whether it's understanding Zones of Control, or supply, or bonuses, or recovery, all of these things are working together (and against) you. Know them. Understand them. Or be the victim.

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to CarnageINC)
Post #: 5
RE: Questions on HQ's - 11/23/2006 4:40:46 PM   
CarnageINC

Thanks for info Feinder, so if my SW Pac HQ is supporting Buna from Port Morsby, how can I tell how much support is actually arriving for them? So I can plan future 'dash and drop' supply runs?

< Message edited by CarnageINC -- 11/23/2006 4:44:08 PM >

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 6
RE: Questions on HQ's - 11/23/2006 7:42:52 PM   
saj42

Support squads only help when in the same hex. The combat bonus for preparation works within the range radius for the HQ (as VSWG highlighted).

Banner by rogueusmc

(in reply to CarnageINC)
Post #: 7
RE: Questions on HQ's - 11/23/2006 9:50:32 PM   
CarnageINC

I usually (on the defensive) have base support personal on hand to meet the support demands, this should be enough to help on morale and fatigue...correct? But for combat advatages I need HQ's within range....correct? Sorry if I seem dumbfounded, just trying to max out any HQ advantages

(in reply to saj42)
Post #: 8
RE: Questions on HQ's - 11/24/2006 1:32:49 AM   
Tetsuo

Hi, does the command HQ help out units attached to other commands as well? Does it matter if the base is under a different command?

For example 27th div (centpac) sits in Sydney (AusCom) together with the I aus corps HQ (swpac) and nearest command HQ and within range is northpac. All units are planning for Sydney. Is the 27th Div eligible for full AV bonus?

Also been wondering about another thing, does the area HQ excert any positive influence on units under its command and radius despite everything else? For example will sopac HQ help a sopac unit in Nandi fight better although its located in Suva and planning for the same location?

Thanks for any info on this.

(in reply to CarnageINC)
Post #: 9
RE: Questions on HQ's - 11/24/2006 2:38:13 AM   
Xargun

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tetsuo

Hi, does the command HQ help out units attached to other commands as well? Does it matter if the base is under a different command?

For example 27th div (centpac) sits in Sydney (AusCom) together with the I aus corps HQ (swpac) and nearest command HQ and within range is northpac. All units are planning for Sydney. Is the 27th Div eligible for full AV bonus?

In respect to Support squads - they help any / all units in the same hex as the HQ - a US HQ will support an OZZIE unit just fine. As for HQ combat bonus, I believe it will only help those under its command - SWPac will only help SWPac units. Otherwise there is almost no reason to change HQs for units in the game - except for the restricted HQs.

quote:

Also been wondering about another thing, does the area HQ excert any positive influence on units under its command and radius despite everything else? For example will sopac HQ help a sopac unit in Nandi fight better although its located in Suva and planning for the same location?

Thanks for any info on this.

As long as a unit is within its HQ range (max range 9 - thus 8 hexes away) will recieve all applicable HQ bonuses.

Xargun

(in reply to Tetsuo)
Post #: 10
RE: Questions on HQ's - 11/24/2006 5:13:18 PM   
Tetsuo

Thanks Xargun.

Two more question if I may, does the command HQ have to be in a base hex to excert influence or does it just have to be within range?

Another thing Im wondering about that I mentioned, lets say swpac HQ is in Nomuea together with 6 and 7 aus divs, but as we know the base is attached to sopac. Any benefit in changing Nomuea to swpac?

I figured it would be best to keep units under same command close. It can lead to strange things though for example northpac with all those RCTs defending NZ.

(in reply to Xargun)
Post #: 11
RE: Questions on HQ's - 11/24/2006 10:31:43 PM   
Xargun

quote:

Thanks Xargun.

Two more question if I may, does the command HQ have to be in a base hex to excert influence or does it just have to be within range?

Of course you may ask more questions... Between all of the people on the forums we should be able to answer just about anything you throw at us.

As far as I know as long as the HQ is in range your units will recieve the bonus. Having an HQ at an actual base also provides bonuses for the base itself - such as pulling in more supplies, aiding naval or air units at the base [if appropriate HQ].

quote:

Another thing Im wondering about that I mentioned, lets say swpac HQ is in Nomuea together with 6 and 7 aus divs, but as we know the base is attached to sopac. Any benefit in changing Nomuea to swpac?

I figured it would be best to keep units under same command close. It can lead to strange things though for example northpac with all those RCTs defending NZ.

Changing the base to SWPac doesn't provide any more benefit to the units there that I know of - but I do know HQs affect the following for units under their command:

Replacement rate, Recovery of disable units, amount of supplies at a base

It would not surprise me if HQs affect recovery of morale / fatigue, how fast stuff is built (AF, Port, Forts) as well as other 'behind the scenes' things. So the benefit of HQs with troops (or within range) is definately there besides the extra support squads. I believe replacement of old equipment for new is increased by HQs present too... A lot of this just makes sense and comes as a gut feeling - but it would not surprise me if it works that way.

The more I play this game the more I notice little things that seem to make my units perform better - now some of these may be just a lucky roll of the die that turn, but a lot of them seem to happen more and more... After 2+ years of playing the game I am feeling I am just now 'mastering' it. The economy of Japan was easy to learn and master - its just number crunching and its all exposed to see how it works... now the rest is not..

Xargun

(in reply to Tetsuo)
Post #: 12
RE: Questions on HQ's - 11/25/2006 12:32:47 AM   
Tetsuo

Appreciate the education on HQs and their effect.

What Ive been doing is building defensive bastions around the different HQs to slow the Japanese steamroller. It has worked reasonably well in my pbems in all places except China where units are out of supply and no amount of prep helps..

Although Im still not 100% sure if corps HQ helps on both offense and defense. If I recall correctly the manual says it gives a bonus to attackers AV but Ive read in several posts that it also helps in defense. I have prepped corps HQs in different places on defense and it does seem to help, although its hard to know how much extra AV comes from unit leader rolls, forts etc

(in reply to Xargun)
Post #: 13
RE: Questions on HQ's - 11/25/2006 8:16:47 AM   
1EyedJacks

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feinder

HQs are your friends.

Not only do they give up to a 2x bonus to your assault/defense strength, but those support squads will (round-aboutly) increase your assault strenght by about 33% as well.

Example (regardless of prep levels and additional HQ bonuses).

Most combat LCUs are under-supported by about 25%.
Your LCU has 100 attack squads, but only 75 support.
Your attack strength equals roughly your attack squads x (support squads / attack squads)
Your attack strength will be about 75 with no additional support from your HQ (an LCU by itself, without additional support, will usually attack at about 75% strength).
When you add the additional support by stacking an HQ unit, you make up the difference (having extra support squads won't increase your attack strength beyone 100%, but they do act as bullet-sponges).
Fully supported your LCU has it's full attack potential of 100, representing a 33% increase over the 75 you would have without them.

On top of that, you add bonus for the HQ, the extra supplies that it's drawing (keeps you at full attack strength), and the fact that your LCU will recover fatigue, disruption, morale, and recover squads faster.

HQs = don't attack without them!

Understanding as much as you can about ground combat goes a long way towards winning WitP. Whether it's understanding Zones of Control, or supply, or bonuses, or recovery, all of these things are working together (and against) you. Know them. Understand them. Or be the victim.

-F-

If I use an aviation ENG unit with high support this works like an HQ unit but without the HQ bonus - right?

TTFN,

Mike

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 14
RE: Questions on HQ's - 11/25/2006 6:18:43 PM   
Tetsuo

It does. Convinient way to support those huge LCU stacks.

(in reply to 1EyedJacks)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Questions on HQ's Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI