Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Australia & New Zealand Map

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Australia & New Zealand Map Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Australia & New Zealand Map - 3/21/2008 1:18:16 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

Changing terrain types for later version of MWIF sounds reasonable. Beside coastal barrier reef we also have 'useless' atoll.

Yes.

quote:

If you want to change the Snowy river, the graphic does not have to be changed. Just remove the river hexside from COA. That way the CutUpBitmaps program will ignore the unwanted part of the river.

Not sure it is that simple. If I do that, it will not only remove it on the last hexside, but also on all the hex. Also I prefer not to change rivers except if strong evidences show that they are wrong, and they are a biggie. Here, I think it's neither (for the moment).

Ah, as it is drawn you are correct.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 121
RE: Australia & New Zealand Map - 3/21/2008 5:48:20 AM   
Norman42

quote:

but I'd welcome comments from as much people as possible (who know something about Rockhampton).

Not really sure on what Rockhampton's status should be, but I can say that every WW2 Pacific board game I've ever played had it shown as a port. Purely anecdotal input fwiw.

-------------

C.L.Norman

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 122
RE: Australia & New Zealand Map - 3/22/2008 4:11:43 AM   
Mike Fisher

i am not sure about the mountain hexes on the victoria river in northern australia, southwest of darwin.

the most inland mountain hex on the river should go, there are no mountains there; there are some low ranges in the next two hexes downstream, but according to my local relief map, less than 300m in height, so probably not warranting mountain hexes.

(in reply to Norman42)
Post #: 123
RE: Australia & New Zealand Map - 3/22/2008 1:00:42 PM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Fisher
i am not sure about the mountain hexes on the victoria river in northern australia, southwest of darwin.

the most inland mountain hex on the river should go, there are no mountains there; there are some low ranges in the next two hexes downstream, but according to my local relief map, less than 300m in height, so probably not warranting mountain hexes.

I have some difficulties seen which hexes you talk about. Could you just edit a part of a published screenshots with rough marks and post it to help me understand ?

(in reply to Mike Fisher)
Post #: 124
RE: Australia & New Zealand Map - 3/22/2008 1:04:45 PM   
Froonp

quote:

I'd just add that the WiF FE map has 4 mountain hexes here, and this is an area that was left as designed originaly in CWiF.
These are the King Leopold Range, that is it ?

Post #: 125
RE: Australia & New Zealand Map - 3/24/2008 7:30:40 AM   
Mike Fisher

patrice

this picture shows the hexes i mean.

i suspect they should be clear. they are not the king leopold ranges - the king leopold ranges end to the west of the ord river. the two northerly marked hexes contain the pinkerton and stokes ranges, but they probably oughtn't count as mountains, they are too low.

your call - thanks for the opportunity to comment.

mike

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 126
RE: Australia & New Zealand Map - 3/24/2008 12:18:01 PM   
Froonp

quote:

this picture shows the hexes i mean.

i suspect they should be clear. they are not the king leopold ranges - the king leopold ranges end to the west of the ord river. the two northerly marked hexes contain the pinkerton and stokes ranges, but they probably oughtn't count as mountains, they are too low.

your call - thanks for the opportunity to comment.

mike

OK, I'll do that.
Thanks for the drawing, this is what I needed.
(You can also embed pictures to the post in the forum, you're not obliged to upload them somewhere else before)

Post #: 127
RE: Australia & New Zealand Map - 5/28/2010 1:27:12 AM   
DaleKent

Hi all. :)
Long time fan of WiF from playing the board version back in Uni (93-95). I knew ADG were working on a computer version, but didn't know till today that Matrix had picked it up (totally AWESOME BTW). Looking forward to this very much as my current friends think this type of hobby is the extreme in nerdish, so I need an AI to play against.

Anyways, I was born and bred in Sale, which is east of Melbourne, and currently live/work in Melbourne. I just wanted to offer some suggestions on the map for my home-town area.

On the map I uploaded, you'll see the following:
1. The red line indicates where the railway goes, the current one is too far north. The railway terminates in Sale (an important trade port). The railway is also critical as it supplied Melbourne and Portland with coal for industry and electricity.
2. The orange line heading north-north-west from the Lakes is the Mitchell River. The current one marked Mitchell is actually the Latrobe River.
3. The Latrobe River (marked Mitchell on the map) flows into the left lake of the Lakes (I've modified the map to show its path).
4. Melbourne and the port are on the north peak of Port Phillip Bay (I've moved them to where they should be).
5. Wilson's Promontory I've marked the outline in black. The current one is too small and "leans" to the right.

Hope this helps. :)

EDIT:
I'm also not sure about the swamp hex for Lakes Entrance. Yes, Lake Reeve is swampy, but in an invasion in that area it would only trouble the invaders for a day or two. On the hex the swampy region would only inhabit the couple of mm's between the coast and the two lakes. The rest of this hex, plus the hexes west to Melbourne are extremely fertile grasslands. They are South-East Australia's dairy cattle belt. I personally would probably say the hex is 95% grasslands and 5% swamp. From the coast it's a couple hundred metres of sand dunes, then Lake Reeve which is fairly narrow (no more than 500 metres across but stretching the length of the Lakes), then the Lakes, then fertile grasslands right up to the Great Dividing Range.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by DaleKent -- 5/28/2010 1:42:00 AM >

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 128
RE: Australia & New Zealand Map - 5/28/2010 1:45:44 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: DaleKent

Long time fan of WiF from playing the board version back in Uni (93-95). I knew ADG were working on a computer version, but didn't know till today that Matrix had picked it up (totally AWESOME BTW). Looking forward to this very much as my current friends think this type of hobby is the extreme in nerdish, so I need an AI to play against.

Anyways, I was born and bred in Sale, which is east of Melbourne, and currently live/work in Melbourne. I just wanted to offer some suggestions on the map for my home-town area.

1. The red line indicates where the railway goes, the current one is too far north. The railway terminates in Sale (an important trade port). The railway is also critical as it supplied Melbourne and Portland with coal for industry and electricity.
2. The orange line heading north-north-west from the Lakes is the Mitchell River. The current one marked Mitchell is actually the Latrobe River.
3. The Latrobe River (marked Mitchell on the map) flows into the left lake of the Lakes (I've modified the map to show its path).
4. Melbourne and the port are on the north peak of Port Phillip Bay (I've moved them to where they should be).
5. Wilson's Promontory I've marked the outline in black. The current one is too small and "leans" to the right.

Welcome to the forum!

Terrain details within each hex are a bit too much to handle. Someone else commented on Melbourne and as you can tell from editing the hex, there isn't much room for compressing everything into the upper left corner. Just to let you know Australia isn't being picked on, we had a similar problem around New York City (and many other cities, as I am sure Patrice can agree). Patrice has overseen the map graphics and though he lives just outside Marseilles, that city also suffers from the lack of space for placing several icons.

The fundamental problem is that a hex represents ~90 KM across, so there is a lot that can be going on in a hex. I have assigned 25 points within each hex for placing icons (e.g., city, port, factory, resource). Those are the center, 12 outside edge o'clock positions and 12 inner o'clock positions. Only one icon can be assigned to each position and depending on the size of the icon, some positions are unavailable due to oclusion.

The rivers were all drawn freehand (by an Australia artist). My instructions to him were to not worry about precision in where the riverbeds run, but to make sure that the players could understand clearly when a river lies between two hexes.

Patrice will fix the name of the river as soon as he sees your post (thanks).

Keeping the terrain all within the one hex is probably why the SE tip is mutated - anyway, growing up on the New Jersy coast and living in Hawaii now, I know that beaches come and go.

Steve

(in reply to DaleKent)
Post #: 129
RE: Australia & New Zealand Map - 5/28/2010 1:55:49 AM   
DaleKent

Not a problem and thanks for replying.
Totally understand about the squeeze within the hexes and it does look really tight sitting there.
Just figured since everyone else was suggesting things I'd chime in too. If you (or Patrice) want other comments on Victoria just let me know.

< Message edited by DaleKent -- 5/28/2010 1:56:16 AM >

Post #: 130
RE: Australia & New Zealand Map - 5/28/2010 2:15:02 AM   
Anendrue

Welcome to the forums.

Integrity is what you do when nobody is watching.

(in reply to DaleKent)
Post #: 131
RE: Australia & New Zealand Map - 5/29/2010 11:19:37 AM   
Froonp

quote:

EDIT:
I'm also not sure about the swamp hex for Lakes Entrance. Yes, Lake Reeve is swampy, but in an invasion in that area it would only trouble the invaders for a day or two. On the hex the swampy region would only inhabit the couple of mm's between the coast and the two lakes. The rest of this hex, plus the hexes west to Melbourne are extremely fertile grasslands. They are South-East Australia's dairy cattle belt. I personally would probably say the hex is 95% grasslands and 5% swamp. From the coast it's a couple hundred metres of sand dunes, then Lake Reeve which is fairly narrow (no more than 500 metres across but stretching the length of the Lakes), then the Lakes, then fertile grasslands right up to the Great Dividing Range.

Thanks for the contribution.
As Steve said, there are things that we can't modify, and things we can.
I beleive I can do the following :

- Move the rail in 164,176 so that it is more southwards.
- Add name “Sale” at the end of the rail in 164,176.
- Rename Mitchell River as Latrobe River

You seems to mention that Sale was an important trade port.
- Do you mean that this was during WW2 ?
- Do you think that it is at least as large as Portland (4 hexes west fro Melbourne) ?
- What was sale's population during WW2 ?

(in reply to DaleKent)
Post #: 132
RE: Australia & New Zealand Map - 5/29/2010 11:28:00 AM   
Froonp

quote:

EDIT:

Well, post #21 in this thread had this :

quote:

ORIGINAL: amwild
The Lakes Entrance hex (The forest/beach hex two to the east of Melbourne) needs to be swamp for reasons I posted earlier in this thread - because the lakes extend practically the full width of the hex's beach just a few hundred metres across the dunes from the beach. I've been there and seen it, and it would be a nightmare place to stage an invasion - you'd beach your landing craft, then immediately have to cross another body of water...

So we made it Swamp. It was forest initialy.

< Message edited by Froonp -- 5/29/2010 11:29:03 AM >

(in reply to DaleKent)
Post #: 133
RE: Australia & New Zealand Map - 5/29/2010 12:29:14 PM   
DaleKent

quote:

- Do you think that it is at least as large as Portland (4 hexes west fro Melbourne) ?

Sounds awesome! Didn't expect Sale to get on the map, but thanks. :)

The Port was very important for eastern Victoria from 1890's. I wouldn't say it had any importance to the war, it was really just a trade port (canal boat traffic came up from Lakes Entrance bringing supplies and taking away meat and dairy products). Here's a nice flyer on the Port and it's history, but like I said, it shouldn't be a port in the game as it was a domestic port only. http://121.50.208.46/Wellington/discover%20Port%20of%20Sale.pdf

Portland in importance during the war would much outweigh Sale's port. An airforce base was established in Sale in 1941 for bomber command, but that's about it for war importance. The airforce base still operates as Officer and Navigation training, as well as the home of the Roulettes (airforce aerobatic squadron).

Population currently of 14,000, just under 10,000 during the war.

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 134
RE: Australia & New Zealand Map - 5/30/2010 11:32:52 AM   
Froonp

quote:

quote:

Sounds awesome! Didn't expect Sale to get on the map, but thanks. :)

The Port was very important for eastern Victoria from 1890's. I wouldn't say it had any importance to the war, it was really just a trade port (canal boat traffic came up from Lakes Entrance bringing supplies and taking away meat and dairy products). Here's a nice flyer on the Port and it's history, but like I said, it shouldn't be a port in the game as it was a domestic port only. http://121.50.208.46/Wellington/discover%20Port%20of%20Sale.pdf

Portland in importance during the war would much outweigh Sale's port. An airforce base was established in Sale in 1941 for bomber command, but that's about it for war importance. The airforce base still operates as Officer and Navigation training, as well as the home of the Roulettes (airforce aerobatic squadron).

Population currently of 14,000, just under 10,000 during the war.

Thanks. I drop the idea of making Sale a minor port, and I will simply write "Sale" at the end of the railway.

I like having names for railways end, it will allow discussions to be more easy. It is easier to say : Go to sale, rather than to say Go to the end of the railway that extends west from Melbourne.

(in reply to DaleKent)
Post #: 135
RE: Australia & New Zealand Map - 5/30/2010 6:44:03 PM   
Froonp

It looks like that now.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 136
RE: Australia & New Zealand Map - 5/30/2010 6:45:45 PM   
Froonp

quote:

What would be the name of the River south of the Murrumbidgee ?

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 137
RE: Australia & New Zealand Map - 5/30/2010 7:19:22 PM   
DaleKent

Looks good.

That river is the Murray. It runs all the way to the coast near Adelaide. It defines the State border between Victoria and New South Wales.

The railway running from Melbourne to the south-west ends at Geelong.

< Message edited by DaleKent -- 5/30/2010 7:20:28 PM >

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 138
RE: Australia & New Zealand Map - 6/13/2010 4:07:06 PM   
Froonp

quote:

Are you sure of that ?
There are reasons it does not feel right.
First, Geelong is not in that hex, it is in the hex to the NW.
Next, here is a map of this area from 1944, that seems to show some railways going to "Forrest", and another non named location.
The MWiF hex where the railway stub arrives is about inthe circled area.
So, which name should I put at the end of that railway ?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Froonp -- 6/13/2010 4:08:20 PM >

(in reply to DaleKent)
Post #: 139
RE: Australia & New Zealand Map - 6/13/2010 5:27:25 PM   
Froonp

I played around with names in the Victoria State of Australia.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 140
RE: Australia & New Zealand Map - 6/13/2010 6:31:53 PM   
Orm

quote:

I played around with names in the Victoria State of Australia.

I find it difficult to see which of the railroad crossings that are suppsed to be Ballarat. Would it be possible to place that name further to the right?

On your map it looks like the left railroad crossing might be Ararat. Perhaps replace Hamilton with Ararat?

Not that I have any idea on how it really is in this part of the world. I just look at the nice map Froonp found.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 141
RE: Australia & New Zealand Map - 6/13/2010 6:49:19 PM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm
I find it difficult to see which of the railroad crossings that are suppsed to be Ballarat. Would it be possible to place that name further to the right?

On your map it looks like the left railroad crossing might be Ararat. Perhaps replace Hamilton with Ararat?

Not that I have any idea on how it really is in this part of the world. I just look at the nice map Froonp found.

Well, in game it is easier to know what is where, because the game "knows" which hex is named Ballarat, Hamilton and Geelong.

Otherwise, for all the named locations that don't have an icon on the map, I always tryed to put them so that they are written immediately to the right of the imaginary icon that would mark the location's position, except when it would put the name in a difficult position like for Geelong here that would have been in the sea and obscuring the coastline.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 142
RE: Australia & New Zealand Map - 6/14/2010 3:11:20 AM   
BallyJ

Just a question regarding all the non game chrome on the map.
Will it be possible to diable it to make the map less clutered.

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 143
RE: Australia & New Zealand Map - 6/14/2010 4:25:16 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: BallyJ

Just a question regarding all the non game chrome on the map.
Will it be possible to diable it to make the map less clutered.

These small names that Patrice is adding do not appear unless the zoom level is 6 or higher. At zoom levels 1-5 the program automatically removes them (for the reason you gave).

Here is a little more information about drawing labels/names on the map. This is from my embedded comments in the code.
===
// Large labels (size 13 or more) are always shown. Smaller than that are not
// shown at zoom level 0. Large labels get a shadow, except at zoom level 0,
// when they are all made very large (size 30) and shown without shadows.
// If the hex has storm or blizzard, then shadows are added for labels that are
// difficult to see: during blizzard, black shadows are added for white labels
// while during storm, white labels are added for black and maroon labels.

Steve

(in reply to BallyJ)
Post #: 144
RE: Australia & New Zealand Map - 6/14/2010 5:00:43 AM   
BallyJ

Thanks for the reply Steve.
I know some people like this stuff.
From my point off view it is just clutter.
Be nice if it could be removed with a press of a button.
Keep working on that mountain.
I will be a customer when it is finished.
best regards John

Post #: 145
RE: Australia & New Zealand Map - 6/14/2010 12:21:31 PM   
DaleKent

quote:

quote:

Are you sure of that ?
There are reasons it does not feel right.
First, Geelong is not in that hex, it is in the hex to the NW.
Next, here is a map of this area from 1944, that seems to show some railways going to "Forrest", and another non named location.
The MWiF hex where the railway stub arrives is about inthe circled area.
So, which name should I put at the end of that railway ?

To be honest, I wouldn't bother with Forrest. It's a town of 120 (2006 census) that supplied timber via the rail head in those times. Railway was closed 1957. Leave it how you have it, looks good. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forrest,_Victoria

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 146
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Australia & New Zealand Map Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI