Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Manual Errors Report

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Forge of Freedom - Support >> Manual Errors Report Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Manual Errors Report - 11/30/2006 2:37:25 AM   
Gil R.

If any mistakes are found in the manual please report them here. Already, someone reported that the manual at one point claims that the Standard Scenario begins in November 1865, when it should say 1861.

EDIT: This thread was started before there was a "Support" forum (within which the thread now finds itself), and was intended for both bugs and manual errors. Now that the sub-forum exists, let's devote this thread to problems with the manual, thus giving it a new-found reason for continuing to exist. Threads need to feel wanted...

< Message edited by Gil R. -- 11/30/2006 7:35:34 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Bugs Report - 11/30/2006 2:38:35 AM   
Hard Sarge

you should slap yourself, right now

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 2
Bugs Found! - 11/30/2006 2:41:58 AM   
AU Tiger_MatrixForum

edit

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by AU Tiger -- 11/30/2006 4:22:40 AM >

"Never take counsel of your fears."

Tho. Jackson

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 3
RE: Bugs and Manual Errors Report - 11/30/2006 2:47:20 AM   
Bladesss

The default for saved games on my machine was the "my documents" directory. I think the logical place would be the safe subdirectry of the Forge of Freedom directory. Probably not a 'Bug' but a matter of preferances

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 4
RE: Bugs and Manual Errors Report - 11/30/2006 2:49:23 AM   
Gil R.

Our default for every build has been the "Save" folder in the FOF folder. Something may have happened while wrapping the installer around the game.

< Message edited by Gil R. -- 11/30/2006 2:52:30 AM >

(in reply to Bladesss)
Post #: 5
RE: Bugs and Manual Errors Report - 11/30/2006 2:52:38 AM   
Hard Sarge

I think that also maybe the installer, in my game it also changed the loc of where the save was plotted to go

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 6
RE: Bugs and Manual Errors Report - 11/30/2006 2:58:34 AM   
Bladesss

I am reading the manual and will post what I find. I will edit this post as I find more

Pg 13 Mangled title in the center of the page says something like ROTC Updates

Pg 19 "Scenario – The standard scenario begins in November, 1865. You may also select a Bull Run/Manassas scenario, which begins with fewer forces and different initial positions." probably should be 1861

Pg 21 "Provinces – The map is divided into nations (United States of America, or USA; Confederate States of America, or CSA; Canada; and, “Indian Territory”), which in turn are divided into more than 250 provinces. The USA and CSA are also divided into states, each of which is a collection of provinces." Probably should mention neutral states and Canada

Pg 23 "Province and State Borders – Province borders are small colored lines, and state borders are thicker, darker lines. Each is colored with the color of the controlling nation: blue for USA, and red for CSA." And yellow for Neutral

Pg 27 "Sometimes the container will be fill, in which case you will receive a pop-up prompt
telling you this, and you can simply close the prompt pop-up and issue a different move-order." fill is probably full

Pg 29 (Below illustration) "D. CSA-controlled province blocks rail movement" and
"A player can move through enemy territory by rail-move, provided such movement is not blocked by enemy units."
seem to contradict each other. In the illustration the (river) provence does not show any military units, and by the 2nd quote, should not block rail movement. There might be some (off map ) CSA units in the river provence that are blocking the rail movement or maybe river provences are an exception to the 2nd quote??

Pg 36 "H. Unit Orders" should be unit honors according to the game.

Pg 36 The figure contains an letter K and L that do not have a legend entry.

Pg 38 the illustation had letters I, J, and K on it
The ledend says I is the Flag, but it is next to an orders box
J and K do not have a legend entry

Pg 39 "Plundering can be done in any enemy province containing a city. Each brigade in a military group with an order to plunder has a chance to destroy a development in the city being plundered. Plundering cannot be done if the enemy controls any forts in the province."
I think is it possible for one side to own a provence and the other side to own a city in the provence. This text seems to say you can punder a city the enemy still occupies. ? If your troops start in the provence and you own the city, it would be a friendly provence i think. So for it to be an enemy provence that your troops start it, the enemy still have to have troops in the city i think. So how can you plunder the city the enemy still occupies?

Pg 41 "A. Strength Not Displayed for Fleets"
Pg 42 "Strength – Shows the total ship Strength for the fleet."
these seem to contadict each other.

Pg 44 "TIP: Don’t forget that forts can be effective in slowing Rail movement."
Two other places in the rules say that forts block rail movement. Maybe slow here should be block?

pg 51 "and Raider units have a chance to block Rail Movement as though they
were a brigade, but only have a 50% chance of doing so."
pg 54 "each turn that a Partisan or Raiders unit spends in a province where
a railroad line is located, it has a 33% chance to block any rail movement"
seek to contradict each or , is it 50% or 33%

Pg 59 illustration lists the siege options including a choise "Attack the Fort"
But Pg 60 explaining all th siege options does not mention that one?

Pg 44 "Units in a fort participate in any battles in the province. They do not retreat to a nearby province if the battle is lost, but instead retreat back into the fort."
Pg 63 "However, if the player loses the combat, they will retreat from the province with his other forces, abandoning the city or fort they came from."
These to be saying the opposite thing about an important point.

Pg 71 "2.4 Deal Damage
The infantry and cavalry units making a salvo inflict damage to the enemy’s Strength
equal to its result from step 2.4,"
I think the reference to 2.4 is suppose to be to 2.3

Pg 71 "2.5 Rout Check
The defender’s unit must make a check against its Quality, or be driven to the Routed
zone, if any of the following apply:"
As it reads, the attacker never checks for rout. Maybe I dont understand the quick combat system but that would not make sence. This cound be just poor terminalogy, maybe it is trying to say the unit in the defence zone, or maybe it is trying to say the target of the salvo, but my reading is that the strategic defender (only) checks for rout
Pg 67 "The Charge area is good for high-Quality units, since they have a better chance
to avoid being routed;"
could be talking about the defenders troops, but seems to imply that attackers can be routed

Pg 78 "When a province builds a military unit it loses one or more Men."
Some military units cost 0 men

Pg 79 "Allows ships to be built and repained,"
spelling- repaired

Pg 80 Costs- Capital
There are no listed restrictions on construting a capital. Can any city get a capital building. If you dont own the official state capital can you build a capital in a city you do own. Or is this only if your official state capitial buiulding gets destroyed. Does this imply that if the state capital building gets destoyed that you cannot produce anything else in the state until the capital building is rebuild first.

pg 83 "Beside this button are eight smaller buttons, each for a different category of unit (cities, forts, groups, ships, infantry, cavalry, and artillery)."
The eighth button is Generals i think.

Pg 96 "2 VP to USA if any of the following hold:"
This seems to read that you can only get this victory contition once. So blackades and owning the Mississippi both, dont give 4 vp. Just making sure that is the intent.

Pg 124 & 125 both have the same illustration. I think the intended illustration for page 125 got replaced by the illustration of page 124.

Pg 129 "O. Surrender UnitP. Wait"
missing a tab in the formating

Pg 131 "Units (in the Intermediate Game, only Legendary Units) that have the Diggers special ability can make entrenchments."
Pg 131 "The base chance of entrenching successfully is 25%. Fresh units have a 25% bonus; fatigued units have a 25% penalty. The Hasty Entrenchment II upgrade adds a 25% bonus, and the Diggers special ability provides a 25% bonus as well."
Isn't it redundent to give digger units a +25% modifier to entrench when only digger units can entrench in the first place.

Pg 138 "Supply and Artillery are slow
• Infantry are normal, but modified by Morale
• Cavalry are fast."
Grammer, Should be Infantry is normal, Cavalry is fast. unless you are from deep in the Confederacy, Infantry and Cavalry can be plural, but in this case are singular ?

Pg 139
Chart >> "Infantry in Line Formation 4 + maximum Morale*"
Test >> "Infantry in line formation have a movement rate of 8 with a bonus equal to their maximum Morale. For example, an infantry brigade that started the battle with a 5.3 Morale will have a movement rate of 13 when in Line formation."
The chart and the test below it do not agree. If the test is right, then some inf in line can have better movement the Cav

Pg 162 "The Forage value of each province is included on its control box at the strategic level, and indicates the number of brigades that the province can supply by itself via forage."
"A unit that receives forage receives 2 Supply, and uses 2 levels of the province’s available forage supply."
The second sentence seems to be saying that the forage number is not the number of brigades but the number of brigades/2 that can forage?

< Message edited by Bladess -- 11/30/2006 6:53:14 PM >

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 7
RE: Bugs and Manual Errors Report - 11/30/2006 4:12:05 AM   
Bladesss

I can break the container screen.

1) I open the container for the army of the Potomec
2) I select the 2 Sie Siege Arty unit in the first army. It selects. (The mouse flyby says select info)

The manual says (pg 26)
1.5.3 de-Selecting units
"TIP: Hitting the spacebar de-selects all units."

3) I hit the space bar
I can no longer expand or close the sections of the container until i close the container and reopen it. Other things may also be broken at this point.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 8
RE: Bugs and Manual Errors Report - 11/30/2006 4:17:31 AM   
Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bladess

I can break the container screen.

1) I open the container for the army of the Potomec
2) I select the 2 Sie Siege Arty unit in the first army. It selects. (The mouse flyby says select info)

The manual says (pg 26)
1.5.3 de-Selecting units
"TIP: Hitting the spacebar de-selects all units."

3) I hit the space bar
I can no longer expand or close the sections of the container until i close the container and reopen it. Other things may also be broken at this point.

Strange. I myself never use the spacebar to deselect -- I find it much easier to find an open patch in some province (i.e., where there are no units, cities, forts, etc.) and right-click on it. To do this, you'd have to close the container (either manually or by setting it to close automatically when one moves the mouse away).

(This might seem like extra effort, but I can do all this in about a second, so it's not a big deal.)

< Message edited by Gil R. -- 11/30/2006 4:20:46 AM >

(in reply to Bladesss)
Post #: 9
RE: Bugs and Manual Errors Report - 11/30/2006 4:44:49 AM   
Mr. Z

I don't think this causes any other problems.  (FWIW, you can close the attachment box first, and then hit the space bar, to de-select the unit, though this still involves closing the attachment box.)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 10
RE: Bugs and Manual Errors Report - 11/30/2006 6:26:33 AM   
JRBIGG

Is anyone having problems with the correct province appearing after clicking it? Just started messing around and often times when i click a province it takes me to the Virginia Atlantic province???

(in reply to Mr. Z)
Post #: 11
RE: Bugs and Manual Errors Report - 11/30/2006 6:29:55 AM   
Gil R.

What exactly are you doing? Clicking on a land province? Please give more info.

(in reply to JRBIGG)
Post #: 12
RE: Bugs and Manual Errors Report - 11/30/2006 6:42:19 AM   
Gil R.

[Superfluous message deleted]

< Message edited by Gil R. -- 11/30/2006 7:36:35 PM >

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 13
RE: Bugs and Manual Errors Report - 12/1/2006 1:10:33 AM   
AU Tiger_MatrixForum

Pg. 44 Top, second para states theat units in forts participate in battles, but if the battle is lost, they retreat to the fort.

Pg. 63 Last section states the garrisons may OPT to join the battle, but if the battle is lost, they retreat with the other forces.

Tho. Jackson

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 14
RE: Bugs and Manual Errors Report - 12/1/2006 1:25:08 AM   
Twotribes

quote:

ORIGINAL: AU Tiger

Pg. 44 Top, second para states theat units in forts participate in battles, but if the battle is lost, they retreat to the fort.

Pg. 63 Last section states the garrisons may OPT to join the battle, but if the battle is lost, they retreat with the other forces.

I noticed that one also.

(in reply to AU Tiger_MatrixForum)
Post #: 15
RE: Bugs and Manual Errors Report - 12/1/2006 8:55:56 AM   
AU Tiger_MatrixForum

quote:

I have yet to run the game. Which is correct?

Tho. Jackson

Post #: 16
RE: Bugs and Manual Errors Report - 12/1/2006 9:04:10 AM   
Gil R.

I don't believe that's an error -- the second reference discusses a preference known as "Never Rally Garrison," which necessitates handling garrisons differently. If using the default setting (the one referred to on p. 44) the garrisons go back to their forts.

Eric or Mr. Z will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's the issue here.

Post #: 17
RE: Bugs and Manual Errors Report - 12/1/2006 2:59:43 PM   
AU Tiger_MatrixForum

Actually my question more specifically was do the garrisons retreat back to the fort after a lost battle, or do they retreat with with other forces to another province? The manual contradicts itself on this point.

Tho. Jackson

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 18
RE: Bugs and Manual Errors Report - 12/2/2006 2:40:25 AM   
Alan_Bernardo

Here's something.

p. 179: Section 10

"Furthermore, before a general may provide temporary use of one or more of these abilities to a unit or units under his command."

This refers to an above statement.  As it stands, the sentences lacks a main verb.  To clarify this sentence, a comma needs to be added, in which case the sentence would read:

"Furthermore, before, a general may provide temporary use of one or more of these abilities to a unit or units under his command."

But actually, when looking at the whole paragraph, it makes more sense to totally delete the word "before"--

"Furthermore, a general may provide temporary use of one of one or more of these abilities to a unit or units under his command."

That does it for that.  :)

Alan

Post #: 19
RE: Bugs and Manual Errors Report - 12/2/2006 3:28:54 AM   
Alan_Bernardo

quote:

Pg 138 "Supply and Artillery are slow
• Infantry are normal, but modified by Morale
• Cavalry are fast."
Grammer, Should be Infantry is normal, Cavalry is fast. unless you are from deep in the Confederacy, Infantry and Cavalry can be plural, but in this case are singular ?

Take a look at some of Churchill's writings (amoung others)when evaluating the grammar of singular versus plural.  Churchill was quite fond of sentences like "The government are a group of bungling fools."

Generally, the rule for group singular is that if something is to be taken conceptually as one thing and not the individual things within that one thing, then the noun is singular.  In the above, "cavalry are fast" is alright in my book, since the idea here are the individual riders and not the whole group.  The same goes with "infantry are normal". 

In essence, sometimes this kind of thing can get pretty dicey.  But when considering the general rule, I think taking the nouns as plural is the correct way to go.

Alan

(in reply to Alan_Bernardo)
Post #: 20
RE: Bugs and Manual Errors Report - 12/2/2006 3:44:54 AM   
Gil R.

Two of the three of us who were involved in manual creation have old-fashioned sensibilities when it comes to the English language, so the Churchillian parallel is not inaccurate.

(in reply to Alan_Bernardo)
Post #: 21
RE: Bugs and Manual Errors Report - 12/4/2006 1:01:13 AM   
ericbabe

quote:

quote:

Units in forts can participate automatically and do not flee.
Units in cities, if they do participate, then flee if the player loses.

Post #: 22
RE: Bugs and Manual Errors Report - 12/4/2006 1:09:46 AM   
ericbabe

Regarding the grammatical number of nouns such as "infantry" and "cavalry", the style guides we consulted indicated that these words can be considered to be either singular or plural.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 23
RE: Bugs and Manual Errors Report - 12/4/2006 10:53:02 PM   
Ironclad

Brings to mind the rather apt saying - before the Civil War the United States are after it the United States is.

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 24
RE: Bugs and Manual Errors Report - 12/5/2006 8:12:36 AM   
AU Tiger_MatrixForum

quote:

ORIGINAL: ericbabe

quote:

quote:

Units in forts can participate automatically and do not flee.
Units in cities, if they do participate, then flee if the player loses.

Thx.

Tho. Jackson

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 25
RE: Bugs and Manual Errors Report - 12/5/2006 9:28:39 PM   
elmo3

The division group limits on page 36 contradict the group limits on page 56.

Page 36 says USA divisions can have 5 brigades and CSA can have 6.
page 56 says USA divisions can have 4 brigades and CSA can have 5.

Post #: 26
RE: Bugs and Manual Errors Report - 12/7/2006 5:02:00 PM   
elmo3

Will the manual be reissued as part of a patch at some point? Thanks.

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 27
RE: Bugs and Manual Errors Report - 12/9/2006 5:44:26 PM   
Alan_Bernardo

The text on page 163 needs a slight adjustment:

"The Advanced Supply rules for reinforcement are a bit different from the normal ones. Rein-
forcements still restore Strength to depleted units, and are generate by Camp buildings, which
still produce 500 Strength of reinforcements each turn."

The word "generate" needs to be "generated".

Tiny little thing but it's still there. :)

Alanb

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 28
RE: Manual Errors Report - CAMPS - 12/22/2006 4:31:54 PM   
Jim717

The basic game rules need to be corrected as to section 2.3 page 56 and section 6.2 page 79. Section 2.3 refers to "camps" which are not available in the basic game. Section 6.2 has the city build screen which also shows camps which are unavailable.

I am a veteran wargamer, having been raised back in the day of AH board games. Upon purchase of the game, I ran the flash tutorial(which is excellant) and read the entire basic game rules section of the manual. My intention was to begin with the basic game and work my way up to the advanced game. (This is a good system for learning a new game, I believe ASL pioneered this method) After a few turns, I did not have any problem with the game mechanics, but could not figure out why I was not getting any reinforcements. I re-read the rules several times, made sure I had the materials, etc., but still could not get any camps built, or even show up under the build menu. Finally, I checked the forum postings and found a reference to this, explaining that they are unavailable in the basic game. I do not have a problem with this, but it would be very helpful to make mention of this fact in the manual, it will save someone several hours of re-reading, experimenting and searching for the answer. I would hate to see someone get frustrated to the point of giving up on an otherwise great game. I was hesitant to move up to the intermediate game until I had all the answers for the basic game.

Happily I have moved on to the intermediate game, and plan on moving to the advanced in the next day or so. I am quite pleased with the game at this point. Thanks.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 29
RE: Manual Errors Report - CAMPS - 12/22/2006 5:12:29 PM   
ericbabe

Regarding the camps, this was an oversight in the manual development, as we made Camps an advanced building after this section had been written. In the next patch, we're adding reinforcement rules for players playing without Camps (advanced buildings turned off) and will add an errata to the ReadMe file.  (It's not easy to change the manual PDF file at this point.... we may update it sometime in the future, but it's very time consuming to make even little changes to it.)

(in reply to Jim717)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Forge of Freedom - Support >> Manual Errors Report Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI