Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Wish List

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> RE: Wish List Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Wish List - 12/7/2006 12:10:40 AM   
Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: gunnergoz

How about a module where we can set up detailed battles without playiing the strategic mode at all? Just for practice or for fun? It would be a nice way to try out some battlefield scenarios too. Mainly, I'd like to practice more detailed battles to get the hang of them, without losing a war that I worked hard on the strategic side to get right.

Since that's something that would take time to produce, my advice for now is to build up your army by playing for a year or so, get in a position where you have armies/corps/divisions close to the enemy, save the game, and keep restarting from that save game, each time trying battles in different places, on different terrain, etc. It's not the same thing you propose, but simply by doing a SAVE AS from your main game you can create new game for experimenting.

(in reply to gunnergoz)
Post #: 121
RE: Wish List - 12/7/2006 12:22:57 AM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: dude

Along the lines of Generals... having it so that certain generals just weren't good at higher commands would be a nice "hidden" trait.  Sure this guy look great at the division level... let's promote him to corps commander... woops... he sucks there...  You don't have to actually have to change his traits... just a hidden value that says up to what level he's able to command... if you put him into a higher posistion his normal traits would suffer a bit... but if you put him back in charge of a lower command his normal ratings would apply again.

I'll second this. Wish I'd thought of it when I was making the other suggestion.

(in reply to dude)
Post #: 122
RE: Wish List - 12/7/2006 1:30:35 AM   
Tanaka

I thought I read in the manual that in order to dig in and entrench your unit had to have that special skill.

Does this not apply to the AI?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hard Sarge

the AI has it's own Dugin, the player needs the hasty upgrade or the digger skill
(but the AI can not dig in, other then the starting postion, with out the hasty or digger skill)

design decison, and it does what it was intended to

(one thing I do look for when I promote Generals to 3 or 2 stars is if they got the digger skill, I am willing to gamble on a poorer leader to have a chance to train in this skill)

(for me, Digger, fast, obleakfire, shooter are some of the key skills,)

(there is a great one for Arty, but I not spelling too good right now)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gil R.

Exactly. Letting the AI dig in at the beginning of a battle struck us all as a fine way of giving the AI a boost without some hidden "cheat," thus making detailed battle more challenging.

Might there be an option to turn this off in a future patch? Although I appreciate trying to make detailed battles more challenging this sort of makes them boring and repetitive. It is an AI cheat but as you said it is not hidden. I would prefer the AI to only be able to dig in the same way as I with the correct skill to do so. This would make the battles more varied and fun...

< Message edited by Tanaka -- 12/7/2006 1:45:15 AM >

(in reply to Mike Scholl)
Post #: 123
RE: Wish List - 12/7/2006 8:30:19 AM   
Roger Neilson II

quote:

ORIGINAL: gunnergoz

I definitely vote for a zoom function on the strategic map - it's really crowded around Washington and some of the river valleys are not real apparent until you're snooping around them.
Hi-Res 1280x1024 would be great too.
A que for items being built in one city would be helpful.
An option for NATO symbols on the strategic map would help clarify some things at times, and would be easy to scale up or down to show more of the underlying terrain.

The hi res or windowed mode is so so good..... I hate the current display. Why? Because I'm used to hi res, and when I tab out of the game I get low res desktop - so every time I hit a problem and I should go to the manual I don't cos it looks so awful.... so my learning style is not working. I hate to go on about WITP, but there having it in windowed mode and not affecting my desktop settings is a real bonus. Is it a major issue to give a hi-res option?

Roger

(in reply to gunnergoz)
Post #: 124
RE: Wish List - 12/7/2006 10:04:55 AM   
spruce

the 6 VP points one can win from battles should only be based on decisive battles - not on small or medium ones.

As CSA I once had a glorious turn where I had 3 decisive battle victories - I got at +6 VP and the Union at -6 VP. Then a few turns later the Union wins one decisve battle, one medium battle and one small battle - and they go to +6 and I go to -6.

Only use decisve (or major) battles here in this criterium.

(in reply to Roger Neilson II)
Post #: 125
RE: Wish List - 12/7/2006 12:18:07 PM   
Jonathan Palfrey

quote:

ORIGINAL: slybelle

Add game option to allow only instant battles. Currently only options for quick or detailed. I personally prefer just instant battles so would be great if we could have an option for it.

It would also be nice to have the popup come up and say the results of the battle right after the battle during instant battles, versus having to wait for the end of turn report.

I second that request -- and the request for more information after instant battles.

(in reply to slybelle)
Post #: 126
RE: Wish List - 12/7/2006 12:43:49 PM   
Jonathan Palfrey

As mentioned in another thread, the manual says that camps can be built in the basic game, but the basic game doesn't seem to permit it.

I can't be sure, maybe there is some good reason to keep camps out of the basic game; but without knowing that reason I'm inclined to think that this is a game bug and not a manual bug: I'd like to see camps in the basic game. As there doesn't seem to be any other mechanism for replacing casualties.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 127
RE: Wish List - 12/7/2006 1:48:25 PM   
rogeur

Don't know if this already has been asked for , but i like to
see random generals.I mean historical with the stats they have, but in a different
sequence.Makes the game more interesting i think.
If it's already there, please tell me.
I don't mean diff stats., that's already in, also nice.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 128
RE: Wish List - 12/7/2006 4:46:26 PM   
dude

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Scholl

quote:

Along the lines of Generals... having it so that certain generals just weren't good at higher commands would be a nice "hidden" trait.  Sure this guy look great at the division level... let's promote him to corps commander... woops... he sucks there...  You don't have to actually have to change his traits... just a hidden value that says up to what level he's able to command... if you put him into a higher posistion his normal traits would suffer a bit... but if you put him back in charge of a lower command his normal ratings would apply again.

I'll second this. Wish I'd thought of it when I was making the other suggestion.

Oh and to add to this... I think there should be (an optional) limit on promoting someone too fast... Hey! 1 star Grant is here... let me promote him to 5 stars now! I think every general in the army would have quit... But at the same time you should be allowed to promote more than one general a turn. When Grant came east he submitted a list of genrals he wanted promoted.

Post #: 129
RE: Wish List - 12/7/2006 6:02:09 PM   
Mike Scholl

What happens to the weapons you replace" "Improvised Weapons" obviously go on the scrap heap somewhere..., but it seem to me that if you replace "Minee Rifles" with "Improved Springfields" you outh to have a Brigade's worth of Minee Rifles to give to some poor garrison still struggling with "Improvised Weapons". That's the way it worked historically..., what happens in the game? The old arms seem to dissappear into thin air. This imposes a sever economic drain on both sides....

(in reply to dude)
Post #: 130
RE: Wish List - 12/7/2006 6:08:38 PM   
elmo3

quote:

What happens to the weapons you replace" "Improvised Weapons" obviously go on the scrap heap somewhere..., but it seem to me that if you replace "Minee Rifles" with "Improved Springfields" you outh to have a Brigade's worth of Minee Rifles to give to some poor garrison still struggling with "Improvised Weapons". That's the way it worked historically..., what happens in the game? The old arms seem to dissappear into thin air. This imposes a sever economic drain on both sides....

Not sure what really happens to them but the manual says you get a credit when you upgrade to a newer model equal to a percentage of what the old weapons cost. So maybe they are sold to the Indians?!

Post #: 131
RE: Wish List - 12/7/2006 6:13:23 PM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: elmo3

quote:

Not sure what really happens to them but the manual says you get a credit when you upgrade to a newer model equal to a percentage of what the old weapons cost. So maybe they are sold to the Indians?!

That would at least be something. Have you seen any evidence of it happening? I haven't noticed it and I just finished re-arming the entire Army of the Potomic (30 brigades) with "Improved Springfields"---My "arms recieved" totals always seemed to match my "city production" exactly.

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 132
RE: Wish List - 12/7/2006 6:13:56 PM   
dude

quote:

True... so many times I wish I could give the "hand-me-downs" to someone needy... but then the game does give you a price break on replacement weapons. I remember a game once where the weapons were kept in a stockpile that you could pick from. Then as you replaced weapons the old ones went back into the stockpile to be available for for someone else. But you wouldn't get a price break for any kind of replacement in this system. Full price for all new weapons.

I'd like to see it where you could "build" weapons... and then have them stored into a stockpile type arrangement... same for artillery.

Post #: 133
RE: Wish List - 12/7/2006 6:24:20 PM   
Mike Scholl

Another thing I'd love to see in the game is a "Production Spreadsheet" variant of the "City" sheet. One that would give a list of current active "buildings" and "units" in the game, plus what was in production and at what stage (time to completion). Plus which locations had various "bonus buildings" (like universities) in them. And the current levels of research and how many bonus buildings you "in production".

Someplace you could go to check on and handle ALL your economic decisions at one time with all the necessary information available. So I wouldn't be tripping over legal pads full of notes...

(in reply to dude)
Post #: 134
RE: Wish List - 12/7/2006 6:33:14 PM   
Jonathan Palfrey

quote:

Another thing I'd love to see in the game is a "Production Spreadsheet" variant of the "City" sheet. One that would give a list of current active "buildings" and "units" in the game, plus what was in production and at what stage (time to completion). Plus which locations had various "bonus buildings" (like universities) in them. And the current levels of research and how many bonus buildings you "in production".

Someplace you could go to check on and handle ALL your economic decisions at one time with all the necessary information available. So I wouldn't be tripping over legal pads full of notes...

Indeed, seconded. I'm just beginning with the game but have already found the need to go laboriously through the detailed city screens making notes on a piece of paper. The game is usable as it is, but the information could be more conveniently presented.

Post #: 135
RE: Wish List - 12/7/2006 7:37:28 PM   
gunnergoz

Yep, me too!  I had to lay everything out so I could decide where to produce what and in what order.   Someone with some insider experience in the game could sure help us out by writing a playing guide and reference materials!

"Things are getting better!
...Well, maybe not as good as they were yesterday, but much better than they will be tomorrow!"
-Old Russian saying

(in reply to Jonathan Palfrey)
Post #: 136
RE: Wish List - 12/7/2006 7:49:19 PM   
jimwinsor

quote:

quote:

True... so many times I wish I could give the "hand-me-downs" to someone needy... but then the game does give you a price break on replacement weapons. I remember a game once where the weapons were kept in a stockpile that you could pick from. Then as you replaced weapons the old ones went back into the stockpile to be available for for someone else. But you wouldn't get a price break for any kind of replacement in this system. Full price for all new weapons.

I'd like to see it where you could "build" weapons... and then have them stored into a stockpile type arrangement... same for artillery.

YES, there is some partial compensation involved in this situation....the "price break" just mentioned. Half the cost of the gun you are replacing goes is credited towards your new purchase...you don't get the full cost, as these are "old" arms after all.

This method was decided on as preferable to keeping detailed "stockpiles" of used weapons, as no bookkeeping is involved.

Streaming as "Grognerd" at https://www.twitch.tv/grognerd

(in reply to dude)
Post #: 137
RE: Wish List - 12/7/2006 8:04:41 PM   
dude

quote:

ORIGINAL: jimwinsor

YES, there is some partial compensation involved in this situation....the "price break" just mentioned. Half the cost of the gun you are replacing goes is credited towards your new purchase...you don't get the full cost, as these are "old" arms after all.

This method was decided on as preferable to keeping detailed "stockpiles" of used weapons, as no bookkeeping is involved.

Too bad you can't at least drag weapons from one unit to another before you upgrade (replace). Let me give this weapons to someone else. I'll pay the full cost for new ones...

But I'd still like to have the option for stockpiles. This could be an option for the advance game.

(in reply to jimwinsor)
Post #: 138
RE: Wish List - 12/7/2006 8:20:35 PM   
elmo3

quote:

quote:

quote:

That would at least be something. Have you seen any evidence of it happening? I haven't noticed it and I just finished re-arming the entire Army of the Potomic (30 brigades) with "Improved Springfields"---My "arms recieved" totals always seemed to match my "city production" exactly.

I have not looked to be honest. What you should see is a reduced cost for upgrading the weapons. So you need to check to see if the full cost was deducted or if there was a discount. I'll experiment with it tonight if noboy gets to it sooner.

Post #: 139
RE: Wish List - 12/7/2006 8:21:47 PM   
elmo3

quote:

Ok, that is the answer then.

(in reply to jimwinsor)
Post #: 140
RE: Wish List - 12/7/2006 9:46:25 PM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

OK. That's at least "something". I'll check for the "discount prices" next time. Still would have been nice to have a "re-arm button" that sent your old weapons to another needy brigade, but it's a designer decision.

(in reply to jimwinsor)
Post #: 141
RE: Wish List - 12/7/2006 9:51:07 PM   
spruce

Give Richmond an extra barrack at the start of the game - so it can at least build a corps container - and will be able to build armies much faster then now.

the absence of a decent corps builder in the CSA is an issue - even more when taken into account that Richmonds development is drastically hampered by building all these barracks there (they take time) the war might be lost when the South is building the second army container for the Tenessee army...

And it also delays further development of Richmond greatly.

Post #: 142
RE: Wish List - 12/7/2006 9:55:41 PM   
Hard Sarge

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I have not looked to be honest. What you should see is a reduced cost for upgrading the weapons. So you need to check to see if the full cost was deducted or if there was a discount. I'll experiment with it tonight if noboy gets to it sooner.

your resources are listed on the screen, along with the cost of the weapon, either check the rules for what the weapon should cost, or go to another unit and see what the weapon should cost if bought for that unit

I forget if it is still there, but there were some, that you could end up making money

it does work

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 143
RE: Wish List - 12/8/2006 3:47:04 AM   
bountyhunter

I think Corinth, MS should be a "city" in the game. Prior to it's fall following Shiloh, it was considered the "Spine of the Confederacy" due to the strategic railroad junction there.

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 144
RE: Wish List - 12/8/2006 3:58:31 PM   
Jonathan Palfrey

I'm currently playing with the Upgrade Weapons option turned off (basic game, mostly), so as far as I know weapons have no function in the game.

However, my runners can still pick up weapons, and my list of income items includes weapons. As I presumably can't do anything with these weapons, it would be better if they didn't appear at all.

This is a low-priority item but I mention it anyway.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 145
RE: Wish List - 12/8/2006 4:38:20 PM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: bountyhunter

I think Corinth, MS should be a "city" in the game. Prior to it's fall following Shiloh, it was considered the "Spine of the Confederacy" due to the strategic railroad junction there.

The RR Junction is there, and the South can build a Fort there to protect it if it wants to. Corinth was important as a location, not a city..., and there are many larger and more important citys left out of the game as well.

(in reply to bountyhunter)
Post #: 146
RE: Wish List - 12/8/2006 6:30:44 PM   
moose1999

How about the option to choose near/normal/far start with each different battle?
I know I would very much appreciate such a feature, although I'm having no problems with the way the battles work now.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 147
RE: Wish List - 12/8/2006 6:51:25 PM   
carnifex

I wish I could slow down the siege text so that instead of it all flashing by super quick I could actually tell which brigade does what to whom.

(in reply to moose1999)
Post #: 148
RE: Wish List - 12/8/2006 6:52:36 PM   
carnifex

I wish I could change the flags for things like siege artillery and all the other units for whom the flag change pop-up only contains the option to <cancel>.

(in reply to carnifex)
Post #: 149
RE: Wish List - 12/8/2006 6:53:59 PM   
carnifex

I wish I could go right to the city or unit by clicking it's name on the summary/report screen.  Right now clicking it changes it's name.

(in reply to carnifex)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> RE: Wish List Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI