Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

West Virginia

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> West Virginia Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
West Virginia - 12/2/2006 3:28:50 AM   
chris0827

West Virginia shouldn't be under confederate control in either july or november. McClellan had easily driven them out in june and was firmly in control.
Post #: 1
RE: West Virginia - 12/2/2006 3:54:36 AM   
regularbird

Chris is correct, I mentioned this during the PBEM AAR.  Southern WV still had CSA presence but Parkersburg to Grafton should be Union occupied.

(in reply to chris0827)
Post #: 2
RE: West Virginia - 12/2/2006 4:01:16 AM   
KG Erwin

Had to pipe in here, as I am a WV resident with an interest in the Civil War. For all intents and purposes, WV is a Union-oriented territory, despite the fact that we supplied regiments to both armies. Few slaves were owned here, and our trade routes extended up the Ohio River towards the North.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 12/2/2006 4:10:42 AM >

(in reply to regularbird)
Post #: 3
RE: West Virginia - 12/2/2006 4:57:56 AM   
histgamer

Yes West Virginia stayed in the union and was made a state in 1863 I believe correct? Because of several reasons

1. It was mostly occupied by the union right away thus the people had no real feeling of having ever left

2. Most importantly its economy was more tied to the north than it was the south because of the Ohio river and trade up there for it was in their economic interest to say with the union.

< Message edited by flanyboy -- 12/2/2006 5:02:25 AM >

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 4
RE: West Virginia - 12/2/2006 5:13:17 AM   
Twotribes

The two provinces do generally fall immediantly to the Union ( though random unrest can occur).

The only problem I have with this is the fixation that the AI has on pushing Confederate forces into Wheeling. Invariable I am unable to march my forces there because of winter but the South always comes up the river and takes it.

(in reply to chris0827)
Post #: 5
RE: West Virginia - 12/2/2006 5:16:12 AM   
Williamb

I think this was to simulate the conquering of southern WV (which many early battles of the Civil war took place althought they were small battles)

"Granny" Lee would earn a negative reputation in this theater while McClellan would earn a stellar one.

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 6
RE: West Virginia - 12/2/2006 5:17:07 AM   
regularbird

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

Had to pipe in here, as I am a WV resident with an interest in the Civil War. For all intents and purposes, WV is a Union-oriented territory, despite the fact that we supplied regiments to both armies. Few slaves were owned here, and our trade routes extended up the Ohio River towards the North.

KG, I am in St. Albans, what part of the state do you reside?

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 7
RE: West Virginia - 12/2/2006 5:19:08 AM   
Williamb

Im from Wheeling originally but Im in Ohio now.

BTW Stonewall would be WV's most famous General but he served as a Virignian in the South's army.

Post #: 8
RE: West Virginia - 12/2/2006 5:38:10 AM   
chris0827

quote:

ORIGINAL: William Amos

Im from Wheeling originally but Im in Ohio now.

BTW Stonewall would be WV's most famous General but he served as a Virignian in the South's army.

Just because he was born in a town that became part of WV nearly 40 years later doesn't make Jackson a West Virginian.

(in reply to Williamb)
Post #: 9
RE: West Virginia - 12/2/2006 5:47:28 AM   
chris0827

quote:

ORIGINAL: William Amos

I think this was to simulate the conquering of southern WV (which many early battles of the Civil war took place althought they were small battles)

"Granny" Lee would earn a negative reputation in this theater while McClellan would earn a stellar one.

If they want to simulate the WV campaign they need to start the game earlier. By July 1861 they had already formed a new government. The fighting in July took place in the mountainous region near the border with Virginia. The populous regions to the west were firmly under Union control from June 1861 to the end of the war.

(in reply to Williamb)
Post #: 10
RE: West Virginia - 12/2/2006 5:52:05 AM   
regularbird

General Loring took Charleston in I think Sept 62, during Lee's first Maryland campaign.

(in reply to chris0827)
Post #: 11
RE: West Virginia - 12/2/2006 6:02:57 AM   
chris0827

quote:

ORIGINAL: regularbird

General Loring took Charleston in I think Sept 62, during Lee's first Maryland campaign.

Ok. Firmly may be overstating things a bit. The confederates held charleston for 6 weeks of the war. That doesn't change the fact that in July and November of 1861 when the two scenarios start the Union held the majority of what became West Virginia.

Post #: 12
RE: West Virginia - 12/2/2006 6:27:09 AM   
Gil R.

I'm hoping that Eric might chime in, since there might be a programming issue here: I don't know whether it is possible to have one or two provinces in a state begin the game as enemy territory. Thus my silence on this issue heretofore.

(in reply to chris0827)
Post #: 13
RE: West Virginia - 12/2/2006 6:35:15 AM   
jimwinsor

Well, I designed the July 1861 scenario, so all spitwads, snowballs, and brickbats concerning that particular scenario should be directed at me.

Actually, the original version of the scenario was set for WV (including Wheeling) to be under Union control...but the three provinces in question got jiggled back to CSA control during the flurry of beta updates and testing that was underway, back the Nov 1861 default of the Standard scenario.

Now, I can't speak for the Nov 1861 Standard scenario because it was not my design...but for those who want WV Union-ized, here is a "West Virginia Mod" file that will do just that.

Just save this file to your July_1861_s folder (in your Scenarios folder), say yes to overwrite, et voila! WV should start the game nice and blue. As always, you should practice responsible modding...make sure you save the original AcwProvinces.txt file in a safe place before you do this. Enjoy!

Attachment (1)

Streaming as "Grognerd" at https://www.twitch.tv/grognerd

(in reply to chris0827)
Post #: 14
RE: West Virginia - 12/2/2006 8:33:49 AM   
Hard Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

The two provinces do generally fall immediantly to the Union ( though random unrest can occur).

The only problem I have with this is the fixation that the AI has on pushing Confederate forces into Wheeling. Invariable I am unable to march my forces there because of winter but the South always comes up the river and takes it.

you can't get any of the troops from Kentucky into Wheeling in time ?

the AI does it to me all the time

(you know you can force march ?)

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 15
RE: West Virginia - 12/2/2006 6:48:15 PM   
Mr. Z

It's possible this got overlooked since the provinces in question usually fall to Union control at the end of the first turn anyway (so long as there are Union units stationed there, that is).

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 16
RE: West Virginia - 12/2/2006 7:22:49 PM   
Hard Sarge

Hassle is, it "should" work for a Union player, for a CSA player, Wheeling can be a early key hex, and it can be gotten to, with Eric taking the Garrison Bde out of Wheeling at the start, make it much HARDer to keep

the trouble is, if small battles are fought headed into Wheeling, they are fought on CSA land, so the small CSA forces are on the defence, and the Union forces are going to be HARD pressed to push them out

if the CSA wants to keep those lands, it can

if it was Union land, I could still take Grafton on the first turn, Parkersburg would be HARDer (as I would have to pull in most of my attacking forces as reinforcements, which also means most will not show up)

which means I should take Grafton on the first turn, Parkersburg on the 2nd, if I can match, Wheeling may fall if the Union moves troops from Kentucky over on the first turn, but that also starts to give away Wheeling

now is that right or is that wrong

if we hand over these 3 hexes to Union control right at the start, it would make the Union Defence stronger, weaken the chances of the CSA being off in 62

Grafton and Parkersburg, for the game, are not importent, if they start Union, I will take them, if they start CSA, the Union will not take them, or will get themself trapped if they try and hold them

Wheeling is the Key

(in reply to Mr. Z)
Post #: 17
RE: West Virginia - 4/29/2007 9:13:43 AM   
Gray_Lensman

quote:

ORIGINAL: jimwinsor

Well, I designed the July 1861 scenario, so all spitwads, snowballs, and brickbats concerning that particular scenario should be directed at me.

Actually, the original version of the scenario was set for WV (including Wheeling) to be under Union control...but the three provinces in question got jiggled back to CSA control during the flurry of beta updates and testing that was underway, back the Nov 1861 default of the Standard scenario.

Now, I can't speak for the Nov 1861 Standard scenario because it was not my design...but for those who want WV Union-ized, here is a "West Virginia Mod" file that will do just that.

Just save this file to your July_1861_s folder (in your Scenarios folder), say yes to overwrite, et voila! WV should start the game nice and blue. As always, you should practice responsible modding...make sure you save the original AcwProvinces.txt file in a safe place before you do this. Enjoy!

Didn't you also mean to attach "AcwStates.txt"? or is that only for v1.94 beta?

(in reply to jimwinsor)
Post #: 18
RE: West Virginia - 4/30/2007 3:03:36 AM   
ericbabe

Are you playing Southern Steel in the public beta?  WV starts in Union control in that scenario.

(in reply to Gray_Lensman)
Post #: 19
RE: West Virginia - 4/30/2007 7:04:46 AM   
Gray_Lensman

quote:

ORIGINAL: ericbabe

Are you playing Southern Steel in the public beta?  WV starts in Union control in that scenario.

Yes, I am playing Southern Steel, and three provinces do start in Union Control, but Wheeling is unable to be used for production as a city. This may be working as intended since West Virginia did not officially become a state for approximately another year. I just thought maybe the attachment from "jimwinsor" may or may not have been intended to do so.

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 20
RE: West Virginia - 5/2/2007 5:56:00 PM   
Twotribes

The game does not recognize WV as a seperate entity. You have to mod files for that. I have a thread in the mod section that tells you what to do before the beta, seems to still work even with the beta.

Basicly you have to create West Virginia as a State, the file that does this already has West Virginia listed, just no info is provided. If you do the mod on turn 2 a Governor will be elected. The draw back for the South is that it will always be West Virginia even if they conquer it early and hold it. Meaning one less city for Virginia to raise troop quality with.

(in reply to Gray_Lensman)
Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> West Virginia Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI