Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The NL No-Free Agency Assn

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> The Locker >> The NL No-Free Agency Assn Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The NL No-Free Agency Assn - 12/2/2006 3:47:01 AM   
motnahp

Running with 1.41 Beta. Through the All-Star break of 1969:

Pittsburgh has a commanding lead in the East. The Bucs are 56-32, 11 games ahead of Chicago and 12 up on St. Louis. All others are under .500.

Out West, LA is 48-40, 1 1/2 up on Houston and 4 up on Atlanta. All others are under .500.

LA's Willie Davis leads hitters with a .311 AVG. Cincy's Tony Perez is at .309. Hank Aaron leads in both HR and RBI with 26/64.

Chicago's Bill Hands leads the ERA race at 1.57. Pittsburgh's Bob Veale is next at 1.93. Among other pitchers, Woody Fryman is 12-6, Pat Jarvis is 11-7 and Denny Lemaster is 11-4.

The huge number of appearances from relievers has been toned down, but is still high. Chuck Taylor leads in appearances. He's toiled in 49 of his team's 86 games. There are about a dozen other relievers with over 40 appearances at the break.

The association's first no-hitter was tossed by San Diego's Joe Niekro against the Mets. Niekro started the year with Chicago, then was traded to the expansion Padres on April 25th. One odd fact about Niekro's no-hitter: He pitched the final two innings in RELIEF on May 27th, then no-hit the Mets the very next day. I guess PS is somehow coded to know that his being a knuckleballer enables him to do such a thing! This is either one small example of Shaun's genius, or a complete fluke and coincidence. Either way, I thought it was cute and needed to be mentioned.
Post #: 1
RE: The NL No-Free Agency Assn - 12/2/2006 4:12:17 AM   
motnahp

1969 regular season complete:

EAST________W_____L_____GB___________WEST________W_____L______GB
PITT________106___56_____---___________HOU_________86____76_____---
NYM_________86___76_____20____________ATL_________83____79______3
CHI_________83___79_____23____________LA__________82____80______4
PHA_________80___82_____26____________SF__________78____84______8
STL_________75___87_____31____________CIN_________76____86______10
MON________73___89_____33____________SD__________64____98______22

Pittsburgn was never challenged in the East. Both Houston and Atlanta took turns at the top of the West, each passing LA. Houston led the final three weeks and clinched on the final Friday.

Pittsburgh's Al Oliver took the batting title at .310. The Mets' Art Shamsky was the only other batter over .300. He finished at .304.

The Braves' Hank Aaron belted 48 HRs, easily besting Willie McCovey's 36. Aaron also took the RBI title with 114. The Mets' Donn Clendenon was second with 108.

Pittsburgh had remarkably consistent starting pitching all year. In the ERA race, Bob Moose finished 2.18 (16-8), Teammates Dock Ellis (2.19, 16-7) and Steve Blass (2.22, 14-4) were second and third.

There was a three-way tie in victories. Houston's Denny Lemaster, New York's Tom Seaver, and Cincinnati's Jim Merritt all finished with identical 18-8 marks.

St. Louis' Chuck Taylor finished with 90 appearances and two others topped 80. It looks as if great progress has been made tweaking the code for this, but it's not quite there yet.

(in reply to motnahp)
Post #: 2
RE: The NL No-Free Agency Assn - 12/2/2006 4:29:35 AM   
motnahp

At Pittsburgh's Forbes Field for game one, Larry Dierker (17-12, 2.33) opposes Bob Moose (16-8, 2.18).

Three Houston pitchers combined to shut out the Pirates on six hits in a 1-0 Astro victory. Tommy Davis knocked in the game's only run with a fifth-inning double. Houston's Larry Dierker went six innings, striking out seven and allowing five hits. Jim Ray posted two scoreless innings, while Fred Gladding pitched the ninth for the save.

Houston sends lefty Denny Lemaster against Pittsburgh's Dock Ellis in game two.

(in reply to motnahp)
Post #: 3
RE: The NL No-Free Agency Assn - 12/2/2006 6:22:09 AM   
Fouts

I'm guessing you set this league up in sandbox by importing each team?  How are you handling next year's rookie draft (NL only)?

Tough to follow the Padres in the early years.  Nate Colbert is about the only good thing on the roster.

(in reply to motnahp)
Post #: 4
RE: The NL No-Free Agency Assn - 12/3/2006 3:17:10 PM   
motnahp

I imported teams in sandbox mode, then set up as multiplayer, with all teams under human control. I will be prompted during the off-season if I want to run the draft. I will select "NO".

I use the sites baseball-reference.com and retrosheet.org to track actual roster moves and trades. I will import the rookies onto their actual teams. I will also "retire" any players who did not appear in the NL after 1969.

Once free agency comes into play in the mid-70's, players who were "Granted Free Agency" according to the two sites I mentioned, will be kept on their teams until they retired in real life.

As for the game play, I let AI set the rosters and line-ups. I have the AI Auto Adjust rosters and lineups after every roster move. On the 1st and 16th of every month, I Auto Adjust those teams who had no transactions since the last adjustment.

How'd you like J. Niekro's no-no? Don't forget, Randy Jones is coming soon

(in reply to Fouts)
Post #: 5
RE: The NL No-Free Agency Assn - 12/5/2006 12:25:06 AM   
motnahp

The Houston Astros head back to the Lone Star state up two games to none after a 3-2 victory in Pittsburgh.

Denny Lemaster struck out 8 Pirates over 7 2/3 innings to get the win. Fred Gladding pitched the ninth for his second save.

Pittsburgh took the early lead on an RBI single by losing pitcher Dock Ellis in the bottom of the third. Houston went ahead for good on a two-run double by Norm Miller in the top of the fourth, then increased the lead to 3-1 on an RBI single by Curt Blefary in the fifth. Pittsburgh closed the gap to 3-2 in their eighth inning on an RBI single by Richie Hebner.

Houston closer Gladding survived a shaky ninth, allowing Pittsburgh to load the bases on three singles. Gladding retired Roberto Clemente on a groundout for the final out.

The teams travel to Houston for game three with Pittsburgh's Bob Veale (15-7, 2.54) opposing Houston's tough-luck Don Wilson (11-19, 3.07). Wilson led the league in strikeouts with 226, but got very little run support.

(in reply to motnahp)
Post #: 6
RE: The NL No-Free Agency Assn - 12/6/2006 12:12:51 AM   
motnahp

Pittsburgh's Bob Veale retired the first 18 Astros, as the Pirates defeated Houston 2-0. Veale struck out 12 and walked none in eight innings. His bid for perfection ended in the top of the seventh when he allowed a lead-off single to Joe Morgan. Veale allowed only that one baserunner in eight innings. Joe Gibbon allowed one hit in a scoreless ninth to earn the save. Houston's Don Wilson took another tough loss, allowing the two earned runs on six hits during his six innings of work.

Pittsburgh's runs scored on a second inning RBI groundout by Manny Sanguillen and a sixth inning RBI triple by Matty Alou.

With Houston still holding a 2-1 game lead, the Astros send Tom Griffin (14-11, 3.19) against Pittsburgh's Steve Blass (14-4, 2.22) in game four.

(in reply to motnahp)
Post #: 7
RE: The NL No-Free Agency Assn - 12/6/2006 12:33:43 AM   
motnahp

Denis Menke accounted for three of the Astros six runs in a 6-3 win over the Pirates, moving Houston within a game of the title. Menke drove in runs with a double in the second, a mishandled grounder in the fourth and a solo homer in the sixth. Tommy Davis and Joe Morgan added RBI singles.

Tom Griffin and three relievers combined to hold Pittsburgh to only four hits, while striking out eight and walking four. Fred Gladding earned his third save of the series with a one-two-three ninth. Pittsburgh starting pitcher Steve Blass allowed 13 hits and six earned runs in five innings to absorb the loss. Game one starters Larry Dierker and Bob Moose hook up again in game five as the Astros attempt to clinch the title at home.

(in reply to motnahp)
Post #: 8
RE: The NL No-Free Agency Assn - 12/6/2006 1:15:27 AM   
motnahp

The Pittsburgh Pirates, one out away from losing the series to underdog Houston, rallied to defeat the Astros 4-2.

Houston led 2-0 after eight innings on a solo homer by Doug Rader and and RBI single by Jimmy Wynn. Houston closer Fred Gladding retired the first two Pirates in the ninth before the Pirate bats awoke. Richie Hebner homered to make the score 2-1. After Willie Stargell doubled and Roberto Clemente walked, Gene Alley loaded the bases with an infield single. Gladding had escaped a bases-loaded jam in game one, but could not pull a Houdini this time. Pinch-hitter Jose Pagan tied the game at 2-2 with an RBI single. After Gladding was replaced on the mound by Skip Guinn, pinch-hitter Jerry May drove in the winning runs with his two-RBI single. Joe Gibbon retired the Astros in order in the ninth to earn the save for the Pirates, who now head back home with the momentum, although still trailing three games to two.

Game two starters Lemaster and Ellis get the nods in game six.

(in reply to motnahp)
Post #: 9
RE: The NL No-Free Agency Assn - 12/6/2006 1:36:07 AM   
motnahp

The Houston Astros wrapped up an improbable upset by defeating the Pittsburgh Pirates 3-2 in game six.

Houston took a 3-0 lead on RBI doubles by Denis Menke and Tommy Davis, then added another run on an RBI single by Doug Rader.

Houston starter Denny Lemaster held the Pirates hitless for 6 2/3 innings. He walked the first two batters in the seventh, retired the next two, then allowed an RBI single to Manny Sanguillen, cutting the Astro lead to 3-1. Willie Stargell drew a bases-loaded walk from reliever Jim Ray in the eighth to bring the Bucs to within a run. Ray struck out Richie Hebner to end the inning, then turned the game over to closer Fred Gladding.

Gladding provided yet more drama in the bottom of the ninth. Sanguillen drew a leadoff walk, followed by a Dave Cash infield single. Matty Alou lined out to shortstop for the first out. Game four hero Jerry May could not deliver again in the pinch, however, grounding into a force play. With two outs and runners on the corners, Gladding struck out Freddie Patek to end the game and series.

For the season, Houston's Larry Dierker took the Cy Young and, as expected, Atlanta's Hank Aaron won the MVP. Dierker went 17-12 with a 2.33 ERA, while Aaron batted .277 with 48 HRs and 114 RBI.

Here's hoping 1.41 Beta handles the off-season progression and produces a smooth transition into 1970.

(in reply to motnahp)
Post #: 10
RE: The NL No-Free Agency Assn - 12/6/2006 3:05:41 AM   
Fouts

quote:

ORIGINAL: motnahp

As for the game play, I let AI set the rosters and line-ups. I have the AI Auto Adjust rosters and lineups after every roster move. On the 1st and 16th of every month, I Auto Adjust those teams who had no transactions since the last adjustment.

How'd you like J. Niekro's no-no? Don't forget, Randy Jones is coming soon

I see, you are making all the moves. Seems like some work involved.

Yeah, one season of Niekro is pretty cool. The late 70's were when I started following the Padres. Winfield, Ozzie, Gaylord, Tenace, Fingers, good stuff. I used to collect the 7-11 baseball cups with their faces on them when I was a kid.

(in reply to motnahp)
Post #: 11
RE: The NL No-Free Agency Assn - 12/6/2006 3:58:49 PM   
motnahp

The off-season is tedious at times. I write down all teams' transactions into a notebook (too much paper needed to print them), then make all the moves. It gets to be more of a hassle once free agency comes into play. FYI, San Diego will get to keep Winfield, but won't get to "sign" Tenace or Fingers. They played out their whole careers in my previous Assn., staying with my A's.

One thing I've done differently with this assn. is to turn off the finances. Oddly, I still had 4 players file for free agency after the 1969 season, although they were under a "reserve contract" with their teams. I noticed this when making my off-season roster moves prior to the 1970 season. I just signed them and added them back onto the proper rosters.

< Message edited by motnahp -- 12/9/2006 6:19:22 PM >

(in reply to Fouts)
Post #: 12
RE: The NL No-Free Agency Assn - 12/14/2006 5:07:13 PM   
motnahp

Using 1.41 Beta, off-season progression went off without a hitch. Totals through the All-Star Break of 1970:

In the East, Pittsburgh sits at 54-33, leading Philly by 1/2 game and the Mets by 2 1/2. In the West, Atlanta is 51-37. Defending champ Houston is second, 2 1/2 back. Cincy is 4 back and LA trails by 7.

Joe Torre leads the league in hitting at .371. Tim McCarver's at .343, while both Roberto Clemente and Willie Davis are at .343. Willie McCovey leads the league in HR with 33. St. Louis' Dick Allen has 28. Tony Perez and Hank Aaron follow with 24 and 23, respectively. Allen leads with 88 RBI. LA's Andy Kosco has 79 and Willie Stargell has 77.

Philly's Dick Selma has the lowest ERA at 1.67. Phil Niekro is second at 1.88. Pittsburgh's Bob Moose (13-2) is tied with SF's Gaylord Perry (13-6) for the league lead in wins. Perry also leads in Ks with 124. Bob Gibson has 121.

< Message edited by motnahp -- 12/14/2006 5:17:03 PM >

(in reply to motnahp)
Post #: 13
RE: The NL No-Free Agency Assn - 12/15/2006 12:19:48 AM   
motnahp

This association is dead in the water until further notice. Instead of sticking with the 1.20 official release, I made the bad decision to d-load 1.41 Beta. The last straw was when Philadelphia beat San Francisco 159-4. The AI is allowing relievers to give up monstrous amounts of runs. I'm sure Shaun can get it worked out. In the meantime, I'll just check the board periodically and do other things.

Be back soon (I hope).

(in reply to motnahp)
Post #: 14
RE: The NL No-Free Agency Assn - 12/17/2006 7:03:12 PM   
motnahp

It looks like Shaun stepped up to the plate and hit this problem into the net over the Green Monster. I will resume this assn. from the start of the 1970 season once the official 1.50 release hits the streets. Until then, I will have extra time available to help my wife wrap presents and paint Christmas cookies.....ugh.

(in reply to motnahp)
Post #: 15
RE: The NL No-Free Agency Assn - 12/21/2006 2:37:27 AM   
motnahp

D-loaded 1.51 and am back in action. I do need to keep a good eye on the rosters every time I make a change and AutoAdjust. A couple teams can't keep 10 decent pitchers on their roster. If a low-rated pitcher makes it onto the MLB roster without my catching it, AI will still let the poor guy give up 10-15 runs in one inning. It's not as bad as before, but still not quite right. Before the 1.41 patch, I could just let the AI decide the rosters and hardly pay attention to it. Making those pitchers strictly mop-up men does not solve the problem. I've had to retire a few guys just to keep the AI from calling them up.

Anyhow, back into the 1970 season and again at the All-Star Break. In the East, the Mets are 54-32, 5 games better than Philly and 9 1/2 up on Pittsburgh. Atlanta tops the West at 56-32, leading LA by 6 and Houston by 7 1/2.

Houston rookie John Mayberry leads the league in AVG at .319. Hank Aaron (.313) and Willie McCovey (.307) are lurking close behind. Aaron and McCovey are having triple crown threat seasons, as McCovey leads Aaron 25-24 in HRs, and 72-69 in RBI, ranking 1-2 in both categories.

Don Sutton leads in ERA at 1.74 (9-5). Fergie Jenkins is 2nd at 2.12 (8-4). Atlanta's Jim Nash is having a great year at 14-2, 2.54. Nolan Ryan (11-3, 2.58) and Clay Kirby (11-2, 2.24) are tied for second in victories.

(in reply to motnahp)
Post #: 16
RE: The NL No-Free Agency Assn - 12/21/2006 6:44:21 PM   
motnahp

1970 regular season complete:

NL_EAST__W___L___GB__________NL_WEST__W___L___GB

NYM_____104___58__---__________ATL______102__60__---
PITT_____94____68__10__________HOU______90___72__12
PHA_____86____76__18___________LA_______77___85__25
STL_____79____83__25___________CINN_____74___88__28
CHC____75____87__29___________SD_______71___91__31
MONT___54___108__50___________SF_______66___96__36

Going into the last four games of the season, St. Louis' Dick Allen led all triple crown categories. Houston's John Mayberry passed him for the batting race lead heading into the season's final day. On that Sunday, Mayberry went 0-4 and Allen went 2-4. Dick Allen ended up winning the triple crown. He batted .316 to Mayberry's .315. Hank Aaron was 3rd at .310. Allen's 49 HRs beat out Willie McCovey's 47 and Aaron's 45. Allen knocked in 134 runs. McCovey and Aaron followed with 131 and 124, respectively.

Atlanta's Jim Nash became this association's first 20-game winner on September 19th. Two starts later, he threw a no-hitter against San Diego.

Rick Wise won the ERA title at 2.18. He was also 18-6 on the year. Tom Seaver finished at 2.32 (15-6) and Phil Niekro was third with 2.48 (16-12). Seaver and Niekro will oppose each other in game one of the Series.

Nash finished up at 22-4, 2.74. He was followed by Wise, Ken Holtzman (18-11, 2.69) and Pat Dobson (18-11, 2.79). Fergie Jenkins led in strikeouts with 243. Bob Moose had 236 and Don Sutton 226.

(in reply to motnahp)
Post #: 17
RE: The NL No-Free Agency Assn - 12/21/2006 6:59:36 PM   
motnahp

The New York Mets took the series opener 3-1 over the Atlanta Braves. Art Shamsky drove in all three runs. Tom Seaver and Tug McGraw shut down the powerful Braves' lineup, limiting them to only three hits.

Shamsky doubled in one run in the bottom of the 4th. The Braves' Bob Tillman tied the score with a solo homer in the top of the 7th. Shamsky came up with two outs in the bottom of the 8th and runners on 2nd and 3rd. He drove in both runs with a single off losing pitcher Larry Jaster. Seaver went 8 strong innings for the win and McGraw pitched the 9th for the save.

In game two, it will be Ron Reed (13-8, 3.48) for the Braves and Jerry Koosman (13-9, 2.85) for the Mets.

(in reply to motnahp)
Post #: 18
RE: The NL No-Free Agency Assn - 12/21/2006 7:09:56 PM   
motnahp

Ron Reed allowed only three singles and a walk as the Braves won 4-0 to even the series with the Mets. The Braves tallied two in the 1st on Hank Aaron's RBI double and Darrell Evans' RBI single. Atlanta added solo runs in both the 4th and 6th innings on sacrifice flies by Orlando Cepeda and Reed.

(in reply to motnahp)
Post #: 19
RE: The NL No-Free Agency Assn - 12/21/2006 7:21:39 PM   
motnahp

The New York Mets took game three 4-1. Gary Gentry and Tug McGraw combined to hold the Braves to only six hits. The Mets went up 1-0 on Ken Boswell's RBI double in the top of the 4th. Orlando Cepeda tied the game in the bottom of the 4th on a solo homer. Donn Clendenon provided the margin of victory with his three-run homer off Braves' starter and loser George Stone in the 5th inning.

In game 4, Nolan Ryan (15-7, 2.71) takes the mound against Jim Nash (22-4, 2.74).

(in reply to motnahp)
Post #: 20
RE: The NL No-Free Agency Assn - 12/21/2006 7:39:37 PM   
motnahp

The Atlanta Braves tied the series at 2-2 with a dramatic 6-5 win in 11 innings. The Mets scored three in the top of the 11th to break a 2-2 tie. Ken Boswell drew a bases-loaded walk. Duffy Dyer followed with a two-run single to make it 5-2. Tug McGraw came on for the save, but had nothing in the tank. McGraw walked the first four men he faced and the score was 5-3. Orlando Cepeda drove in a run with a single to bring the score to 5-4. Bob Didier's RBI ground out tied the score at 5-5. The Braves then won the game on Felix Millan's infield single. McGraw was charged with four earned runs in only 1/3 of an inning. Atlanta's Julio Navarro picked up the win in relief.

(in reply to motnahp)
Post #: 21
RE: The NL No-Free Agency Assn - 12/21/2006 7:55:04 PM   
motnahp

The Atlanta Braves head back to New York with a 3-2 lead in the series following a 6-3 victory in game five. Darrell Evans' 5th-inning grand slam off Tom Seaver broke a 1-1 tie. Winning pitcher Phil Niekro singled in a run in the 6th to make the score 6-1. The Mets tried to rally in the 8th, scoring twice off Niekro. Cecil Upshaw pitched the 9th and earned the save for the Braves.

(in reply to motnahp)
Post #: 22
RE: The NL No-Free Agency Assn - 12/21/2006 8:04:24 PM   
motnahp

Jerry Koosman and Tug McGraw shut down the Braves on only two hits in a 2-0 win in game six. The Mets scored both their runs in the second off losing pitcher Ron Reed. Ken Boswell had an RBI single. Bud Harrelson's RBI groundout capped the scoring.

Atlanta will send George Stone against the Mets' Gary Gentry in the seventh and deciding game.

(in reply to motnahp)
Post #: 23
RE: The NL No-Free Agency Assn - 12/21/2006 8:29:05 PM   
motnahp

The Atlanta Braves are champions following a 3-2 victory over the New York Mets in game seven. The game was tied 2-2 with two outs in the top of the 7th. Braves catcher Bob Didier's grounder to second was misplayed by Ken Boswell, allowing Hank Aaron to score the eventual winning run. The Mets had taken a 2-0 lead on RBI singles by Art Shamsky in the 3rd and Bud Harrelson in the 4th. Atlanta cut the lead to 2-1 on Darrell Evans' RBI single in the top of the 5th. In the decisive 7th, Mets' starter Gary Gentry, obviously tiring, walked two of the three batters he faced. Nolan Ryan came out of the bullpen and promtply walked the first two men he saw, forcing in a run and tying the score. Ryan struck out Gil Garrido, before inducing the fateful grounder to Boswell.

As for the postseason awards, the MVP formula has definitely been tweaked. St. Louis' triple crown winner Dick Allen (never a media favorite) DID NOT win the award. The Braves' Hank Aaron, who finished third behind Allen and Willie McCovey in the major hitting races, walked off with the trophy.

As expected, Atlanta's Jim Nash won the Cy Young Award.

Odd postscript: Dick Allen also won the triple crown in my 1972 American League version of the No Free Agency/ No DH assn. Voters were a little more kind to him, as he DID pick up the MVP that year. It makes me wonder what kind of stats Allen could have put up in real life had he not experienced the racism he surely was subjected to in the minor leagues and early in his career. I bet he'd be a sure hall-of-famer if his career had started in the mid 70's instead of the mid 60's.

< Message edited by motnahp -- 12/21/2006 8:45:46 PM >

(in reply to motnahp)
Post #: 24
RE: The NL No-Free Agency Assn - 1/12/2007 2:15:00 PM   
motnahp

After a holiday break, the assn. is back in action. Through the All-Star Break of 1971:

In a tight NL East race, the NY Mets and St Louis are tied at 46-42. Philly is one GB and Pittsburgh is 3 GB. In the West, San Fran is 58-30, leading Cincy by 5 1/2 games, LA by 7 and Atlanta by 7 1/2.

Joe Torre leads the batting race at .323. Richie Hebner is 2nd at 3.17. Willie Stargell leads in HR with 24. Johnny Bench, Bob Robertson and Hank Aaron all have 21. Bench leads with 65 RBI. Stargell has 64 and Aaron has 61.

Tom Seaver has the lowest ERA at 1.49 (10-4). Ray Sadecki is 1.71 (6-2) and Gaylord Perry is at 1.75 (15-4). Perry's 15 wins leads the league. Bill Singer is closest at 13-4 (2.56). Seaver leads in Ks with 136. Singer & Fergie Jenkins both have 125.

(in reply to motnahp)
Post #: 25
RE: The NL No-Free Agency Assn - 1/12/2007 3:11:42 PM   
motnahp

1971 regular season complete:

NL_EAST_____W_____L_____GB__________NL_WEST_____W_____L_____GB
PITTSBURGH__85____77____---__________LOS ANGELES__100___62____---
NEW YORK___84____78_____1__________ATLANTA_______94___68_____6
ST. LOUIS____83____79_____2__________CINCINNATI____91___71_____9
PHILADELPHIA_82___80_____3__________SAN FRANCISCO_90___72____10
MONTREAL____70___92_____15__________HOUSTON_____65___97____35
CHICAGO_____64___98_____21__________SAN DIEGO____64___98____36

Joe Torre took the batting title at .328, with Hank Aaron second at .312. Willie Stargell led the league in homers with 39. Johnny Bench and Bobby Bonds had 36. Stargell also led in RBI with 116. Bench had 110 and Tony Perez drove home 109.

Tom Seaver led in ERA with 1.54 (19-6). Gaylord Perry was second with a 1.94 (20-9). Bill Singer had the most wins at 22-8 (2.26), followed by Perry's 20 and Seaver's 19. Seaver also led in strikeouts with 231. Singer had 229 and Fergie Jenkins ended up third with 221.

< Message edited by motnahp -- 1/12/2007 3:50:40 PM >

(in reply to motnahp)
Post #: 26
RE: The NL No-Free Agency Assn - 1/12/2007 3:59:44 PM   
motnahp

Game One: Bob Moose (13-10, 2.86) vs Bill Singer (22-8, 2.26).

The underdog Pirates took the series opener 2-1 behind Bob Moose's 8 scoreless innings. Moose allowed only 4 hits, while striking out 8. Gene Alley drove in the game's first run on a groundout in the sixth inning. The Bucs plated an insurance run in the ninth on Bob Robertson's RBI single. The Dodgers rallied in their half of the ninth, loading the bases with no outs against Pirate reliever Luke Walker, but could manage only a Dick Allen RBI single before Walker retired the side.

This game was played in frigid (for LA) conditions, 41 degrees at game time with a stiff, 15 MPH breeze blowing in.

< Message edited by motnahp -- 1/12/2007 4:11:14 PM >

(in reply to motnahp)
Post #: 27
RE: The NL No-Free Agency Assn - 1/12/2007 4:14:48 PM   
motnahp

Game Two: Dock Ellis (10-6, 2.63) vs Don Sutton (15-10, 3.00), with a more reasonable temp. of 67 degrees.

Los Angeles evened the series at a game apiece with a 3-1 victory over Pittsburgh. Duke Sims gave the Dodgers a 2-0 lead with his bases-loaded 2-RBI single in the bottom of the first. Pittsburgh cut the lead in half with a Richie Hebner SAC-FLY in the third. Sims then followed Willie Crawford's sixth-inning triple with an RBI single.

Don Sutton allowed only one run on three hits in 6 IP. Jim Brewer pitched a 1-2-3 9th for the save. Pittsburgh starter Ellis allowed only three hits and two unearned runs in 5 IP.

We now head to Pittsburgh and cold weather for the next three games.

< Message edited by motnahp -- 1/12/2007 4:26:23 PM >

(in reply to motnahp)
Post #: 28
RE: The NL No-Free Agency Assn - 1/12/2007 4:29:02 PM   
motnahp

Game Three: Al Downing (17-10, 2.95) vs Steve Blass (11-10, 2.83).

The weather was cooler, but the Pirate bats provided the heat in a 7-0 win for Pittsburgh. Steve Blass shut out LA on five hits. The Pirates opened the scoring in the bottom of the first on Richie Hebner's RBI single and a bases-loaded walk to Gene Alley. Roberto Clemente's three-run homer in the second built the lead to 5-0. Bob Robertson added a two-run shot in the sixth to account for the final tally. LA starter and losing pitcher Al Downing allowed 5 earned runs in five innings. The Pittsburgh infield helped Blass by turning four double plays.

(in reply to motnahp)
Post #: 29
RE: The NL No-Free Agency Assn - 1/12/2007 4:43:03 PM   
motnahp

Game Four and a matchup of rookie right-handers: Doyle Alexander (11-7, 3.70) vs Bruce Kison (13-8, 3.28).

The Pittsburgh Pirates are one win away from the title following a 4-3 victory over the Dodgers. Manny Sanguillen's two-run homer in the sixth gave the Pirates a 3-2 lead. They increased the lead to 4-2 on Roberto Clemente's SAC-FLY in the seventh. LA's Duke Sims smacked an RBI triple in the 8th to cut the lead to 4-3. Pittsburgh's Luke Walked allowed the first two Dodgers to reach base in the ninth, but was helped by yet another Pirate double play. Winning pitcher Bruce Kison allowed only two runs over seven innings.

(in reply to motnahp)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> The Locker >> The NL No-Free Agency Assn Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI