Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Questions about Blockade Runners

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Questions about Blockade Runners Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Questions about Blockade Runners - 12/2/2006 10:35:05 PM   
moss

I have started several games in a "head to head" configuration where I am playing both sides to get an idea of the play of the game. The first item on my list was how to effectively intedict Southern trade with the Union navy.

1. How does one "intercept and damage" blockade runners?

I have tried leaving Union fleets in the same sea provinces with blockade runners (with neither moving), yet the blockade runners *DO NOT* appear to take any damage. Several variants of this have been attempted, including moving the blockade runners through a stream of provinces with Union ships located in the provinces, all to no success in damaging the runners.

2. Is it actually possible to damage the runners?

In these tests, I have not noticed *any* loss of strength in the runners, even when attempting "runs" to locations where the danger possibility is high (40-50%).

3. As the Union player, should it be possible to select a blockade runner and see the locations with resources available?

I am able to do this (and "attempt") to position the Union forces to the "rendezvous point" for the runners to pick up the resources.... (Obviously to no success in hindering the collection of the resources.)

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Moss.
Post #: 1
RE: Questions about Blockade Runners - 12/2/2006 10:46:01 PM   
Hard Sarge

one thing, for the Runners, it is a die roll, if make the roll you are good, if you fail the roll you are not, and if you do fail, you can take anywhere from 1 to 10 damage

(in reply to moss)
Post #: 2
RE: Questions about Blockade Runners - 12/2/2006 11:54:07 PM   
moss

I understand that. I have placed multiple Union fleets with additional ships purchased. The runners have made multiple "passes of the gauntlet without a loss of strength. This is over a game-year of time with one runner going back and forth across a stream of multiple provinces with various numbers of Union vessels (some in fleets, some not in fleets).

The other runner has "lived without loss of strength" going after the highest risk "good" without damage.

This does not seem statisically very likely to me.....
There have been more than 100 "opportunities" for the gauntlet runner to be damaged. ("opportunity" is defined as moving into a province where Union vessels are located.)

There are 1-7 Union vessels in each of these provinces....
(The Union has blockade ops, the confed does not in the current run.)

(in reply to moss)
Post #: 3
RE: Questions about Blockade Runners - 12/3/2006 12:46:54 AM   
moss

well, finally in late February of 1863 of my last run, a runner has disappeared for the first time. (I did not notice any message about its disappearance or destruction.)

Is the chance for Runner destruction actually 10%? This seems very unlikely given the several runs which I have tried. One percent appears much closer to what is happening. (manual typo??)

So effectively, the best way to strangle the South would apparently be to blockade the ports and any "runner kills" are just a bonus (since it does not appear to be worth the effort to try to hunt them down....)

I still would like to know whether it is intended that one should be able to select the runners as the Union player and see the goods locations....
(Both sides seem to be able to select opposition units, although they cannot do anything with them.)

Now, to see if blockading actually reduces European supply/support....

(in reply to moss)
Post #: 4
RE: Questions about Blockade Runners - 12/3/2006 1:22:34 AM   
spruce

during my confederacy game I had 15 turns after which one of my blockade runners got caught - and got 9 damage and got disbanded (from july 1861 to april 1862) ... chance for capture is low early game but damage can be high.

the manual also says that each blokcaded Southern port gives them less resources (in their free diplomatical gifts) and might also damage runner chances at getting their goods.

So put together, Union blockade =

- chances are you can destroy a blockade runner - or take it out of action temporary,
- reduce free gifts effort from European powers,
- hamper blokcade runners chances (increase danger %) - but I'm not 100% sure on that one - but it seems pretty logical imho.

Basicly - it's not so when you are NOT damaging runners - there's no effect on the yield for the Confederacy.

(in reply to moss)
Post #: 5
RE: Questions about Blockade Runners - 12/4/2006 3:56:05 AM   
Gil R.

The Union doesn't get to know where the shipments are located.

The way to render runners permanently ineffective is to blockade all of the South's ports.

A Union fleet does have a 10% chance of doing damage to runners; damage can also occur from unspecified sources (presumably, storms at sea and other disasters, in addition to Union actions).

There is a naval upgrade that gives the Union greater success at stopping runners, so invest in naval research.

Finally, if people think that runners aren't being destroyed enough, please post in the Wish List thread that this perhaps should be tweaked.

(in reply to spruce)
Post #: 6
RE: Questions about Blockade Runners - 12/6/2006 6:02:42 AM   
Alex Gilbert

After much experimentation with the CSA, I was just playing my first game as the Union.  Much to my surprise, on the unit purchase screen, the Union was allowed to purchase a blocakde runner.  Out of curiosity, I bought one.  When it was ready, there was no icon on the main screen, but by clicking on the province, I was able to access the unit, move it to sea, and collected 50 weapons.

I assume the Union is not meant to be able to purchase blockade runners, correct?

Alex

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 7
RE: Questions about Blockade Runners - 12/6/2006 6:22:24 AM   
Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alex Gilbert

After much experimentation with the CSA, I was just playing my first game as the Union. Much to my surprise, on the unit purchase screen, the Union was allowed to purchase a blocakde runner. Out of curiosity, I bought one. When it was ready, there was no icon on the main screen, but by clicking on the province, I was able to access the unit, move it to sea, and collected 50 weapons.

I assume the Union is not meant to be able to purchase blockade runners, correct?

Alex

No, it's not. That would be a bug... Thanks!

(in reply to Alex Gilbert)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Questions about Blockade Runners Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI