Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

order of movement

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> order of movement Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
order of movement - 12/4/2006 4:02:27 PM   
rogeur

Hi all,

i like to know what the order of movement is regarding the
soldiers. Like wich army/corps/div/brig ,oves first during movement phase?
Is it in the order you use during order phase or is it thru initiative
(with all modifiers)?
If it's the last option , how can i tell wich goes first?
I'm asking this , because i often have 2 corps , and want them to attack at the same time, coming from the same province or from a different one.Or is it that they move and automaticly
merge together (for that battle) unless one doesn't move at all.
Pardon my english, it's not my native tongue, wich brings me to another question.
What is Impressment? What does it do?

ty for your patience
Post #: 1
RE: order of movement - 12/4/2006 5:05:14 PM   
Twotribes

It is quite possible for different Armies or Corps or Divisions to still move after a battle has occurred by the other group moving first ( I havent actually seen it other than after I win but unless told otherwise it seems possible)

Movement occurs in phases and within phases by Initiative as I understand it.

(in reply to rogeur)
Post #: 2
RE: order of movement - 12/4/2006 6:34:49 PM   
Sonny

Impressment means the government takes what it wants.

In the game if an area has 30 horses listed to the right of the impressment button it means you get 30 horses if the impressment is successful.

It is not liked by the folks from whom the goods are taken which is why the support from the governor goes down when you try it (unless the governor approves of impressment).

Quote from Snigbert -

"If you mess with the historical accuracy, you're going to have ahistorical outcomes."

"I'll say it again for Sonny's sake: If you mess with historical accuracy, you're going to have
ahistorical outcomes. "

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 3
RE: order of movement - 12/4/2006 6:52:15 PM   
mlees

My speculations to your questions:

quote:

ORIGINAL: rogeur

Hi all,

i like to know what the order of movement is regarding the
soldiers. Like wich army/corps/div/brig ,oves first during movement phase?

It seems to me that units "roll" a hidden iniative roll. Higher initiative moves first. Faster units (moving by rail, or cavalry, "fast" movement traits, etc.) will move before the slower ones. (Notice that your ships usually move first each turn?) Also, the province type they move through will affect unit speed (and thus move order).

quote:

Is it in the order you use during order phase or is it thru initiative
(with all modifiers)?

No, I don't think so. See above.

quote:

If it's the last option , how can i tell wich goes first?

You can't be 100% sure, but you might be able to stack the deck with leaders with high initiative ratings, and buying fast move traits...

quote:

I'm asking this , because i often have 2 corps , and want them to attack at the same time, coming from the same province or from a different one.Or is it that they move and automaticly
merge together (for that battle) unless one doesn't move at all.

Tough to coordinate from seperate provinces. I would not count on that unless you are real desperate. I would put them in the same Army container, if possible. The computer seems to start battles according to some initiative order, as well.

However, if the battle starts before the slower corps can make it into the province, you can click on the "reinforce" button, I think, and select the slower corps as the source of reinforcements. (I have been doing the "quick" battles only.)

quote:

Pardon my english, it's not my native tongue, wich brings me to another question.
What is Impressment? What does it do?

That's the government coming in and "drafting" or "requisitioning" the item(s) in question. In game turns, you have the stated chance of gaining the stated resource, and you pay in a loyalty hit with the governor. (I don't remember what, if any, the other penalties are...) You will gain the stuff, assuming success, at the start of the next turn, not immediately.

Edit: Thanks, Gil. I forgot about that "support" function. I have been learning the game on the fly, so to speak. That is my story, and I'm sticking to it...

< Message edited by mlees -- 12/4/2006 7:43:20 PM >

(in reply to rogeur)
Post #: 4
RE: order of movement - 12/4/2006 7:17:19 PM   
Gil R.

Regarding impressment of resources, don't forget that there is a risk of unrest in that province, which will shut down production until it is over and possibly lead to the destruction of buildings.

As for the initiative question, it's based on modifiers rather than the order you did things in the turn phase. But the piece of information that you especially need is to be alerted to the "support" function, which allows you to send multiple forces into a province from different directions so that they arrive and fight at the same time. Look through the manual and you'll find the discussion. But essentially, the way it works is: move Army A into province, then select Army B and move the movement arrow into that province but hit the 'S' key instead of clicking on the province. Army B will only enter the province if Army A does.

(in reply to mlees)
Post #: 5
RE: order of movement - 12/4/2006 8:52:14 PM   
Sonny

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gil R.

Regarding impressment of resources, don't forget that there is a risk of unrest in that province, which will shut down production until it is over and possibly lead to the destruction of buildings.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that as a risk also.

Quote from Snigbert -

"If you mess with the historical accuracy, you're going to have ahistorical outcomes."

"I'll say it again for Sonny's sake: If you mess with historical accuracy, you're going to have
ahistorical outcomes. "

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 6
RE: order of movement - 12/4/2006 9:07:58 PM   
rogeur

Ok guys,
ty very much . Things are much clearer now.
I have the manual, but finding things isn't always easy.
But the "s button" tip is great !

(in reply to Sonny)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> order of movement Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI