Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Somewhat OT, but sorta relevant :Taxation of virtual assets

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: Somewhat OT, but sorta relevant :Taxation of virtual assets Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Somewhat OT, but sorta relevant :Taxation of virtua... - 12/5/2006 4:58:22 AM   
Knavey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feinder

I have no idea what the $2 is for. I know in some MMORPGs, there are middle-man "companies" (guilds) that act pass the item(s) from the seller to the buyer once payment is made.

1. Seller gives item to trusted middle-man.
2. Buyer makes payment.
3. Middle-man gives items to buyer.

Otherwise, payment could be made, and seller never gives up item.

The $2 could well be a payment to the middle-man guild. I have no idea tho. I never bought anything in-game (altho Dave, did you know our idiot-brother Paul used to buy stuff in AC2?).

-F-

Nope,

Didn't know that...gonna have to give him a ration of poo over that.

x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93
"Going slow in the fast direction"

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 31
RE: Somewhat OT, but sorta relevant :Taxation of virtua... - 12/5/2006 4:17:35 PM   
siRkid

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kid

The whole idea of taxing virtual property is crap. Its just another way for the government to put their hand in your pocket. I say if they can start taxing virtual money, then we should be able to pay in virtual money. Either that or I'll stop playing altogether. Why don't they tax Monopoly money? I mean there are probably millions of Monopoly players, why doesn’t the IRS monitor each game and make players pay a tax each time they make a transaction. The world is becoming a crazy place.

The difference is that I have not heard of anybody trading Monopoly money for real money. When real money is exchanged for something, whether physically tangible, or virtual, the IRS wants a cut of the transaction. If a large enough number of people are trading something so that it has a fairly stable value, even if no US currency trades hands, the IRS assumes that something of value that could be traded for US currency has traded hands and they want a piece of it.

Technically, the IRS does not care if the income was legal or not. Drug dealers are just as subject to IRS rules as the rest of us. There have been cases where the IRS has slapped drug dealers with big bills when they showed up on the radar. As someone else pointed out, they eventually got Capone on tax evasion.

This trade in game assets is essentially a new form of software. We pay money for computer software. Some of it, such as Linux is free, and people pirate it, but most computer software is sold to customers. We are buying something virtual there too. You aren't paying much for the CD it comes on. A disc with an old game on it might be $10 in the bargain bin, but a disc of exactly the same quality with Adobe Photoshop on it would be several hundred dollars. You can even download the content after paying for it.

I hate the IRS just as much as every American. I can see where there are precedents for this though.

Bill

If they only want to tax e-items bought for real cash, I'm ok with that but I got the impression they wanted to tax in-game transactions of virtual money. Maybe I read it wrong.

Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 32
RE: Somewhat OT, but sorta relevant :Taxation of virtua... - 12/5/2006 4:21:44 PM   
Feinder

I'm pretty sure they're talking about virtual items bought/sold with real world money.

If you slay the dragon and 1000 gold, the IRS doesn't care.
But, if you sell that 1000 gold for $100, they want their cut.

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 33
RE: Somewhat OT, but sorta relevant :Taxation of virtua... - 12/5/2006 7:49:32 PM   
panda124c

Wait am minute, I smell a scam, we could start a virtual IRS for in game taxing, leans on property, confiscation of property for unpaid virtual taxes, hire a bunch of people to enforce...... the potential is enormous.

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 34
RE: Somewhat OT, but sorta relevant :Taxation of virtua... - 12/5/2006 9:39:10 PM   
wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kid
If they only want to tax e-items bought for real cash, I'm ok with that but I got the impression they wanted to tax in-game transactions of virtual money. Maybe I read it wrong.

They probably do want to tax people for in game transactions. If you barter with someone, the IRS wants to collect taxes on that, even though no cash changed hands because the items bartered could be traded for cash. It's screwy, and I don't think it's right, but there is a long precedent for it.

In game transactions that can be cashed in are probably going to be subject to taxation someday. Transactions that cannot be valued in US dollars won't be taxed because you aren't trading something of any value. The IRS are sharks. Instead of blood in the water, they flock around money moving around.

Personally, I think they should go after the illegal drug trade. If those drugs were made legal, brought up into a legitimate market above ground, and taxed, the US government would be awash with money. I've seen an estimate that the amount of money in the illegal drug trade with the US is more than three times the money in the entire oil market. Even if they aren't made legal, the IRS still wants a piece of it. It's just harder to collect if it's underground income.

Bill

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 35
RE: Somewhat OT, but sorta relevant :Taxation of virtua... - 12/5/2006 9:48:42 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

They probably do want to tax people for in game transactions. If you barter with someone, the IRS wants to collect taxes on that, even though no cash changed hands because the items bartered could be traded for cash. It's screwy, and I don't think it's right, but there is a long precedent for it.

This is true - they will go after you for "barter income" even though no real cash is involved (but of course, the opposite is not true in that i don't think you can subtract bad barter deals from your income...) i guess they figure this is something of a kin. Find a +5 dancing vorpal sword (that can be sold) they would count as "found income", kill a dragon for it and it is "earned income".

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 36
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: Somewhat OT, but sorta relevant :Taxation of virtual assets Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI