Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Still buggy!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Forge of Freedom - Support >> Still buggy! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Still buggy! - 12/9/2006 5:53:32 AM   
steveuk

Hi....I waited before posting as the game was unplayable until the siege/scroll bugs were sorted out. Anyway I have noticed the following which is occuring quite frequently in detailed battles.
1) When the battle has been decided....if I press the quick resolve button for the pc to take over the last remaining rounds, the window to confirm my decision appears underneath the FOF battle screen.
2) The same problem happened when I once pressed the retreat button.
On all the occasions the above occured, I was able to minimize the game and click on the window waiting for an input and then return to the game. On one occasion though, the game took ages to appear and I noted I had no further leader upgrades i.e. increasing leader rank! This was the beginning of June 1862.
I am playing the CSA using advanced rules at Captain level and the game is patched.
Aside from the above annoyances....I think FOF is an excellent game although I do wonder about the following decisions during development;
3) Why does the Union AI continually launch suicidal attacks at my in-line infantry?
4) I can understand the concepts of command and control but why does a unit assigned with a leader deviate from a given movement path?
5) I have never had a broken unit return to the battle again. I have tried chasing routed units with leaders who increase morale but all to no avail....am I missing something here?
Post #: 1
RE: Still buggy! - 12/9/2006 2:22:12 PM   
ratters72

Ditto.

Im having the exact same issues.  I have to hit the windows key at the end of battles to get any response.  Sometimes this makes the program unstable and either crashes or takes forever to resolve automatically.

Besides that, loving the game.

PS - sound the retreat, sound the retreat

(in reply to steveuk)
Post #: 2
RE: Still buggy! - 12/9/2006 6:10:54 PM   
ericbabe

That's strange, those dialogs are system model and according to the Windows documentation should always be on top.  Are there any other popup windows that have this problem, or just the ones in detailed combat?

The Union AI is maximizing the length of a vector of values in the state space of possible moves.  Without knowing the details of the state space at that particular moment, it's difficult to say why that vector was maximal.

When you say "why does a unit assigned with a leader deviate from a given movement path" I assume you mean "why was the game designed this way".  It so happens that I've read many historical accounts of units marching to the wrong place on the battlefield and in each of those cases the units had leaders.

Broken units can return to the battle again -- one of our beta testers thought it was happening too easily -- so it does happen.

(in reply to ratters72)
Post #: 3
RE: Still buggy! - 12/9/2006 10:47:27 PM   
steveuk

quote:

ORIGINAL: ericbabe

That's strange, those dialogs are system model and according to the Windows documentation should always be on top.  Are there any other popup windows that have this problem, or just the ones in detailed combat?

The Union AI is maximizing the length of a vector of values in the state space of possible moves.  Without knowing the details of the state space at that particular moment, it's difficult to say why that vector was maximal.

When you say "why does a unit assigned with a leader deviate from a given movement path" I assume you mean "why was the game designed this way".  It so happens that I've read many historical accounts of units marching to the wrong place on the battlefield and in each of those cases the units had leaders.

Broken units can return to the battle again -- one of our beta testers thought it was happening too easily -- so it does happen.

Thanks Eric for clearing up a couple of points. My civil war knowledge is crap at best Is there any way to help a unit from it's routed state?

I have only noticed the window problem in the tactical battle map although I have not played the game much while waiting for the patch to be released. If it does happen on the strategic map I will let you know.
I am also wondering if this occurs only after saving and resuming a game on the tactical map?

EDIT: I have just started a new game as CSA 1861, advanced rules and Captain difficulty. I had a few tactical battles without any problems. Aug 61 I started another battle and when the Union forces were routed I clicked on quick resolve. The window was again under the main battle screen. I minimized the battle screen and clicked on the box asking if I'm sure I want to enable quick combat. I clicked yes and then the end of turn box appeared before I restored the main screen. I clicked ok and got my summary for the turn but again I got no option to upgrade any of my Generals
I did not save any part of the game this time so it appears to be happening at anytime.

< Message edited by steveuk -- 12/10/2006 8:50:17 AM >

It is well that war is so terrible; else we would grow too fond of it.
Robert E. Lee (1807-1870)

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Forge of Freedom - Support >> Still buggy! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI