Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Napoleon's Ratings / Wellington's Ratings

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> RE: Napoleon's Ratings / Wellington's Ratings Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Napoleon's Ratings / Wellington's Ratings - 12/31/2006 12:32:21 AM   
Ursa MAior

quote:

ORIGINAL: malcolm_mccallum

The war will end when politics, communication, and compromise ends it. That can only start to happen when we look to understand the enemy, the truth of the conflict, and perhaps more importantly, ourselves.

Amen to that.

Art by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to malcolm_mccallum)
Post #: 91
RE: Napoleon's Ratings / Wellington's Ratings - 12/31/2006 7:57:34 AM   
Erik Rutins

Please keep this thread on topic. Diversions to current events and politics will get it locked up. Thanks.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Ursa MAior)
Post #: 92
RE: Napoleon's Ratings / Wellington's Ratings - 12/31/2006 12:46:10 PM   
Ursa MAior

Murat
Cuz I dont agree with you does not mean I hate you or your country. Not all people are as simple as a stick to only think in black and white.

Art by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 93
RE: Napoleon's Ratings / Wellington's Ratings - 12/31/2006 2:06:58 PM   
HMSWarspite

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joisey

quote:

ORIGINAL: morvwilson

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

I always laugh when passions for ones heroes overcloud the reality of the facts.

Wellington>French army.
Wellington>Napoleon.

Case closed.

I am with ktotwf here. What makes Nappy significant to me is that he was the most recent French leader to actually win some wars! The next previous time I can think of when France won anything was during the time of Henry VII. And that was because the King of England was insane!
After Nappy I have a hard time coming up with a war they won with out major assistance from the USA. Their most famous unit, The French Foriegn Legion, lost to machete weilding Mexican peasants!
The British army in my opinion have never understood how to wage a war on a continental scale. Their performance in the world wars still reflected their strategy in the Napoleonic wars. Nibble around the edges and leave the major work to their allies.

I have to agree with this. While the French won WWI, it was not due to French generalship but to the bravery, courage, and honor of the French rank and file soldiers (The Battle of the Somme comes to mind). Such were the losses incurred by the French during WWI, it appears that such traits were literally bled out of the French gene pool since.

The British Army has always understood how to fight on the continent, given the microscopic size of the army for 99% of history (WW1 is the only time Britain has raised mass continental sized armies). The army was always small because the Navy took the lion's share (and was bigger than most of the rest of Europe for most of the last 300 years). You cannot do other than 'nibble around the edges' when your entire deployable field force is about equivent to a couple of French Corps most of the time, and there are huge overseas possessions to defend (not to mention capture!)

On the subject of WW1, you need to read some history - the French didn't win the war - they fought bravely and were ground down to a far greater extent than the UK (or of course the US). The Somme has a small French involvement; it is a Britiah battle. The one you want is Verdun, which showed the best and the worst of the French Army - it defeated the German army tactically, at the expense of the morale of the army, and was a direct cause of the collapse (mutiny) of 1917. The British, and to an increasing degree the US 'won' the war, the French and Germans fought eachother to a standstill.

I have a cunning plan, My Lord

(in reply to Joisey)
Post #: 94
RE: Napoleon's Ratings / Wellington's Ratings - 2/9/2007 4:33:29 PM   
Roads

The Germans hadn't been fought to a standstill by the spring of 1918. Their offensives showed a lot more imagination and sucess than anything the allies put together. (The fall offensives were against an German army that was in the process of collapse.) Still I agree that the French sucess in WWI was one of negation, the army survived and that was all it needed to do. And the military leadership in WWI, French and British, was abysmal.

As to Wellington being only able to act defensively, I don't understand why this keeps coming up. What about Assaye, Vittoria, and even Porto. When it was called for he was more than able to fight an offensive battle.

(in reply to HMSWarspite)
Post #: 95
RE: Napoleon's Ratings / Wellington's Ratings - 2/12/2007 7:28:11 PM   
Joisey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Please keep this thread on topic. Diversions to current events and politics will get it locked up. Thanks.

Yeah, you know, some actual news about the game would go along way to giving us something to talk about OTHER than current events and politics.

"Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever."
- Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Post #: 96
RE: Napoleon's Ratings / Wellington's Ratings - 2/13/2007 3:03:19 PM   
Hoche

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

I see the ghost of the "Art of Wargaming" forum still haunts matrix. Actually that forum had a funny name because its threads had nothing do with art, wargmaing of even the art of wargaming.

It is a general popular error to suppose the loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for its welfare.
-Edmund Burke

Post #: 97
RE: Napoleon's Ratings / Wellington's Ratings - 3/5/2007 10:35:14 AM   
The Almighty Turtle

Ok than, I am sick of this BS and I HAVE to clean up here or simply go mad. Firstoff, I must say that Wellington was (in my estimation) not as good as Nappy at both their peaks, but he was more careful with being able to not be caught with his pants down and at the same time getting his enemy in the most disadvantegous position possible.

That said, even though he was not on Napoleon's skill level, he WAS quite skilled. Malcolm, you are being a @%@$#) Idiot. You complain about him not taking a fortress because he outnumbered the Fronsay in that area. You are delieratly ignoring the main picture of the Iberian at that time:

1. THE FRENCH HAD MORE MEN IN THE PENNINSULA AT THAT TIME!!!! 2. MOST OF WELLINGTON'S MEN WERE EITHER SPANISH OR PORTUGUESE OF LARGLY ABYSMAL QUALITY AND TRAINING. 3. THE BRITIsH WERE AT LARGE THE ONlY QUALITY TROOPS AND OFFICERS ON THE IBERIAN FOR THE ALLIANCE (not 100%, but sure as hell the vast majority of the time) 4. WELLINGTON WAS UNSURE OF THE LOYALTIES OF MANY SPANIARDS, WHO HAD SO RECENTLY FOUGHT ALONGSIDE THE FRENCH. 5. THIS WAS NOT THE FRENCH ARMY OF THE 1814 CAMPAIGN! THESE MEN WERE WELL TRAINED, EQUIPPED, AND MANY HAD SERVED IN THE WARS OF THE "GLORY YEARS"! IF THEY CAN BRING YOU TO BATTLE ON SOMETHING THAT IS FAVORABLE TO THEM, THEY ARE GOING TO BLAST THE **** OUT OF YOU, BLOW YOU TO BITS, AND IN GENERAL F*CK YOU UP. BADLY.

AND YOU ARE HERE WHINING AND BITCHING ABOUT AN "AGRESSIVE" GENERAL COULD BE AT THE PYRENEES BY 1810. At the Latest.

YOu forget that the Britishmen were only a relatively small portion of the Allied force, most are Spaniards and Portuguese, who are at large abysmal.

And I am also sick about the colonial fanboyism about those who defeated France.

Firstoff, I must say that I am a US Diehard Conservative. I May support some issues that are traditionally Left-wing, like Gay Marriage, but on the whole I am a die-hard neocon and dedicated Bushite. Thus, there is little good will between myself and the French of today.

However, that does not pardon myself from cleaning up some factual errors stated here.

1. The insurgents (the Mexican Nationalists) were outnumbered by the Fronsay. TRUTH: the French and Interventionist forces had around 18,000+ men in Mexico more or less throughout the intervention. The Nationalist numbers are quite a bit more vauge, but it is estimated that there were about 26,000 in arms at the start of the crisis and they recruited at roughly 3,000 per month.

2. The Mexican Nationalists defeated the French in combat. TRUTH: This is likely due to the fact that the only major battle of the intervention known in most of the West is Cinco De Mayo. This was by all means a spectaculor feat of arms. It was also by all means an exception: the majority of battles were won by the French, usually against far superior numbers. People conveniently ignore the true reason that the French went:

The US of A, on the basis of the Monroe doctrine, and afraid of Napoleon III's ambitions, were largely powerless to do anything due to conflicts in the Civil War. However, in the final two years, the US had defeated the CSA and were moving vast amounts of troops South to subdue the South. These troops were conveniently in springing distance of Mexico. The war was also becoming increasingly unpopular in France, and thus there was much support to fall back out. In 1866, the first real troop withdraws took place, leaving Maximillian at the mercy of the Nationalists.

This is not to say Juarez was not a good general, he was, but dispite his numbers he could not really match the training and equipment of the French, and he largly won because he largly kept his head down and moved around to avoid being pinned and destroyed by numerically inferior but strategically and qualitivly superior forces. And he did this. But Mexico ultimatly became free because the French were worried about having their isolated, weary troops being impaled on the bayonettes of the US, who were far closer to the homeland and thus capable of getting reserves into action.

3. The French did nothing in WWII. TRUTH: As much as it pains me to admit, the French, however poor they did in 1940, was largly caused not due to the quality of troops, but to German numerical superiority and agility. The Germans took larger losses than the Allies (despite what German propaganda would lead you to believe) but they used their armor and numerical superiority to demoralize and cut off the French. In translation, the reason for the 1940 disaster was not due to the French being absolute cowards, but due to the fact that French Command was dumber than a bag of bricks and they were still rooted in the olde days of war, and the Germans being NOT as dumb as a bag of bricks, and being able to bring to the field more men than the Allies and more manuverablility. Most of the French surrenders came in situations that are considered "hopeless capituations" were refusing to surrender will in all probaility merely result in no useful strategic or military value and in general serve no effective purpose.

And after 1940, they played a valuble role avenging what had been lost due to Allied and German leaders thinking and planning on two different levels.

The World knows Rommel, the Desert Fox, the man who had sent the dispersed British Army scattering East back to Egypt in spite of numerical disparity, was defeated at the Second Battle of El Alamein, despite his forces getting large renforcements both from Germany and from Nationalist rebels in Africa fighting the Western Allies to the point that he outnumbered the Western Allies.

Few people seem to take any note of the Battle of Bir Hakeim. However, without the latter, it is entirely possible the Western Allies could not have consolidated the line enough to face numerically superior German forces and defeat them in the former.

At Bir Hakeim, Rommel was chasing the Western Allies who he had sent running to Egypt once again, and seemed poised to conquer the land of Pyramids and the Nile. On the road, standing in his path, was the fort of Bir Hakeim, manned by 3,700 soldiers of the Free French. The Germans needed to continue the charge across Africa, and in order to do that, they needed to seize this fort. The French, despite being outrageously outnumbered, were better armed, trained, and in better positions than their German foes, and they held the line with only periodic aid from the RAF and supplies via Western Allied Armor FOR 16 DAYS! The Germans eventually overran the position, but only after great loss of life, and were delayed long enough for Rommel to meet his Waterloo at El Alamein.

And this is but one example out of millions.

The French also participated in Italy, Greece, the retaking of France and the Low Countries, and finally revenge in Germany itself, and the Franco-Benelux Corp raised near Leizpig dealt with more than a few Soviets in the December 1945 Incident.

4. The Viet Mihn defeated the French. TRUTH: The French public defeated the French. The much-hyped VM had massive numerical advantage, aid from China, Russia, and even as far away as Algeria and Egypt. And yet they failed to defeat the French. Instead, they suffered constant setbacks, defeats, and misery. And the Much-acclaimed Vietnamese victory at Dien Bien Phu?

Didn't happen. At least as the current Vietnamese regime said. The Vietnamese took groteque losses in the battle, had much of their experienced soldiers, officers, and foreign aid killed, and even Ho Chi Mihn's brother, Ho Ngo Dihn (or something similar, I will not pretend to be an expert in Vietnamese) killed and he himself barely escaping the same fate when he was personally scouting with a small entourage the airfield.

The result of Dien Bien Phu was largely a signed ceasefire allowing the evacuation of the French troops along with the (quite few) French prisoners taken by the VM. This granted was when the French were on their last forts, but the VM had taken massive losses and were bleed of their best men. Had French reinforcements arrived and counter attacked, history would have been different. Yet Ho Chi Mihn covered the details of the battle up, and largely painted it as a brilliant victory to cover the awful, bloody nature of it. It recieved credence in the West when another Western domocracy tried to destroy the communist monstrocity in Hanoi. In that, the biased and often treasonous media and protesters took the inaccurate Vietnamese assesment of Dien Bien Phu and made it "Fact."
History repeated itself with Algeria, including the movie the Battle for Tunis, which featured the leader of the rebels comparing Allied bombings of towns where armed rebels had set up shop with the deliberate homicide of innocent people who might have even agreed with the struggle against French "Opression," in suicide bombings. The fact that both in Algeria and Vietnam, healthy slave trading networks backed the rebels because those eeevvvill Western Allies tried to impose via force the ideals of "Democracy, freedom, Capitalism, and Liberty." "Freedom" Fighters indeed.

Again, I am not fond of the French, but I just don't think that the stereotype Frenchman does justice to the French. I do laugh like hell at French jokes, and I probably know half of them by heart, but the jokes have more to do with the De Gaullist split in the 60's and with French refusal to combat terror in the now than with any actual realities on how the French fared.

But back on topic.

I have already said tat Wellington was an excellant general, taking on and defeating the French despite numerical inferiority and the fact that most of his soldiers were Spaniards and Portuguese who often were operating NO WHERE NEAR the level the French and English were dueling on. However, I doubt that he could beat Bonny even if he were to rise on his best day.

But Wellington probably paid more attention to detail than Napoleon, at least by the time of the 100 days. He knew that most of his army was not the excellant British 'Scum of the Earth' that he had dealt with in the Iberia, but were Dutch, Belgian, and Germanic troops. The Dutch-Belgians were troops that, despite the fact that many had fought with Bonaparte, were far from keen with him after his annexation of Holland, and thus they were largely considered trustworthy. The Germans, on the other hand, were quite different. Many of them had served with Napoleon, were of quizzical quality, and dubious loyalties.

This is likely the reason that the French went after Wellington instead of the larger but less-than-expert Prussians: To defeat and destroy Wellington's army and thus cause a defection of the non-British troops into French Ranks. And after that, they would deal with the lesser Prussians and crush them with no true conceivable problem, and than get into position to hope to defeat the Austrians and Russians, or get them to sign peace.

The British held the high ground, and had the French been able to seize said ground, the British and Wellington would do the only real choice they had: fall back like hell and abandon Brussels. This is not due to any shortcoming on Wellington's side, but his force was far to small to take the heat of the French without Blucher to act like a pin-cushion and inflict some losses on the French.

As for Napoleon, he was demoralized after 1812, 1813, and 1814, and he openly said in his private writing that he believed that fate had turned against him. That destiny, which he believed favored him since way back in Lodi, had finally deserted him. He was also faced with two opponents: one with a small force but on the whole was expertly led and most of the British, Dutch, and Belgians were well equipped and trained, and commanded the high ground, and the other, the one that was less than expertly led, was lacking in true quality, but could field many men and were not lacking for will to fight. He also faced the decline of the French Army. The men who had beaten the snot out of the Spanish, the Portuguese, the Russians, the Austrians, the Prussians, and the various German states countless times were gone. Finito.

So ultimatly, I would say that the decline of Napoleon and should be based not on any given time but rather on confidence, as in how victories are going etc. And one should also be able to alter the doctrines and quality of the armies under their control.

And, to sum up the Wellington V Nappy situation, here is my take:

Wellington < Napoleon
But
Wellington > French Army

< Message edited by The Almighty Turtle -- 3/5/2007 12:08:17 PM >

(in reply to iamspamus)
Post #: 98
RE: Napoleon's Ratings / Wellington's Ratings - 3/5/2007 10:48:07 AM   
Ursa MAior

Well Turtle the cascadores and most of the portugals were as good as the brits. The spaniards are a different story.

Art by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to The Almighty Turtle)
Post #: 99
RE: Napoleon's Ratings / Wellington's Ratings - 3/5/2007 11:42:53 AM   
The Almighty Turtle

Indeed, the famed devils of the rifle. However, the majority of the Portuguese were not cascadores, and many indeed were of quite poor equipment and training because their docrtines and training were based on experiences in the Portuguese Revolution against Spain, which was quite outdated. Again, the Portuguese were not completely without redeeming value, but than again neither were the Spaniards, and look at what happened when those two tried to take on the French without the English unless either A. The French Commander was an idiot. B. The French Troops were idiots. C. They were being lead by a damn good general, like San Martin. D. A & B, E. All of the Above. It was usually not pretty. There were exceptions, but they were usually not pretty.

My point is that I believe that the Iberian was one of the most difficult strategic situations for England, and yet the British pulled it off. Could the Spaniards and Portuguese achieved victory by themselves? It is possible. But I doubt it VERY VERY VERY HIGHLY. And I doubt that they could have pulled of it anywhere NEAR as well as with Wellington and the British.

< Message edited by The Almighty Turtle -- 3/5/2007 12:00:05 PM >

(in reply to Ursa MAior)
Post #: 100
RE: Napoleon's Ratings / Wellington's Ratings - 3/5/2007 11:57:12 AM   
iamspamus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ursa MAior

Well Turtle the cascadores and most of the portugals were as good as the brits. The spaniards are a different story.

As Turtle says below, this may be true, but only after years of British training and the Cacadores were only a small percent. BTW: I do like the EIA rule on Portuguese morale going up with British training.

Jason

(in reply to Ursa MAior)
Post #: 101
RE: Napoleon's Ratings / Wellington's Ratings - 3/5/2007 12:00:25 PM   
iamspamus

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Almighty Turtle
Big Long Quote snipped

And, to sum up the Wellington V Nappy situation, here is my take:

Wellington < Napoleon
But
Wellington > French Army

Bravo, Turtle. I agree with most of your sentiments. I have learned to separate my thoughts on the French government with my thoughts on the country as a whole (beautiful with GREAT food).

My only beef with your analysis is a small mistake. It was the "Battle for Algiers", not Tunis. I have the movie. It's very good offers some lessons for today.

Jason

Post #: 102
RE: Napoleon's Ratings / Wellington's Ratings - 3/5/2007 12:32:52 PM   
The Almighty Turtle

DOH! Two cities in two different countries/colonies, each of which mirrors the name of said colony, and I manage to get them confused!!! DOH! To be fair to the maker of BfA, it was more than a bit fair than I expected it to be, and it did make an attempt to show the other side. A piss-poor attempt that never went into the ahm.. Moral difficulties of the resistence. But still an attempt.

Again, I agree with your first point about France.

< Message edited by The Almighty Turtle -- 3/5/2007 12:48:06 PM >

(in reply to iamspamus)
Post #: 103
RE: Napoleon's Ratings / Wellington's Ratings - 3/5/2007 1:33:38 PM   
Ursa MAior

quote:

Indeed, the famed devils of the rifle. However, the majority of the Portuguese were not cascadores, and many indeed were of quite poor equipment and training because their docrtines and training were based on experiences in the Portuguese Revolution against Spain, which was quite outdated. Again, the Portuguese were not completely without redeeming value, but than again neither were the Spaniards, and look at what happened when those two tried to take on the French without the English unless either A. The French Commander was an idiot. B. The French Troops were idiots. C. They were being lead by a damn good general, like San Martin. D. A & B, E. All of the Above. It was usually not pretty. There were exceptions, but they were usually not pretty.

My point is that I believe that the Iberian was one of the most difficult strategic situations for England, and yet the British pulled it off. Could the Spaniards and Portuguese achieved victory by themselves? It is possible. But I doubt it VERY VERY VERY HIGHLY. And I doubt that they could have pulled of it anywhere NEAR as well as with Wellington and the British.

I stand corrected.

Art by the amazing Dixie

Post #: 104
RE: Napoleon's Ratings / Wellington's Ratings - 3/5/2007 8:28:57 PM   
anarchyintheuk

quote:

This is likely the reason that the French went after Wellington instead of the larger but less-than-expert Prussians: To defeat and destroy Wellington's army and thus cause a defection of the non-British troops into French Ranks. And after that, they would deal with the lesser Prussians and crush them with no true conceivable problem, and than get into position to hope to defeat the Austrians and Russians, or get them to sign peace.

Napoleon went after the Prussians first. Their main army (3 out of their 4 corps) was the most forward at Ligny and, therefore, easiest to hit. The Brits had what would best be described as only advanced guard at Quatre Bras. Both Ligny and Quatre Bras are about equidistant to Charleroi, Napoleon's point of concentration.

Post #: 105
RE: Napoleon's Ratings / Wellington's Ratings - 3/5/2007 9:46:55 PM   
The Almighty Turtle

Yes, I KNOW he went after the Prussians first, but that was only to isolate the British-led force, not to destroy the Prussians. His main target was to keep the Prussians pinned until he could deal with Wellington and than with the Anglo-Dutch gone, he would destroy the relativly mediocre Prussians.

(in reply to anarchyintheuk)
Post #: 106
RE: Napoleon's Ratings / Wellington's Ratings - 3/6/2007 8:26:58 PM   
anarchyintheuk

Maybe we're speaking past each other. My only point was that Napoleon hit the Prussians first because they were forward deployed and the most threatening. 3 out of their 4 corps were concentrated close to Charleroi, while the British were still somewhat scattered. Had the situation been reversed he would have attacked the Brits first. The strategy of the central position doesn't really allow the luxury of choosing which force to hit, you have to hit the most threatening.

Post #: 107
RE: Napoleon's Ratings / Wellington's Ratings - 3/7/2007 3:05:55 AM   
The Almighty Turtle

Yes Indeed, but it was mentioned in his orders and personal writing that he wished to have the Anglo-Dutch "removed" (as he said) before taking on the Prussians if at all possible, as amazingly enough, he believed that Blucher was a better leader than Wellington. To be fair to Blucher, he was not a major pushover, but he was not as good as Wellington. And yes, Central Position requires the elimination or at least removal of the bigger threat before decimating anybody else, hence Ligny, but he was overall trying to eliminate the Anglo-Dutch first THAN deal the Prussians their fatal blow.

(in reply to anarchyintheuk)
Post #: 108
RE: Napoleon's Ratings / Wellington's Ratings - 3/7/2007 3:37:25 AM   
Murat

Well I am not correcting Turtle in all of his off topic errors, but Erik, you are not enforcing what you said you would enforce. Please lock the topic or allow us to refute blatant inaccuracies, even if they are off topic inaccuracies.

Post #: 109
RE: Napoleon's Ratings / Wellington's Ratings - 3/7/2007 8:21:30 PM   
The Almighty Turtle

"Blatant Inaccuracies?" pray tell me WTF you are talking about. the massive post above was two things: A. A refutation of several REAL blatant inaccuracies I noticed while browsing this forum, and its primary purpose, B: A redirection of the subject to get back onto the topic of Wellington V Napoleon, which I also added on. Pray tell me what "Blatant Inaccuracies" I have written, please. I invite you. I notice that you have not posted a refutation yet. If, for some reason, the MODS are not allowing you to post, than please, MODS, I would LOVE to hear what he has to say.

Though, correct me if I am wrong, I believe that the reason you have yet to post an actual refutation in logic is simply because you haven't, and that myself and some other people are actually getting the debate BACK on track, instead of the illogical and moronic shouting match that it was previously.

I await a logical and reasoned out debate. I EXPECT it.

< Message edited by The Almighty Turtle -- 3/7/2007 8:39:46 PM >

(in reply to Murat)
Post #: 110
RE: Napoleon's Ratings / Wellington's Ratings - 3/8/2007 7:33:45 PM   
Murat

quote:

"Blatant Inaccuracies?" pray tell me WTF you are talking about. the massive post above was two things: A. A refutation of several REAL blatant inaccuracies I noticed while browsing this forum, and its primary purpose, B: A redirection of the subject to get back onto the topic of Wellington V Napoleon, which I also added on. Pray tell me what "Blatant Inaccuracies" I have written, please. I invite you. I notice that you have not posted a refutation yet. If, for some reason, the MODS are not allowing you to post, than please, MODS, I would LOVE to hear what he has to say.

Though, correct me if I am wrong, I believe that the reason you have yet to post an actual refutation in logic is simply because you haven't, and that myself and some other people are actually getting the debate BACK on track, instead of the illogical and moronic shouting match that it was previously.

I await a logical and reasoned out debate. I EXPECT it.

Well then feel free to cite your sources for 1 through 4 above and use real ones not, 'well my buddy told me his revisionist history'. Here is a brief and uncited summary of France: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/text/france.html something like that but cited would be great.

< Message edited by Murat -- 3/8/2007 8:08:13 PM >

Post #: 111
RE: Napoleon's Ratings / Wellington's Ratings - 3/8/2007 9:32:08 PM   
The Almighty Turtle

OK than, you call them blatant inaccuracies because I did not cite sources????? I am not the best at gathering and citing sources and I will not attempt to pretend otherwise. However, that does not mean that you cannot open up another internet window and LOOK IT UP! That maybe a little bit rubbing off from my day job, but pray tell me why you cannot.

And also, you fail to remember that the first part of my post was primarily to mop up the quite-more-than-a-few blatant inaccuracies that had been posted previously, and that the second part was to continue the actual Wellington V Napoleon from where it stopped when the finger-pointing, shouting maroons hijacked and took over.

Your post acts like the entire second part of the post does not even exist, and you have not said ONE WORD to respond even in very very LEAST to it. That, considering the fact that is to date yet the most recent full-scale argument that is on the ACTUAL SUBJECT does kind of wonder if you read it.

I await response.

(in reply to Murat)
Post #: 112
RE: Napoleon's Ratings / Wellington's Ratings - 3/9/2007 7:38:58 AM   
ktotwf

Quit hijacking my thread with your ****ing pissing contests

Post #: 113
RE: Napoleon's Ratings / Wellington's Ratings - 3/9/2007 10:48:42 PM   
The Almighty Turtle

I agree, Ktotwf, and I do not wish to dally on the subject of France's Post Napoleonic Wars history here anyway, but I just wanted to correct a few things, and, as you can see, the second part of the post was GETTING BACK TO THE TOPIC!!! So, believe me, I am as eager to tie up the loose ends and get back on topic as you are. If not more. However, some people would apparently prefer this remain a ****ing contest by refusing to continue debating on the subject. Don't blame me, I don't wish to remain off-topic, and I want to get back to the actual topic by YESTERDAY, but I wonder if it will turn out that way.

(in reply to ktotwf)
Post #: 114
RE: Napoleon's Ratings / Wellington's Ratings - 3/12/2007 8:49:29 AM   
Murat

Well if you wanted to focus on this topic then you should have stfu and stuck to it instead of going off on your unsupported statements. As for the main topic, this topic has actually been brought up before and I commented basically pointing out that Nappy's rating should not even be decreased near end game since Grouchy cost him Waterloo.  I also pointed out that Wellington is overrated, most likely due to Waterloo, which was due to many factors other than his leadership.  Read all 19 pages (so far) of this forum and you will see that this thread and many others like it have been discussed multiple times.

Post #: 115
RE: Napoleon's Ratings / Wellington's Ratings - 3/12/2007 10:53:18 PM   
The Almighty Turtle

WTF!!!!

YOU STILL REFUSE TO ACKNOWLEDGE THAT I DID CONTINUE THE MAIN TOPIC, AND THAT THE FIRST PART WAS MAINLY AGAINST THE MANY INNACURRACIES THAT HAD SPROUTED UP THAT I FELT I HAD TO ADDRESS! AND YES, I DID NOT "GO OFF ON MY UNSUPPORTED STATEMENTS," AS HAD ONLY THE FIRST PART BEEN PUT OUT, I WOULD AGREE, IT IS OFF TOPIC, BUT I DID PU THE SECOND PART OUT AS A CONTINUATION OF THE TOPIC, IN CASE YOU FOR WHATEVER REASON CAN SEE 20/20 ON THE FIRST PART BUT MYSTERIOUSLY BECOME TEMPORARILY BLIND WHEN THE TIME COMES TO READ PART 2!!!!!!

THAN YOU SLANDER ME BY SAYING THAT I DID NOT CONTINUE THE TOPIC WHEN I OBVIOUSLY DID, AND REGARD ANYTHING THAT I SAY AS FALSE EVEN WHEN IT IS TRUE, AND CONTINUE TO LIVE WITH YOUR FINGERS POINTEDLY SHOVED IN YOUR EARS!

WAKE UP!!!!

THE WORLD DOES NOT REVOLVE AROUND YOU AND YOUR PRIDE, MURAT!

I was more than willing to debate this rationally, but with such slander, I believe that I do have reason to be enraged.

The ONLY thing we can agree on is the idea of Napoleon's skill limit. And even then not exactly.

I can accept that alone,as I get along every day with people who share opposing viewpoints than my own.

HOWEVER, THAT IS ONE THING! SLANDER IS QUITE SEPERATE!

I have stated as to why Wellington was skilled, and ackowledged that he was not on the same level as Napoleon but still very good nonetheless, and that without Blucher his force was too small to take on the Emperor.

HOWEVER, YOU REFUSE TO ARGUE RATIONALLY AND INSTEAD ATTACK ME USING UNFOUNDED, FALSE, AND MALICIOUS INSULTS AND SLANDER!

IF YOU CANNOT ARGUE RATIONALLY, THAN GET THE F*CK OFF THE FORUM!!!!!!

< Message edited by The Almighty Turtle -- 3/12/2007 10:54:07 PM >

(in reply to Murat)
Post #: 116
RE: Napoleon's Ratings / Wellington's Ratings - 3/12/2007 11:03:18 PM   
Ursa MAior

Cool down Turtle!

Art by the amazing Dixie

Post #: 117
RE: Napoleon's Ratings - 3/13/2007 6:20:28 AM   
Titi

Nothing new on this forum except this old post. Just read it again from the beginning to understand how we are here and notice :

1) What's the use to continue to post when the guy starting the thread type to finish another post : "And I say THAT is case closed."

2) When you're asking that kind of original question that will result in only subjective and hearted answer on this kind of forum, you only will have the same result as a bad street survey. Very few interest as you don't know the depth and the source of the knowledge of the guys replying. And heart talking rather than reason. Everything needed to start a flame war with very little more to add.

3) Must give credit for Murat to have the good idea of giving the origin of his view : http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/text/france.html But that said, if you have the first logical step, you completely missed the second : assest the value of the origin. as i won't trust Ben Laden to introduce me to islam, i won't trust your biased site nor the original french web site to have a complete neutral view of the subject. However, was a good laugh to read and another one to thinking of writing the same for the US. Hum, just read some scholar manual or an encyclopedia to have a correct idea.

4) Thanks to Ursa Major for admitting he made an error. It's becoming a rare occurence on those forums that turns in flame wars and where shouting louder is more easy when you've it wrong.

5) And finally to come back to the subject, i noticed one point that i feel is missing in the current rules of EiA. Someone wrote and i have the feeling he's right (but no reference to proof it) that Napoleon as a chief of state had more than just military concerns when on the battlefield. He also had a political schedule to follow that other generals like Wellington don't.
It's partially reflected by the extra PP earned or lost in combat and the decreasing tactical and stategical value coming with the time that made him a 4-4-6 in 1813 like 1815.
If really Nappy was trying to have quick victories to go back to Paris, i think that a rule like this is needed : "If at the end of the reinforcement phase, Napoleon is on map outside of French home country and while French political status isn't on the dominant zone, substract one PP from french."
Starting when and with or without the reduction of the tactical and strategical rating is open as i don't have any preset idea on this.

What do you rhink of this last point?

(in reply to Ursa MAior)
Post #: 118
RE: Napoleon's Ratings - 3/13/2007 4:54:12 PM   
qgaliana

quote:

ORIGINAL: Titi

5) And finally to come back to the subject, i noticed one point that i feel is missing in the current rules of EiA. Someone wrote and i have the feeling he's right (but no reference to proof it) that Napoleon as a chief of state had more than just military concerns when on the battlefield. He also had a political schedule to follow that other generals like Wellington don't.
It's partially reflected by the extra PP earned or lost in combat and the decreasing tactical and stategical value coming with the time that made him a 4-4-6 in 1813 like 1815.
If really Nappy was trying to have quick victories to go back to Paris, i think that a rule like this is needed : "If at the end of the reinforcement phase, Napoleon is on map outside of French home country and while French political status isn't on the dominant zone, substract one PP from french."
Starting when and with or without the reduction of the tactical and strategical rating is open as i don't have any preset idea on this.

Not sure it needs to be done. I think the governments had more than enough beaurocracy to run unattended, or not enough difference to matter for the game. It might make for an interesting house rule.

(digression) I'm in Montreal too Titi - do you play the board game regularly?

(in reply to Titi)
Post #: 119
RE: Napoleon's Ratings / Wellington's Ratings - 3/14/2007 4:09:49 AM   
Murat

quote:

THAN YOU SLANDER ME BY SAYING THAT I DID NOT CONTINUE THE TOPIC WHEN I OBVIOUSLY DID, AND REGARD ANYTHING THAT I SAY AS FALSE EVEN WHEN IT IS TRUE, AND CONTINUE TO LIVE WITH YOUR FINGERS POINTEDLY SHOVED IN YOUR EARS!

[1] You obviously do not know what slander is. [2] Where did I say that you did not continue the topic? I only said you had inaccuracies in your off topic portion (for example, France claims double what you list for their deployment in Mexico)

quote:

I was more than willing to debate this rationally, but with such slander, I believe that I do have reason to be enraged.

Apparently not since you had no sources and specifically stated:

quote:

I am not the best at gathering and citing sources and I will not attempt to pretend otherwise.

TITI:

[3] Yeah I thought it was funny too. It was just weird that was out there since it basically summarized my points.

[5] The -1 pp would be too damaging I think. An argument can be made for the other sovereigns too, although I do not think Russia is going to mind leaving Alex at home :)

Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> RE: Napoleon's Ratings / Wellington's Ratings Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI