Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Pursue The Pennant

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Pursue The Pennant Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Pursue The Pennant - 12/19/2006 7:22:24 PM   
kwik

Any of you guys ever try this game?I remember playin it back in the late 80s.Came with dice and player cards for all the major league players.The box it shipped in could be used to copy stadiums (you had a grass turf layout and an artificial turf,then you put down the warning track and finally the walls.It looked pretty cool actually.
Playing the game was a tedious process right from rolling the dice to decide weather conditions to rolling dice to figure outcome of fly balls to the wall, leaping abilty etc.Take you 2 hours or more to play out a game.These games like PurSim and OOTP put me in mind of that game only computer does all the work.
Post #: 1
RE: Pursue The Pennant - 12/19/2006 9:09:28 PM   
Amaroq

I never played that one, no, but Avalon Hill's Statis-Pro Baseball was similar, with the 'Fast Action Card' mechanic. Rather than rolling dice, you flipped cards to get the results of each type of action; even had a nifty way of bringing out rare play results. A game (solo, once you knew the rules) could be played in 30-45 minutes; head-to-head it was closer to an hour.

(in reply to kwik)
Post #: 2
RE: Pursue The Pennant - 12/19/2006 10:49:52 PM   
VanScoy

Pursue the Pennant on the computer went on to become Diamond-Mind baseball, probably the best pure baseball simulator on the market, but it does not have any computer GM features, only ingame AI and lineup AI

(in reply to kwik)
Post #: 3
RE: Pursue The Pennant - 12/20/2006 4:37:16 PM   
Sandman62

As a kid I played APBA and STRAT-O-MATIC as well as the following games for a while: SUPERSTAR BASEBALL, AH Statis-pro, Dave Koch Baseball, Extra Innings, and Replay Baseball(there were a few others but I don't remember all of them at this time). I bought PTP in the early 1980's but never really got into it because it simply took too long to play a game.

I was one of the first purchasers of what is now DMB. I still have the 1986 season disk and the original PTP computer game disk but I had a 5 1/4 drive at the time and, well you know the rest of that story.... I purchased season disks throughout 1994 and then decided that I had stuck too much into the game with the annual disks and the numerous upgrades. I do have DMB 9.0 for windows but have never played it. Just bought it a few years ago when it came out because I have always upgraded.... I have figured that with the upgrades at a whopping 49.95 a piece and the disks at an average of 25.00 that I have spent over $1000 over the years on PTP products. PTP does allow you to create your own players and you could create your own disks but it would be very time consuming.

I now simply stay with Puresim and OOTP6, but the OOTP series is going into a direction I do not want to go into and I plan on staying with PS as long as Shaun does not lose focus as to what the game should be. I want a simple, career mode baseball game that gives me options to create my own fictional universe. I don't want to have to send scouts to Zimbabwe( or any other country) to find the next great ball player or micro manage my minors.....

(in reply to VanScoy)
Post #: 4
RE: Pursue The Pennant - 12/20/2006 8:41:45 PM   
Amaroq

Sand, I thought I was complete in my knowledge of the genre, but you've got me beat hands-down...

(in reply to Sandman62)
Post #: 5
RE: Pursue The Pennant - 12/21/2006 2:36:14 AM   
Sandman62

quote:

ORIGINAL: Amaroq

Sand, I thought I was complete in my knowledge of the genre, but you've got me beat hands-down...

Thanks for the comment. I grew up playing APBA in the 60's and just moved to other games as I seen them advertised in BASEBALL DIGEST or SPORT magazine. Damn, I sure was a nerd back then.......

Also if anyone remembers a baseball sim called My Little Baseball Simulator (MLB Sim) that was on a few bulletin boards in the early 1990's that was mine. I created it for fun and it was accurate but the bulletin board made me pull the game when they received complaints from MLB that I was using copywrite data. The game was freeware. I wish I still had the code it was written in QBasic 4.5. Damn, I guess I was a nerd back then too......

(in reply to Amaroq)
Post #: 6
RE: Pursue The Pennant - 12/21/2006 11:37:29 PM   
legendsport2k

I had PTP back in the mid 80s. Man, I loved that game. Like Sandman, I bought the original PTP (which later became DMB) on the PC in the late 80s. Thinking about those giant 5 1/4" disks makes me chuckle - we've come a long way since then.

I wish I still had the PTP game - I do have the entire 1989 card set, but lost my game board, charts and such a long time ago. Sometimes I pull out the cards and look at them. My friends and I had our own league, we'd get together and have marathon PTP sessions. Moved over to the computer later - no internet then either (good thing we all lived close to each other).

I'm excited about how PS is shaping up - I've been a longtime DMB and OOTP devotee, but as others have said DMB is a whole other kettle of fish (no career play - but outstanding as a baseball sim) and OOTP is veering off in a direction that I hope doesn't completely kill what was a great game.

Check out the Legendsport Leagues - Remaking Baseball History including GGB Redux - the first Puresim historical online league

(in reply to kwik)
Post #: 7
RE: Pursue The Pennant - 12/22/2006 6:26:46 PM   
torque561

I played pursue the pennant and it was a favorite. I would cut up the charts and put them in a 3 ring binder, made for faster play. Great game, I played DMB too, puresim is my fave though.

(in reply to legendsport2k)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Pursue The Pennant Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI