Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: English Generals

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: English Generals Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: English Generals - 3/4/2007 2:37:37 AM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: ktotwf

No, Wellington was not a better General than Napoleon. He was a different General, in the sense that Napoleon was the Emperor and could do pretty much whatever he wished. Wellington always had political masters to answer to...

Put Wellington in Napoleon's place...could Wellington have done the things that Napoleon did? I sincerely doubt it. Wellington wasn't a meglomaniac pursuing his "star". He wouldn't have even tried the things Napoleon did.

Could Napoleon have done the things Wellington did? He did a couple times. No, he didn't. Napoleon commanded the French Army, the terror of Europe and probably it's most potent military machine. He never had to fight against it. Wellington did so successfully for 8 years...., with a polygot force and inferior numbers most of the time.

Wellington is just overrated, and mostly because of Waterloo, which is itself ironically overrated. True, Napoleon hardly showed any competence on the field at Waterloo..., but that was hardly Wellington's fault.

(in reply to ktotwf)
Post #: 151
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: English Generals Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI