Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Stepwise decreasing hit probability?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Stepwise decreasing hit probability? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Stepwise decreasing hit probability? - 8/8/2000 7:18:00 PM   
JR

I have seen that sometimes I put the cursor over a possible target and get a hit probability off say 15%, but if I choose a similar target only one or two hexes further away I get somthing like 2-5%. Does this mean that the probability to hit decreases in steps as the range increase? If this is the case, where can I find out where these steps are? And if so, does the penetration power also decrease in steps? (From what is said in the manual I geuss that is not the case, but I ask just to make sure.) JR

Post #: 1
- 8/8/2000 7:30:00 PM   
renwor

quote:

Originally posted by JR: I have seen that sometimes I put the cursor over a possible target and get a hit probability off say 15%, but if I choose a similar target only one or two hexes further away I get somthing like 2-5%. Does this mean that the probability to hit decreases in steps as the range increase? JR
No I don't think so. But there are number of influences to the TO HIT probability and it's them in action most likely. Isn't the 15% target the one you fired upon last time? Your current target? Are all targets moving and in similar speed? Are there any smoke affects in between targets? Are all targets of the same type/size? Aren't the farther away target out of range for your primary weapon? Is there same surface under the targets?
quote:

Originally posted by JR: And if so, does the penetration power also decrease in steps? (From what is said in the manual I geuss that is not the case, but I ask just to make sure.) JR
Again IMHO no, that is 1step = 1hex. Renwor [This message has been edited by renwor (edited August 08, 2000).]

(in reply to JR)
Post #: 2
- 8/8/2000 9:03:00 PM   
JR

quote:

Originally posted by renwor: Again IMHO no, that is 1step = 1hex. Renwor
It is quite defint not a question about target lock. And I have seen it often, and it does not seem to be result of smoke, target movment ect. JR

(in reply to JR)
Post #: 3
- 8/8/2000 10:34:00 PM   
BA Evans

The faster the target is moving the lower your chances to hit it are. The faster you are moving, the lower your chances are to hit everything. The bigger the target is, the easier it is to hit. Each unit has a size characteristic. The farther away the target is, the lower your chances are to hit it. Gun range is broken into percentages of max. range. It seems like 25% and 50% of max. range are important. If your target is 1 hex OVER 50% of max. range your chances are a lot lower than if the target was 1 hex UNDER 50% of max. range. If the target is in cover it is a bit harder to hit. If the target is fortified it is quite a bit harder to hit. If a tank is hull down, it is a lot harder to hit. If an infantry squad is pinned, they are much harder to hit. They are keeping their heads down. On the other hand, if you can coax a infantry squad to shot at one of your units, they are usually much easier to hit. This is because they are sticking their heads up and shooting at you, thus presenting themselves as targets. If you have already shot at a target, it will be a lot easier to hit. See manual for exact percentages, but your first shot at a target has a 40% penalty to hit. The second only has a 20% penalty to hit. Third or more, have no penalty. This is why the last unit you shot at with opportunity fire, has a much better percent to hit than a target you haven't shot at before. I am sure that there are many other factors, but hopefully I have touched on a few of the basics. The manual has a pretty good discussion on this topic as well. BA Evans

(in reply to JR)
Post #: 4
- 8/9/2000 12:11:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

Check out the discussion on Range Finder in the Manual. It causes drops of *0.66, *0.5, *0.33 and *0.25 at range intervals related to the Range Finder value.

(in reply to JR)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Stepwise decreasing hit probability? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI