Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 8/10/2000 3:56:00 PM   
renwor

quote:

Originally posted by victorhauser: Attack aircraft are modeled abstractly in all SP games. Dive bombers were never particularly effective against moving targets smaller than warships. Most enemy AFVs killed by aircraft were knocked out by MGs, cannon, or rockets
I don't want to create a tankbuster from Ju 87B, I just think, that that single 500kg bomb from stuka should be more accurate, than any of He111 bombs. But I don't propose stuka should be able to take out a moving tank on regular basis.
quote:

I don't see a pressing need to re-model air attacks since dive bombers are usually given a higher FC rating to begin with.
higher FC rating? So what? And a MG or two to use with it! FC rating really doesn't influence bombing, just strafing. So it's good fighters have generally higher FC rating , than bombers. To make dive bombers more vulnerable to AA fire??? I am rather clueless in this aspect. Long straight, relatively slow dive doesn't really seem as a good evasive maneuver, but no accurate bombing run is. Maybe lower speed off divebombers? But then again, is speed a factor in computing AA fire "to hit"? Aw, one more thing: Did you notice the shadows for planes? Where is the sun at the moment? I guess SPWaW is a game made for kiwis Renwor. "Dive bomb with a nuke? Whats the point?" [This message has been edited by renwor (edited August 10, 2000).] [This message has been edited by renwor (edited August 10, 2000).]

(in reply to renwor)
Post #: 31
- 8/15/2000 4:09:00 AM   
Grumble

The vulnerability to AAA has to do with type of weapon. Level-bombers (B25/He111) NORMALLY flew at 8000+ AGL to avoid small arms/MG's and 20-40mm guns. Dive bombers due to their preferred mode of attack have to fly through that threat ring, relatively slowly, to deliver their ordnance. Part of what contributed to the effectiveness of the Stuka etal, was the lack of suitable AAA defenses on the part of its targets. One of the reasons the FW190 took over from it was its speed over the target, combined with an awesome armament. Less time in the threat, higher probability that you're flying home-instead of walking. Plus ca change: The reason NATO aircraft in Allied Force bombed at 16,000+ was to avoid, yup, the gun threat; and the IR SAM ring.

"...these go up to eleven."
Nigel Tufnel

(in reply to renwor)
Post #: 32
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI