Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The historical test

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> RE: The historical test Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The historical test - 1/3/2007 10:34:57 PM   
chris0827

quote:

ORIGINAL: elmo3

quote:

ORIGINAL: Berkut

one thing that is interesting to note is that the blockade was effective even without full coverage by the US Navy. Simply the threat of having your ship and goods siezed killed most international trade with the South, since most shippers were unwilling to risk their fortunes on such an endeavor...especially when there was plenty of money to be amde shipping goods to and from the North anyway!

You are either forgetting or ignoring blockade runners. From Battle Cry of Freedom on blockade runners:

"They shipped out half a million bales of cotton and brought in a million pairs of shoes, half a million rifles, a thousand tons of gunpowder, several hundred cannon, and so on."

That sounds like quite a bit of trade to me.

It was only a faction of what it would've been without the blockade

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 181
RE: The historical test - 1/3/2007 10:38:27 PM   
Jonathan Palfrey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Twotribes
Didn't Farragut have his Flagship sunk under him? I know at least one main naval Combatant ( as I recall) went down due to "Torpedoes".

According to Wikipedia: Farragut's flagship, the USS Hartford, ran aground at one point and was set on fire by a burning barge, but managed to recover.

New Orleans itself was undefended, but getting past the forts and the various obstacles doesn't seem to have been easy. It was a major operation.

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 182
RE: The historical test - 1/3/2007 10:38:40 PM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: regularbird

Eric I have used the power setting quite frequently and the problem is that it effects any new buildings as well. For example If I build a new RR station I only get 3RR pts, or 2 research pts out of a research facility. I am currently trying to mod a scenario that starts the south out with very little but lets me build to a known quantity. But I agree with mike why not make the start point historically and let the power settings be for players who dont care for the historical scenarios.

This would have been great. Have one "This is the Real American Civil War" scenario for the Historically inclined..., and another titled "The South Shall Rise Again" with a more "fantasized" and "equalized" base for the "Balanced Game" fans. With both having "adjustments" available, everyone could find something they liked.

(in reply to regularbird)
Post #: 183
RE: The historical test - 1/4/2007 2:03:47 AM   
Queeg

quote:

ORIGINAL: regularbird

Eric I have used the power setting quite frequently and the problem is that it effects any new buildings as well. For example If I build a new RR station I only get 3RR pts, or 2 research pts out of a research facility. I am currently trying to mod a scenario that starts the south out with very little but lets me build to a known quantity. But I agree with mike why not make the start point historically and let the power settings be for players who dont care for the historical scenarios.

I haven't seen that effect from the Power settings. The Power settings, as I understand it, just affect resource production for each side. Do you mean the Difficulty settings?

The Power settings seem to me to provide quite a shift in income. I recently started a game at +3 for the Union and -3 for the Confederacy (First Sergeant level, which provides no other bonuses). The starting incomes for each side were:

Money = 393(US) 144(CSA)
Labor = 134(US) 15(CSA)
Iron = 91(US) 5(CSA)
Horses = 44(US) 7(CSA)

That seems like a pretty healthy Union advantage to me.

< Message edited by Queeg -- 1/4/2007 2:13:44 AM >

Post #: 184
RE: The historical test - 1/4/2007 5:55:04 AM   
Icelandair

Do the advantage settings affect combat?  I'd like to affect the economies but not make it like the difficulty in Rome Total War where peasants can beat up Roman Legionaires on the highest level.

(in reply to Queeg)
Post #: 185
RE: The historical test - 1/4/2007 6:18:55 AM   
Erik Rutins

I did a first test tonight based on the suggested parameters to see how it would go and to give myself some practice. Spring ends when Summer starts on June 21st, so I gave myself until Early June 1862. This was played with the Beta update we're currently testing, which I won't go into much detail on and also used an updated July 1861 scenario which will be included in that update.

First, I would add "Faster Sieges" to those parameters I suggested as a good way to keep on the historical timeline. I was able to get close and I think on a replay I'll be right on the money, but this option would have made it easier on a first try.

I focused on Mustering and careful Impressment to build up my troops and economy. I built few camps, relying on new brigades to fill out the ranks. My ending strengths included various losses to disease, battle, marching, supply attrition, etc. It's probably fair to assume that I raised between 40%-50% more troops than are currently in the field, particularly since the time from early February to early June was very busy in terms of battles and sieges.

Here's where I stand at the end of the Early June, 1862 turn:

In the Northeast region, near Washington:

Rosencrans leads the US 1st Army with 3 Corps and 6 Divisions, totalling 56k troops
- Also includes 1 Artillery brigade with 10 pdr Parrots and several units with the Artillery attribute
Meade leads the US 2nd Army with 1 Corps and 3 Divisions, totalling 37k troops
- Includes 2 Artillery brigades with 10 pdr Parrots
4 Divisions under Hancock, Sedgwick and Buell in Harrisburg, totalling 55k troops
In the fortifications for Maryland and the Potomac: 43k troops

All infantry brigades had at least muskets. The majority had Minies, Springfields or Improved Springfields

Total troops in the Northeast: 148k mobile troops + 43k garrison troops = 191k Total

In my test game, unfortunately Kentucky went with the CSA. This caused me a number of problems in meeting the goals and timelines. I decided to assume that attacking Kentucky would be the equivalent of the planned march on Tennessee from Kentucky had it gone for me. The loss of Horses also was a reason for my lack of emphasis on Camps. In addition to that, it took a few months for me to smack my head and realize I'd mistakenly set some cities that produced far more Horses to produce Iron instead and was handicapping my economy as a result.

So, in the Kentucky Region, I besieged and took Louisville. I'll sub this for Fort Henry (which I would have beseiged had Kentucky gone for the Union). I went on to besiege Frankfort and Lexington with Frankfort likely to fall in 2-3 more turns.

US 2nd Corps (Reynolds) besieging Frankfort with 32k Troops, including several units with artillery and engineer attributes
19th Division (Fremont) with 12k besieging Lexington
1 brigade (1k) garrisoned in Louisville

Total troops in Kentucky Region: 45k

The West:

I took Missouri entirely and advanced into Arkansas. I besieged and took Memphis and have begun to advance down the river, but had to pause in both cases for resupply and securing supply lines.

US 1st Corps (Pope) with 28k, including 1 Siege Artillery unit with 13lb Mortars and 1 Cavalry Brigade in the Tenn-Miss river region, guarding Memphis
1 Brigade (1k) garrisoned in Memphis
8th Division (Lyon) with 14k in Ozarks, Arkansas

Total troops in the West: 43k

Recall my note above about losses. I probably hit my peak strength in Jan/Feb 1862 and it's been a steady decline since, though the initial wave of new musters for 1862 started to alleviate that. Pope's Corps, for example was up to nearly 45k when I sent it in, as was Reynolds' Corps in Kentucky. The upshot is that I had over 100k troops engaged in the Kentucky - Mississippi area when the Spring campaign started.

New Orleans:

Although I would never do this myself (because the AI is never dumb enough to not garrison NO and its forts), I tried it for the purposes of the test. I created a Corps under Butler with a full 45k men and shipped it from NY harbor to NO. Here's where I hit some trouble, likely due to the fact that my skill at amphibious attacks in FoF is very low (i.e. I last tried one months ago). The journey took longer than expected, my supply level for the Corps was set too low. As a result, they took attrition losses en route and more after landing. They are now down to three divisions with a total 15k effectives. They have New Orleans' Ft. St. Phillip besieged, and it looks like they'll take it given more time. However, the AI already counter-attacked with a division and while my Corps held, we exchanged some losses that they can ill afford.

In other words, the invasion of New Orleanse is a big screw-up, as it might have been historically if the CSA had a reasonable garrison there and the Union hadn't had a good naval commander. However, I did prove that I could ship 45k (poorly led) additional troops down to NO in the timeline provided, while doing those other tasks. If it had been up to me, I would have used them to bolster my forces near Washington to allow a more effective attack into Virginia as part of my Spring campaign, or sent them to Kentucky to speed the campaign there, instead of shipping them across the map.

In the end result, I would guess that I raised an army of about 500k for Spring 1862 of which I then lost about 150k through various causes.

Now, let's talk Navy:

I embarked on a naval expansion program in addition to all my land unit recruitment.

Two fleets are in the New Orleans area. One is blockading NO, with 2x 10 Ships and 5x 10 Frigates (this is the fleet that brought Butler's Corps to NO from NY). The other is blockading Mobile River with 1x 10 Ships and 1 x 10 Frigates.
One fleet is in the Virginian Atlantic with 3x 10 Ships and 1x 10 Frigates, blockading Norfolk
One fleet is in the Mid-Atlantic with 2x 10 Ships and 2x 10 Frigates, blockading Wilmington
One fleet is in the Carolinian Atlantic with 2x 10 Ships and 1x 10 Frigates, blockading the Savannah River.

This totals to Five Fleets, 10 x 10 Ships (100 Ships), 10 x 10 Frigates (100 Frigates)
I have three more Ships (x10) in production at the moment.

Edited to add: About half my Ships are upgraded to Dahlgrens, also all of my front-line forts are upgraded to decent weaponry with several also having upgraded attributes

Ok, that's my report from my first test as a player of likely average skill, with the settings I recommended. I'm pretty confident that with the addition of Faster Sieges and a little more practice on my part, I can do significantly better. Getting Kentucky to join the Union instead of the CSA in my next test would also be a big help!

Regards,

- Erik

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 1/4/2007 6:50:04 AM >

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Queeg)
Post #: 186
RE: The historical test - 1/4/2007 6:19:38 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Icelandair
Do the advantage settings affect combat?  I'd like to affect the economies but not make it like the difficulty in Rome Total War where peasants can beat up Roman Legionaires on the highest level.

The "power" settings only affect the economies.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Icelandair)
Post #: 187
RE: The historical test - 1/4/2007 6:23:21 AM   
Berkut

It may sound like a lot, but in reality it is minor compared to the amount of trade the South was engaging in prior to the war.

And the cost was exhorbinant. The risks associated (and the low supply and high demand) meant that the South paid dearly for those supplies - far, far above the cost they would have paid absent a blockade.

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 188
RE: The historical test - 1/4/2007 7:07:22 AM   
regularbird

The "power" settings only affect the economies.

Regards,

- Erik

[/quote]

Erik I checked again tonight and you are mistaken. When I give myself a -1 power my research is affected by a considerable amount. I wish you were right though.

Is the AI more agressive on the higher diff levels? It sure seems so to me.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 189
RE: The historical test - 1/4/2007 8:37:21 AM   
Mike Scholl

ERIC.... Those numbers aren't too far off overall. What were the exact settings you were using on the "new scenario" you were using? Any "pluses" and/or "minuses"? And what was on/off besides "Faster Sieges" being off? Anything especially different about the "new scenario" besides somewhat lower costs for Naval Units?

Post #: 190
RE: The historical test - 1/4/2007 9:07:45 AM   
von Beanie

If it takes "faster sieges" to recreate what actually happened in history, why isn't that listed as a "normal siege," and then an option provided for "slower sieges"?

If one has to radically change the "default" settings to recreate history, then something is wrong. The default settings should be what recreates the actual imbalance of power, and the victory conditions should be based realistically on that lopsided balance of power. Then, the game could offer the alternatives for a "balanced" game, with victory conditions altered accordingly.

If victory matters (such as on theblitz.org website), who would start a PBEM game as the CSA with such radically altered conditions just so that they could recreate the actual war (keeping in mind that the victory conditions are not based on the radically altered settings)? And it is my opinion that many, if not most, players would prefer to play a game that is historically realistic.

Lots of wargames produced in the boardgame era reflected campaigns with a major imbalance of power or quality. These games weren't altered by giving the weaker side lots of abilities, units or economic options that they didn't have historically. Rather, the victory conditions were altered to reflect the real situation, and mostly based on the player doing better than each side did historically.

Can you imagine a game on the 1941 Barbarossa campaign where the default scenario gives Russians stronger units or enhanced powers so that they could stop the German invasion on the border and even invade Rumania? One could argue that it's based on WWII, but is it really? That's what happens when a game alters the forces or economic options rather than the victory conditions. Unfortunately, that's what appears to have happened with FoF in my opinion, and that's why some are challenging the game's "default" scenarios and options.

Post #: 191
RE: The historical test - 1/4/2007 3:14:16 PM   
Hard Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hard Sarge

to be honest no

Fair enough. It seems with luck and planning New Orleans CAN fall at approximately the right time. That's good. It also seems that the system CANNOT create the historical situation existing at that time. Not so good. But it helps to define the problem, and what might be needed to correct it overall..., which is progress.

and again, Why ? I have done all 3 of the things asked, and none of them used the same troops, it is not like the troops used to take NO would of been the troops used to take Nashville ?
(I am glad no one is asking when I took out the ANV)

WHY? because when I asked you ""Did you also have anything approximating this situation on the rest of the map?", your answer was "to be honest, no."

Mike
I posted before, that I had done the 1st two targets in a game already, that I did not go after NO as I was moving on the ANV instead, the statement then was, well since you couldn't take NO, the Union can not do what it did, so I went in to see if I could take NO in the time line asked, and I did

and I had also done the 1st two tagets with in the timeline in another game

there were 3 targets and 3 deadlines, all 3 have been matched and I am not a Union player, I do not know the strengths and weakness of commanding them

but with in reason, if the Union player wanted to follow history, they could, I tend to work for battles instead, I do not care about land

I try to set up and force the battle that I want to fight and then I fight it

(now the first two targets, you may be correct in saying I may of had a edge since I was using HW during my battles to get there)

(in reply to Mike Scholl)
Post #: 192
RE: The historical test - 1/4/2007 3:18:05 PM   
elmo3

quote:

ORIGINAL: von Beanie

If one has to radically change the "default" settings to recreate history, then something is wrong. ...

Why, just because you would have done it differently? The designers have said they intentionally made the default campaign more playable at the expense of some history. Nothing "wrong" with that at all since it's their game to design how they choose. They have also said they are coming out with a more historical scenario, perhaps as part of the next patch.

Edited for clarity.

< Message edited by elmo3 -- 1/4/2007 3:44:39 PM >

(in reply to von Beanie)
Post #: 193
RE: The historical test - 1/4/2007 3:20:59 PM   
Hard Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Berkut

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

quote:

WHY? because when I asked you ""Did you also have anything approximating this situation on the rest of the map?", your answer was "to be honest, no."

Alright, I'm by no means as good at FoF as Hard Sarge, but I'll undertake the challenge as long as I'm allowed to adjust the provided in-game settings to my preferences for a more historical but less balanced situation. I'll also be playing with the latest internal beta update which helps by significantly reducing the cost of building the Navy up for the Union.

Set me a few benchmarks and I'll see what I can do to achieve them, in parallel.

Regards,

- Erik

Uggh, that is a lame test though.

It is testing against the AI. The AI is stupid.

Can you achieve historical results against a human player who knows what you are trying to accomplish?

Of course, that is much hard to test.

But the point I am making is that testing balance against the computer is kind of pointless - you are just testing your ability not to be an idiot. Anyone with some basic intelligence should be able to stomp the computer every time.

I have no doubt Sarge can do all kinds of amazing things. That doesn't tell us anything about the balance of the game.

got to disagree with your point, the statments being made, was the Union player couldn't do it

doing it against a Human means nothing, because then the statements would be, well, if you were able to do that against him, he must be dumb and not much of a player

you guys are setting up a no win, because you can always say something wasn't any good in the test

(in reply to Berkut)
Post #: 194
RE: The historical test - 1/4/2007 3:21:05 PM   
Jonathan Palfrey

Erik, thanks for taking this matter seriously and spending some time on it.

Post #: 195
RE: The historical test - 1/4/2007 3:34:25 PM   
Feltan

Erik,

I would like to second Jonathan's note: thank you.

I do not believe there is a person posting on these boards that demands historical perfection. I certainly do not. However, what you describe above is so much more in the ballpark that I look forward to trying the game again.

Regards,
Feltan

(in reply to Jonathan Palfrey)
Post #: 196
RE: The historical test - 1/4/2007 4:00:17 PM   
Mike Scholl

Like to add my thanks as well. Hopefully there will be an "historical" scenario in the game as well one of these days. And again, when you get a moment, could you give us the exact settings you were using in yout "test"?

(in reply to Feltan)
Post #: 197
RE: The historical test - 1/4/2007 4:06:04 PM   
Berkut

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hard Sarge
got to disagree with your point, the statments being made, was the Union player couldn't do it

doing it against a Human means nothing, because then the statements would be, well, if you were able to do that against him, he must be dumb and not much of a player

you guys are setting up a no win, because you can always say something wasn't any good in the test

Come now, why would we set up a "now win"?

It's not like I have some interest in the game not meeting what I want it to be. If I had some kind of vendetta, or didn't like the game, I simply would not play, and would not post, and you wouldn't even know I exist.

Tests of what can be done against an AI are uninteresting to me. I am pretty sure I can take any side in any strategy game ever made, and within a matter of a day or two figure out how it works and beat any AI you care to put in front of me, barring grossly unfair advantages. Coding an AI to give a credible opponent for a game like this is nearly impossible.

A better test, to see what is reasonable, is actually to just play honestly against yourself.

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 198
RE: The historical test - 1/4/2007 4:33:16 PM   
Erik Rutins

I'm going to run another test, likely tonight. I think it's probably not necessary to reduce the CSA in power as much as I did, but the settings I used definitely gave the Union a stronger economy.

I'll list the exact settings I used, with some comments based on that first test:

Ok, start with the Advanced Game Settings, then change the following:

Union Power +3 (this boosts the Union Economy significantly)

Confederate Power -3 (this reduces the Confederate economy significantly. In my next run, I'm going to try setting this to -1 as I think boosting the Union Power was the most important part here. The South seemed a bit too weak in my test, so -3 was probably going too far)

Population Modifiers OFF (This still limits your recruitment by available manpower, but it doesn't reduce the economy relativ to how much of the available manpower you've used up. Since the focus was to boost the North's economy as well as the strength of its forces, this option needs to be OFF.)

Richer Economy ON (I wanted to see the North at its economic peak with the provided game options, so this needs to be on)

European Diplomacy OFF (Historically, European Diplomacy didn't amount to any kind of intervention, so turning this off makes that a guarantee and also frees up money for both sides that can be spent on the rest of their needs, while limiting the South's ability to boost its economy through foreign trade)

CSA Emancipation OFF (Didn't happen, so it won't be possible here.)

Randomized Stats OFF (I wanted to make sure I had the historical generals so that leadership changes wouldn't skew the results)

Hidden Stats OFF (The new update makes it more difficult to demote bad generals to make way for good ones, so I had no problem leaving the stats entirely visible. If I hadn't been focused on getting the historical results as perfect as I could, I woudl have turned Randomized and Hidden on, as it's the way I prefer to play for fun and to recreate Lincoln's difficulty finding great generals.)

More Generals ON (I just like more generals and it also make sure I get a lot more of the historical ones to spread around to the extra slots in the upcoming update)

For speed, I fought every battle as a Quick Battle, so I didn't change any battle settings. My normal preference there is to turn Near Start ON, but I didn't touch that this time.

Also, for my next test I'll be turning Faster Sieges ON. I don't think it's necessary if you really play well. I think if I'd made fewer mistakes I still could have been on a better pace with Faster Sieges OFF, but with it ON although sieges will be more painful, they'll take less time. I think this one's definitely a subjective thing and I'll try it ON and see how I like it.

As far as my economic policies, I followed these rules of thumb:

When Muster chance in a city is over 50%, always try to Muster there. Keep Mustering every single turn you can, while manpower and governors allow.

When Impressment danger is 10%, Impress! - I used this particularly for Horses early on and continued for both Horses and Labor once Kentucky joined the CSA. I occasionally Impressed when the danger was 20%, if the amount gained was going to be high (i.e. 30-40 resources).

Don't over-supply your troops, it's costly. Also, spread them out when you're not fighting to avoid terrible disease losses. Ideally, garrison them in provinces with cities that have hospitals, if possible.

I focused on building up my research early, did not focus on camps (just mustering) and set a goal for weaponry to get every new unit Muskets and then gradually improve them as my resources allowed. Once my Research started coming in, I focused on choices that would help me purchase units less expensively, like War Department, Cavalry Department, etc.

I looked at my cities and found which ones already had an advantage in unit production. For example, Boston is quite nice for building ships, Harrisburg for building just about any land unit, etc. I then build further improvements to emphasize those advantages. Although Manufacturing Centers are expensive, they are worthwhile in the long run. By mustering most of my troops, I was able to then focus my cities on producing artillery, siege artillery, cavalry, ships, frigates and containers.

Built a bunch of extra Divisions and Corps to reorganize my army and give me containers to put all the newly mustered troops in. The AOP starts in the July 1861 scenario I was playing with some understrength divisions, so I consolidated and moved the extra division containers West to reorganize the loose brigades there.

All of this let me build up to a fairly large army that could handle multiple fronts at once as well as an amphibious op while expanding the naval blockade.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 199
RE: The historical test - 1/4/2007 4:39:30 PM   
Mike Scholl

Thanks Eric. Even agree with you on changing the Rebs to -1 or so. Good luck Tonight.

Post #: 200
RE: The historical test - 1/4/2007 4:43:06 PM   
Erik Rutins

von Beanie,

quote:

ORIGINAL: von Beanie
If it takes "faster sieges" to recreate what actually happened in history, why isn't that listed as a "normal siege," and then an option provided for "slower sieges"?

If one has to radically change the "default" settings to recreate history, then something is wrong. The default settings should be what recreates the actual imbalance of power, and the victory conditions should be based realistically on that lopsided balance of power. Then, the game could offer the alternatives for a "balanced" game, with victory conditions altered accordingly.

The designers have stated from the beginning that the default balance was set to make for a more challenging, balanced game. The options were then provided so that you or anyone could tailor the game to your liking. All I did was look through the appendix, decide which options I needed to change to come closer to what was requested here, and give it a try. I think over time, once more people get used to the game, certain combinations of options will become "preferred" for either more historical players or folks who want a faster game, etc.

I'm not saying that Faster Sieges = History, but I'm going to try it and see. I think I could have done fine with the default sieges had I made fewer mistakes, but I'm not an expert FoF player like Hard Sarge. Since my son was born right as the final three months of testing started, I was on leave for that period and didn't have much chance to play until after the game was released. I'm approaching it as a player and with knowledge from alpha testing and the results seem to be pretty good to me.

quote:

If victory matters (such as on theblitz.org website), who would start a PBEM game as the CSA with such radically altered conditions just so that they could recreate the actual war (keeping in mind that the victory conditions are not based on the radically altered settings)? And it is my opinion that many, if not most, players would prefer to play a game that is historically realistic.

Well, I don't know again that this is the perfect combination, but I'm trying it out to see. Feel free to give other combinations a try to see if they suit better. In all honesty, I'm of the school of thought that the historical CSA did about as well as could be expected given the odds against it once full war started. Although wargamers always want to do better, I'm guessing for PBEM putting the settings a bit more towards "balance" rather than "strict history" would be more fun, particularly for the CSA player.

quote:

Lots of wargames produced in the boardgame era reflected campaigns with a major imbalance of power or quality. These games weren't altered by giving the weaker side lots of abilities, units or economic options that they didn't have historically. Rather, the victory conditions were altered to reflect the real situation, and mostly based on the player doing better than each side did historically.

Can you imagine a game on the 1941 Barbarossa campaign where the default scenario gives Russians stronger units or enhanced powers so that they could stop the German invasion on the border and even invade Rumania? One could argue that it's based on WWII, but is it really? That's what happens when a game alters the forces or economic options rather than the victory conditions. Unfortunately, that's what appears to have happened with FoF in my opinion, and that's why some are challenging the game's "default" scenarios and options.

I'm fine with challenging the default settings, but you have to understand that the default settings were always provided with a balanced game in mind. The options were provided so that other kinds of games would be possible.

I take your point about balancing victory conditions around the "painfully realistic" scenario, so that your goal as the South would be to simply do a bit better than the historical. Honestly though, most players if they went through what the South did would probably throw in the towel in 1863 and ask for a re-match. While Lee was doing fine in Virginia, the Union was pretty much stomping them elsewhere.

Anyway, we're all reading this board and will discuss to see if we can provide some additional pre-sets or other advice on this.

Regards,

- Erik

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 1/4/2007 4:57:02 PM >

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to von Beanie)
Post #: 201
RE: The historical test - 1/4/2007 4:46:08 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

Like to add my thanks as well. Hopefully there will be an "historical" scenario in the game as well one of these days. And again, when you get a moment, could you give us the exact settings you were using in yout "test"?

Well, as far as scenarios I think you'll like the updated one better, but what I really did was change the in-game options, which you can do yourself to adjust any scenario and game experience all the way from "simple" to "complex" and "realistic" to "fantasy". I don't really think in terms of historical scenarios as a result since each scenario can be adjusted to that degree. However, the updated July 1861 scenario I was playing with does improve on the General deployments and entry dates and also removes the CSA navy, among other things, so I'm sure it will prove popular.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 202
RE: The historical test - 1/4/2007 7:33:19 PM   
Erik Rutins

I forgot to add that I was playing on "Sergeant" difficult, so that there would be no economic modifiers.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 203
RE: The historical test - 1/4/2007 7:48:58 PM   
rook749

Erik,

Thanks for taking the time to address some of the concerns for those of us in the historical camp.

Love the game.

Rook

(in reply to Jonathan Palfrey)
Post #: 204
RE: The historical test - 1/4/2007 8:09:59 PM   
von Beanie

Eric,

I believe your responses to my criticisms are fair. Thank you for taking time to address them.

Norm

(in reply to rook749)
Post #: 205
RE: The historical test - 1/4/2007 8:56:26 PM   
Nick R

Eric,

Thanks for the feedback and all the hard work!

Nick

(in reply to von Beanie)
Post #: 206
RE: The historical test - 1/5/2007 4:40:35 AM   
Queeg

Thanks here, too.

I set out to do the same thing myself, but real life intervened. Nice to see that the setting really do make a difference. I've been convinced we'd find more game here once we explored the settings. Thanks for taking on the task.

(in reply to chris0827)
Post #: 207
RE: The historical test - 1/5/2007 8:22:27 AM   
Erik Rutins

Ok, the second test went even better than the first. Kentucky went with the Union this time and I also decided not to send an expedition to New Orleans (personal preference, I proved I had the troops to do it last game, but I preferred a different strategy this time). Instead, I sent those troops into Kentucky and Tennessee.

Once again, I got up over 400k in actual troops recruited, probably around 500k counting replacements and more if you count garrisons. It's hard to keep the effective strength up much higher than 300-350k though, but I can feel things starting to accelerate for the Union already by June 1862. I think with this kind of preparation, any areas that are slightly behind will catch up over the course of 1862.

After using musters to fill out my armies for the first nine months or so, I started putting more effort into also building infantry, which would probably be more frequent in 1862/63 as the Union economy continues to grow.

I had the whole Eastern seaboard blockaded, all Confederate ports had at least one Union fleet with 3+ ship squadrons, in addition to an understrength fleet blockading New Orleans. More ships in production.

I besieged and took Memphis, Fort Donelson, Fort Henry and Nashville. Currently besieging Fort Pickering (Murfreesboro) which is going to fall next turn. About to besiege Chattanooga. I fully expect to own Tennessee by the end of the 1862 campaigning season, barring a major intervention from the CSA (will keep you posted). I have one Army with Two Corps and Six Divisions under Thomas in Tennessee, along with another Corps of Three Divisions under Banks in Tennessee and a Corps with Three Divisions under Pope near Memphis. Also a separate Division in Cairo and a Corps of Two Divisions under Lyons in the Ozarks.

After pausing to manage unrest and resupply, my forces are also in Arkansas and planning to head south along the Mississippi from Memphis. Some impressments gone wrong also caused me to have to divert a division to quell unrest behind my lines.

Although I won First Bull Run and held Fredericksburg for a while, I did withdraw to Maryland to rebuild and reorganize the AoP. The CSA left Fredericksburg alone and in Spring of 1862 I marched right back in. Much to my surprise, the CSA attacked me with the armies it had been building and managed to beat me, throwing me back to Maryland. They now own Fredericksburg again and have started a fort there. So, while progress in the west is good, Virginia seems to be at a bit of a stalemate, which is also good to see from a historical perspective. I have about 110k field troops in Annapolis after my defeat, in addition to significant garrison forces. Those are organized in an Army of Two Corps and Six Divisions under Rosencrans and a separate Corps of Three Divisions under McClellan. The CSA is reported as having about 103k in Fredericksburg.

I have two artillery brigades and four siege artillery brigades, as well as one cavalry brigade. A bunch more cavalry is in production.

CSA raiders are harassing me in Kentucky and causing chaos as well. The CSA opponent is definitely putting up a better fight overall with the Power +0 setting I decided to go with for the CSA.

Here are the changes I made to my previous settings:

Confederate Power +0 (Union Power stays at +3)
Faster Sieges ON (Up to June 1862, based on my testing I would recommend this option)

Please give these recommendations a try and let me know how they work for you. Remember I'm playing with the beta update and an updated July 1861 scenario, so our results may differ a bit until you get the next update, but this should still help.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Queeg)
Post #: 208
RE: The historical test - 1/5/2007 9:05:24 AM   
Twotribes

Why is it that when the Union attacks into Fredricksberg and loses it retreats to Fort Monroe, sealing it off from further retreat and supply? It has happened to me everry time I have attacked into Fredricksburg and lost AND others have reported the same results.

Post #: 209
RE: The historical test - 1/5/2007 3:27:45 PM   
Ironclad

Apparently this is being corrected in the new patch to be issued.

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> RE: The historical test Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI