Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

TCP/IP Assertion Failed!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Forge of Freedom - Support >> TCP/IP Assertion Failed! Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
TCP/IP Assertion Failed! - 1/1/2007 3:39:55 AM   
Call Me Earl

This is an error I get when playing TCP/IP games with Scipio666. It appears after doing first detailed battle. Reloading the saved game or auto save does not cure the problem. Anyone have any ideas on what may be causing this ? It appears the game only works in multiplayer for PBEM games. Anyone had any success playing this game TCP/IP ? Thanks Earl

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Libary
Assertion Failed!
Program C:\Games\Forged of Freedom\Forged of Freedom.exe
File:C:\projects\acwpato\source\provine.cpp
line 238

Expression test ==18611864

For information on how your programe can cause an assertion failer see microsoft C++ documantation
on asserts.
Post #: 1
RE: TCP/IP Assertion Failed! - 1/1/2007 8:46:25 PM   
ericbabe

Would you mind please zipping the save game files (.sve and .rep) and send them to ericbabe@west-civ.com?  We haven't seen this problem in our TCP/IP testing, but there could be some condition causing it that doesn't happen very often.

(in reply to Call Me Earl)
Post #: 2
RE: TCP/IP Assertion Failed! - 1/1/2007 10:34:18 PM   
Call Me Earl

Eric, I am not trying to be a jerk here or anything, but everytime Scipio666 and I try and play this game TCP/IP we get Assertion Failed ! errors. Reading from other posts, this same problem appears in LAN games as well. Scipio666 emailed you the save game files from one such game. I am not sure how this game was tested for multiplayer and not have these same errors surface ? This error appears every time when you do the second detailed battle in a game. I would be more than happy to play a TCP/IP game with you so you can see first hand what is happening. Trust me, it won't take much of your time as it happens quickly, whether you do a detailed battle or not. I would like nothing better than to get this bug/bugs worked out of this truely good game so I can enjoy it to its full potential. We just concluded another TCP/IP test of the game with the following setup and results:

Game Settings

Intermediate Game, Standard Campaign, Sergeant
Turned on the following: Governors, Advance buildings, Upgrade Weapons, Use Generals, More Generals, Detailed Battles

We played the game normally, except that we did not do any battles, as we thought the detailed battles alone were causing the errors.

When ending the Early Jan. 1862 turn, after selecting my general for promotion, I received the first Assertion Failed ! error.

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Assertion Failed !

Program...IXGames\Forge of Freedom\Forge of Freedom.exe
File: C:\Projects\ACWPlato\Source\game.cpp
Line: 2102
Expression: Check==112233

For information on how your program can cause an assertion failure, see Visual C++ documentation on asserts.

Press Retry to debug the application - JIT must be enabled.

I hit ignore at this point and the game continued. Did my next turn and ended the turn, promoted my general and received another Assertion Failed ! error as follows:

Assertion Failed !

File: C:\Projects\ACWPlato\Source\Piecemap.cpp
Line: 1008
Expression: Test==20052006

For information on how your program can cause an assertion failure, see Visual C++ documentation on asserts.

I again hit ignore, but this time it came up with another Assertion Failed ! error.

Assertion Failed !

File: C:\Projects\ACWPlato\Source\province.cpp
Line: 238
Expression: Test==18611864

At this point hitting ignore did not work, so I hit retry and a window popped up asking if I would like to report the problem to Microsoft, I said no and was exited out of the game.

Originally we thought that the Detailed Battling alone was causing the problem, but that is not the case. It does not matter if he hosts or I host, we still get the errors. I will add this, the host never see's the errors, it is always the player that joins. The game continues for the host as if nothing ever happened. Again, Eric, I am more than willing to play a game TCP/IP with you so you can see the errors first hand. I promise to only say nice things about the game and to you, lol. Thanks for any help you can provide, Call Me Earl

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 3
RE: TCP/IP Assertion Failed! - 1/2/2007 5:28:58 AM   
Alan_Bernardo

Earl,

If you want, us two can try this and see if we the same errors.  You never know what's going on unless you test with others, also.

Email me at alan.bernardo@gmail.com if you want to test this and see if we get the same error.

Alanb

Post #: 4
RE: TCP/IP Assertion Failed! - 1/2/2007 6:50:26 PM   
Concord Dan

Good News sorta - Finally someone else has the exact same problem as me and my brother.

Bad News - This problem has stopped my playing of FoF until this is fixed.

Post #: 5
RE: TCP/IP Assertion Failed! - 1/2/2007 9:54:14 PM   
Call Me Earl

Concord Dan, Please PM me if you catch me on the Forum and I'll try and do the same. Would like to discuss this issue with you. Thks Earl

(in reply to Concord Dan)
Post #: 6
RE: TCP/IP Assertion Failed! - 1/4/2007 7:58:09 PM   
ericbabe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Concord Dan
Good News sorta - Finally someone else has the exact same problem as me and my brother.

Bad News - This problem has stopped my playing of FoF until this is fixed.

Were you playing LAN or Internet?

Post #: 7
RE: TCP/IP Assertion Failed! - 1/4/2007 10:20:26 PM   
Concord Dan

Internet - Packets are NOT the problem. It crashes the client EVERY time on the 2ND detailed battle.

Packets are NOT the problem - I start 2 sessions on my machine - One HOST one Client - SAME PROBLEM - 2ND battle crashes the client.

Let me know if you need anything else.

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 8
RE: TCP/IP Assertion Failed! - 1/4/2007 11:57:17 PM   
ericbabe

Is anyone else having the problem of the client crashing every time on the 2nd detailed battle?

This wasn't the problem I thought might be caused by dropped packets.

< Message edited by ericbabe -- 1/5/2007 12:10:29 AM >

Post #: 9
RE: TCP/IP Assertion Failed! - 1/5/2007 12:40:35 AM   
Maulet

Ericbabe I have posted your question in the thread "tcp/ip problems".

And the answer is: yes, but in the first battle :D

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 10
RE: TCP/IP Assertion Failed! - 1/5/2007 4:16:51 AM   
Call Me Earl

Eric,
I think there are two TCP/IP problems going on here. Yes the game freezes in detailed combat. I have had it freeze during the 1st battle and the second. The game never makes it past the second detailed battle without freezing. If the game freezes during the detailed battle and you reload the game via auto-save, within a coulple of turns you start getting the assertion failed errors. You can usually ignore the 1st assertion failed error and play another turn, but then you get another assertion failed error which will CTD.

Alan B. and I played a TCP/IP game where we used instant battles. We played into early 1862 and then we had the assertion failed error. He ignored it and we kept playing several more turns. Then we did a detailed battle and the game froze up in the detailed battle.

It appears that there are 2 things going on in TCP/IP games, the detailed battles freeze the game and you get the assertion failed errors without using the detailed battle option.

Again, I will offer my services for testing TCP/IP games. Eric, I think you need to test the TCP/IP outside of a LAN to see what is actually happening. Play a game using instant battles only, you will eventually get an assertion failed error. Then try one using detailed battles. The game will freeze up.

I would be more than happy to get online with you so that you can see what the game is doing. Many thks Eric for looking into this problem ! Most wouldn't take the time. Call Me Earl

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 11
RE: TCP/IP Assertion Failed! - 1/5/2007 7:14:26 PM   
ericbabe

It's hard to tell whether they are two separate problems with so little information.

I'll try to arrange for some more internet testing (as opposed to LAN testing) in-house -- it's easier if I do it since I can run both programs under the debugger to catch exactly what's going wrong.  It would help to get more feedback from other people playing by TCP/IP -- we might be able to find some common factors or chance upon some other information.

Post #: 12
RE: TCP/IP Assertion Failed! - 1/6/2007 4:38:42 PM   
Call Me Earl

I think that is a good call Eric, playing TCP/IP outside of your LAN. You should see the detailed battle freeze right away. After you get that, reload the auto-save and try to continue playing. Then play a quick game using instant battles only and you should come across the random assertion failed error.

I wish you luck Eric and hope that you do in fact resolve the TCP/IP issues. This would be a fun game to play multiplayer. For now I am setting this game aside and moving on to something else. I'll check back from time to time to see if it has been fixed, but to be honest, I am not holding out much hope. Thanks for the interest you have shown in this Eric. Call Me Earl

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 13
RE: TCP/IP Assertion Failed! - 1/6/2007 5:11:54 PM   
Erik Rutins

Earl,

Believe me, we're looking at TCP/IP and will get these issues fixed as soon as we can duplicate them on a development machine.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 14
RE: TCP/IP Assertion Failed! - 1/7/2007 5:42:06 PM   
Scipio666

Erik, I dont know how you cant replicate the detailed battled error over tcp/ip. It happens on the first or second battle to everyone. Except for people with magical versions of the game? I know most people play this single player or PBEM however I find it hard to believe that Concord Dan his brother, Maulet and his friend, Al and call me earl, and myself and call me earl all have some flaw here and its not the game. We have also all tried multiple play tests with it happening always not just once in awhile. If you cant get the error by your self perhaps like Call me Earl suggests perhaps someone should try the game with one of us. It is frustrating as Call Me Earl suggests because we only bought this game to play multiplayer and now we cant even get past the second battle unless we want to do lame instant battle.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 15
RE: TCP/IP Assertion Failed! - 1/7/2007 6:44:02 PM   
Erik Rutins

We understand. Please keep in mind there are a lot of things being worked on behind the scenes and this is one of them. I'm schedule to have a remote TCP/IP test with Eric Babe this afternoon actually. We put a new beta build into testing yesterday. I realize soon doesn't seem like soon enough, but work is going on through the weekend to address the highest priority issues. Once we find the cause of the TCP/IP problems you've been experiencing, then we'll know how hard a fix it will be.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Scipio666)
Post #: 16
RE: TCP/IP Assertion Failed! - 1/7/2007 7:13:18 PM   
Scipio666

I understand you guys are working hard at it. Also I understand the people that want to play TCP/IP represent like 1% of people who buy this game. However we just want to help you fix the problem perhaps by playing with someone who actually gets the error it will help you fix it. If for some reason the game runs perfect for you then you wont get the error to fix it. Anyhow good luck!! Ericbabe says he needs more info perhaps if he tells us what else might be helpfull that he is looking for ie: game settings, what systems we are using or whatever else he may be looking for perhaps we can help provide it.

< Message edited by Scipio666 -- 1/7/2007 7:29:04 PM >

Post #: 17
RE: TCP/IP Assertion Failed! - 1/7/2007 9:05:55 PM   
Erik Rutins

Scipio,

Game settings would of course be helpful, all additional info is helpful, but there seems to be some frustration building because we haven't asked one of you to start a game with us for testing. It would also help a lot to have more reports from others playing with TCP/IP to know if it's also working for them and what the rate of success is, also as far as LAN vs. Internet TCP/IP play. Let me be clear on a couple of things there:

1. We believe you that this is happening to you and a few others.
2. We haven't seen it ourselves, but we're doing more testing based on your reports to duplicate it, including testing today.
3. We're working on a lot of other things at the same time, so we can't exclusively focus on this, but it is an important issue
4. Because it happens repeatably for you doesn't mean that it happens that way for everyone playing TCP/IP, necessarily (it did not during testing)
5. Despite your generous offers, it won't actually help us unless we can duplicate this issue on a development system with a debugger running, that's the only reason you haven't been taken up on your offers yet. We are not ignoring the issue but the main thing that playing with you would do is confirm its existence, rather than help us fix it. Since we already believe you, that's not a big help unfortunately.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Scipio666)
Post #: 18
RE: TCP/IP Assertion Failed! - 1/7/2007 10:33:54 PM   
2gaulle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

3. We're working on a lot of other things at the same time, so we can't exclusively focus on this, but it is an important issue

perhaps you will not be in that kind of trouble if you didn't release the game before it was finished

Post #: 19
RE: TCP/IP Assertion Failed! - 1/7/2007 11:20:33 PM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

ORIGINAL: 2gaulle

quote:

perhaps you will not be in that kind of trouble if you didn't release the game before it was finished

bla bla bla, sorry.

(in reply to 2gaulle)
Post #: 20
RE: TCP/IP Assertion Failed! - 1/8/2007 12:21:59 AM   
2gaulle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marc Schwanebeck

quote:

ORIGINAL: 2gaulle

quote:

bla bla bla, sorry.

not surprise by this reaction, exactly how you consider your customer

(in reply to Marc von Martial)
Post #: 21
RE: TCP/IP Assertion Failed! - 1/8/2007 3:20:13 AM   
Scipio666

Erik, I am not upset that you wont test with me or another just upset I bought a game I cant play the way I would like(A way advertised that I could). I am just saying if you arent getting this error then perhaps if you reallly care you can get to see it with someone who is getting it. The only way to fix it so you say is to see it. Well that is the best way to see it. It would really take about 10 minutes of your time as it always happens on first or second battle. So I think in some eyes it seems you are unwilling to even see the error since you say it works just fine on your end. You cant run the debugger on your end while playing with someone outside of your network? If that is the case then we may as well consider the topic closed because if you havent experienced the error by now I doubt you ever will.

I have DSL with 4MB download and 2.5 upload. 2GB ram, ATI 256MB, and pentium 4 3.00 GHZ processer. Call me Earl has even a better connection and computer I cant see it being a computer problem. Both of us run XP. Direct X 9.0c.

Game settings are advanced options with advanced supply off, attrition off, more generals on, always detailed option. I doubt many people play this game multiplayer outside PBEM. Even if they do play tcp/ip perhaps they use instant battles like Crown of Glory.

Like ericbabe said perhaps it isnt worthwhile to even offer it from your standpoint. This game requires lots of time to play multiplayer and there are very few gluttons that are willing to devote that much time to tcp/IP. They would rather take their turns at their leisure playing PBEM. Especially without a service with which to match up with other people who care to play. I happened to buy this game and talk a friend into buying it as well to play. However if it was working I think more would play it some tcp/ip to get games moving and perhaps later when the game becomes more involved load it up as PBEM. I bought it for the fact you can play campaign style and still controil the battles via the detailed option. Which I thought was real cool most games offer the campaign single player only like the total war series. Even in games like Civ III and IV most play on smaller maps with faster moving games. However that is fine advertise it so and let me save my 49.99 seeing I only bought it to play multiplayer.

I mean to play test tcp/ip a game only on a lan when most people who would play over the internet wont be on a lan all together isn't a real good indicator anyhow. We arent all in South Korea playing in cafes.

< Message edited by Scipio666 -- 1/8/2007 7:44:29 AM >

(in reply to 2gaulle)
Post #: 22
RE: TCP/IP Assertion Failed! - 1/8/2007 4:23:02 AM   
TheHellPatrol

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marc Schwanebeck

bla bla bla, sorry.
ROFL...

Attachment (1)

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
Henry David Thoreau

(in reply to Marc von Martial)
Post #: 23
RE: TCP/IP Assertion Failed! - 1/8/2007 8:38:25 AM   
Missouri_Rebel

2gaulle,

Please reconsider the tone of your posts. Excuse me for saying so, but to this outsider you sound a bit juvenile. You have made your point several times that there is indeed a problem. The developers have acknowledged the problem and that they plan to fix it, yet have their hands full with other issues in addition to the tcp/ip problem(no less important to many other I might add)

When Mr.Schwanebeck said; 'bla bla bla, sorry', it seemed that he did so not so much to mock you but to point out that no matter what the developers have said, you are not satisfied with the responses. It was an apology. One without repeating the pledges already stated by them. WCS have given their position of determination to fixing the problem so the continued harassment is not needed IMHO. Your posts are beginning to sound like a letter from the Redundant Department of Redundancy. Here in America we have a saying of "You're beating a dead horse". You, Sir, have gone past beating the poor beast and have practically resorted to dismemberment. Give them a chance to fix it and then see where it stands.

I understand your frustration, Sir, but there is a better way of handling the situation.

Just my

Mo Reb

**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford

(in reply to TheHellPatrol)
Post #: 24
RE: TCP/IP Assertion Failed! - 1/8/2007 3:14:59 PM   
2gaulle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Missouri_Rebel

2gaulle,

Please reconsider the tone of your posts. Excuse me for saying so, but to this outsider you sound a bit juvenile. You have made your point several times that there is indeed a problem. The developers have acknowledged the problem and that they plan to fix it, yet have their hands full with other issues in addition to the tcp/ip problem(no less important to many other I might add)

When Mr.Schwanebeck said; 'bla bla bla, sorry', it seemed that he did so not so much to mock you but to point out that no matter what the developers have said, you are not satisfied with the responses. It was an apology. One without repeating the pledges already stated by them. WCS have given their position of determination to fixing the problem so the continued harassment is not needed IMHO. Your posts are beginning to sound like a letter from the Redundant Department of Redundancy. Here in America we have a saying of "You're beating a dead horse". You, Sir, have gone past beating the poor beast and have practically resorted to dismemberment. Give them a chance to fix it and then see where it stands.

I understand your frustration, Sir, but there is a better way of handling the situation.

Just my

Mo Reb

I never accepted to pay full for a game not finished and I'm always surprise that so many accept this situation. Do you accept the same for a car? so who his juvenile?

Hopefully most of the developer do a lot on the subject, like AGEOD and SSG so release a game free of bug is not impossible.

What I'm waiting for is public excuses to release a unfinished game

(in reply to Missouri_Rebel)
Post #: 25
RE: TCP/IP Assertion Failed! - 1/8/2007 5:06:59 PM   
Alan_Bernardo

quote:

I never accepted to pay full for a game not finished and I'm always surprise that so many accept this situation. Do you accept the same for a car? so who his juvenile?

Hopefully most of the developer do a lot on the subject, like AGEOD and SSG so release a game free of bug is not impossible.

What I'm waiting for is public excuses to release a unfinished game

The only thing here is that instead of gauging interest in an online component for FoF after the game is released, Matrix should've done it before. Once TCP/IP is included, Matrix should make sure that it works, and not wait until after release to consider the time and money involved when considering the feasibility of fixing something already included in the game.

Alanb

< Message edited by Alan_Bernardo -- 1/8/2007 5:17:49 PM >

(in reply to 2gaulle)
Post #: 26
RE: TCP/IP Assertion Failed! - 1/8/2007 5:16:24 PM   
Erik Rutins

<sigh>

The only thing that Eric was saying was that as far as the priority of fixing TCP/IP over some other requests on our list, getting an idea of how many players it affects would be useful. On the flipside, for example, providing an improved victory screen affects all players.

I feel like we are not getting a lot of benefit of the doubt here. I understand TCP/IP over the internet is not working at all for some players. We're not happy to hear that. We did test it, both over LAN as well as over Internet, though more over LAN. This was a pre-existing TCP/IP system built on Microsoft libraries that worked in CoG for games with far more than 2 players.

Why it is not working for some players in the release version is still unknown. But, to quote Rumsfeld, "there are known knowns, known unknowns and unknown unknowns". In other words, this is not something that we decided to release knowing it was not working. Our testing indicated that it was working. At what point it broke and how that was missed, I don't know, but it is on our list to fix and we are working on that.

Fixes for problems like this can be much more elusive than with something like "Hood's brigade is showing up as cavalry". This will likely take some time and will likely be in the patch after the current one, since it's still being investigated. However, it is being worked on and it's not our intention at all to release a game with TCP/IP support and then decide that we won't fix it. That was never said and any other understanding is a misunderstanding.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Alan_Bernardo)
Post #: 27
RE: TCP/IP Assertion Failed! - 1/8/2007 5:52:27 PM   
Alan_Bernardo

Erik,

I fully understand.  First things first-- I have no problem with that.  Since there is recognition that something is not right with TCP/IP, I'm content to wait, give other things their due consideration based on user priority, and help out if I can.

Go Bucks!

Alanb

Post #: 28
RE: TCP/IP Assertion Failed! - 1/8/2007 8:07:08 PM   
ericbabe

I'm certainly not trying to "gauge interest" in TCP/IP in my call for more reports.  Debugging can be a lot like detective work and getting more reports is akin to getting more witnesses or more clues.  We are trying to prioritize work on the upgrades according to the popularity of the requests -- and things like improved feedback on battles, a PBEM replay, victory statistics, tweaks to the disease rules, and some changes for more historical play options currently seem to be the most frequently requested changes to the game.  However, we are still devoting time each day to TCP/IP testing, presently adding some diagnostic-type code to run on top of the diagnostic code present in the Microsoft libraries already.

(in reply to Alan_Bernardo)
Post #: 29
RE: TCP/IP Assertion Failed! - 1/13/2007 6:01:30 PM   
Maulet

Hello,

this afternoon my friend and me have played one turn and appears 2 things:

1-in the load of the second battle the game crash <--- the famous error.

2-when we finalished the first turn before beginning the battle and movements appears to me (host) this log:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b348/maulet/Altres/fof.jpg

Is the first time that appears me this error.

< Message edited by Maulet -- 1/13/2007 6:13:03 PM >

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Forge of Freedom - Support >> TCP/IP Assertion Failed! Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI