Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

2007 GGWAW/AWD PBEM Tournament (rules + round1)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> Opponents Wanted >> 2007 GGWAW/AWD PBEM Tournament (rules + round1) Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
2007 GGWAW/AWD PBEM Tournament (rules + round1) - 1/6/2007 6:13:52 PM   
MrQuiet

2007 GGWAW/AWD PBEM Tournament
aka: 'Jump-start the Ladder Tournament'

This is semi-elimination type tournament.
What I mean by 'semi' is that the emphasis of the rules is not on eliminating players, it is on seeing games through to completion and generating interest in AWD through this tournament, the ladder at wargamer.com and the AAR section of the forum.

Onto the rules

1) All participants must be registered at the Ladder at wargamer.com
2) The results of all tournament games are to be logged at the Ladder
3) All games will be with the 'Total War' scenario of AWD using the latest official patch.
4) FOW=on Advanced Supply=on End Date=on Auto Victory=on
5) Players have 48hrs to return a file or email there opponent explaining the delay and when they can expect the turn.
6) One last house rule. Rus can not start the war with Japan until Ger has surendered. (i.e. no HB attack on Japan to get DOW)

How it Works

For round 1 players will be put on a list in Alphabetical order according to there forum names.
For future rounds players will be added to the list as they become eligible for the next round.

Each player will have 2 games going per round.
He will play as allies against the player below him in the list.
He will play as axis against the player above him in the list.

All players that achieve a win or a draw in at least one of the games will advance to the next round.
The tournament will continue until 2 players remain or the completion of 10 rounds.

Scoring

Points will be awarded at the end of each game.
There are 2 ways to earn points.

1) Finish a game and points are awarded (or detracted) according to Jan Sorensens excellent ladder point system: (too bad it doesn't seem to work at the ladder)

Decisive Victory: +60
- Substantive Victory: +40
- Marginal Victory: +30
- Draw: +20
- Marginal Defeat: +10
- Substantive Defeat: 0
- Decisive Defeat: -20

The total of the points entered for both players will be +40 under all circumstances - e.g. a Draw gives 20 points to both players (20 + 20 = 40), and a Decisive Victory means 60 for the winner and -20 for the loser (60 - 20 = 40).

2) Posting AAR in the aar section of the forum will also earn you tournament points. (player optional)

The minimum aar requirements are:
a) aar must start no later than the year that Barbarosa kicks off or SU DOW on Germany. It may start earlier but not later.
b) aar must have a minimum of one post for each year after SU and Ge go to war.
c) aar must have minimum one paragraph and one screenshot for each of the world powers you are playing (excluding China) of course you can post more than minimum.
d) I prefer the aar to be ongoing with the progress of the game but you may make the posts after the completion of the game.

Obviously be carefull what you reveal as your current and future opponents will no doubt be reading it.

Extra Points
If you win the game the aar is following you will receive an additional 5pts on your score.
If you lose or draw on the game the aar is following you will receive additional 15pts on your score as long as you play the game to completion (i.e. do not concede the game)
If you lose the game the aar is following and concede before the end date you will receive additional 5pts.

Summary:
Draw or Loss(no concede) + AAR = 15pts
Loss (concede to oponent) + AAR = 5pts
Win + AAR = 5pts

The most points you can get for a win is 65
The most points you can get for a draw is 35
The most points you can get for a loss is 25

Declaring a Winner

The Grand Champion will be the player with the highest score when there are 2 or less player remaining or at the end of round 10 whichever occurs first. If there is a tie for 1st place in points then additional rounds will continue until one player has a higher score at the completion of a round.

There will be a prize for Winning and for Runner Up.
There will also be a prize for player submitting the best AARs. The public will vote for the winner of this prize at the end of the tournament.

This will be the trophy for the Winner and it will be engraved "Grand Champion of the 2007 GGWAW A World Divided PBEM Tournament"

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by MrQuiet -- 1/15/2007 10:37:11 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: 2007 GGWAW/AWD PBEM Tournament (rules) - 1/6/2007 6:15:12 PM   
MrQuiet

Tournament started Friday Night Jan 12 2007.

-MrQuiet

List of Participants:

aaminoff
christian brown (Tristansdad)
Erik Rutins (Ruthenion)
Forwarn45
GKar
Haudrauf1962
JanSorensen
kondor
Lebatron
mikemcmann
MrQuiet
rjh1971
tica (Tcarter)
wargameplayer (wargameplaya)

Names in ( ) indicate a different account name at the ladder.
I reserve the right to limit the number of players to 100.
So get signed up, supplies are limited, operators are standing by.
If not satisfied return for full refund (-shipping and handling fees)

-MrQuiet

_______________________________________________________________________________________

We are a go!
Round 1 is on!
Use version 1.010

Edit As per requested the list has been changed to show the Axis player first.
All match-ups are the same.

Game Axis------vs---------Allies-------------Game Year
01) Avatar47--------------aaminoff----------------Axis Decisive Victory
02) christian brown-------Avatar47--------------Allied Decisive Victory +5AAR Axis&Allies
03) Erik Rutins------------christian brown-------Allies Decisive Victory Allies+5pt AAR
04) Forwarn45-------------Erik Rutins------------Axis AutoVictory (DV)
05) GKar-------------------Forwarn45-------------Allied Decisive Victory Allies +5AAR
06) Haudrauf1962--------GKar--------------------Allied Decisive Victory
07) JanSorensen---------Haudrauf1962--------Axis Decisive Victory - Axis+5pt AAR
08) kondor----------------JanSorensen----------Allies Decisive Victory - Allies+5pt AAR
09) ---------------------------------------------------------
10) mikemcmann----------kondor----------------Allies Decisive Victory
11) MrQuiet---------------mikemcmann----------Axis Decisive Victory
12) rjh1971----------------MrQuiet----------------Allied Decisive Victory
13) tica---------------------rjh1971----------------Draw
14) wargameplayer-------tica--------------------Axis Auto Victory (DV)
15) aaminoff---------------wargameplayer------Allied Decisive Victory

Good Luck everyone!

For Round 2 and beyond the folowing two rules will be reversed:
quote:

He will play as allies against the player below him in the list.
He will play as axis against the player above him in the list.

< Message edited by MrQuiet -- 3/14/2007 11:07:06 PM >

(in reply to MrQuiet)
Post #: 2
RE: 2007 GGWAW/AWD PBEM Tournament (rules) - 1/6/2007 9:07:23 PM   
MrLongleg

I am joining this tournament. But from time to time I will need more than 48 hours for a turn (business reasons)

I am looking forward to a great tournament

MrLongleg

Life is too short to drink bad wine ;-)

(in reply to MrQuiet)
Post #: 3
RE: 2007 GGWAW/AWD PBEM Tournament (rules) - 1/6/2007 9:16:21 PM   
Erik Rutins

I'll join in, but if by some miracle I win, I'll give the prize to the second place person.

My ladder account name is "Ruthenion".

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 1/7/2007 8:51:40 AM >

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to MrLongleg)
Post #: 4
RE: 2007 GGWAW/AWD PBEM Tournament (rules) - 1/6/2007 9:37:59 PM   
wargameplayer

I'm in. My id on the site is wargameplaya.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 5
RE: 2007 GGWAW/AWD PBEM Tournament (rules) - 1/7/2007 6:44:32 AM   
aaminoff

I signed up at wargamer.com. My id is aaminoff, same as here. I too know I will occasionally miss the 48 hour deadline, especially when in March we are expecting our second child. Informing your opponent and setting an expectation for when you will return seems very reasonable.

(in reply to wargameplayer)
Post #: 6
RE: 2007 GGWAW/AWD PBEM Tournament (rules) - 1/7/2007 1:17:53 PM   
kondor

Count me in! Same login name here as at battle league...

(in reply to aaminoff)
Post #: 7
RE: 2007 GGWAW/AWD PBEM Tournament (rules) - 1/7/2007 4:31:49 PM   
GKar

I'm in, my wargamer nick is GKar, the same as here.

(in reply to kondor)
Post #: 8
RE: 2007 GGWAW/AWD PBEM Tournament (rules) - 1/7/2007 5:41:22 PM   
mikemcmann

Cool! I am in as well!

My Wargamer name is "mikemcmann" same as here.

Just signed up for the wargamer, so gonna have to figure it out a bit. Do we just look at our spot in the list and email the people above and below and fight out on our own? Or does the wargamer have some lobby system?

Will prolly figure it out in a bit though... :)

Thanks for organizing this! Very cool!

Mike

(in reply to GKar)
Post #: 9
RE: 2007 GGWAW/AWD PBEM Tournament (rules) - 1/7/2007 5:59:12 PM   
MrQuiet

quote:

Do we just look at our spot in the list and email the people above and below and fight out on our own?

Yes that is exactly how it works.
But wait until I finalize the list on Friday Jan 12.

The only time you have to go to the ladder is after a game has finished to post the results.

-MrQuiet

(in reply to mikemcmann)
Post #: 10
RE: 2007 GGWAW/AWD PBEM Tournament (rules) - 1/7/2007 6:00:58 PM   
mikemcmann

Excellent! Looking forward to it!

Good luck everyone!

:)

(in reply to MrQuiet)
Post #: 11
RE: 2007 GGWAW/AWD PBEM Tournament (rules) - 1/8/2007 3:36:32 AM   
Lebatron

I'm in. But the higher point scores that I outlined and Jan slightly moddified into the system we all agreed on does not actually work at the Wargammer. I see you pointed that out, but still list our score system anyway. If the Wargammer is not going to track our real score who is? Are you going to MrQuiet?

Jesse LeBreton, AKA Lebatron
Development team- GG's WAW A World Divided

(in reply to mikemcmann)
Post #: 12
RE: 2007 GGWAW/AWD PBEM Tournament (rules) - 1/8/2007 4:05:16 AM   
Forwarn45

This sounds like fun, and it looks like there are quite a few of the dedicated players. I am in.

(in reply to Lebatron)
Post #: 13
RE: 2007 GGWAW/AWD PBEM Tournament (rules) - 1/8/2007 7:49:30 PM   
WanderingHead

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lebatron
I'm in. But the higher point scores that I outlined and Jan slightly moddified into the system we all agreed on does not actually work at the Wargammer. I see you pointed that out, but still list our score system anyway. If the Wargammer is not going to track our real score who is? Are you going to MrQuiet?

I looked at Wargamer and couldn't figure out exactly what they support for point tracking. It seems like the only way to know is to try to enter loss report, or is it explained somewhere I couldn't find?

I seem to recall from a description on this forum that Wargamer only supported smaller points than the described system. Why not change the point system by dividing by 10? Make it -2 to +6, instead of -20 to +60. Does Wagamer support that?

I think it makes the most sense to come to an agreement on a system that wargamer does support.

BTW - I would love to take part in this, but I just do not have enough time given the work I'm putting into the mod-ability, plus hopefully a game or two I can set up to try GGWAWGG.

(in reply to Lebatron)
Post #: 14
RE: 2007 GGWAW/AWD PBEM Tournament (rules) - 1/8/2007 8:06:41 PM   
MrQuiet

quote:

I have no control over the ladder, but I do intend to use the outlined system to track the points in the tournament. I love the idea of someone fighting extra hard to get a marginal defeat over a substansive defeat just to score an extra 10pts.

I think the ladder only tracks wins/draws/losses and I think it is useing some kind of chess scoreing system with eveyone starting with a thousand points. Then I bet you score more for beating a higher ranked player, but that is just my guess based on the two games that have been logged there.

It actualy does not matter how the ladder works as far as the tournament goes. I just want to see it become active, along with the AAR section, so potential new players visiting this forum and stumbling over there will observe an active community. This game has so much potential to become a killer classic and I am doing what I can to help bring the potential out.

-MrQuiet

(in reply to Lebatron)
Post #: 15
RE: 2007 GGWAW/AWD PBEM Tournament (rules) - 1/8/2007 8:17:56 PM   
WanderingHead

quote:

ORIGINAL: MrQuiet
I have no control over the ladder, but I do intend to use the outlined system to track the points in the tournament. I love the idea of someone fighting extra hard to get a marginal defeat over a substansive defeat just to score an extra 10pts.

Yeah, but it is the "Jump start the ladder tournament", so it seems like it makes sense to make the scoring consistent if at all possible.

(in reply to MrQuiet)
Post #: 16
RE: 2007 GGWAW/AWD PBEM Tournament (rules) - 1/8/2007 9:08:27 PM   
JanSorensen

I would like to join. I havent played much in a rather long while so I probably get a sound beating but I cannot miss a good old MrQ Tournament.

(in reply to WanderingHead)
Post #: 17
RE: 2007 GGWAW/AWD PBEM Tournament (rules) - 1/8/2007 9:20:49 PM   
MrQuiet

quote:

Yeah, but it is the "Jump start the ladder tournament", so it seems like it makes sense to make the scoring consistent if at all possible.

I agree, but as long as the Ladder becomes active it has then been 'Jump-Started'

quote:

JanSorensen
I would like to join. I havent played much in a rather long while so I probably get a sound beating but I cannot miss a good old MrQ Tournament.

Oh Oh, Here comes a prediter. Should I just have your name engraved on the winning trophy now?
I do believe you have won 100% of the tournaments I have run.
Lets see... how could I handicap you?? ahhh guess we will just have to try and beat you fair and square.
Welcome to the tourny Jan.
May you curse those automatic hits.. no I mean good luck to ya.

-MrQuiet

Post #: 18
RE: 2007 GGWAW/AWD PBEM Tournament (rules) - 1/8/2007 9:50:45 PM   
GKar

quote:

ORIGINAL: WanderingHead

Agreed. Is there anyone with some kind of "close connection" to the Wargamer guys? I emailed them about the scoring problem but never got a response.

Post #: 19
RE: 2007 GGWAW/AWD PBEM Tournament (rules) - 1/8/2007 9:56:52 PM   
GKar

quote:

ORIGINAL: MrQuiet

quote:

ORIGINAL: JanSorensen

Oh Oh, Here comes a prediter. Should I just have your name engraved on the winning trophy now?
I do believe you have won 100% of the tournaments I have run.
Lets see... how could I handicap you??

I vote for a nice -x combat handicap where x is the number of tournaments won.
Or wait, better make that -9 right now...

(in reply to MrQuiet)
Post #: 20
RE: 2007 GGWAW/AWD PBEM Tournament (rules) - 1/9/2007 12:28:46 AM   

I'm in.

(in reply to GKar)
Post #: 21
RE: 2007 GGWAW/AWD PBEM Tournament (rules) - 1/9/2007 12:51:45 AM   
Lebatron

quote:

ORIGINAL: GKar
Agreed. Is there anyone with some kind of "close connection" to the Wargamer guys? I emailed them about the scoring problem but never got a response.

I believe Sean Drummy, our playtest coordinator for AWD, is one of the Wargamer guys. But I would not bother. Here is why I think the Wargamer will not allow us to use a higher score system. It's all in the rankings. I mean all of it, every game recorded and logged there. If our game was the only one that used high scores, AWD and the people who play it, would quickly surpass everybody else in rank. It's rather elementary. Those who have been playing, for example, Steel Panthers for years and reached 1050 points would cry foul. The rankings for top players would quickly become loaded with AWD players. The Wargamer crew obviously knows this and that would explain their silence. Of coarse I could be way off in left field, but this theory seems sound.

As I said before, I think the Wargamer score system is seriously flawed. My problem with it is the tiny increments you receive for all your hard work. It would take a lifetime of wins to reach General. And everybody at the Wargamer site are of no higher rank than Lieutenant. There are several higher ranks but due to their flawed scoring system, no one can reach them. It's in serious need of an overhaul. What they need to come up with is a system that has independent scores and victory levels for each game. And have those scores determined by the respective fan community for that game. So in our case we could use the scoring system we created. They also need to get rid of the generic "Top 6 ranks" which as of this moment is lead by deadgrim. He may be the best at Steel Panthers but I could whip his butt in AWD. There is no such thing as "The best player." But there could be a best for each game hosted in Battle Leagues. So their whole format needs to change IMO. List the games and then within those games show the ranks of players.

Jesse LeBreton, AKA Lebatron
Development team- GG's WAW A World Divided

(in reply to GKar)
Post #: 22
RE: 2007 GGWAW/AWD PBEM Tournament (rules) - 1/9/2007 1:09:27 AM   
rjh1971

I'm in. Nick name in wargamer same as here rjh1971.

(in reply to Lebatron)
Post #: 23
RE: 2007 GGWAW/AWD PBEM Tournament (rules) - 1/9/2007 1:17:54 AM   
tcart

Count me in. I'm on Wargamer as Tcarter. I'll be away for a week in mid January but otherwise should have no trouble making the 48 hr limit.
Tim

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 24
RE: 2007 GGWAW/AWD PBEM Tournament (rules) - 1/9/2007 2:38:57 AM   
GKar

quote:

ORIGINAL: WanderingHead

I seem to recall from a description on this forum that Wargamer only supported smaller points than the described system. Why not change the point system by dividing by 10? Make it -2 to +6, instead of -20 to +60. Does Wagamer support that?

I wonder about the very same thing. Maybe we should log a fake "loss report" with just a few points to see what happens. I guess the system won't allow for a total different to 0 though.

My own report of +60/-20 ended up with +8/-8. Maybe the system doesn't care about the points entered anyway.

Post #: 25
RE: 2007 GGWAW/AWD PBEM Tournament (rules) - 1/9/2007 9:48:39 PM   
rjh1971

I think it's a good idea to write the email address we are going to use, so once the definitely list is made MrQuite can attach the emails as well.

Here is mine: internetrjh@telefonica.net or rjh1971@telefonica.net

(in reply to GKar)
Post #: 26
RE: 2007 GGWAW/AWD PBEM Tournament (rules) - 1/10/2007 12:14:05 AM   
GKar

Hmm, I'm not that fond of posting my email address in public, I'm getting enough spam already.

I don't think it's necessary though, the forum PM and email system can do the job as well.

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 27
RE: 2007 GGWAW/AWD PBEM Tournament (rules) - 1/10/2007 12:18:12 AM   
GKar

Oh, and one other thing: You can find the email address of your opponent by looking into his profile at the wargamer site.

(in reply to GKar)
Post #: 28
RE: 2007 GGWAW/AWD PBEM Tournament (rules) - 1/10/2007 12:36:09 AM   
rjh1971

Indeed spam is a pain in the neck, but since I allready get my mail filled with all kind of wonderful sex pills and wonderful oportunities to buy low price stock about to rocket their price, I just don't care anymore, besides the antispam program works fairly well and all spam mails are eliminated without reading.

Anyway I understand your point Gkar. I just thouhgt it would be faster to reach your opponent knowing directly his email.

(in reply to GKar)
Post #: 29
RE: 2007 GGWAW/AWD PBEM Tournament (rules) - 1/10/2007 12:49:16 PM   

Of the below, who can be considered 'a challenge to play' or more?

aaminoff
Erik Rutins (Ruthenion)
Forwarn45
GKar
Haudrauf1962
JanSorensen <------ top player, i know that
kondor
Lebatron <------ lebby's good from what i hear
mikemcmann
MrQuiet <------ nothin but respect
rjh1971
tica (Tcarter)
wargameplayer (wargameplaya)

I think I'm pretty decent too, and would like to know what odds i'm stacked against here . Would be nice to play a real game against Jan this time. Our one and only game was unfortunately with a not-so-balanced- WaW 1.... I like AWD much much better, no longer so ahistorical.

-Alex

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> Opponents Wanted >> 2007 GGWAW/AWD PBEM Tournament (rules + round1) Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI