Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What I have Learned as Japanese Player

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: What I have Learned as Japanese Player Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What I have Learned as Japanese Player - 1/9/2007 3:59:46 AM   
Riva Ridge

Thanks Widell for adding me to the Wiki.  I just hope that I learned by lessons sufficiently so I can kick ass and take names in my new PBM.  As far as the models, I use CHS so that definintely has had an effect on my PBMs to date as Allied and Japanese (the roads on Andy Browns map are tough going).  As Japanese, I always wind up in a slog fest around Moulmein because I just cannot get troops up there fast enough and the ones that I did severely hurt my Singapore drive.  I could amass enough forces to push through to Rangoon, but I certainly could not go farther.  The additions of the 33rd and the 2nd Guards Division on the drive to Singapore IMHO makes a DRAMATIC difference in taking Singapore.  They won't arrive in time for the addition push off the Khota Baru and/or Kuntuan beachheads, but they arrive at Malaya just in time to assist in breaking whatever line of resistance that is thrown up as long as there is some artillery/armor/engineers in support.  On the opposite side, playing against a very aggressive and competent Allied Player, I was able to get the before stated forces into Burma by the 1st week of January.  I lost probably a dozen transports and a number of ships damaged but I was able to do it.  I will deal with the India problem if it comes up. 

I am pretty convinced that if you do everything right and Singapore is your only focus in SE Asia, than you will have Singapore by late January/early Feburary and by mid March, you will be capable of throwing a reasonably large force into Burma, supported by naval aviation, amphibious assault, paratroops, and armor/artillery/engineers that will allow you to deliver a more devastating and sustainable drive into Burma.  This next game will be my way to test my conviction on this matter.

Regards,

C

(in reply to Demosthenes)
Post #: 31
RE: What I have Learned as Japanese Player - 1/9/2007 12:34:31 PM   
Przemcio231

Nik you can PM me your e-mail and i will send you my turn... Well my dear Caster in Stock my Planes would Butcher your's as i got Corsairs/Lightining's + lot's of Fodder and the only difference would be that your planes would be downed in the Air It's Pay Back Time

Pinky: Hey Brain what are we goeing to do this evening?
Brain: The Usual Pinky we will try to take over the World;)

(in reply to Demosthenes)
Post #: 32
RE: What I have Learned as Japanese Player - 1/9/2007 12:48:18 PM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Przemcio231

Nik you can PM me your e-mail and i will send you my turn... Well my dear Caster in Stock my Planes would Butcher your's as i got Corsairs/Lightining's + lot's of Fodder and the only difference would be that your planes would be downed in the Air It's Pay Back Time

well, actually not! Iīve got enough stock experience that I can tell you that 80+ exp. pilots in Tojos, Tonies, Franks, Georges and Jacks are performing very good. Over my own bases they take on everything easily (at least 1:1 kill rates with many of my pilots safed) and the Corsair is achieving a 2:1 at best.

So the raid we had (70 P38, 70 P40 and 20 F4U against 44 Tojos on cap, 190 Tojos stationed there) was in our game under nik 8.0 a slaughter because you got such a huge numerical advantage, I didnīt have the bounce and 40+ of your fighters were just damaged (in stock they would have been kills). I lost all in the air and the same number on the ground in the afternoon. You lost perhaps 25 planes, many damaged. With the same number of planes in the air I would have killed 40+ fighters more because the damaged would be kills, so even with the small number I would have killed more planes in a2a than you.

But in stock I would have had 160 Tojos in the air and would have shot down 100+ of your fighters (with their poor pilots between 50 and 70), loosing probably 70 fighters myself. And the incoming bomber raid in the afternoon would have met still 60 fighters on cap. Of course this does only work if I can send high experienced pilots into the fight but as it is at the moment ALL my fighters are high experienced in our game. Iīm sorry to say but I donīt know how this will go on if I can only bring up 50-70 fighters on cap above my major bases no matter how many fighters I pump in them (and we have a stacking rule). Thereīs no sense in stacking 450 fighters in one place, just to bring up 100 fighters on cap.

(in reply to Przemcio231)
Post #: 33
RE: What I have Learned as Japanese Player - 1/9/2007 1:04:11 PM   
kkoovvoo

Guys, i like the fact that planes are damaged when heavily used. Its not real to maintain heavy CAP every day over the base.

I also play Niks mod (modified with durabily decreased by 20 %) and face the same problem - planes are damaged when CAP is set too high. You can set up traps - you move fighters in and set them on heavy CAP if you expect enemy raid. But if the trap fails, you cant maintain such heavy CAP for more than day or two and you have to withdraw your fighters from base or lower the CAP if you want to prevent situation when 3/4 of your planes sit on runway damaged.

The problem is castor that you want have majority of your fighters in the air or alertfor too long period - you should give up this idea in Niks mod.

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 34
RE: What I have Learned as Japanese Player - 1/9/2007 1:19:57 PM   
Przemcio231

No kkoovvoo it happens to CV based Fighters Too... when i set lets say 72 Plane P-40 Group on 80% CAP around 25% of planes are damaged after the 1st day of Flying The worst thing is with CV based CAP i send my CV's to ambush Caster's CV's raiding my Shipping since i had to keep up CAP all the time around 70% as i got limited inteligence on his whereabouts the day when strike happend few Plane's defended my Fleet lucky for me those brit CV's are tought and they survived

Pinky: Hey Brain what are we goeing to do this evening?
Brain: The Usual Pinky we will try to take over the World;)

(in reply to kkoovvoo)
Post #: 35
RE: What I have Learned as Japanese Player - 1/9/2007 1:35:15 PM   
kkoovvoo

And if you set CAP to 30 percent? You have decent radar so you should get more fighters in the air to invite incoming strike. And number of damaged planes will stay in acceptable numbers.

Post #: 36
RE: What I have Learned as Japanese Player - 1/9/2007 1:41:12 PM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: kkoovvoo

Guys, i like the fact that planes are damaged when heavily used. Its not real to maintain heavy CAP every day over the base.

I also play Niks mod (modified with durabily decreased by 20 %) and face the same problem - planes are damaged when CAP is set too high. You can set up traps - you move fighters in and set them on heavy CAP if you expect enemy raid. But if the trap fails, you cant maintain such heavy CAP for more than day or two and you have to withdraw your fighters from base or lower the CAP if you want to prevent situation when 3/4 of your planes sit on runway damaged.

The problem is castor that you want have majority of your fighters in the air or alertfor too long period - you should give up this idea in Niks mod.

I know I have to give this idea up in niks mod. The problem is that this ruins the game I think. No, or nearly no cap means that the attacker is in a such good position that itīs not worth playing at all. And to set traps... well, tell me how I should do that as the Japanese when my Allied opponent sees a big dark sign the same turn the fighters are sent in (THIS IS KNOWN LONG ENOUGH TO BE CHANGED). Though I know thereīs some mod around that fixes this.

As I said, itīs just a bit of a strange play if you have no cap over any of your bases (and therefore no other planes there because they would get torched - if no cap). The attacker, no matter what side can easily wait and come in force. And traps just donīt work good enough to keep them up the whole game. Itīs disappointing for both players and for me itīs a big problem I havenīt realized quickly enough. Not enough cap over bases, not enough cap over carriers.

(in reply to kkoovvoo)
Post #: 37
RE: What I have Learned as Japanese Player - 1/9/2007 1:42:02 PM   
castor troy

quote:

And if you set CAP to 30 percent? You have decent radar so you should get more fighters in the air to invite incoming strike. And number of damaged planes will stay in acceptable numbers.

Of course this is fine for the Allied player. Bad for the Japanese as Japanese radar is broken.... So this will even more loopside the effects...

(in reply to kkoovvoo)
Post #: 38
RE: What I have Learned as Japanese Player - 1/9/2007 2:45:16 PM   
kkoovvoo

But only Type 13 radar (land) is broken...IIRC you have only to change its penetration value to 500 and it works. Each of us can do it. Ship-based radars should work.

I am keeping aircrafts in each of front airfields (at least recons) to prevent uncovering of aircrafts transfers for my opponent. For example I had recon planes in Akyab and I managed to moved in 3 daitais of Tojos and Tonys in and Sweep Chittatong (I shot down 8 and lost 5 planes) unnoticed.

I try to keep bigger concentrations of aircrafts out of range of short-range fighters (i.e. 6 hexes or more distant from nearest enemy base). I am not telling it is safe - i had fierce battles over Rabaul and lost many planes but also destroyed around 80 P38Gs in a month - it will take my opponent 3 months to replace losses and Rabaul wasnt attacked since then. In september (i am in late july 43 now) P38J with replacement rate 90/month will appear so maybe I wont be able to maintain this tactic - but so far it works.

It makes no sense to have 10-20 planes CAP over the front bases - as often mentioned "who tries to defend everything defends nothing". AA fire is improved so take advantage of it.

EDIT:
What I want to say is that despite Allies have superiority in the air, I feel far from helpless as Japanese player.

< Message edited by kkoovvoo -- 1/9/2007 3:08:10 PM >

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 39
RE: What I have Learned as Japanese Player - 1/9/2007 3:25:57 PM   
castor troy

quote:

But only Type 13 radar (land) is broken...IIRC you have only to change its penetration value to 500 and it works. Each of us can do it. Ship-based radars should work.

I am keeping aircrafts in each of front airfields (at least recons) to prevent uncovering of aircrafts transfers for my opponent. For example I had recon planes in Akyab and I managed to moved in 3 daitais of Tojos and Tonys in and Sweep Chittatong (I shot down 8 and lost 5 planes) unnoticed.

I try to keep bigger concentrations of aircrafts out of range of short-range fighters (i.e. 6 hexes or more distant from nearest enemy base). I am not telling it is safe - i had fierce battles over Rabaul and lost many planes but also destroyed around 80 P38Gs in a month - it will take my opponent 3 months to replace losses and Rabaul wasnt attacked since then. In september (i am in late july 43 now) P38J with replacement rate 90/month will appear so maybe I wont be able to maintain this tactic - but so far it works.

It makes no sense to have 10-20 planes CAP over the front bases - as often mentioned "who tries to defend everything defends nothing". AA fire is improved so take advantage of it.

EDIT:
What I want to say is that despite Allies have superiority in the air, I feel far from helpless as Japanese player.

I can tell the difference between a single recon or three daitais of fighters with ease when looking at the airfield sign. And besides that I would recon the target anyway before sending in any bombers. Those traps donīt work with me nor with my opponents. From the moment the Allied player takes one base in the Solomons, New Guinea, Borneo or another big island with lots of bases it would mean I have to give it up completely because the distances are just too short to not have hordes of short legged fighters everywhere. Iīm not complaining about losing planes or losing the war (which is unevitable anyway as the Japanese - and Iīm playing the Allied also), for me, itīs a problem not to be able to defend major bases. Iīm not talking about small size 2 airfields, Iīm talking about places like Rabaul, Truk, Tarawa, Rangoon,.... I have to fight for those places - and I know I will lose them, but I should inflict damage to my opponent, which isnīt possible with a trap tactic nor with damaged planes because of flying cap without engaging in a fight...

< Message edited by castor troy -- 1/9/2007 3:38:12 PM >

(in reply to kkoovvoo)
Post #: 40
RE: What I have Learned as Japanese Player - 1/9/2007 5:09:11 PM   
Nikademus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Przemcio231

lansoar@hotmail.com

Post #: 41
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: What I have Learned as Japanese Player Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI