Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Help with ASW

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Harpoon 3 - Advanced Naval Warfare >> Help with ASW Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Help with ASW - 1/7/2007 7:17:07 PM   
msin

I decided to dust off H3 ANW since the latest patch (3.7.3 I believe) corrected the problems with using the Numlock key on my laptop. Based on a discussion in another recent thread, I tried playing the scenario "Watch the 1st Step" as the US using the ANW 2.0 database.

All I can say is that I must really suck at this game and am in need of some help with ASW

I am able to farily quickly pick up the nearest Alfa. Upon initial detection, I launch the helo from the DD and use dipping sonar to localize the contact. My helo quickly firms up the contact using passive dipping sonar and then drops a torp within a 1 nautical mile. From this point on, everything goes wrong...

The sub detects the torp and quickly accelerates to 40 kts. I enable active sonar on my hovering sub to watch the "chase". At first it appears that my torp is on an intercept and will hit but then never does. I watch, dumbfounded, as my torp either goes into a circular search pattern or passes over the sub without exploding. I have tried bracketing the Alfa with torps from both the Helo and a nearby P3 but none will ever hit the sub...

Thinking that this may be FOW related I restarted the scenario with auto-detect enabled to simply verify that I can sink a sub. Unfortunately, the results are the same. I can drop any number of torps on top of the sub and none will ever hit...

On a lark, I ran the same scenario using the ODB database and encountered slightly different results. Using this DB, I was able to have my P3 drop a torp near the sub and was rewarded with a kill.

Am I employing incorrect tactics when playing under the ANW 2.0 DB (and if so, tips would be greatly appreciated) or is this a possible bug with the ANW 2.0 DB?

In the battle between good and evil, evil has more fun...
Post #: 1
RE: Help with ASW - 1/7/2007 11:42:02 PM   
msin

Dale,

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll look forward to the results of your testing. But for now, stop checking the message board and enjoy dinner with your family

I have attached two save game files for others to use for testing this issue. Just change the file extension from ".txt" to ".zip"

Both save files use the ANW 2.0 database with Auto-detect turned on for testing purposes.

"One.Sav" - Situation just before dropping the first torp on the Alfa. I have on station one Helo and one P3.

"Two.Sav" - Good demonstration of the problem. The Alfa is surrounded by no less than 4 active torps, yet none will lock onto the alfa.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 2
RE: Help with ASW - 1/9/2007 2:24:02 AM   
msin

quote:

ORIGINAL: VCDH

I should have the DB and scearios updated by the time we release 3.8.

Later
D

Great news!!! For once I can blame a scenario failure on something other than my incompetence at naval warfare

I look forward to once again showing my utter disregard for good tactics when 3.8 is released.

Thanks Dale

Post #: 3
RE: Help with ASW - 1/10/2007 5:42:33 PM   
PaulN

No no no !... Submarines are not meant be destroyed: they are INVINCIBLE ! haha

sorry i just wanted to play with these again:

haah I love smilie:

Paul. ....

Thanks, I feel much better now.
CYA !

PS: If it was HMAS Collins , you would never have seen it comming ....

(in reply to msin)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Harpoon 3 - Advanced Naval Warfare >> Help with ASW Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI