Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Possible Exocet Bug?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Harpoon 3 - Advanced Naval Warfare >> Harpoon 3 ANW Support >> Possible Exocet Bug? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Possible Exocet Bug? - 1/14/2007 6:41:54 PM   
msin

I was playing the ODB version of "A Naval Border War" in GC-1 last night and encountered a possible problem with Exocet missiles.

I played the scenario as Peru and hence had 2 Sea kings and 6 Mirages equipped with the AM.39 Exocet SSM missiles. According to the database, these missiles have a max range of 36 miles. I found, however, that no matter how close my aircraft would get to their targets, these Exocets would never fire. When attempting to fire between 25 - 35 miles, I would recieve a pop-up window stating that none of the units were within range. Between 10 - 25 miles, the weapon allocation window would open but the Exocets would be listed as "seeker unable to aquire target". My Mirages & Sea kings were never able to get closer than 10 miles without being shot down.

I tried firing from different altitudes and speeds but the results were always the same. I would be interested in seeing if others can reproduce this problem or provide some insight on how these weapons should be used.

for reference, I am playing with the 3.8 RC4 version.

In the battle between good and evil, evil has more fun...
Post #: 1
RE: Possible Exocet Bug? - 1/14/2007 7:57:34 PM   
YankeeAirRat

Do you have a positive ID of the target? I know I am still using 3.7.3 and just tested it in the scenario editor by placing a target ship (the commerical trawler) out there and then putting both the ASH-3D and Mirage 2000E near by it. I couldn't get a missile launch from the Mirage until I had positively ID'd the target ship by flying the SH-3 by it.

Here are some excerpts from my AA Log to show what happened.
quote:

--- New Contact ---
Designate as SKUNK-16
Small surface contact.
  Detected by Mirage 2000E
Time: 19:00:07
Method: Radar 

This is the inital dectection by the radar on board the Mirage of the trawler. I was still outside the max range of the target. Ordered an intercept.

quote:

Ordering intercept.
--- New Contact ---
Designate as SKUNK-27
Medium surface contact.
  Detected by Mirage 2000E
Time: 19:01:16
--- New Contact ---
Designate as SKUNK-28
Medium surface contact.
  Detected by Mirage 2000E
Time: 19:01:32
--- New Contact ---
Designate as SKUNK-29
Medium surface contact.
  Detected by Mirage 2000E
Time: 19:01:33

Detected the rest of the hostile fleet. When this occured I was by now well with in optimum engagement range witht the exocet and still got the "not in range" dialog box.

quote:

Now click on spot to place this object.
Target 1
-- Positive ID --
Determined as hostile!
  Detected by Sea King (Peru)
Time: 19:02:08
Method: Radar, Visual
Sea King (Peru) has been detached from TF-1.
Ordering intercept.
--- New Contact ---
Designate as BOGIE-32
Small airborne contact.
  Detected by Aguirre
Time: 19:02:36
----------------------
Weapon Exocet is resolving its attack against Target 1
Attacking a surface target with base pH: 70%
Final pH: 70%
Roll: 72 (Miss)
----------------------
----------------------
Weapon Exocet is resolving its attack against Target 1
Attacking a surface target with base pH: 70%
Final pH: 70%
Roll: 30 (Hit)
----------------------
Target 1 has been hit by Exocet

I dropped in a SH-3D about 3nm from the target and the AI just went nuts. Missiles start to fly all over the place. My two fleets manuvered to get shots off with thier missiles. I am going to do some more testing after work and see if I can't duplicate your troubles in 3.7.3.
I would recommend if you want to try it again so that the AGSI folks can troubleshoot this you use the H3 Launcher and toggle the weapons calculations on and the autosave. That way you can have some records along with your after-action log to see just off hand what might be going wrong.

Take my word for it. You never want to be involved in an “International Incident”.

(in reply to msin)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Harpoon 3 - Advanced Naval Warfare >> Harpoon 3 ANW Support >> Possible Exocet Bug? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI