Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Tournament round 1 JanSorensen (Axis) vs Haudrauf1962 (Allies)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> After Action Reports >> Tournament round 1 JanSorensen (Axis) vs Haudrauf1962 (Allies) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Tournament round 1 JanSorensen (Axis) vs Haudrauf1962 (... - 1/17/2007 3:22:14 PM   
JanSorensen

Summer 1939
Germany: Poland and Denmark are taken.
Japan: No landing is made - only a few bombing raids targeting rails.

Fall 1939
Germany: The Wehrmacht takes the Low Countries positioning itself with the bulk of the force in Belgium, a handfull of units screening the French in the Maginot line and a couple of units in Poland to keep the Russians honest.
Japan: The Japanese manage to damage an INF as well as a factory by airial raids.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Tournament round 1 JanSorensen (Axis) vs Haudrauf19... - 1/17/2007 3:35:05 PM   
kondor

That was quick! AAR already?
Whery good, so we can cheer for our favorites (me, always for the underdog ).

gooooooo Haudrauf! no,no, if you by any chance lose from him...then you have to pound me into ground... goooooooo Jan!

good luck guys!

(in reply to JanSorensen)
Post #: 2
RE: Tournament round 1 JanSorensen (Axis) vs Haudrauf19... - 1/17/2007 8:50:32 PM   
MrLongleg

By overrunning our fellow nations of Poland and the Low Countries the free nations have to stick together and prepare for a long and bloody fight. The French army decided a surprise attack on Germany, but in spite of heroic fighting the attack ended in a disaster not even coming close to the expected results. We will never forget the sacrifice of the brave French soldiers and will finally overcome the evil Axis powers.

Attachment (1)

MrLongleg

Life is too short to drink bad wine ;-)

Post #: 3
RE: Tournament round 1 JanSorensen (Axis) vs Haudrauf19... - 1/18/2007 12:12:53 AM   
JanSorensen

Winter 1940
France falls with light loses to the Germans.
In China another factory is damaged (hot dice) and the Chinese use their remaining supply against the Japanse air raids.

Spring 1940
Italy joins the war but faced wth a RN force of 4HS+3LS in the Central Med the Italians only action is to send a sub to the E. Med to hit a TRS. US public is outraged. Meanwhile German troops take Yugoslavia without loss and combined German air and sub forces take out a UK FTR, TRS and HF.
In China no factories are hit despite 5 HB trying their earnest. Instead a Chinese FTR, INF and AA are damaged - the lack of supply is showing an effect.

No screen shot this time around.

(in reply to MrLongleg)
Post #: 4
RE: Tournament round 1 JanSorensen (Axis) vs Haudrauf19... - 1/18/2007 3:49:44 PM   

Seems to me Haudrauf ('hit on it' in german) didn't put enough troops in E France in Su39 as the allies. WAllies can put almost all their ground units in E France, like 30+ units, and make a german attack into LC unlikely in Fa39, because of a possible attack on WGermany. Any support here on this? Against ChrisBrown I counter-attacked in LC, and France only fell Su40 instead. I usually only attack Wi40, when it's 'safe'.

Post #: 5
RE: Tournament round 1 JanSorensen (Axis) vs Haudrauf19... - 1/18/2007 4:17:47 PM   
JanSorensen

Summer 1940

Mostly positioning. A RN CV attack damages an Italian HF during spring and the Italians damage a UK LF in return with a small air raid into the Central Med. Apart from that nothing happens in Europe.
In China the remaining 2 factories are damaged and the Jap armor arrives but still no land attacks.

A screen shot will be coming after my next turn.

@Avatar - I concur. You still need to be cautions with the counterattack though lest you end up with all the WA troops in TLC so the Germans can easily take E. France and then drive the BEF into the sea from TLC. Thats probably best debated in a seperate thread though or we risk a hi-jacking.

(in reply to Avatar47)
Post #: 6
RE: Tournament round 1 JanSorensen (Axis) vs Haudrauf19... - 1/18/2007 10:11:52 PM   
MrLongleg

Yeah - put salt intop my wounds. But of course you are right. Next time I know better. I had a chance to get 6 to 7 hits, but in the end I only had 3. So it was not at all a good deal.

BTW, in Spring 40 the Allied forces had their first victory by heavily damaging an Italian HF in the med.

MrLongleg

Post #: 7
RE: Tournament round 1 JanSorensen (Axis) vs Haudrauf19... - 1/22/2007 4:25:48 PM   
JanSorensen

Fall 1940

The Luftwaffe presence in Italy appears to have made the RN leave the C. Med and with Malta only lightly defended the Italians take control of said island. Meanwhile the Wehrmacht counters an English coup in Greece with a swift occupation.

In China the Japanese bombers force the Chinase factories into the red all around. Still no sign of any land attacks.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to MrLongleg)
Post #: 8
RE: Tournament round 1 JanSorensen (Axis) vs Haudrauf19... - 1/29/2007 11:32:59 AM   
JanSorensen

Winter + Spring.

Preparations for Barbarossa, a few uboats killing TRS, German air vs British navy in the E. Med and Jap planes continuing to keep the Chinese factories from producing.

Soon the war shall see real war though.

Post #: 9
RE: Tournament round 1 JanSorensen (Axis) vs Haudrauf19... - 1/30/2007 1:37:42 AM   
JanSorensen

Summer 1941 - much fun to be had (for the Axis anyway).

This turn my efforts to take Malta paid off big time - as the Spanish coup was triggered. The Spanish army quicky marched on Portugal and Gibraltar. Meanwhile in the other end of the Med. the Italian fleet spotted an undefended Cairo and a quick amph op. was mounted to make the Med. Mara Nostrum though with several CW forces holding the northern shores of Africa. Thats far from all because the Rodina was attacked as well - with Leningrad, Kiev, Kharkov and Belorussia falling with German efficiency.

Not to be completely outdone the Japanese took Vlad and Irkutsk though the outrage from the US may make that a costly decision. It wont be long till the US unfreezes (USWR is something like 28-33).

Attachment (1)

Post #: 10
RE: Tournament round 1 JanSorensen (Axis) vs Haudrauf19... - 1/30/2007 11:50:34 PM   
gingerbread

I can't figure out how Iraq fell to the axis - did you get the coup in Spring '41?

Post #: 11
RE: Tournament round 1 JanSorensen (Axis) vs Haudrauf19... - 1/31/2007 12:43:03 AM   
JanSorensen

The coup in Iraq was in Winter 1941.

< Message edited by JanSorensen -- 1/31/2007 1:09:11 AM >

(in reply to gingerbread)
Post #: 12
RE: Tournament round 1 JanSorensen (Axis) vs Haudrauf19... - 1/31/2007 8:56:02 AM   
kondor

is it just to me, or does Iraq and Spain coup always happen?

Post #: 13
RE: Tournament round 1 JanSorensen (Axis) vs Haudrauf19... - 1/31/2007 11:32:05 AM   
Grimmbro

I haven't had a good Spain or Iraq coup since the latest patch  and the Allied AI likes to pour in the Allied fleets..

And wow, big fighter upgrades already and a lot of them. I tend to go Bombers, maybe a mistake to do so? What were your research priorities?

< Message edited by Grimmbro -- 1/31/2007 11:46:25 AM >

(in reply to kondor)
Post #: 14
RE: Tournament round 1 JanSorensen (Axis) vs Haudrauf19... - 2/1/2007 4:07:40 PM   
JanSorensen

Fall 1941

Kursk is taken with haevy casulties inflicted on the low-tech Russians.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Grimmbro)
Post #: 15
RE: Tournament round 1 JanSorensen (Axis) vs Haudrauf19... - 2/1/2007 4:14:32 PM   
JanSorensen

Quality > Quantity.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 16
RE: Tournament round 1 JanSorensen (Axis) vs Haudrauf19... - 2/1/2007 4:47:52 PM   
GKar

So what are the stats of the most important land units?

Post #: 17
RE: Tournament round 1 JanSorensen (Axis) vs Haudrauf19... - 2/1/2007 7:58:19 PM   
JanSorensen

Inf 7/7 vs 6/4
Arm 9/8 vs 6/7
Ftr 2/7/7 vs 1/6/6

(in reply to GKar)
Post #: 18
RE: Tournament round 1 JanSorensen (Axis) vs Haudrauf19... - 2/2/2007 10:25:00 AM   
Bubble

Ouch. This is almost as painful as the outcome of the Kursk combat above. I'd shed tears over that if I were the SU.

Post #: 19
RE: Tournament round 1 JanSorensen (Axis) vs Haudrauf19... - 2/2/2007 11:10:30 AM   
MrLongleg

In deed, that was a total catastrophy. I could not believe the result when I saw it. Obviously it is very important to invest more heavily in research on the Russian side. But I still wonder, how Jan was able to build such a strong army and still was able to spend significant research points. Chapeau, Jan.

Now the Allies are working on the plan "Divine intervention", because that is exactly what is needed by the Allies now

MrLongleg

(in reply to Bubble)
Post #: 20
RE: Tournament round 1 JanSorensen (Axis) vs Haudrauf19... - 2/2/2007 2:44:41 PM   
Rabbitman

Well the Axis had to do well in at least one of these battles.

Kudos on your performance JS.

(in reply to MrLongleg)
Post #: 21
RE: Tournament round 1 JanSorensen (Axis) vs Haudrauf19... - 2/2/2007 3:04:41 PM   
JanSorensen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Haudrauf1962

In deed, that was a total catastrophy. I could not believe the result when I saw it. Obviously it is very important to invest more heavily in research on the Russian side. But I still wonder, how Jan was able to build such a strong army and still was able to spend significant research points.

I dont really think I had a large army. On the turn I attacked Russia I had (including the Spanish units)
25 INF (so I produced very few of those)
15 ARM (my main building program - and what I consider the norm)
40 MIL (well, minors mostly)
11 ART (I believe I produced 3 of those only and nothing spent on tech)
6 AA (none producedand nothing spent on tech)

10+5 FTR (my other large building program)
2 TAC (none produced and no tech spent)
5 Hvy Bombers (2 produced and teched to LA5 as I recall)

5+3 subs (so very few produced and tech only 3/3)

So, I didnt really produce much of anything except armor and fighers and I only had 190 supplies when I attacked in Summer 1941.

(in reply to MrLongleg)
Post #: 22
RE: Tournament round 1 JanSorensen (Axis) vs Haudrauf19... - 2/2/2007 6:36:39 PM   
Forwarn45

I have found that artillery for the Soviets can make a difference in the long-run and let them score a few hits. But even so, in the first couple turns, it's not that unusual for the Soviets to have these kind of lop-sided battles. Keep fighting!

Post #: 23
RE: Tournament round 1 JanSorensen (Axis) vs Haudrauf19... - 2/2/2007 7:06:10 PM   
mikemcmann

Yeah, I produce hordes of Arty for the soviets. In my game against MQuiet, I currently have 45 arty units and it is just winter 43.  They are teched to 9 LA so they wreak havoc in the first to range attacks for land battles.  That is what is winning the war for me on the russian frontline. Lots of milita very little infantry and HORDES of artillery. Works so far....

Later

Mike

(in reply to Forwarn45)
Post #: 24
RE: Tournament round 1 JanSorensen (Axis) vs Haudrauf19... - 2/3/2007 1:56:51 PM   
JanSorensen

Winter - Moscow + Rostov are taken.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to mikemcmann)
Post #: 25
RE: Tournament round 1 JanSorensen (Axis) vs Haudrauf19... - 2/3/2007 3:49:06 PM   
MrLongleg

This means "game over" for me. The tournamenmt is my first PBEM experience and I really love the game. And of course I learned a lot of lessons and tricks during this game, which I haven't been aware of. What definitely killed me, was that I did not consider the fact, that supplies in an area are killed, when the enemy takes the area. Since the Red Army supply bases have been Moscow and Rostow, there is zero supply left. My lovely winter offensive stopped before it even could begin. I also strongly overestimated the Russian winter defensive capabilities. And I did not have enough forces to stop Germany and Japan at the same time. China is also paralized without any supplies and just 1 remaining factory with a single damage point. And the Western Allies have serious problems with their supply lines, not to talk about the blunder in Cairo.

It would be great to have a battle odds simulator to better judge the current situation on the front line. Maybe I think about writing a little simulator myself.

Thank you for the good and challenging game, Jan. I hope I wll have the chance for a revanche later.

Attachment (1)

MrLongleg

Post #: 26
RE: Tournament round 1 JanSorensen (Axis) vs Haudrauf19... - 2/3/2007 5:40:06 PM   
MrQuiet

Congratulations Mr Sorensen.
Jan is a very tough opponent to draw even if you are very experienced with the game.
Haudrauf1962 all you need is a draw in your other game with GKar and you will move on to the next round.

The tournament is progressing nicely and the ladder is starting to look alive.
Great Job Guys.

(in reply to MrLongleg)
Post #: 27
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> After Action Reports >> Tournament round 1 JanSorensen (Axis) vs Haudrauf1962 (Allies) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI