Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The future of PureSim

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> The future of PureSim Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The future of PureSim - 1/18/2007 4:29:26 AM   
puresimmer

Hey guys, I have a pretty important announcement.

As of today, I am retiring from commercial development of PureSim. I will continue to work on the game at my leisure and release updates, but PureSim 2007 is the last commercial release of the game.

Through a combination of my wife pointing out to me that I spend almost every non-real-job hour on the game, and the fact that I have a pretty stressful (increasingly so due to a recent promotion) real job I have decided to back off. My wife made a pretty heartfelt plea to re-engage with the family and I think she is right.

This doesn't mean PureSim is dead, it just means I will no longer charge for future updates, and I'll do things on my own time. I will most likely just make the game freely available at some point soon.

I want to thank Matrix Games, and specifically David Heath for their great support over the last few years. Matrix is a great company and I would strongly suggest that any developer looking to get published consider Matrix. I have to say, Matrix really has nothing to do with this decision -- Dave has NEVER imposed a deadline on me, or been even remotely difficult to work with. In fact the opposite is true.

Dave, thanks for everything!

- Shaun

Best Regards,
Shaun

< Message edited by puresimmer -- 1/18/2007 4:53:00 AM >

Developer, PureSim Baseball
Post #: 1
RE: The future of PureSim - 1/18/2007 4:47:40 AM   
timtellean1

Wow!!!!!!!!! Shaun you make a great game but I truly understand and respect the decison of family first they are the only thing that matter.

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 2
RE: The future of PureSim - 1/18/2007 4:50:52 AM   
KG Erwin

My first knee-jerk response is "say it isn't so!", but I understand. You've given us a great game as it presently exists. Anything more is just icing on the cake.

Thanks for your time and your efforts, Shaun. I really think that this game is a classic, as is, so be proud of what you've done.

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 3
RE: The future of PureSim - 1/18/2007 4:54:40 AM   
verizon32

Thanks Shaun

Best of Luck to you and your family

This was my first version getting Puresim 2007. I love it.

Sad there will be no Puresim 2008, but I am glad you will continue to support Puresim 2007 and continue to offer free updates for it.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 4
RE: The future of PureSim - 1/18/2007 5:02:17 AM   
puresimmer

Even better! I will just release free updates to PS 2007 for as long as people are interested!

(in reply to verizon32)
Post #: 5
RE: The future of PureSim - 1/18/2007 5:08:13 AM   
verizon32

quote:

ORIGINAL: puresimmer

Even better! I will just release free updates to PS 2007 for as long as people are interested!

Awesome. A lot of people are interest and are a big fan of yours.

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 6
RE: The future of PureSim - 1/18/2007 5:17:35 AM   
sposfan

Shaun, 

As someone who's been playing Puresim since day 1, I'd like to say thank you for a great game! I totally understand your situation and wish you and your family all the best. This latest version is the best one by far ( I actually just started a new career the other day!)! You've done a great job and come a long way since the first version.

Take care of yourself and your family and we'll look forward to more puresim! 

(in reply to timtellean1)
Post #: 7
RE: The future of PureSim - 1/18/2007 6:14:12 AM   
Edward

Thanks for everything. I respect your decision.

< Message edited by Edward -- 1/18/2007 6:47:09 AM >

(in reply to sposfan)
Post #: 8
RE: The future of PureSim - 1/18/2007 6:32:24 AM   
tbear2b

Good luck in the real world. Thanks for a great game.

(in reply to Edward)
Post #: 9
RE: The future of PureSim - 1/18/2007 6:59:48 AM   
jsriddle831

Shaun,

I've enjoyed your game over the years, and know from personal experience you are making a wise decision when listening to your spouse and family. You can never get back lost time with them.

Best wishes to you and your loved ones. Thanks again for a great game.

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 10
RE: The future of PureSim - 1/18/2007 7:50:16 AM   
Beach23BoyP

Shaun,

Sorry to see this happen. PS was a really fantastic achievement by "one man".

I've been gone lately because I've been XBox 360ing on my 65" big screen. College Hoop 2K7's coach/management sim is tremendous with both great game play graphics and a fairly deep coaching simulation. And the basketball games it produces are often barn burners. However, it is basketball and not baseball.

PS came very close to what I always wanted in a baseball game. Now the pressure is off and you can just add a thing or two now and then. Thanks!

< Message edited by Beach23BoyP -- 1/19/2007 6:22:44 AM >

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 11
RE: The future of PureSim - 1/18/2007 8:45:34 AM   
JoeRockhead

Best wish's Shaun. Thanks for making this game. I have come to really enjoy it.

(in reply to Beach23BoyP)
Post #: 12
RE: The future of PureSim - 1/18/2007 11:19:06 AM   
Marc Duffy

Shaun

This is a big shock and real sad news for the Baseball gaming community but I'm really glad you'll continue to work on the game at your own pace ... you are one of the good guys!!

best of luck and next time you are in London give me a bit more notice and we will meet up :)

Marc

(in reply to JoeRockhead)
Post #: 13
RE: The future of PureSim - 1/18/2007 1:13:12 PM   
VanScoy

Oddly enough, I am happy. Happy for you, Shaun, that you are smart enough to value things correctly and happy for PureSim since it goes out on top, as a good, solid game that never alienated its fans, try too hard to add complicated features and is totally playable forever in it's current state.

Best of luck!

(in reply to Marc Duffy)
Post #: 14
RE: The future of PureSim - 1/18/2007 1:50:11 PM   
rasnell

It is a shame that someone who brings such baseball simming joy to the world cannot be as rich as Bill Gates. I wished your passion for the game could have translated into full-time income.

I've been with you since the start and will continue watching for your future updates.

We've seen the decline of so many other baseball titles.

You and Markus Heinsohn have always been kind to each other -- and appropriately competitive with the advances in both of your games. One year he pulls ahead of you; last year was your best product ever, with in-game ball flight, affinity mode, and the ease and visual grace of simming a historical game. I expect Markus to set the new standard in the market in 2007.

I hope that Markus is able to keep Out of the Park going for many years because he's our last hope with you out of the market.

I think many of us have purchased every baseball sim (and arcade version) ever made. This is a loss to that world.

Is there any way to talk your wife into becoming a baseball fan and joining a baseball sim league? She would understand the passion and the addiction then. :)

(in reply to VanScoy)
Post #: 15
RE: The future of PureSim - 1/18/2007 3:54:38 PM   
URett

First of all Shaun, thank you for all your work over the years. Other games might have taken up my time temporarily, but I always came back to PureSim.

I hope you don't mind me asking, but how close did you ever come to doing this full-time?

(in reply to rasnell)
Post #: 16
RE: The future of PureSim - 1/18/2007 5:17:51 PM   
puresimmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: URett

First of all Shaun, thank you for all your work over the years. Other games might have taken up my time temporarily, but I always came back to PureSim.

I hope you don't mind me asking, but how close did you ever come to doing this full-time?

So close I could taste it.

(in reply to URett)
Post #: 17
RE: The future of PureSim - 1/18/2007 6:24:49 PM   
Dale And Elis Dad

Shaun:

As someone who's had various interactions with you over the years, I can't say I'm completely shocked by your decision.  You have always been a class act and a great person.  You're the kind of guy who always had his priorities in place and never allowed yourself to be drug into the petty squabbles that can sometimes effect a business.  The way you've conducted yourself in regards to Markus & other sims has been stellar.

So when I read that your wife came to you and asked you to re-prioritize your life because you may have lost some focus on the family and you made the decision to walk away I said to myself "THAT is why Shaun's a class act."  You made a very tough decision that many folks wouldn't have been able to make themselves.  You even said you were very close to being able to do this full time...and so many men would have told their wives to hang on just a little longer.

You are in inspiration, Shaun.  Part of me hopes your decision will weigh in on other guys in the same situation to make them check themselves. 

Just know a lot of loyal foot soldiers in General Heinsohn's army are standing and saluting you today, Sir.

Jason

Daleli Voice Productions
Radio, Television, Audiobooks
http://jasonwert.voice123.com

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 18
RE: The future of PureSim - 1/18/2007 7:08:20 PM   
Amaroq

Shaun, wow, what to say?

I can understand and empathize with your decision; I've certainly had to make similar choices of my own, and family came out "most important" in my choices as well.

However, this is a very sad day, in my mind: I firmly believe that this genre can and will grow out of a "niche" market, but seeing you take a step back from commercial, and knowing that that means you haven't found it commercially viable despite the incredible work you've done and your reputation for customer service - thats a hard blow not just for fans of the game, but for the entire genre.

You, my friend, have been an inspiration and a role model for me: when, as you know I intend to, I go into this business myself, your classy behavior, great work ethic, and customer-service focus will be my personal measuring stick, in much the same way that I use my memories of my late grandfather as a measuring stick for my personal integrity.

Wishing you all the best, my friend, and love to both you and yours.

-Amaroq

< Message edited by Amaroq -- 1/18/2007 7:20:50 PM >

(in reply to Dale And Elis Dad)
Post #: 19
RE: The future of PureSim - 1/18/2007 9:00:13 PM   
Bustoff

Shaun, about three decades ago I had to make the same kind of decision. I made the right one. You did too.

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 20
RE: The future of PureSim - 1/18/2007 10:15:06 PM   
dnelms

Shaun... I've been with this since the alpha & tech preview days and will continue to appreciate anything you add to the game. You have made the RIGHT decision. Family comes first and this was in your case a part-time job (though I'm sure your wife though it to be full-time). My kids are 18 now and I'm glad I stepped back and did as much as possible with them as they grew up. Of course it was all sports :) You made the decision for family and it is the right one. Enjoy everyday with them.

(in reply to Bustoff)
Post #: 21
RE: The future of PureSim - 1/18/2007 10:43:08 PM   
SirWolf1960

So, I guess this means PureSim Indoor Lacrosse is out of the question now????

First of all, thank you for countless hours of enjoyment, stress relief, and fun with this wonderful game. I have watched this thing grow from about Preview 8 or so, and have been amazed.

As much as I hate to admit it, I believe you have made the right decision. I know in my life, more times than not, if the wife suggests a change in my life, she is usually right. (I sure hope she doesn't read this forum...I hate to admit how often she is right)

I know we have had a few long conversations, and I believe I have some understanding of how much family means to you. And you are right.

I do hope you decide to tweak the game as you can. I suppose, next year, you can call a group of tweaks PS2008, and release it as freeware. I also hope this fine community of players will continue to chat it up on here. I just got done reading a wonderful story from one player's high school days. I love that type of stuff.

In closing, I wish you nothing but the best in whatever direction life takes you. May God be with you.

Steve

(in reply to dnelms)
Post #: 22
RE: The future of PureSim - 1/18/2007 10:43:08 PM   
PadresFan104

Shaun -

Wanted to say thanks for letting me be a small part of your development process, and I hope I can continue to help out in any way you'll let me after the game goes freeware. Working with you and supporting this game has been an incredibly fullfilling & rewarding experience. Please thank your wife and kids for me as well!

Al

PadresFan's Text Sim Mod Website: http://www.padresfanmods.net
Follow Me On Twitter: http://twitter.com/padresfanmods

(in reply to dnelms)
Post #: 23
RE: The future of PureSim - 1/18/2007 10:50:27 PM   
XCom

Shaun, the time you miss with your kids can NEVER be recovered. They grow up so fast and before you know it you wonder where the time went. People grapple with this kind of decision all the time, and I'm afraid too many of us make the wrong choice. You've made the right decision and it is with great respect that I tip my cap to you for all that you've done for this community.

(in reply to dnelms)
Post #: 24
RE: The future of PureSim - 1/19/2007 12:22:03 AM   
The Monkey

Shaun, sad to hear you wont be going fulltime with Puresim or releasing newer versions...but happy to hear you've moved up in your career & will be spending more time with your family. I for one, will be very interested to see additions to the game, at whatever time or pace you feel like adding them. You should also setup a donation mechanism to allow people to contribute to your efforts when they feel inclined.

I dont suppose you'll be working on Puresim Football in your spare time as well?

Best Regards,
Steve

(in reply to XCom)
Post #: 25
RE: The future of PureSim - 1/19/2007 12:54:09 AM   
bigpapag

Shaun

The last 3 years, Puresim Baseball and yourself have helped me and my family get thru my illness and then a little storm called Katrina. THANK YOU.

My friend Always be proud and hold yourhead up high for the work and support you gave Puresim, it was unreal. Other game designers can learn from you.

Have a good life.

Big Papa G

(in reply to The Monkey)
Post #: 26
RE: The future of PureSim - 1/19/2007 12:58:32 AM   
kmac

Shaun -

Ditto to what everyone else is saying - good luck!

(in reply to bigpapag)
Post #: 27
RE: The future of PureSim - 1/19/2007 1:32:54 AM   
Cantankerous

Shaun,

It's sad to hear that you're "leaving", but good luck and good for you for making the decision that seems best for you.  Sometimes decisions like that can be very tough.

You mentioned that you are still going to make updates for PSB2007, so are there any chances that some of your work already done on PSB2008 will make it into PSB2007 updates?

(in reply to kmac)
Post #: 28
RE: The future of PureSim - 1/19/2007 2:35:20 AM   
Fanshawe40

Shaun:

First, thanks for such a great game. I have really enjoyed playing.

I hope the community you've created on these boards can stay together; it's a great part of the pleasure of the game.

Best to you and your family,

Jim

(in reply to Cantankerous)
Post #: 29
RE: The future of PureSim - 1/19/2007 3:26:09 AM   
puresimmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cantankerous

Shaun,

It's sad to hear that you're "leaving", but good luck and good for you for making the decision that seems best for you.  Sometimes decisions like that can be very tough.

You mentioned that you are still going to make updates for PSB2007, so are there any chances that some of your work already done on PSB2008 will make it into PSB2007 updates?

Absolutely.

(in reply to Cantankerous)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> The future of PureSim Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI