Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Dream Games

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Dream Games Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Dream Games - 5/12/2001 3:24:00 AM   
TheZel66

I always thought that the ideal game that I love to see at some point (5 years down the road??) is a tactical turn based game like Steel Panthers, but would allow you to also view the real action anywhere the map as first person, similar to the first person shooters of today.. (UnReal is way cool at its realistic graphics; imagine that engine with a WWII battle skin wrapped around it!!) ... Of course, wearing a virtual helmet and surround sound would almost put it over the top... Anyone else out there have their ideal wargames..

Post #: 1
- 5/12/2001 8:59:00 PM   
Ohio Redleg

Oh Lord, you got me started... In my mind, I have started to construct a matrix of the Ultimate Wargame. As I've done so, however, I've realized that there isn't just one ultimate wargame. There are ultimate wargames at each level-- individual, tactical (company - battalion+), operational (brigade- to division/corps) and strategic (country to world). In this matrix (which I should actually start putting in an Excel file now) would have these levels of play down the side with facets of military operations common throughout history. These would include (but not be limited to) Command and Control, Maneuver, Fire Support, and Service and Support (Logistics). Additionally, it would have such areas as scalability, sound, equipment databases, and more. If anyone would be interested in such a matrix I'd be happy to post it--- um, once it's finished.

"If you start to take Vienna, take Vienna." -- Napoleon

(in reply to TheZel66)
Post #: 2
- 5/22/2001 8:02:00 AM   
Lucky Kaa

quote:

Originally posted by TheZel: I always thought that the ideal game that I love to see at some point (5 years down the road??) is a tactical turn based game like Steel Panthers, but would allow you to also view the real action anywhere the map as first person, similar to the first person shooters of today..
Your game of the future may be here today: BTS' Combat Mission I just got my copy a few days ago. Check out the demo of CM at least.

(in reply to TheZel66)
Post #: 3
- 5/23/2001 8:15:00 PM   
TheZel66

Ive played a demo of this game. Not bad, and a great start, but the graphics aren't that good, and it needs the Steel Panthers variety to units..

(in reply to TheZel66)
Post #: 4
- 5/23/2001 10:48:00 PM   
Lucky Kaa

quote:

Originally posted by TheZel: Ive played a demo of this game. Not bad, and a great start, but the graphics aren't that good, and it needs the Steel Panthers variety to units..
The demo is extremely limited in what it shows you. You see a few shermans, a few StuGs, a Panther G, some infantry... In the full version, the variety of units is on par with SP. There are less countries, and it only deals with the time perios of Normandy - VE on the west front, but it gives you a good range of units from that time frame. Most tanks you find in SP (from the American, British, and German armories, at least) you find in CM. And as for graphics, the defaults ain't great, but there are hundreds of mods out, including quite a few high-resolution ones. With high-res terrain and units, I think the game looks pretty nice. At combatmission.com they have a collection of mods ranging from high-res grass to snow-camo Hetzers and to updates for the explosions in the game. In my opinion, you haven't lived until you bring a King Tiger over a white-capped hill and watch a platoon of Ronsons scurry for cover in the falling snow :) I play both games. Steel Panthers covers a much broader scope than CM (I'm loving the Guadacanal campaign right now) and I find I can set up a quick game a lot easier. You also have control over almost every move and shot your units make. CM is a bit more immersive. It's just damn cool to be able to lock your camera to a tank, and see it roll out from behind a hill and start blazing away, or to follow an infantry squad running between buildings in a city with tracers flying over your head. Just my opinion.

(in reply to TheZel66)
Post #: 5
- 5/24/2001 6:55:00 AM   
davidmiller

I play SPWAW and Combat Mission and both are terrific games. I prefer SPWAW due to my own preference of being able to look down directly on units and I enjoy the gameturn sequence. Combat Mission is outstanding and if you have a good 3D card, you could possibly be amazed at detail in the explosions, burning buildings, burning fields and types of weather you are fighting in. On my machine , the fog acually looks like real fog and its like looking out a car window in fog. It looks that real. SPWAW and Combat Mission are outstanding games. I feel that Matrix is probally the most suportive company I've had the honor of dealing with. Particularly, since SPWAW was completely free and they still upgrading it.

rabid lobo

(in reply to TheZel66)
Post #: 6
- 5/25/2001 10:08:00 PM   
TheZel66

I'll have to get the full version of Combat Mission... Too bad you cant toggle between the 3d view and the overhead "hex board" view... Thanks for the comments

(in reply to TheZel66)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Dream Games Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote