Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: A Test "Winter War" Battle

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> RE: A Test "Winter War" Battle Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: A Test "Winter War" Battle - 1/24/2007 6:36:27 PM   
Korpraali V

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Korpraali V

Finnish cavalry had its own formations. They never fought on horses, but always dismounted.

That's something new for me

New? You said the same before:

quote:

To my knowledge cavalry (horseback riding) was never used by finns in military action

Finnish cavalry was like mounted infantry: Moving by riding, fighting like other infantry. No cavalry charges etc. They were organised in cavalry regiments.

quote:

quote:

Finnish Vickers tanks were used only once, with very low success.

What was date of this?

26th of February 1940. That was the only time they were used during the Winter war. Some use took place during the Continuation war.

< Message edited by Korpraali V -- 1/24/2007 6:48:55 PM >

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 31
RE: A Test "Winter War" Battle - 1/24/2007 9:48:38 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Korpraali V

quote:

quote:

Finnish Vickers tanks were used only once, with very low success.

What was date of this?

26th of February 1940. That was the only time they were used during the Winter war.

Sounds like idea for scenario
Do you happen know more about that day?

< Message edited by Matti Kuokkanen -- 1/24/2007 10:00:26 PM >

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to Korpraali V)
Post #: 32
RE: A Test "Winter War" Battle - 1/25/2007 4:15:45 AM   
Korpraali V

quote:

Sounds like idea for scenario
Do you happen know more about that day?

Something...

http://www.winterwar.com/Battles/Naykkijaervi.htm

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 33
RE: A Test "Winter War" Battle - 1/25/2007 4:22:08 AM   
Korpraali V

Btw Gunny:

If you like to add some historical spice to your battle, you may want to consider taking command of the whole Regiment from the end of February (two weeks that will be). Casualties in the Ishtmus were so high that a Company could have been reduced to smaller unit than a Platoon. No chances for reinforcements excluding some single fighters and _small_ units. So having Battalion sized formation would mean that you are commanding a Regiment. Naturally the enemy won't be reduced...

Post #: 34
RE: A Test "Winter War" Battle - 11/6/2007 12:30:38 AM   
KG Erwin

Revisiting this subject: today I ordered the "Talvisota" DVD thru Amazon. One of the hosted dealers had it for $28. I've seen clips of this on YouTube, and I had to get it.

Also, someone on YouTube has posted a PBS documentary called "Fire and Ice".

Furthermore, my local library has a copy of William Trotter's "A Frozen Hell".

So, I'm gonna have another go at a short 5-battle generated campaign (Nov 1939-Mar 1940).

Now that ENH-DV is my standard playmode, maybe, just maybe, I can survive the war before the truce is declared.

In looking over past postings, it seems that the only real chance the Finns have would be an aggressive defensive scheme.

I'm gonna do a lot of studying and battle-testing before I attempt a DAR. My ingrained USMC-style firepower-heavy tactics have to be cast aside. That in itself is gonna be tough to do.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 11/6/2007 12:48:57 AM >

Post #: 35
RE: A Test "Winter War" Battle - 11/6/2007 2:35:01 AM   
KG Erwin

Here's one thing the DV team left out: Finnish weapon 88 is called "knife". You messed up on this one -- it's called "puukko". Apparently it has much symbolic meaning. I changed it in my personal OOBs.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 36
RE: A Test "Winter War" Battle - 11/6/2007 2:57:01 AM   
Alby

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

Here's one thing the DV team left out: Finnish weapon 88 is called "knife". You messed up on this one -- it's called "puukko". Apparently it has much symbolic meaning. I changed it in my personal OOBs.

we didnt miss it, we didnt change any weapons names to native languages that i recall
if we had, we would probably still be working on it...

< Message edited by Alby -- 11/6/2007 3:06:44 AM >

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 37
RE: A Test "Winter War" Battle - 11/6/2007 3:37:07 AM   
KG Erwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alby

quote:

we didnt miss it, we didnt change any weapons names to native languages that i recall

That's fine, Alby. I just changed it to suit my own preferences.

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 38
RE: A Test "Winter War" Battle - 11/6/2007 9:24:08 PM   
Alby

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alby

quote:

That's fine, Alby. I just changed it to suit my own preferences.

Change it back, it doesnt suit mine...LOL

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 39
RE: A Test "Winter War" Battle - 11/7/2007 5:05:05 PM   
String

Just tried out a finnish campaign of my own as well.

I bought three companies of ski infantry, a platoon of engineers and jaegers. 6x81mm mortars and 4x76mm howitzers for artillery and platoon of infantry AT's, two 37mm AT guns make up the AT force. Two tanks and an armored car was also bought for future upgrading.

Not sure how historical that is, but sounds more or less okay for me, except the tanks, but those I bought, as I said, for future upgrading to use in the continuation war.

First mission was an advance. For the prep points I got 3 150mm batteries and 2 122mm batteries.

The whole thing was a wild success, I was opposed only by soviet infantry and the AI left map edges uncovered so it was very easy to encircle the soviets and advance on from the flanks. The armored car proved most useful, at one time forcing the surrender of 5-6 soviet squads that had retreated into its hex.

The heavy artillery units kept most of the soviet infantry supressed and most of my casualties came when most of the soviet infantry from the centre started retreating on a few ski squads which were in a blocking position and when a 203mm soviet battery caught my engineer platoon in the open. In the end the soviets managed to rout 3 ski infantry squads.

Total losses were 87 finns vs 930+ soviets. Could have been more for the soviets but when their force morale broke i decided to just keep the remains of the soviet centre encircled and under constant artillery attack while my ski squads rushed through the AT guns in the rear to occupy the last victory hexes.

The Ski infantry is VERY good on advance, combining great mobility with good firepower. I felt that this was a good example of finnish tactics during the winter war, but I'm sure more knowledgeable members of this forum will correct me if i'm wrong.

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 40
RE: A Test "Winter War" Battle - 11/7/2007 7:27:38 PM   
KG Erwin

Nothing wrong with that force mix, String. I opted for a fairly strict 1939 force (no ATRs, no ski troops).

The Jaeger squads (Jaakirirhyma) are as fast as the ski troops, and similarly armed (rifles, SMGs, Molotovs, hand grenades). A standard 1939 infantry battalion had one platoon of them.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 11/8/2007 12:07:53 AM >

(in reply to String)
Post #: 41
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> RE: A Test "Winter War" Battle Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI