Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Small Ship, Big War - The Disciple

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Small Ship, Big War - The Disciple Page: <<   < prev  106 107 [108] 109 110   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Small Ship, Big War - The Disciple - 7/23/2008 8:44:00 PM   
F6frc

Always great, never enough!

(in reply to thegreatwent)
Post #: 3211
RE: Small Ship, Big War - The Disciple - 7/24/2008 3:30:58 PM   
Feinder

There's always got to be a villian.  We had that bone-head in the KGB (or whatever it was), and now Okubo.  He's certainly smarter and not so impulsive, so he'll probably stick around for a bit.

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to F6frc)
Post #: 3212
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/24/2008 7:43:07 PM   
Cuttlefish

May 12, 1944

Course: Docked
Attached to: TF 23
Mission: Air combat
System Damage: 1
Float Damage: 0
Fires: 0
Fuel: 475

Orders: Return to Osaka

---

News of the victory at Woleai reached Japan ahead of Hibiki and, magnified by the press into something more glorious and significant than it actually was, caused great celebration. By the time they reach the docks at Kobe, though, the return of the warships is all but ignored. A more recent event has pushed talk about almost anything else into the background.

---

“Hey, everyone, look at this!” Oizuma, one of the sailors responsible for securing the gangway, bustles back up on deck waving a newspaper. A few sailors gather around and are soon joined by others. Petty officers that come over to get people back to work end up grabbing the newspaper and jawing with the rest of the crew over the headline. Ensign Izu, the officer of the deck, finally seizes the newspaper and restores some order. As the crew moves away, still talking among themselves, Izu stands alone and stares disbelievingly at the headline: “Nagasaki Bombed!”

---

Excerpt from "Naval Battles of the Pacific, Volume 7: Ring of Steel" by Morris Elliot Samuelson; Harper, Row, and Fujimori, New York, 1965

The B-29 raid on Nagasaki had much more far-reaching effects on Japan than the modest damage inflicted by the bombs. It was a severe shock to the Japanese people, who even after two and a half years of war imagined that their home islands were secure from attack. It very nearly toppled the Tojo government, already on the defensive for its failure to stop the Allied advance in the Pacific.

Amid the confusion it took some time for the Japanese to determine from where the bombers had come. First reports that they had come from bases in the Soviet Union caused great concern. Matters were not helped when President Roosevelt airily stated to the press that they had been based “in Shangra-La”.

Eventually Japanese intelligence learned the truth. Incredible though it seemed to them, the bombers had come from Chungking. Over the next several weeks other raids followed: the port at Okayama was bombed, as were Mitsubishi engine plants at Kitakyushu and Matsuyama. Though initially slow to react the Japanese were by this time able to base a large number of fighter planes in western Japan and a raid in early June against Sasebo met heavy opposition. Eighteen of the one hundred and forty B-29s involved failed to return.

Following this raid General Curtis LeMay cancelled the “Chungking Express”, as the raids had become known. The distance was too great, allowing only a small bomb load to be carried, and the number of miles to Japan took a toll even on bombers that did not suffer damage from fighters or flak. LeMay joined those pushing strongly for a faster advance in the Pacific. Bases in the Philippines or the Marianas would allow…

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3213
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/24/2008 8:04:00 PM   
FeurerKrieg

The war arrives at the Home Islands....

Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3214
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/24/2008 8:27:40 PM   
thegreatwent

Time to put on our "The end is near" signs.

(in reply to FeurerKrieg)
Post #: 3215
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/25/2008 12:23:15 AM   
Radio

A Spectacular AAR Cuttlefish, thanks for taking the time to write this.

Ever since I discovered this game and these forums a week ago I've been torn between spending my time playing the game or reading your story.

I can now get back to embarrassing myself in my game against Mr.AI (Fortunately he's a closed mouth type who never squeals).

EDIT: I cant find "12 Islands to Freedom" on Amazon. Is it out of print?

< Message edited by RabidGibbon -- 7/25/2008 2:32:24 AM >

Post #: 3216
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/25/2008 3:07:49 AM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

ORIGINAL: thegreatwent

Time to put on our "The end is near" signs.

I wouldn't go that far yet! For one thing, operations involving the Hibiki have a high success rate. More important, the USN is paying for every new captured base, and with the "interlocking fire" of Guam, Saipan, and Tinian, the cost could be high indeed.

I am impressed that the Allies managed to get B-29's operating this soon, and from China, no less. Speaking of that theater, I wonder how the Great Seige of Mandalay is going?

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

Post #: 3217
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/25/2008 4:15:41 AM   
Skipjack

While Combined Fleet withdrawls after it's successful mission, I'm guessing it's time for an massive assault on the Marianas.   I want to see how many N1Ks are available to fight off the U.S. CVs

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 3218
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/25/2008 7:20:23 PM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: RabidGibbon

A Spectacular AAR Cuttlefish, thanks for taking the time to write this.

Ever since I discovered this game and these forums a week ago I've been torn between spending my time playing the game or reading your story.

I can now get back to embarrassing myself in my game against Mr.AI (Fortunately he's a closed mouth type who never squeals).

EDIT: I cant find "12 Islands to Freedom" on Amazon. Is it out of print?

Welcome to the AAR and to the forums! As far as "Twelve Islands to Freedom" goes, of the several fictional post-war books that have been mentioned in this AAR that is the one that I, personally, would most like to read. We only got a few hints of what Barnwell went through to escape the Japanese advance in the DEI but I bet the rest would make a terrific story.

(in reply to Radio)
Post #: 3219
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/25/2008 7:22:32 PM   
Cuttlefish

May 13, 1944

Fuel: 472

Orders: Await further orders

---

Seaman First Class Riku Ariga sits on a bench in a small park near the docks. He is reading a letter from Nanami Shun for the second time. It is a good letter, and he will probably read it three or four more times before the day is out. For the moment, however, he carefully folds it and puts it away. It is pleasant to just sit in the sun and relax, if only for another hour or two.

Though the cherry trees have long since dropped their blossoms there are flowers growing in bright profusion in the flower beds. Here and there vendors wander by with their carts, their business selling bento lunches beginning to pick up as noon approaches. There are mothers here with their children and couples strolling past. It is an entirely typical and pleasant urban scene and if it was not for the fact that so many of the men present are in uniform one would hardly know there is a war going on.

A shadow falls over Riku and he looks up. A man is standing there looking at him. The man is wearing a weathered coverall. He is of middle years and looks strong and fit despite a slight paunch and the fact that he is missing two teeth. Riku immediately places him as a dockworker, a breed known to every large port in the world. What such a man would want with him here he has no idea.

“Mr. Ariga?” says the man, bowing slightly.

“That’s me,” acknowledges Riku. He does not get up. “What may I do for you?”

The man sits at the other end of the bench, turning to face him.

“My apologies for disturbing you,” he says. “But you were pointed out to me by mutual acquaintances. My name is Kado. I have a business offer for you, if you would care to listen to it.”

Ah, thinks Riku. Of course. “I am sorry to disappoint you,” he says politely. “I am not interested.”

“No?” says Kado. He smiles, showing more of his bad teeth. “It would take very little of your time and would reward you handsomely. I represent an enterprising businessman and all he needs from you are the names of some of your contacts.”

“I regret that I cannot help you,” says Riku.

Kado sighs. “I see you are not a man to sell what he knows cheaply,” he says. “This is good. You know the value of things. Let me tell you, then, that in return for what you know I can offer you 1% of the profits that would result. There is no risk to you and the total value of that might be realized is quite high.” He names a figure that impresses even Riku. One percent of that sum would more than…

No. “Perhaps I have not made myself clear, Mr. Kado,” he says. “I appreciate the generous offer, but I am no longer in business in any form or at any price. You will have to look elsewhere for the assistance you need.”

Kado scrutinizes Riku for a moment. Finally he stands.

“I am sorry to have disturbed you, then,” he says. He nods at Riku and then turns and exits the small park, disappearing among the other pedestrians.

Riku gazes after him for a moment. Something about the encounter strikes him as slightly off. The man to all appearances was a typical wharf rat but something about his language was a little too smooth. In his time Riku has dealt with everyone from bankers to smugglers but he cannot quite place this Kado character. Oh well, he thinks. The man is gone now.

Riku takes out Nanami’s letter and begins to read it again.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3220
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/26/2008 8:32:18 PM   
Cuttlefish

May 14, 1944

Fuel: 471

---

There is little fresh war news awaiting Hibiki’s crew when they return to Japan. Following the conquest of Eniwetok the enemy fleets have again withdrawn to the east. All eyes are on the Marianas, almost certainly their next target, but right now quiet seems to have once again fallen over the Pacific.

The air raid on Nakasaki has caused a great deal of anxiety, of course, but the government is working hard to calm people by projecting an image of strength. Popular songs confidently invite the big silver bombers to return and be destroyed. New aircraft carriers are coming off the ways, ready to challenge the enemy. The core of the Combined Fleet’s strength remains intact.

People are getting used to doing with less than they used to. There is still plenty of food, and everyone is willing to give the military the lion’s share of industrial production. Convoys continue to arrive from the conquered areas to the south, bearing oil, minerals, food, rubber, and more. True, these convoys are bedeviled by the enemy’s cowardly, lurking submarines, but there are now new anti-submarine and convoy vessels available in increasing numbers and these have helped the situation a great deal. Newspapers proudly proclaim that ten enemy submarines have been found and sunk in the last month alone. If even half these claims are true Hibiki’s men are very glad to hear it.

There is little news out of China. News reports continue to boast of the heroic Japanese Army’s stand at Mandalay; the enemy has made no progress in Burma for months. The Bay of Bengal is a kind of watery no-man’s land; vessels on each side creep along the coasts, their crews nervously watching the sky.

The skies over Japan are clear. The spring weather has been unusually pleasant this year. But there are storm clouds on the horizon, though not everyone can see them. Not yet.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3221
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/28/2008 3:30:28 PM   
rjopel

Two day's without an update.....

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3222
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/28/2008 5:11:44 PM   
Andav

quote:

ORIGINAL: rjopel

Two day's without an update.....

Don't rush the master. And certainly don't scowl at him!

Something more like, "You sure must me busy Mr Cuttlefish ... Can I get you a beverage to get the creative juices flowing again? Do your laundry for you maybe?"

Walter

< Message edited by Andav -- 7/28/2008 5:12:19 PM >

(in reply to rjopel)
Post #: 3223
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/28/2008 5:14:55 PM   
rjopel

That's me shaking my head as in what will I do with myself.

MUST HAVE FIX.

(in reply to Andav)
Post #: 3224
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/28/2008 8:02:05 PM   
Cuttlefish

May 15, 1944

Fuel: 469

---

“Sir,” protests Lieutenant Miharu, “we might be ordered out again tomorrow.”

“Or we might not go anywhere for a month,” says Captain Ishii. “You are taking a week of leave, and that is final.” He is seated on the bridge, looking over supply reports.

“Well…if you insist, sir,” says the lieutenant, reluctantly.

“I do, Exec,” says the captain firmly. There is a pause, punctuated only by the rustle of paper as Captain Ishii looks at another page.

“Sir, what do you think? Would Amaya be a good name if the baby is a girl, or do you think Kimi would be better?”

Captain Ishii lowers the papers and looks up at his executive officer. “Lieutenant Miharu. Go pack. Now.”

“Um, yes sir,” says the lieutenant. He salutes and leaves. Captain Ishii sighs and flips to another report.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3225
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/28/2008 8:03:36 PM   
Cuttlefish

May 16, 1944

Fuel: 467

---

There is a bar near the Imperial Navy docks in Osaka whose battered door is not even marked by a sign. You have to know it is there. Once you go inside and your eyes adjust to the dim interior it is obvious that this is a place for navy men. It isn’t just the rough, nautical décor. The men drinking or talking here are all obviously sailors, whether or not they are in uniform.

It is not a place you would comfortably linger if you did not belong. This includes not only civilians but most enlisted men and not a few officers as well. This is a place for men for whom the sea is or was their career. Every port has a place like this, or several.

Into this particular place on this particular afternoon walks Shun. Several people nod greetings as he passes them on their way to the bar. The bartender and owner, a retired chief named Sugai, greets him warmly and without being asked slides a glass of Shun’s favorite beer in front of him. Shun nods his thanks and takes a drink.

He has stood there for only a moment when a man emerges from a shadowy rear corner and approaches him. He is a thin, elderly man with a deeply lined face and only a single shock of wispy white hair atop his head. But despite his age is movements are brisk and there is still evidence of the strength he must have had in his younger days.

“Shun,” is all he says. Shun looks him over and then smiles.

“Nonaka,” he says. “It is good to see you. You look well.”

“I am doing all right,” Nonaka says with a slight shrug. “You look fit, old friend.”

“We are at war,” says Shun. “There is no time to become soft.” Sugai appears silently in front of them and sets a cup of sake in front of Nonaka, then vanishes again.

“Ah yes, the war,” Nonaka says. “The biggest war Japan has ever faced, and I sit on the docks and mend ropes.”

“You have done your part,” Shun says. “At Tsushima Strait and other places. It is up to others now.”

“I suppose,” says Nonaka. The men stand in comfortable silence for a moment, then Nonaka speaks again. “I hear that your daughter is to be wed and that congratulations are in order.”

Shun nods and takes a drink. “He is a sailor and a good man,” he says. “He would not be my choice for Nanami, but…”

“But he is her choice and you are wise enough to bow to the inevitable,” says Nonaka with a chuckle. “Good for you.” He suddenly becomes more serious. “Look, there is something you should know. The Rickshaw Man is in town.”

Shun looks sharply at him. “I thought he was dead.”

Nonaka shrugs his bony shoulders. “So did I. But he seems pretty lively for a ghost.”

“Hm,” grunts Shun. “I wonder what he is doing here?”

“Whatever Big Ears wants him to,” says Nonaka. “You may be sure of that.”

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3226
RE: Small Ship, Big War - The Disciple - 7/28/2008 8:18:46 PM   
Terminus

Oh dear... Sounds ominous...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to F6frc)
Post #: 3227
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/28/2008 8:42:38 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

Shun looks sharply at him. “I thought he was dead.”

Nonaka shrugs his bony shoulders. “So did I. But he seems pretty lively for a ghost.”

“Hm,” grunts Shun. “I wonder what he is doing here?”

“Whatever Big Ears wants him to,” says Nonaka. “You may be sure of that.”

I'm getting the feeling we've just seen something to do with Riku's unusual encounter . . .

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3228
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/28/2008 9:45:39 PM   
thegreatwent

quote:

I'm getting the feeling we've just seen something to do with Riku's unusual encounter . . .

I have the same feeling, hope this doesn't mess everything up for him...

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 3229
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/29/2008 8:02:19 AM   
gladiatt

Having to deal with a full scale war PBEM, and still taking time to create a great story, with suspens, emotions, laugh, i must bow to Cuttlefish talent !

Post #: 3230
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/29/2008 12:52:02 PM   
tocaff

I'd love to see the story board.  Imagine the stuff CF has trashed and never given us...............Still my 1st check on the forum.

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to gladiatt)
Post #: 3231
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/29/2008 7:24:37 PM   
Cuttlefish

May 17, 1944

Fuel: 465

---

Du Yuesheng, known to almost everyone as Big Ears Du, is the undisputed crime lord of Shanghai and thus the most powerful crime lord in all Asia and perhaps beyond. The Japanese may occupy Shanghai and Chinese puppets may administer it but the city is ruled by Du.

For Du’s Green Gang triad World War II is not a global conflict claiming millions of lives or a titanic struggle between freedom and tyranny. It is instead an opportunity for profit. War creates many needs and filling these needs can mean a great deal of money. Take quinine, for example. Everyone needs it, not everyone has it. Not all of the supplies from Java reach their intended destination. Some of it reaches the Green Gang, who are happy to allocate it based on that most Darwinian of criteria – the ability to pay.

The Japanese occupation has made little difference to Du’s various enterprises. Most Japanese officials are as happy to take bribes as their Chinese and British predecessors. Those who are actually more interested in doing their jobs well or furthering the goals of the Co-Prosperity Sphere usually find themselves assigned to work elsewhere by less finicky superiors. For the few who cannot be persuaded or removed by other means there is always poison or the knife. Such deeds can always be laid at the feet of the resistance.

Du has strong ties to both the Japanese and Chinese Nationalist governments. The only ones that have an interest in removing him from power are the Communists; they still bear a grudge from the Green Gang’s massacre of thousands of pro-communist protesters during the years before the war. A bloody but necessary deed, it put Chiang firmly in Du’s camp.

Du is a farsighted man and is already looking beyond the end of the war. Right now the Japanese have China sliced almost in half. The Nationalists in the south are getting the full support of the Allied war machine while the Communists are curled up in the north, eating old shoes and nursing their various hates. There seems little danger from that quarter. Du, a consummate businessman and politician, has a hard time envisioning how the victorious Allied powers could mess things up badly enough to let the Communists seize control of postwar China. The future looks secure.

It has been many years since Big Ears Du has thought of Chief Petty Officer Shun of the Imperial Japanese Navy, but he would remember the name if he heard it. The triads have long memories. Back in the early 1920s, when Du was still consolidating his power, he expended more than a little time and effort to try and kill the man. After losing several men he eventually cut his losses and stopped trying. But even all these years later he would be more than happy to find some way to repay Shun for his crimes against the Green Gang, if an opportunity were to present itself. Indeed he would.

---

Author’s note: See post 2129 for the original story of the conflict between Shun and the Green Gang.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3232
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/29/2008 7:26:55 PM   
Mynok

<CUE JAWS MUSIC>

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3233
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/29/2008 9:48:01 PM   
HarryM

A little refresher...

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1363103&mpage=72&key=�

< Message edited by HarryM -- 7/29/2008 9:49:06 PM >

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 3234
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/30/2008 5:12:31 AM   
princep01

It is with great regret that I am compelled to announce the demise of the IJN DD Hibiki in my current CHS, PBEM game.  Hibiki was stuck by several 6" CD gun shells during the invasion of Java in early May, 1942.  Her struggle to remain in the service of her Emperor ended on 6/4/42 when she capsized in port.  Most of her crew survived her passing and await reassignment. 

Though I am the Allied player, this particular loss was mourned by both sides.

(in reply to HarryM)
Post #: 3235
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/30/2008 12:45:03 PM   
tocaff

CF

Nice touch with the link to the first encounter between Shun & Big Ears.  I have a nephew whose nickname is Du that I'll have to warn about Shun.

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to princep01)
Post #: 3236
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/30/2008 7:08:47 PM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: princep01

It is with great regret that I am compelled to announce the demise of the IJN DD Hibiki in my current CHS, PBEM game.  Hibiki was stuck by several 6" CD gun shells during the invasion of Java in early May, 1942.  Her struggle to remain in the service of her Emperor ended on 6/4/42 when she capsized in port.  Most of her crew survived her passing and await reassignment. 

Though I am the Allied player, this particular loss was mourned by both sides.

Yet another Hibiki meets her demise. The more of these I read the luckier I feel that mine has survived the first 30 months of the war.

(in reply to princep01)
Post #: 3237
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/30/2008 7:13:08 PM   
Cuttlefish

May 18, 1944

Fuel: 463

---

Morning sunlight dances across the water of Osaka Bay as Taiho launches half a dozen fighters. Despite the fact that they are operating in such protected waters several destroyers, including Hibiki, cruise protectively nearby.

“I don’t see why we do this every day,” grumbles Lieutenant Kuwaki. “There are lots of fighters based around here, why do we need more planes to cover us while we are in port?”

Captain Ishii looks at him. “The Navy does not want the carriers tied up and helpless in case the American bombers come here,” he says. “What happened to Kirishima has alarmed everybody.” Ishii is referring to events two days past, when battered Kirishima finally reached port at Okayama for major repairs. No sooner had the battleship been put in dry dock when an air raid by the enemy’s “silver bees” hit the port there. Kirishima was struck by two bombs, causing enough damage to extend her stay in port by a couple of weeks.

“That makes sense, sir,” says Kuwaki. “But surely the enemy’s planes cannot reach this far?”

“I do not know,” says Ishii, “do you? No one thought they could reach Okayama or Nagasaki either.”

Kuwaki watches Taiho’s fighters climb into the sky over the bay. “I concede the point, sir,” he says.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3238
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/30/2008 10:03:49 PM   
Cuttlefish

May 19, 1944

Fuel: 461

---

There is an old saying in China: “you can’t outrun the rickshaw man.” It means there is no escaping the inevitable. Thus the Rickshaw Man is named as he is. What his real name is no one remembers. But his years of bloody and malevolent deeds in the service of Du Yuesheng are widely known and within underworld circles the old saying has a specific and sinister meaning.

Today the Rickshaw Man is down at the Kobe docks dressed as a peddler. He is carrying a pole festooned with straw hats and has even sold a couple of them. Right now he is talking to an officer in the Imperial Japanese Navy. The officer is pretending to look out over activity in the bay as they speak.

“I have yet to find a suitable man to handle distribution here,” says the Rickshaw Man. “Du grows impatient. There are markets demanding opium and we have it ready to ship, but delivery is a problem.”

“Ariga of Hibiki turned you down?” asks the officer. “Too bad, that young man had a lot of promise. I will look for other candidates for you.” The officer lights a cigarette, expertly shielding his match from the breeze off the bay. He is polite to the Rickshaw Man but does not show him undo deference. This is only fitting for a member of the Kokuryû-kai, the feared Black Dragon Society. This is a group of ultra-nationalists who specialize in espionage and assassination to gain their political ends. They also have strong ties to Du and the opium trade that Du controls. Among their numbers are many prominent officers and politicians, giving Du a handy route into the upper echelons of the Japanese military and government.

“If Ariga is the best candidate then he is the one I want,” says the Rickshaw Man. “Everyone has a weakness, a pressure point that can be exploited. Find his for me and I will do the rest.”

The officer shrugs. “I will see what I can learn,” he says.”Too bad about Funatsu, if he had not gotten killed we would not be in this mess.”

“His fault for not getting away safely when his freighter was torpedoed,” says The Rickshaw Man. “Men can be replaced. The opium that went down with him is a far more serious loss.”

The officer frowns but does not argue. “I will meet with you again to tell you what I have learned,” he says.

“Make it fast,” says the Rickshaw Man. “As I said, Du is growing impatient.”

---

Author’s note: Like Big Ears Du and the Green Gang, the Black Dragon Society was a historical group. They were more paramilitary than criminal in nature but found criminal networks such as Du’s very handy for many of their activities. Like other groups before and since they also found that it is difficult to play in the mud and still keep your hands clean.

They exerted more influence on Japanese politics than any other ultranationalist group in the years before and during WW II. Their influence and reach, while considerable, was exaggerated in the West. Movies, books, and newspaper articles portrayed them as even more shadowy, sinister, and far-reaching than they really were. This is perhaps understandable. What yellow journalist or writer of cheap thrillers could resist a shadowy Oriental group called the Black Dragon Society?

Obviously not this writer.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3239
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/30/2008 10:21:08 PM   
Mynok

Black dragons are irresistable......even Tolkien had them.

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3240
Page:   <<   < prev  106 107 [108] 109 110   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Small Ship, Big War - The Disciple Page: <<   < prev  106 107 [108] 109 110   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI