Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Small Ship, Big War

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Small Ship, Big War Page: <<   < prev  131 132 [133] 134 135   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 12/29/2008 8:21:54 PM   
Mobeer

I'm hoping this isn't the bug where foreign officers take charge. I don't think Hibiki being commanded by a US Colonel is very appealing

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3961
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 12/29/2008 8:24:20 PM   
John 3rd

Oh, my...

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Mobeer)
Post #: 3962
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 12/30/2008 12:51:28 AM   
Feinder

Stomach cancer has been called "the Asian cancer", due to its high incidence in that population.

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 3963
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 12/30/2008 1:06:22 AM   
kaleun

quote:

Stomach cancer has been called "the Asian cancer", due to its high incidence in that population.

-F-

My fear exactly.

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 3964
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 12/30/2008 1:35:55 AM   
Shark7

Chronic fatigue. Then add in sudden wave of dizziness and substernal chest pain and shortness of breath and what you have a heart attack. It could also be an abdominal aortic anuerysm, especially with the abdominal pain. No matter what it is, this is not good.

(And in game terms it could mean the dreaded commander bug. )

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 3965
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 12/30/2008 2:17:48 AM   
BigDuke66

Well did someone really expect a happy end?
I always had the feeling that we would lose at least some characters.
I guess the hardest time has still to come for the ship and our heroes.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 3966
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 12/30/2008 4:44:23 AM   
Alikchi2

If the Captain goes on sick leave, maybe Miharu will get his chance to prove himself.

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 3967
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 12/30/2008 3:46:47 PM   
kaleun

Didn't captain Ishii get transferred to a desk job IRL just about now?

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to Alikchi2)
Post #: 3968
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 12/30/2008 6:54:32 PM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mobeer

I'm hoping this isn't the bug where foreign officers take charge. I don't think Hibiki being commanded by a US Colonel is very appealing

No leader bug has affected Hibiki, I am happy to say.

quote:

ORIGINAL: kaleun

Didn't captain Ishii get transferred to a desk job IRL just about now?

The real Ishii was transferred to a desk job two years ago, in November '42. He died about now. I still don't know of what, though it seems to have been natural causes.

(in reply to Mobeer)
Post #: 3969
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 12/30/2008 11:02:42 PM   
Cuttlefish

November 16, 1944

Course: None
Attached to: Disbanded in port
Mission: None
System Damage: 0
Float Damage: 0
Fires: 0
Fuel: 475

Orders: None

---

“You need to see a doctor, Captain,” says Lieutenant JG Nakagawa as Ishii puts his jacket back on and buttons it. Ishii leans back against the dispensary’s small examination table and crosses his arms.

“I know that,” he says with a touch of irritation. “That’s why I’m here, Lieutenant.”

“Sir, I appreciate the confidence you have in me,” says Nakagawa, “but I mean a real doctor. I am just a ship’s medic. My training before the navy was as a veterinarian. I am good with burns and shrapnel wounds. I can set a broken bone. But the kind of diagnosis you need is beyond my skill. You need to go to the naval hospital.”

“I can’t do that,” says Ishii. Nakagawa gazes at him for a moment, then obviously decides against arguing further with his captain.

“I can think of several things,” he says, “that might be wrong. Frankly, sir, some of them are serious. I will examine your blood and stool samples for clues but what I really need to do is take chest and abdominal x-rays. For that we have to go ashore.”

“We can’t…” begins Ishii, but Nakagawa cuts him off.

“I know, sir,” he says. “But I know a couple of people at the hospital, we might be able to arrange something. Discreetly.”

“Very well,” says Ishii. “See what you can do, Lieutenant.”

“Yes sir. In the meantime, I have a few more questions. You say you have been awakening every night with abdominal pain. What time, specifically?”

“It varies a bit,” says Ishii. “Usually around 0100 hours.”

Nakagawa makes a note. “Have you noticed this pain other times?” he asks.

“At times, though not as bad,” says Ishii. “Usually after eating.” Nakagawa asks a number of other questions and establishes that Ishii has also experienced nausea. Next Nakagawa moves on to the recent chest pain.

“Exactly where does it occur?” he asks.

“Behind or below right about here,” says Ishii. He indicates a spot near the bottom of his breastbone.

“Shortness of breath?” Ishii nods. “Pain or numbness in your left arm or hand?” This time Ishii shakes his head no.

“Do you…” begins Nakagawa, but suddenly there comes a rap at the dispensary door. It opens to reveal one of the ship’s cooks, his right hand wrapped in a towel.

“Lieutenant, I burned my…” begins the sailor, then he catches sight of the captain.

“Captain, sir!” he says and salutes. The effect is almost comical as the towel flaps about when he does so, but the man’s wince of pain removes any humor from the situation.

“At ease,” Ishii tells him. The man gratefully cradles his hand once more. Ishii turns briskly to Nakagawa.

“Well, Lieutenant, your department seems to be in fine shape. Carry on.”

“Yes sir, thank you”, says Nakagawa. “Come here, Itokawa, let’s see that hand.” As the sailor approaches Ishii steps to the door and departs.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3970
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 12/30/2008 11:07:40 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

The real Ishii was transferred to a desk job two years ago, in November '42. He died about now.

Ohboy . . .

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3971
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 12/31/2008 3:50:58 AM   
Feinder

Sounds like somebody needs an endo (don't know if they did those back then).  It'll help a considerably if Ishi elevates his bed by about 18" (actually elevate his upper torso).

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 3972
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 12/31/2008 5:09:59 AM   
kaleun

A barium swallow X ray was what was used back then. (Actually up to the 80's that was the standard)

Sun Tzu

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 3973
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 12/31/2008 1:46:33 PM   
ChezDaJez

quote:

ORIGINAL: kaleun

A barium swallow X ray was what was used back then. (Actually up to the 80's that was the standard)

Barium swallow evals are still commonly used today.

Chez

Ret Navy AWCS (1972-1998)
VP-5, Jacksonville, Fl 1973-78
ASW Ops Center, Rota, Spain 1978-81
VP-40, Mt View, Ca 1981-87
Patrol Wing 10, Mt View, CA 1987-90
ASW Ops Center, Adak, Ak 1990-92
NRD Seattle 1992-96
VP-46, Whidbey Isl, Wa 1996-98

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 3974
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 12/31/2008 4:00:19 PM   
John 3rd

My Father had a barium swallow just two weeks ago.  I watched it and it was fascinating.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to ChezDaJez)
Post #: 3975
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 12/31/2008 6:40:28 PM   
Shark7

The pain in the epigastric region could indicate a peptic ulcer. Bad thing about those is they can perforate, releasing stomach contents into the abdominal cavity and the end result is sepsis. Nasty, nasty infection.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 3976
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 12/31/2008 8:17:25 PM   
Cuttlefish

November 17, 1944

---

Excerpt from "Naval Battles of the Pacific, Volume 8: Breaking the Ring" by Morris Elliot Samuelson; Harper, Row, and Fujimori, New York, 1966:

Following the naval battle of Iwo Jima the war in the Pacific fell into a stalemate that would persist through the end of the year. The Allied fleets tightened their grip on the waters around the island to prevent further Japanese attacks from breaking through, while ashore it would be some time before the marines and infantry on the island began to make significant progress against the determined Japanese defenders.

The stalemate was exacerbated by Admiral Nimitz’s decision, much criticized after the war, to stick with the original plan for the Volcano Islands invasion despite the unexpected problems encountered. As previously mentioned, the original timetable for the invasion of Iwo called for the island to be secured within two weeks. At that time Chichi Jima, thought to be more lightly held, would be invaded. Nimitz refused to call off the scheduled invasion of Chichi Jima, with the result that troops and supplies badly needed at Iwo were tied up in a second conflict. This also had the effect of stretching the air and sea defenses of the invading fleets, with results that we will see in due course.

A second Japanese naval attack was feared, but in retrospect this was unlikely. Following the battle the Combined Fleet was reduced to five battleships; three of these were in the Home Islands and in need of repair, while two (Fuso and Nagato) were in Singapore. The Japanese still possessed significant numbers of cruisers and destroyers, but many of the heavy cruisers remaining were also damaged.

The Japanese carrier arm was also much reduced. As we have seen Junyo and Hiyo, the often-scorned converted liners, had somehow escaped once again and would in fact survive to bedevil the Allies in future operations. Katsuragi was also available, as were two light carriers, but this was not enough of a force to challenge the powerful American carriers with any chance of success.

In the Indian Ocean the British had completed their seizure of the Andaman and Nicobar islands but the Japanese still held the Mandalay Line. In China the casualty lists continued to grow on both sides but no movement of any importance had occurred there in months. As 1944 began to draw to a close a feeling of frustration was growing among the Americans and British, both at home and on the front lines. The final defeat of Japan seemed no closer than it had several months ago…

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3977
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 12/31/2008 10:44:30 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

This also had the effect of stretching the air and sea defenses of the invading fleets, with results that we will see in due course.

A second Japanese naval attack was feared, but in retrospect this was unlikely. Following the battle the Combined Fleet was reduced to five battleships; three of these were in the Home Islands and in need of repair, while two (Fuso and Nagato) were in Singapore. The Japanese still possessed significant numbers of cruisers and destroyers, but many of the heavy cruisers remaining were also damaged.

The Japanese carrier arm was also much reduced. As we have seen Junyo and Hiyo, the often-scorned converted liners, had somehow escaped once again and would in fact survive to bedevil the Allies in future operations.

Sounds like a hit-and-run carrier raid is in the future . . .

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3978
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 12/31/2008 11:55:52 PM   
BrucePowers

Get out the popcorn. This would make a really good movie script.

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 3979
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/1/2009 5:47:34 AM   
Marc gto

What happens next.....?

(in reply to BrucePowers)
Post #: 3980
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/1/2009 11:05:14 AM   
tocaff

I think that CF not only has spun a riveting yarn, but has also managed to play an excellent game as the Japanese to be in the current position (that I suspect) as '45 rolls in.

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to Marc gto)
Post #: 3981
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/1/2009 11:44:48 AM   
BrucePowers

We have been enjoying the AAR so much we tend to forget about the game.

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 3982
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/3/2009 1:02:44 AM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: tocaff

I think that CF not only has spun a riveting yarn, but has also managed to play an excellent game as the Japanese to be in the current position (that I suspect) as '45 rolls in.

I don't talk about the game as a game much in this rather strange AAR but I will break that rule long enough to make one observation, mostly because it's a fact I'm rather proud of. I don't imagine there have been a lot of WitP PBEMs where this is the case: as of January 1, 1945 I was still not able to use kamikazes.

That said, I am currently discovering what Pzb and others have discovered before me: no matter how well the Japanese player does in the first three years of the war, 1945 is going to suck.

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 3983
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/3/2009 1:05:41 AM   
Cuttlefish

November 18, 1944

---

Nakagawa goes to the Captain Ishii’s cabin to present him with his diagnosis. The x-rays he succeeded in taking left little doubt as to what was ailing his captain, though Nakagawa confirmed his suspicions with friends in the medical field.

While by all rights he ought to be relieved Ishii does not at first take the news especially well.

“No drinking!” he exclaims.

Nakagawa shakes his head. “No alcohol at all, sir,” he says. “You should also avoid strong, hot tea. I know it may be difficult to find but you should instead drink as much milk as possible. At the very least have a glass before going to bed.”

“Milk is for babies!” says the captain.

“It is also for naval captains with a perforating ulcer,” says Nakagawa firmly. “And I am serious about taking two weeks leave, Captain. You need to get away from this ship and relax as much as possible.”

“Two weeks,” mutters Ishii, shaking his head. “That is not possible.”

“The captain is of course free to ignore my recommendations,” says Nakagawa formally. “But sir, if you do I promise you that you will end up in the hospital within a month. If you do as I suggest there is a good chance you might remain on your feet and in command until the end of the war.”

In the end Captain Ishii sees that he has no choice and agrees. Nakagawa gives him other advice to follow, including a diet of bland, mushy food and elevating his torso slightly when he sleeps.

“If this doesn’t work, sir,” Nakagawa concludes, “the only real treatment is to remove the ulcer surgically. That procedure frequently has complications, so let us try to avoid it.”

“By all means!” says Ishii. He sighs. “Thank you, Lieutenant, for your help and your discretion.” He shakes his head ruefully. “No matter how much of a warrior one is there is always one foe that beats you in the end, Nakagawa. Old age.”

“You are not an old man yet, Captain,” he says. Ishii is 45 years old.

“No?” says Ishii. “It feels like it, some days.”

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3984
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/3/2009 2:23:25 AM   
Feinder

I'm curious what the availability of milk would be...?

Wasn't powdered milk the norm (for civilian and military alike) in the US?

And would they drink cow's milk (given their scarcity in Japan), or goat or what?  Given that much of the protein in Japanese diet is from fish and soy?

Just wondering.

-F-

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3985
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/3/2009 4:01:39 AM   
Mynok

Milk is awful for ulcers. Most ulcers are caused by a bacteria which cannot abide capsicum. Hot peppers is what he needs.

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 3986
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/3/2009 4:26:00 AM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mynok

Milk is awful for ulcers. Most ulcers are caused by a bacteria which cannot abide capsicum. Hot peppers is what he needs.

The bacterial origin of ulcers wasn't discovered until long after World War II, sadly for Captain Ishii. Milk was a standard prescription back then.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feinder

And would they drink cow's milk (given their scarcity in Japan), or goat or what? Given that much of the protein in Japanese diet is from fish and soy?

I think Nakagawa and Ishii are almost certainly talking about goat's milk; you are correct, cow's milk would be almost impossible to get.

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 3987
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/3/2009 4:33:39 AM   
Feinder

The assumption of milk for ulcer treatment is because it's a base which would theoretically counter the alkaline of stomach acid.  As indicated, ulcers are bacterial in nature; and also pointed out, this wasn't known in the 1940s.

-F-

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3988
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/3/2009 5:18:43 AM   
Shark7

With all the stress he is under, it is no surprise.

The milk will do a little to reduce the burning and discomfort of the acid, but not much for the actual problem.

And no, Pepto Bismol won't work either.

In these modern times, ulcers can be relatively easily treated with a regimen of anti-biotics.

< Message edited by Shark7 -- 1/3/2009 5:20:13 AM >

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 3989
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/3/2009 1:45:11 PM   
goodboyladdie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feinder

The assumption of milk for ulcer treatment is because it's a base which would theoretically counter the alkaline of stomach acid.  As indicated, ulcers are bacterial in nature; and also pointed out, this wasn't known in the 1940s.

-F-

Not all ulcers are caused by bacteria. I have had them and there is no bacteria present. Mine are purely stress related and are treated by reducing the amount of stomach acid I produce through diet and medication.

Art by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 3990
Page:   <<   < prev  131 132 [133] 134 135   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Small Ship, Big War Page: <<   < prev  131 132 [133] 134 135   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI