Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Small Ship, Big War

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Small Ship, Big War Page: <<   < prev  137 138 [139] 140 141   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/10/2009 8:17:41 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

Their primary targets are again the airfields defending the city, and for the second day in a row these facilities take significant damage.

Radio Tokyo, which returns to the air,

I guess Wolffpack isn't trying firebombing yet. A relief -- for now.

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4141
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/11/2009 3:10:42 AM   
Hornblower

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock

quote:

Their primary targets are again the airfields defending the city, and for the second day in a row these facilities take significant damage.

Radio Tokyo, which returns to the air,

I guess Wolffpack isn't trying firebombing yet. A relief -- for now.

Only a matter of time..

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 4142
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/11/2009 3:36:36 AM   
Cuttlefish

January 20, 1945

Course: None
Attached to: TF 43
Mission: Bombardment
System Damage: 0
Float Damage: 0
Fires: 0
Fuel: 475

Orders: None

---

The piercing blast of a steam whistle carries clearly across the water to where Hibiki is anchored. Lieutenant Sakati, strolling along the deck with Captain Ishii, pauses in mid-stride and turns to locate the source of the sound. It is not hard to spot: a long freight train is thundering along the main line where it parallels the shore perhaps half a mile away. Even when the engine is obscured by buildings or low rises of land its location is revealed by the clouds of smoke shooting skyward from its stack.

Captain Ishii stops and comes back a couple of steps to stand next to his chief engineer, who is shading his eyes from the winter sun and following the locomotive’s progress.

“She’s a beauty, isn’t she sir?” Sakati asks without looking away. “I’m pretty sure that’s a C55, but it’s hard to tell at this distance.”

“I will take your word for it,” says Ishii dryly. Sakati glances at him.

“Come now, Captain,” says Sakati, “didn’t you ever watch the trains when you were a lad? Didn’t you ever want to be the one controlling the mighty machine that roared like a dragon, guiding it along shining rails to distant cities?”

“I can’t say I did,” says Ishii. “I was always obsessed with the sea. But I can tell they made an impression on you, Sakati. I don’t think I’ve ever heard you speak so poetically before, unless you were talking about a particularly fine bottle of scotch.”

The roar of the distant train fades as it follows the tracks inland, though smoke still hangs in the still, cool air to mark its passage.

“It’s what got me thinking about engines,” Sakati says. “Even as a boy I wondered how something as simple as hot water could generate that kind of power.”

“I have heard,” says Ishii, “that in the future most locomotives will be electrically powered, or maybe diesel.”

Sakati sighs. “Aye,” he says. “That’s already started in some countries. And a pity it will be, too. I’m all in favor of efficiency, of course, but there is a romance to steam that electricity just doesn’t have. Would I have been as captivated as a boy by some quiet, humming marvel? I doubt it, sir.”

“Time marches on, Lieutenant,” says Ishii, not without sympathy. “You can’t stop progress.”

“Of course not, sir,” says Sakati. “But I don’t have to like it.”

---

A Japanese C55 locomotive, built in the 1930s:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4143
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/11/2009 4:43:13 AM   
bradfordkay

Hmmm... are you a railfan there CF? Or maybe you've been playing a little RR Tycoon while waiting for turns?

Like Sakati, I am a fan of the old steam engines. For the most part they portrayed a power and majesty that the diesels and electrics cannot match...

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4144
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/11/2009 2:27:03 PM   
Ambassador

What ?  WHAT ?!?!  NEXT PAGE !!!  WHERE IS THE NEXT PAGE ?!?!?

By the twelve muses, I've just finished reading the 4144 first posts of this AAR, and it took some time.  It's a marvel, Cuttlefish.  I don't know how you manage to write this, with such a regularly-displayed outstanding quality.

But now, I find myself in the dire straits of addiction.  What happens next ?  I want to know !!!

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 4145
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/11/2009 4:45:56 PM   
BrucePowers

Railfanning is cool

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 4146
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/11/2009 9:00:34 PM   
thegreatwent

Here in Colorado I'm lucky enough to have many steam trains to ride and a neat museum to visit. My father worked for Burlington Northern so I was conditioned to love trains. BTW some of the diesels and electrics are pretty cool as well.

(in reply to BrucePowers)
Post #: 4147
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/11/2009 10:24:43 PM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ambassador

By the twelve muses, I've just finished reading the 4144 first posts of this AAR, and it took some time. 

I'll bet it did! Welcome aboard. I do try to update every weekday and occasionally on weekends as well, so with luck you will not have to wait too long for more of the story.

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 4148
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/11/2009 10:27:13 PM   
Cuttlefish

January 21, 1945

Orders: Proceed to Kure

---

“Let’s go, let’s go!” Shun barks. “Move it, you slugs! If this isn’t the first destroyer out of the bay some of you will be trying to swim to Kure!” Footsteps pound along the deck as the Chief drives men to and fro. Near the bow Yoshitake starts the motor on the anchor capstan. Chain rattles as the capstan slowly begins to turn.

Shoji keeps one eye on the anchor chain and another on Shun. “What’s going on?” he asks Oizuma, who has just come hurrying up to help. “What’s the big rush?”

“Enemy carriers!” says Oizuma. “I heard it from Konno, who heard it from a guy who was on the bridge. Enemy carriers are to the south and almost within striking distance. We’re going to dash across the Inland Sea tonight to try and get out of range!”

“Damn!” says Shoji. The thought of being caught in these confined waters by carrier planes is not a comfortable one. He and Oizuma start feeding chain into the chain locker.

“Yeah, and I heard most of the fighters based here have been sent to Tokyo,” says Oizuma, speaking loudly to be heard above the rattling of the chain. “We’d be sitting ducks.”

Shoji glances to the west. “It will be dark in an hour,” he says. “We should be okay.” Oizuma nods. Nonetheless both men keep an eye on the southern horizon as Hibiki gets underway and leads the task force towards the Akashi Strait and the waters of the Inland Sea.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4149
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/12/2009 1:34:57 PM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: thegreatwent

Here in Colorado I'm lucky enough to have many steam trains to ride and a neat museum to visit. My father worked for Burlington Northern so I was conditioned to love trains. BTW some of the diesels and electrics are pretty cool as well.

Not like steam locomotives were. I think part of the facination was that virtually all the moving parts were on the outside and in full view of the observer. You could hear the power building up..., then watch it in action. And when the engine was a UP 4-8-8-4 "Big Boy", it was AWESOME!

(in reply to thegreatwent)
Post #: 4150
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/12/2009 8:47:32 PM   
Marc gto

big boys would be fascinating all that power.i grew up seeing some of the most beautiful loco's ever built...the j class of n/w

(in reply to Mike Scholl)
Post #: 4151
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/13/2009 2:02:25 AM   
Cuttlefish

January 22, 1945

Fuel: 458

---

Considering that Kure is one of the Imperial Japanese Navy’s most important facilities it is a little unusual that this is Hibiki’s first visit to the area since the start of the war. And even now they are not exactly at Kure; to save space at the piers the task force is at the Hashirajima Anchoring Area some thirty miles to the southwest, at the south end of Hiroshima Bay.

There are many other ships in the area, all placidly at anchor. This forms a sharp contrast to the reports coming out of Tokyo. Enemy land-based and carrier-based aircraft are pounding Japanese airfields there and trying to sink every ship they can catch on the open water. Despite the fact that there was twenty-four hours warning before the carrier attack it does not seem as though the enemy planes lack for targets, though from the sound of it most of the ships in trouble are cargo vessels, patrol craft, and auxiliaries.

Japanese fighter pilots report downing many enemy aircraft and the bombers gleefully return with tales of enemy ships left in flames. These reports bring cheer to Hibiki’s crew, though the cynical among them - a larger number than in the past – recall other tales of enemy ships that were reported sunk but that later turned out to be surprisingly spry and active for vessels that were at the bottom of the sea.*

Whatever is happening at Tokyo and in the waters nearby, it seems that Hibiki and her crew are safe for the moment. Most of the men aboard, however, would gladly trade that safety for a chance at intercepting the enemy aircraft carriers now brazenly attacking the Home Islands. As of yet, however, there is no indication that such orders are forthcoming.

---

*Allied records after the war will in fact show that the only Allied ship damaged in the attack was heavy cruiser Australia, hit by a torpedo from submarine I-7.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4152
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/13/2009 2:24:48 AM   
thegreatwent

quote:

big boys would be fascinating all that power.i grew up seeing some of the most beautiful loco's ever built...the j class of n/w

They have a big boy at the Forney Museum of Transportation here in Denver. It is an awe inspiring machine.

http://www.forneymuseum.org/attractions.htm

Sorry for the distraction CF
Now back to the Hibiki

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4153
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/13/2009 8:40:40 AM   
bradfordkay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marc gto

I'll agree about the N&W J-class locomotives... not only were they beautiful, but apparently they were also some of the most reliable ever built. I don't remember the numbers, but one book I read fairly gushed about the miles N&W racked up with those boys...

Sorry, CF, I wasn't going to continue this hijacking until marc mentioned my all-time favorite passenger locomotive.

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Marc gto)
Post #: 4154
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/13/2009 12:39:33 PM   
vettim89

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

quote:

I'll agree about the N&W J-class locomotives... not only were they beautiful, but apparently they were also some of the most reliable ever built. I don't remember the numbers, but one book I read fairly gushed about the miles N&W racked up with those boys...

Sorry, CF, I wasn't going to continue this hijacking until marc mentioned my all-time favorite passenger locomotive.

The N&W freight locomotives were awesome. Still, some of those articulated monsters running out west would have been a sight to see. My grandpa started his career with the NYC stoking Hudsons - another beautiful locomotive. BTW, its not hijacking cause CF started it

"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry

Post #: 4155
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/14/2009 3:33:57 AM   
princep01

yawn.......wrong place, wrong time.

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 4156
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/14/2009 5:13:27 AM   
Marc gto

brad another thing about the j class is alot of those miles were going through the mountains of west virginia pulling massive amounts of cool...that had to be taxing on it as well

Post #: 4157
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/14/2009 8:06:57 AM   
goodboyladdie

quote:

brad another thing about the j class is alot of those miles were going through the mountains of west virginia pulling massive amounts of cool...that had to be taxing on it as well

You don't normally see trains and "cool" mentioned in the same sentence. I agree with some posters above - can we get back to Hibiki's war, please?

Art by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to Marc gto)
Post #: 4158
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/14/2009 8:13:28 AM   
bradfordkay

sorry, guys... no more...

< Message edited by bradfordkay -- 2/14/2009 8:14:06 AM >

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Marc gto)
Post #: 4159
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/15/2009 4:39:42 AM   
Cuttlefish

January 23, 1945

---

“Refueling is complete, Lieutenant,” Lieutenant Sakati informs Lieutenant Kuwaki, who is currently the officer of the deck.

“Thank you, Sakati,” says Kuwaki. “Has the fuel line been disconnected?”

“They’re taking it in now.”

“Very good.” Kuwaki sends word to the deck force to prepare to take in lines, then turns back to Sakati. “Has the Captain mentioned how long we are going to be here?”

Sakati shakes his head. “I don’t know,” he says. “I’ve heard that the enemy carriers have withdrawn to the south, but I doubt the Navy will be in a hurry to move us.”

“I see,” says Kuwaki. “I know it’s practical, but somehow it doesn’t feel right to be hiding somewhere safe while Japan is under attack.”

“Then set your mind at ease, Lieutenant,” says Sakati. “If the last couple of days tell us anything it is that no place is really safe any more.”

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4160
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/15/2009 6:31:49 AM   
John 3rd

quote:

ORIGINAL: thegreatwent

quote:

They have a big boy at the Forney Museum of Transportation here in Denver. It is an awe inspiring machine.

http://www.forneymuseum.org/attractions.htm

Sorry for the distraction CF
Now back to the Hibiki

If you want to see video of a big boy passing through where I live in La Salle go to our family website and click the video of it roaring by! The B-25J video is there too.

http://houseofcochran.spaces.live.com

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to thegreatwent)
Post #: 4161
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/16/2009 4:11:13 PM   
mdiehl

bump

Show me a fellow who rejects statistical analysis a priori and I'll show you a fellow who has no knowledge of statistics.

Didn't we have this conversation already?

Post #: 4162
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/16/2009 8:12:49 PM   
Cuttlefish

January 24, 1945

---

“Hey everyone, what’s…hey, octopus dumplings!”

“Yeah, they’re good too, better sit down and grab some before Yoshitake eats them all.”

“Mo my fald, dur wrir gud.”

“At least slow down enough to chew.”

“Warry.”

“Can we get more rice down here?”

“So I heard Aikawa say that he heard the Captain say that the enemy aircraft carriers might come back any time!”

“Oh yeah, how? I heard they were all sunk south of Tokyo!”

“No, I heard that they got away but that it’s really a trap. Admiral Yamamoto is going to get them to come in close and then use our carriers and the Combined Fleet to smash them once and for all.”

“I don’t know, I heard the Americans have a lot of carriers now, maybe even fifteen.”

“Someone said they have twenty.”

“That’s nuts!”

“Maybe with the British carriers.”

“Well, yeah, maybe then. Great, more dumplings!”

“They say Spruance is in command of them. The newspapers call him a devil.”

“Isn’t that like code meaning he’s just a guy on the other side who is good at his job?”

“No, I heard he has ordered his planes to strafe survivors of the ships they sink in the water!”

“Well, where else would they strafe them?”

“That’s not the…”

“Yeah, and they probably say that Captain Ishii eats babies for breakfast. It’s war, everyone lies.”

“So it’s kind of like peacetime, but with bullets.”

“So young, yet so cynical.”

“I was young when this damned war started. I’m an old man now.”

“You want the last dumpling, old man?”

“Too late, Yoshitake got it.”

“Damn it, Yoshitake, how many of those things did you eat anyway?”

“Warry, ah reary wike ogdipus wumblings.”

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4163
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/16/2009 8:22:30 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

I heard it from Konno, who heard it from a guy who was on the bridge.

Very believable spread-of-scuttlebut!

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4164
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/16/2009 10:12:50 PM   
thegreatwent

Grin, almost felt back in the mess hall.

Post #: 4165
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/18/2009 12:22:12 AM   
Cuttlefish

January 25, 1945

---

Letter from Colonel Izu to his son, Ensign Izu:

Dear Tomio-San,

This seems to be the most pleasant time of year in a generally unpleasant climate. The weather here in Luzon right now is relatively cool and dry. In a couple of months the heat and rain will return, and possible the typhoons as well, but today it is relatively pleasant.

Of course, this also makes it an ideal time for the enemy to invade. We are on high alert, expecting that an attack might come at any time. So far, however, it has been quiet. No air raids, no bombardments, not even any overflights by reconnaissance planes. But this could be a deception, designed to lure us into a false sense of complacency. If that is the case, though, the enemy’s plan will not work. We are ready.

I killed a man yesterday. He was a native, one of a band of guerillas who have been plaguing our convoys and supply depots. I struck his head off myself with my sword.

I have been thinking of him ever since. Oh, not out of guilt or anything of that sort. Nor with any kind of pleasure, except from the knowledge that my blade is still sharp and my arm strong. But it has been in my thoughts that in a year or less I might be the one hiding in the jungles and hills, doing what I can to harass the enemy. If that happens I hope that I am as effective and face my end as bravely as the man I just killed.

I have told you in the past that an officer who would command respect must be deserving of that respect, that it is something that must be earned. Formal respect comes with rank, of course, but real respect comes from actions and demeanor. I killed the man myself, not because I wished to, but because a real officer faces unpleasant duty. He does not delegate it and force someone else to do it in his place.

Nor should (if you do not mind yet more fatherly advice) a man enjoy the act of killing. For those in our profession it is necessary at times, yet I find that those who come to enjoy it are almost never those who are the best qualified to lead other men in battle. The guerilla had to be killed; he and his followers had killed at least six of my men and an example of course had to be made. But I took no pleasure in it. I encourage you to hold to this same pragmatic outlook.

We have seen so much death now. It saddens me to think of the part I played in bringing all this about. Years ago, when we invaded Manchukuo, I was among the officers who led our men there against orders. Oh, to be sure I felt fully justified at the time. It was necessary for the good of Japan, we said, and we believed it. Others called it gekokujo and admired our boldness while our leaders wrung their hands helplessly and accepted our deeds. And thus we started down the path to war, our own ideals and principals leading us step by step into a realm of death and destruction.

There is nothing to do now but ride the dragon that we have created. Perhaps, if there is a future for Japan, others will do a better job of leading our people than have I and my fellow officers. All I can do now to atone for any mistakes I have made is to do my duty well and face death bravely if it comes.

I hope I die in battle. I would not like to end up kneeling in the dust while some officer raises a sword over me. Or puts a rope around my neck – I hear the Americans are more fond of hanging than of beheading. It all comes to the same in the end, I suppose.

Choose your path well, my son, and continue to live a life of virtue. I hope we will meet again after the war. If that is not to be then perhaps we will meet at Yasukuni Shrine.

Take good care of your mother, and remember that I am proud of you.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4166
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/18/2009 8:26:55 PM   
Capt. Harlock

This "letter to his son" is a simply brilliant entry. The bushido code way of thought and the slow sea change of thinking are both treated marvelously well. And there are deep echoes of one of the most famous photos to come out of the Vietnam war, that of a South Vietnamese general blowing the brains out of a captured guerilla fighter. But I hope Ensign Izu will not find a place among the war criminals . . .

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4167
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/20/2009 3:26:45 AM   
Cuttlefish

January 26, 1945

---

War is accurately portrayed as long periods of boredom punctuated by moments of terror. This day turns out to be one of the boring ones for the crew of Hibiki. And the fact that absolutely nothing memorable happens is fine with them. It’s just another routine day in port.

That things will soon become all too interesting again they have no doubt.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4168
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/20/2009 3:29:02 AM   
Cuttlefish

January 27, 1945

Orders: See below

---

Signal from Naval Ministry to all ships in and around Japanese waters:

A large force of enemy carriers has been spotted 450 miles south of Nagoya, course north. All ships are advised that fighter defenses are currently concentrated in the Tokyo area and that aerial defense in other areas may be less than optimal. Precautions are recommended.

Signal from Admiral Tanaka to all ships of Task Force 43:

Task force will proceed through Kanmon Strait into Sea of Japan. Movement to commence immediately after nightfall. Straggling not advised.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4169
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/20/2009 11:29:22 AM   
tocaff

Movement of shipping being dictated by what the enemy is capable of is an awful position to find yourself in.  Not only does the loss of initiative hurt, but the burning of precious fuel stocks just to avoid what might happen is harmful too.  The old "nowhere to run, nowhere to hide" noose is getting tighter.  

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4170
Page:   <<   < prev  137 138 [139] 140 141   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Small Ship, Big War Page: <<   < prev  137 138 [139] 140 141   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI