Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Small Ship, Big War

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Small Ship, Big War Page: <<   < prev  154 155 [156] 157 158   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/2/2009 6:26:16 PM   
Cuttlefish

May 6, 1945

Course: North
Attached to: TF 21
Mission: Surface combat
System Damage: 2
Float Damage: 0
Fires: 0
Fuel: 386

Orders: Return to Ominato

---

No one aboard Hibiki knows the phrase “it’s time to get the hell out of Dodge.” Even Lieutenant Miharu, whose English is excellent, would be puzzled if heard it. This is perhaps understandable; though a variation of the phrase was used in the Errol Flynn movie “Dodge City” in 1939 it will not really enter common American idiom for more than ten years, spurred by its use (minus the expletive) in the radio and later the television versions of “Gunsmoke.”

But that is exactly what the Japanese are doing: getting the hell out of Dodge. During the previous day Ikoma’s aircraft had located and sunk most or all of the remaining tankers. Now, with their grim work completed, it is time for the Japanese to head for home.

And swiftly, because the posse is coming. The posse in this case consists of four Essex-class carriers that happened to be at Guam when the attack occurred. The enemy is angry and the carriers are now racing northeast with all their considerable speed.

The Japanese do not know this, not yet, but they have to assume something is coming. Long wakes trail southward as they make all possible speed north. It is a long way towards home across a hostile ocean.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4651
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/2/2009 6:30:57 PM   
NormS3

Please sir, can I have some more?

Thanks again for all of your hard and fantastic work, CF!

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4652
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/2/2009 8:30:13 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

And swiftly, because the posse is coming. The posse in this case consists of four Essex-class carriers that happened to be at Guam when the attack occurred. The enemy is angry and the carriers are now racing northeast with all their considerable speed.

Saddle up, boys! We'll head 'em off at Iwo Jima!

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4653
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/2/2009 9:47:58 PM   
Marc gto

Looks like they may have stirred up a hornets nest..

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4654
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/2/2009 10:25:15 PM   
AcePylut

Magic 8-Ball says "doom" for the fleet.

(in reply to Marc gto)
Post #: 4655
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/2/2009 10:59:14 PM   
Canoerebel

I bet most of the Japanese combat TF escapes - sometimes there's nothing harder to do than bring to justice a fast-moving raiding TF.  You know where they are, you think you know where they're going, but it's like swatting at flies:  to often you miss.

(in reply to AcePylut)
Post #: 4656
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/3/2009 12:24:01 AM   
DW

I know in the past you had said that your AAR was a couple months behind the game.

Are you current with the game now?

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4657
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/3/2009 12:33:43 AM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: DW

I know in the past you had said that your AAR was a couple months behind the game.

Are you current with the game now?

I had at one point fallen eight months behind the game but with my opponent in Iraq the pace of the game has really slowed. I'm now only about a month and a half behind.

(in reply to DW)
Post #: 4658
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/3/2009 9:48:18 AM   
Droop21

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

I bet most of the Japanese combat TF escapes - sometimes there's nothing harder to do than bring to justice a fast-moving raiding TF.  You know where they are, you think you know where they're going, but it's like swatting at flies:  to often you miss.

When you're the fly, its more like too often you get hit However I have good hope for the Hibiki, thoose ignorant American pilots wouldn't see it as a high priority target

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4659
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/3/2009 8:12:45 PM   
John 3rd

Just caught up from my enforced departure CF.  Absolutely delightful Sir.

BANZAI!

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Droop21)
Post #: 4660
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/6/2009 7:33:50 PM   
mdiehl

bump

Show me a fellow who rejects statistical analysis a priori and I'll show you a fellow who has no knowledge of statistics.

Didn't we have this conversation already?

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 4661
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/6/2009 7:58:49 PM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

Just caught up from my enforced departure CF.  Absolutely delightful Sir.

BANZAI!

Thank you, John, and welcome back!

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 4662
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/6/2009 8:01:04 PM   
Cuttlefish

May 7, 1945

Course: North-northeast
Fuel: 350

---

Excerpt from the personal diary of Taiki Takahashi:

Spirits are still high from the successful attack. We know that we are probably being followed – I have seen many people looking to the south as if they could see whatever forces of the enemy might be back there – but few seem to doubt we will make port, even if the enemy engages us. We have come home so many times that many truly believe we cannot be sunk.

We took on a few new crewmen at Ominato. I heard one of them say he was overjoyed to have been assigned to Hibiki, because he knew that meant he would survive the war and see his children again. I guess our reputation has spread. And I suppose it does no harm to believe that this ship is special. We may find out different if we are sunk but in the meantime it helps to have confidence.

Ikoma is around somewhere, but whether it is ahead of us or behind us no one knows. It makes a difference, I think, because the enemy seems drawn with irresistible fury towards anything with a flat deck. There is an old joke about two bamboo cutters being chased by a tiger. One of them observes, panting, that they cannot possibly outrun the beast, and the other says that he does not need to run faster than the tiger, only faster than the other fellow. This situation is rather like that, I think. In the old days we would have been asked to sacrifice ourselves to preserve the aircraft carriers but I do not know if the Imperial Navy now considers our force to be less valuable than a single flight deck. I have my opinion but as my title is not Admiral Takahashi I know that no one cares.

It has also occurred to me that reaching port does not necessarily mean we will be safe. We have been attacked at both Osaka and Inch’on now and my confidence in our air force is not what it used to be. I suppose it depends on how angry the enemy is and how many of them there are. I do know the answer to either question but I guess that we will find out soon enough.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4663
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/6/2009 9:35:23 PM   
Canoerebel

As an editor, I'm constantly reviewing manuscripts submitted for publication.  What I read ranges from excellent to raw, and my writers range from professionals who write for Reutters, Knight-Ridder, and Associated Press to the rankest amateur.  Even with my hyper-critical editor's eye, in reading this AAR I seldom find a mistake or something that needs re-writing.  More significantly, it's written by a real craftsman and is wonderful reading.  

P.S.  Keep up the good work, but please try to work in the ghost ship C.S.S. Shenandoah, a Confederate commerce raider that some thought lowered the flag in 1865 or 1866, but actually continued operations in the North Pacific and is certainly a threat to the Hibiki as she heads for Ominato.  I am sure only the Confederate Navy can bring this wraith to justice.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4664
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/6/2009 10:26:15 PM   
kaleun

Hooray for the confederation!
(Eli Wallach, The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly)

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4665
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/6/2009 11:27:07 PM   
Hornblower

quote:

As an editor, I'm constantly reviewing manuscripts submitted for publication.  What I read ranges from excellent to raw, and my writers range from professionals who write for Reutters, Knight-Ridder, and Associated Press to the rankest amateur.  Even with my hyper-critical editor's eye, in reading this AAR I seldom find a mistake or something that needs re-writing.  More significantly, it's written by a real craftsman and is wonderful reading.  

P.S.  Keep up the good work, but please try to work in the ghost ship C.S.S. Shenandoah, a Confederate commerce raider that some thought lowered the flag in 1865 or 1866, but actually continued operations in the North Pacific and is certainly a threat to the Hibiki as she heads for Ominato.  I am sure only the Confederate Navy can bring this wraith to justice.

or the Kearsarge

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4666
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/7/2009 7:14:09 PM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

That is high praise, sir, especially for something that I am often pressed for time to write. Thank you. As far as C.S.S. Shenandoah, I will see what I can do. At the least you now have that old, old song running through my head:

Oh Shenandoah,
I long to hear you,
Away you rolling river,
Oh Shenandoah,
I long to hear you,
Away, I'm bound away
'Cross the wide Missouri...

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4667
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/7/2009 7:17:04 PM   
Cuttlefish

May 8, 1945

Course: North-northeast
Fuel: 307

---

Transmission from Marcus Island, picked up aboard Hibiki at 1500 hours:

We are under heavy attack from enemy carrier planes. Nittsu Maru sunk. Estimate 150 to 200 planes.

---

“What direction?” mutters Kuwaki, staring at the message just delivered to the bridge from the radio room. “Where are they coming from? That makes all the difference to us.”

“Perhaps from the south, sir?” offers Ensign Konada.

“Captain is on the bridge!” someone barks. Everyone except the helmsman comes to attention as Ishii climbs up the ladder from below. They return to their duties as Ishii crosses to Lieutenant Kuwaki and examines the proffered flimsy.

“From the west, I think,” says Ishii after a moment. He glances at Konada, having heard the ensign’s last statement. “If the carriers came from the Marianas, Ensign, they would not go to where our attack occurred. They would go northeast, hoping to cut us off. That would put them west of Marcus.”

“Then they got there fast, sir,” says Kuwaki.

“Yes, very fast,” says Ishii. “Now you know why we have been bearing northeast ourselves and not heading straight north towards home. Admiral Yamamoto is no fool.”

“Do you think they can catch us, sir?” asks Ensign Konada. The young officer tries not to sound nervous about the prospect.

“They are maybe 1200 kilometers away now, if I am correct,” says Ishii. “They don’t have to catch us, just get their planes within striking distance. Yes, they can do it, if they guess well or learn our location.” He pauses, mindful that what is said on the bridge is usually soon heard all over the ship. “But it is a big ocean and the enemy has a difficult task. I like our chances.”

“Yes sir,” says Kuwaki stolidly.

“Just think of it as a very large game of hide-and-seek, Ensign,” says Ishii.

“Yes sir,” says Konada. He tries, but he does not recall that he and his siblings ever played the game using torpedoes and armor-piercing bombs.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4668
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/7/2009 8:11:32 PM   
kaleun

Chews nails.....

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4669
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/7/2009 8:13:29 PM   
ChezDaJez

quote:

“Yes sir,” says Konada. He tries, but he does not recall that he and his siblings ever played the game using torpedoes and armor-piercing bombs.

Would definitely be an interesting version to play if he did!

Chez

Ret Navy AWCS (1972-1998)
VP-5, Jacksonville, Fl 1973-78
ASW Ops Center, Rota, Spain 1978-81
VP-40, Mt View, Ca 1981-87
Patrol Wing 10, Mt View, CA 1987-90
ASW Ops Center, Adak, Ak 1990-92
NRD Seattle 1992-96
VP-46, Whidbey Isl, Wa 1996-98

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4670
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/9/2009 3:22:32 PM   
Droop21

Bump. I could not stand this AAR drifting so far down the list

(in reply to ChezDaJez)
Post #: 4671
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/10/2009 2:34:39 AM   
Hornblower

this is great...

(in reply to Droop21)
Post #: 4672
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/10/2009 9:14:28 PM   
Cuttlefish

Sorry, this isn't an entry in the AAR, just a heads up that I am on vacation and headed for places where internet access is spotty at best. It may be a few days before I can update again.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4673
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/10/2009 9:52:27 PM   
kaleun

Sun Tzu

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4674
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/11/2009 12:01:55 AM   
alaviner

The true master of suspense

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4675
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/11/2009 3:05:17 AM   
Hornblower

Enjoy your vacation. Hopefully it offers drinks with umbrellas and soft winds from the sea

(in reply to alaviner)
Post #: 4676
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/11/2009 9:11:50 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

just a heads up that I am on vacation and headed for places where internet access is spotty at best.

Tsk, tsk. That's what they make "smartphones" for.

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4677
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/11/2009 9:42:35 PM   
SireChaos

quote:

Is there any way this AAR could be published as a novel? I don´t think so, but one can always hope...

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4678
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/15/2009 8:21:53 PM   
Cuttlefish

May 9, 1945

Course: North
Fuel: 264

---

Torpedoman Kinsei shivers a little and steps next to the center torpedo mount to get out of the wind. It is night and there is a chill in the air that was not present when they were further south. He can see little but he can feel the reassuring rumble of the engines as they propel the ship through the dark water. Those engines, he reflects, have taken the ship hundreds of thousands of kilometers since the start of the war and they were not shiny and new then. This would not be an opportune time to have one of them fail but their rhythm seems to him to be reassuring and strong.

He hates night lookout duty, especially on dark cloudy nights like this. His chances of seeing anything at all are almost nil. He hopes he is relieved soon. No sooner does he think this than he hears footsteps and a large shape materializes out of the gloom.

“Kinsei? Is that you?” says a voice. It’s Hosogaya.

“Yes, it’s me,” he replies. Hosogaya steps closer.

“It’s dark tonight,” he grumbles. “I almost broke my leg getting up here.” He isn’t joking; it happens. Moving around on the deck of a pitching, blacked-out destroyer requires a certain agility.

“It’s going to get worse,” comments Kinsei gloomily. He doesn’t like the cold. “If we keep on going north it will probably get foggy. It’s almost always foggy in the Kuriles this time of year.”

“Is that where we are?”

“I think so. We are getting close, anyway. I hope the enemy doesn’t chase us all the way to Paramushiro.”

“At least it isn’t winter,” says Hosogaya.

“True!” says Kinsei. “I went on a training cruise in the Kuriles in February. I was so cold I thought I would freeze and so seasick I didn’t care if I did or not. It was miserable!”

There is silence for a moment. Someone passes below them, probably Petty Officer Okubo making his rounds of the lookout posts.

“I heard some talk before I came topsides,” says Hosogaya. “Straight from the bridge, they said. The enemy is still after us and getting closer.”

Kinsei sighs. “Maybe we will lose them in the fog,” he says.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4679
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/15/2009 9:39:58 PM   
tocaff

Mid '45 is not a good time to be Japanese.

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4680
Page:   <<   < prev  154 155 [156] 157 158   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Small Ship, Big War Page: <<   < prev  154 155 [156] 157 158   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI