Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Into Enemy Waters

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Into Enemy Waters Page: <<   < prev  23 24 [25] 26 27   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Into Enemy Waters - 5/21/2007 5:53:39 PM   
cantona2

More great updates Cuttlefish

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 721
RE: Into Enemy Waters - 5/22/2007 2:37:38 AM   
Cuttlefish

September 17, 1942

Course: North by northeast
Attached to: TF 79
Mission: Air combat
System Damage: 7
Float Damage: 0
Fires: 0
Fuel: 339

Orders: Proceed to Luganville to take on fuel and supplies.

---

Taiki manages to catch Riku alone up on deck near the aft dual 5” turret. He holds up a hand as he approaches, forestalling Riku’s attempt to come to attention.

“Forget that for now, Riku-san,” he says. “This has nothing to do with rank. I want to speak with you as friend to friend.” Riku relaxes a little and looks curious, though a bit wary.

“Yes?” he says. Taiki leans against the rail and crosses his arms.

“I’ve been thinking about what you told me, about your smuggling activities. And I wanted to ask you a question.” Riku cocks his head a little to one side.

“I wondered when you would get back to that,” he says. “I figured that with us coming to a port you would have to make a decision about what to do.”

“Do you have any business interests in Luganville?” ask Taiki. Riku shakes his head.

“No,” he says, “I presume someone else is the main distributor for the South Pacific. I have the Central Pacific. Is that what you wanted to ask?”

“No,” replies Taiki. “My actual question is this: why are you doing it?” Riku looks surprised.

“Why? To make money, of course,” he answers. Taiki nods.

“Of course,” he says. “Then let me ask you another question. Why do you want to make money?” Riku leans against the rail beside Taiki and thinks about his answer for a moment.

“At first it was an end in itself,” he says at length. “Then after I met…her, I knew I had to do it. Shiro once told me that being the best sailor in the Navy would not be enough to win Shun’s approval, and he is right. This war will not last forever, and when it is over I think I can make something of myself. With what I have learned and the money I am making as seed money, I think I can become a successful businessman. Being rich…well, I think that is a strong recommendation for any parent. Shun will see that I can take care of his daughter.”

“I see,” says Taiki. “I thought it was something like that. Think about this, though, my friend. Even if Shun does not know how you got the money to start this business career, do you think you can keep it secret from Nanami forever, if you do somehow succeed in marrying her? Or even if you do, do you think that it is a good basis on which to build love and a family?” Riku looks a little confused.

“It might be a little like trying to build a nice house on a rotten foundation,” Taiki continues. “The house might seem like a good one, but sooner or later cracks will appear in the walls and things will start to fall apart.” Now Riku looks more thoughtful.

“But what should I do, Taiki-san?” he asks. “How can I win her without money?” Taiki smiles.

“I think you are underestimating yourself,” he says. “I think you have shown that there is a lot you can do when you put your mind to it. You have already won the respect of many on the ship through your talents and your honest hard work. I rather think that if you really need to be rich, you can find ways to do it, ways that earn the respect and admiration of both father and daughter.”

“Do you truly think so?” asks Riku. Taiki nods.

“I truly do,” he says. “At any rate, I wanted to tell you that I am going to do nothing about what I have learned. You are free to do as you will.” Riku lets out a long breath.

“Thank you,” he says. Taiki steps away from the rail.

“We will see,” he says. “I wish I knew whether or not I was doing you a favor.” He walks away. Behind him Riku turns around. He stands looking down at the water rushing past the side of the ship, a thoughtful look on his face.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 722
RE: Into Enemy Waters - 5/22/2007 2:38:28 AM   
Cuttlefish

September 18, 1942

Course: North
Fuel: 307

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 723
RE: Luganville - 5/22/2007 2:40:10 AM   
Cuttlefish

September 19, 1942

Course: None
Fuel: 276

---

The crew of the Hibiki get their first look at Espiritu Santo as the task force approaches from the south. They see a large and mountainous island covered with forests and vegetation. Luganville, the principal Japanese base, is on the south coast. It is not visible as the ships approach, however, as it lies hidden behind Aore Island. The Segond Channel between the two islands forms a large and sheltered anchorage.

The Japanese have occupied the New Hebrides since late February, and in the almost seven months since have built up their facilities at Luganville considerably. Anti-aircraft emplacements dot the area, and several contingents of engineers are continuing work to improve the airfield and the defenses. There is also a detachment of naval landing force troops present.

Despite this the base is something of a rear area. Most of the troops and aircraft are deployed at Efate to the south or Noumea to the southwest. As Hibiki enters the channel and drops anchor the only planes visible are a handful of H8K flying boats. There are five ships already present; three freighters, a minelayer tender, and a seaplane tender.

There had been a significant mixed British and French population here before the war, but there are few if any signs of them by the time of Hibiki’s arrival. No one asks what has become of them; it is possible that no one really wants to know the answer.

The extensive coastal plantations remain, however, and provide a bounty of fresh food to the weary crewmen. Coconuts, pineapples, mangos, island cabbage, seafood, several kinds of nuts, fresh beef and more are there for the eating. For the men of the Hibiki this is a gift beyond price. Captain Ishii lets as many of the crew ashore as possible the afternoon they arrive. Those who remain aboard wait impatiently for their chance tomorrow.

Even here the Japanese ships cannot let their guard down completely. Efate has already been attacked once, and despite the peaceful appearance of the island the enemy is not all that far away. The beautiful and idyllic South Pacific has become a region with some sharp teeth indeed, and not all of them belong to the sharks.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 724
RE: Luganville - 5/22/2007 5:22:09 PM   
princep01

Absolutely outstanding work, cuttlefish.  The conversation between Taiki and Riku is a gem.  just excellent. 

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 725
RE: Luganville - 5/22/2007 5:24:46 PM   
kaleun

Yeah, what he said.

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to princep01)
Post #: 726
RE: Luganville - 5/22/2007 10:23:51 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cuttlefish

Despite this the base is something of a rear area. Most of the troops and aircraft are deployed at Efate to the south or Noumea to the southwest. As Hibiki enters the channel and drops anchor the only planes visible are a handful of H8K flying boats. There are five ships already present; three freighters, a minelayer tender, and a seaplane tender.

Even here the Japanese ships cannot let their guard down completely. Efate has already been attacked once, and despite the peaceful appearance of the island the enemy is not all that far away. The beautiful and idyllic South Pacific has become a region with some sharp teeth indeed, and not all of them belong to the sharks.

I would imagine there would be attacks, since Fiji is still in Allied hands. Things may change when the USAAF in the Pacific converts from expensive B-17's to more plentiful B-24's. But it looks like the struggle for "The Island of Death" (Guadalcanal) may never take place.

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 727
RE: Luganville - 5/22/2007 10:51:14 PM   
qgaliana

As impressed as I am by the writing, I'm falling down at the turnaround time for turns. Looks like you guys are doing like 2 or 3 turns a day? I have trouble keeping that pace in an AI game

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 728
RE: Luganville - 5/22/2007 11:03:29 PM   
kaleun

I have kept that pace on occassion, but only on particularly ggod days.

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to qgaliana)
Post #: 729
RE: Luganville - 5/22/2007 11:16:16 PM   
ny59giants

quote:

As impressed as I am by the writing, I'm falling down at the turnaround time for turns. Looks like you guys are doing like 2 or 3 turns a day?

I think he said earlier that he was behind in his writings of over a month game time. Thus, he is still in catch up mode.

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 730
RE: Luganville - 5/22/2007 11:41:51 PM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: qgaliana

As impressed as I am by the writing, I'm falling down at the turnaround time for turns. Looks like you guys are doing like 2 or 3 turns a day? I have trouble keeping that pace in an AI game

We're moving this game along at a pretty good pace. We started four months ago (Jan. 24, I think) and the current date in the game is Oct. 5, '42. That's about 2.5 turns a day average, not bad considering that he's in Germany and I'm in Oregon.

(in reply to qgaliana)
Post #: 731
RE: Luganville - 5/23/2007 9:23:45 AM   
John 3rd

I wish I could do 2.5 turns a day!  Sure would be nice for life to slow down and allow that...

Nice work as always Cuttlefish.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 732
RE: Luganville - 5/24/2007 2:40:38 AM   
Cuttlefish

September 20, 1942

Fuel: 273

Orders: Take on fuel and supplies.

---

Captain Ishii is standing on the bridge, watching another boatload of Hibiki’s sailors head for Luganville. Lieutenant Miharu, who has just returned, joins him there.

“Hello, Exec. How are things ashore?”

“I think it is safe to say the men are enjoying themselves,” replied the lieutenant. “A number of them may be in less than peak condition tomorrow, in fact.” Captain Ishii nods.

“They’ve earned it,” he says.

“My presence was having an inhibiting effect, I think,“ comments Miharu, “so I decided to return and let the men enjoy themselves.”

“Good. They need to get it out of their systems today,” says the captain. “I have received word that we are leaving again tomorrow. Admiral Yamamoto has decided to pull the fleet together at Kwajalein, according to Nagumo.” Lieutenant Miharu sighs.

“I admit, even I had hoped for more time. Do we know why?” Captain Ishii shrugs.

“No doubt he has his reasons,” he says, “but they have not been communicated this far down the chain of command. We may learn more once we’re there. For now, make sure everyone is back aboard as midnight, whatever their condition. We will be leaving early.”

“Yes sir,” replies Lieutenant Miharu.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 733
RE: Return to Kwajalein - 5/24/2007 2:43:02 AM   
Cuttlefish

September 21, 1942

Fuel: 442

Orders: Proceed to Kwajalein.

---

Shortly after dawn the carrier task forces form up again off Espiritu Santo. The ships pick up speed as they leave that green island behind them and head northeast. There is no sign of enemy air or submarine activity, so as far as the Japanese know their location and destination remain a complete mystery to their foes. Of course, the location of the American carriers is also a complete mystery to the Japanese, but this causes few worries. If the enemy carriers are rash enough to put in an appearance everyone is certain that their swift destruction will be the inevitable result.

Aboard the Hibiki it is business as usual as they head out into open water, though there are more headaches aboard ship than is typical. Lookouts stand to their posts, watching carefully for the enemy. The sonar operator pings for enemy submarines, though at this speed the chance for a detection is small. In the engine rooms Sakati and his men keep a watchful eye on the machinery, which is beginning to pile up the miles since the last refit.

Hibiki takes up position on the right flank of the task force, screening Shokaku on her starboard side. The powerful carrier groups head for Kwajalein and whatever task the Imperial Navy has set for them next.

< Message edited by Cuttlefish -- 5/24/2007 3:14:55 AM >

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 734
RE: Return to Kwajalein - 5/24/2007 2:44:10 AM   
Cuttlefish

September 22, 1942

Fuel: 411

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 735
RE: Return to Kwajalein - 5/24/2007 2:45:08 AM   
Cuttlefish

September 23, 1942

Fuel: 380

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 736
RE: Return to Kwajalein - 5/24/2007 2:55:12 AM   
Onime No Kyo

You just did that so you can wrap up the Riku/Milo connection.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 737
RE: Return to Kwajalein - 5/24/2007 3:49:24 AM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: Onime No Kyo

You just did that so you can wrap up the Riku/Milo connection.

Nah, I actually hadn't planned to wrap that up for some time. It was fun and offered a lot of plot hooks going forward. But it seems demanded by other things that are going on. And of course we don't know for sure what Riku is going to do next.

I had not planned to introduce the Riku/Milo connection at all. But Cap Mandrake picked up on my little tribute and ran with it a bit, and it got woven into the story. A lot of this AAR is like that; since I can never be sure what is going to happen next I don't plan ahead much and just go with what seems to fit when I sit down to write.

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 738
RE: Return to Kwajalein - 5/24/2007 5:34:08 PM   
kaleun

It works!

Sun Tzu

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 739
Take Hilo and Kona - 5/24/2007 5:45:46 PM   
WhoCares

You might not want to put your current plans into the heading of this thread, as your opponent will read it as well. It is displayed on the main WitP forum if this thread is the latest in the AAR subforum.
For this time I fixed it for you

P.S. I hope there were no plans to take Hawaii?!

< Message edited by WhoCares -- 5/24/2007 5:53:17 PM >

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 740
RE: Take Hilo and Kona - 5/24/2007 5:54:46 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: WhoCares

You might not want to put your current plans into the heading of this thread, as your opponent will read it as well. It is displayed on the main WitP forum if this thread is the latest in the AAR subforum.

Since he is a month ahead in actual events in his game, not much to worry about...

(in reply to WhoCares)
Post #: 741
RE: Take Hilo and Kona - 5/24/2007 5:57:54 PM   
WhoCares

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso
Since he is a month ahead in actual events in his game, not much to worry about...

But his opponent probably doesn't know...

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 742
RE: Take Hilo and Kona - 5/25/2007 2:09:19 AM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: WhoCares

You know, this had never actually occured to me. Even though rtrapasso is right, the time delay does blunt the usefulness of any information I might accidentally give wolffpack, there's no point in hanging out a sign telling him what I'm up to. Maybe l should start changing the names of my posts to things like "Raid on Seattle." Anyway, thanks for the heads up.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 743
RE: Concerning Hank Greenberg - 5/25/2007 2:12:26 AM   
Cuttlefish

September 24, 1942

Course: Northeast
Fuel: 349

---

Captain Ishii encounters Lieutenant Miharu in the companionway outside the Captain’s cabin. It is early in the morning; Miharu has had command of the ship through the latter half of the night. He stops and salutes as Captain Ishii approaches.

“Good morning, sir,” he says.

“Good morning,” replies the captain. “Has everything been quiet?”

“Yes sir. Steaming northeast at 24 knots, no contacts or problems. Lieutenant Sugiyura has the bridge.”

“Excellent. We should make Kwajalein in four days at this rate,” Ishii says. “Perhaps we will get to spend a little time there. Luganville was a nice break, but I think the crew needs more time ashore. I hear they’ve set up a baseball field near the airbase on Kwajalein itself,” he says wistfully.

“You are quite a fan, aren’t you sir?” asks Miharu.

“I am,” says the captain. “Oh, I never played much, but I have always enjoyed the game.”

“Did I ever tell you I saw an American baseball game once?”

“What! No, you never told me that. When was this?” demands Ishii. Lieutenant Miharu is secretly rather pleased at the Ishii’s reaction. The captain is a fair man, but it is difficult to impress him.

“It was during the year I spent at Annapolis,” says the lieutenant. “My hosts took me to see a game played by the team in Washington.”

“The Senators, yes! Tell me, who did they play?” Miharu’s brows contract as he tries to remember.

“It was the team with the same name as our own Hanshin team,” he says after a moment. “The Tigers of Detroit.” Captain Ishii’s eyes light up.

“Then you must have seen Hank Greenberg!” he says.

“Hm, I did. I remember my hosts talking about him. He hit a home run, as I recall.” Captain Ishii sighs.

“Ah, I envy you, Exec,” he says. “He has always been my favorite among the American players. A great player and a man of conviction. I would love to see him play one day.”

“It was an odd thing, watching American baseball,” says Miharu. “I am no expert on the game; the play on the field did not seem different to me from Japanese baseball. But the experience was very different from watching a game in Japan. The spectators were all very vocal. They did not sit politely and watch as Japanese do. Instead they made a great deal of noise. I even heard some very dire insults yelled at the umpires.” Ishii smiles.

“I have heard about that,” he says. “Yes, it is very different.” He pauses for a moment. “I wonder what Hank Greenberg is doing right now. What irony it would it be if we were to meet in battle!”

“America has no lack of men,” says Miharu. “Perhaps their baseball players are being kept with their teams to keep up the morale of the citizens during the war.” Captain Ishii snorts indignantly.

“I do not think Hank Greenberg is the sort of man who would fail to serve his country,” he says.

---

Note: Hank Greenberg was the first major league baseball player to enlist following the attack on Pearl Harbor. He joined the USAAF and after graduating from Officer Candidate School made repeated requests to be allowed to serve overseas. These were finally granted, and he spent the latter part of the war helping to scout and establish bomber bases in China and Burma.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 744
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 5/25/2007 2:13:34 AM   
Cuttlefish

September 25, 1942

Fuel: 318

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 745
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 5/25/2007 2:15:17 AM   
Cuttlefish

September 26, 1942

Fuel: 287

---

Late in the afternoon the task force is delayed briefly when a D3A returning from a scouting mission makes a bad landing aboard the Akagi. The plane goes over the side. The pilot, though a bit battered, is successfully rescued.

Such mishaps are inevitable, but they are surprisingly uncommon. Right now there can be little doubt that the Japanese carrier pilots are among the finest pilots in the world. They were highly trained when the war started, and in the nine and a half months since they have acquired a great deal more experience with few losses. The fighter pilots have achieved a kill ratio of better than 10 to 1, and there are many aces among their ranks. The bomber pilots have sunk over 60 enemy ships, everything from tramp steamers to aircraft carriers.

Even the sailors aboard the Hibiki are willing to acknowledge that it is this handful of pilots who are the cornerstone of the Japanese defense of their Pacific empire. The enemy is unwilling or unable to challenge them, and as long as they and their carriers remain intact Japan can counter any serious attack.

No one in the rank and file can see any reason this state of affairs should not continue indefinitely.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 746
RE: Take Hilo and Kona - 5/25/2007 12:16:13 PM   
Reg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cuttlefish

Maybe l should start changing the names of my posts to things like "Raid on Seattle." Anyway, thanks for the heads up.

This was was brought up a short time ago in a thread on "messing with your opponents mind."

All's fair....

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 747
RE: Take Hilo and Kona - 5/25/2007 4:42:17 PM   
princep01

Yelling "dire insults" at umpires is an American right so ingrained in our culture that many believe it should be in the US Constitution.  Besides, everyone knows that umps are as deaf as they are blind.

Very funny, Mr. Cuttlefish.  I laughed outloud at that one!!

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 748
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 5/25/2007 11:35:55 PM   
Cuttlefish

September 27, 1942

Fuel: 255

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 749
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 5/25/2007 11:38:59 PM   
Cuttlefish

September 28, 1942

Fuel: 475

Orders: Take on fuel and supplies.

---

Kwajalein remains a very active base despite the end of the effort to recapture Wake Island. It is the administrative and military nerve center for a series of bases ranging from Eniwetok down through the Marshalls and the Gilberts to Baker Island, and many ships and supplies pass through here on a daily basis.

There are over a dozen freighters in the anchorage when Hibiki arrives. A tender is busy servicing a pair of minelayers, and submarine I-174 is coming into the lagoon following a patrol to the northeast. Near the islands a task force of several escort and seaplane carriers is preparing to depart. Fourteen destroyers and light cruisers are anchored in neat rows nearby.

Hibiki takes on mail and supplies while waiting for her turn to refuel at the docks. Late in the morning Captain Ishii is summoned to a meeting at fleet headquarters on Namur. He turns command over to Lieutenant Miharu and goes ashore.

---

The assembled officers meet in a converted supply hut next to naval headquarters. Captain Ishii takes a seat with the others in the long, low building and waits to hear what Admiral Shimizu has to say. The Admiral clears his throat and the officers fall politely silent, waiting.

“First of all, let me congratulate you on a successful raid to the south,” Shimizu begins. “Half a dozen tankers may not seem like a large return for weeks at sea, but let me assure you that the effect your attack had on our enemies goes far beyond tonnage sunk. They have been reminded that our forces and can strike anywhere, at any time, and they cannot conduct even routine operations in safety.” To Captain Ishii it sounds as though the Admiral is preparing his audience for unwelcome news. He is not wrong.

“To maintain this feeling of uncertainty and fear among our enemies,” Shimizu continues, “we are sending you out again immediately.” There is a stir among the ship captains, though in typical Japanese fashion no one says anything. It is apparent, however, that they are not pleased.

“I know that your crews are tired, and in many cases your ships need repairs,” says Shimizu. “However, it is important that we strike again quickly. The enemy appears to believe our carriers are still in the south, and their appearance elsewhere will deepen his uncertainly and confusion. This in turn will cause them to waste time and effort, giving us more time to prepare for the battles ahead.” He pauses and looks out at the listening men. “Does anyone have a comment to offer before I proceed?” For a moment there is silence, then Captain Tametsugu, commander of the heavy cruiser Tone, slowly rises to his feet.

“I do not wish to question the wisdom of those in the Imperial Navy responsible for this decision,” he says. “But I believe I speak for many of us when I say that our ships are in need of work, and our crews in need of rest. To be perfectly honest, I am not certain that we are in the best of condition to meet the enemy. Our spirits are high and we are more than willing to do our duty, but there are limits to what can be accomplished with spirit alone.” He sits down to a murmur of approval from the others.

“There is truth in what you say,” says Shimizu. “But you are not being sent on a long mission. We are confident that there will be no encounter with significant American fleet elements.” Captain Ishii, unable to contain himself, now rises to his feet. Admiral Shimizu, who is somewhat familiar with Ishii’s temper, looks at him a little askance but asks him to speak.

“Have we contacted the Americans about this?” asks Ishii. Admiral Shimizu looks a little confused.

“I do not understand,” he says.

“Have we contacted the Americans?” repeats Ishii sardonically. “Since we are counting on them to do as we expect, should we not enlist their cooperation?” He sits down. Shimizu gives him a strained smile.

“Jests aside, are there any further comments?” asks the Admiral. There are none. “Very well. Here is your mission: reconnaissance aircraft based on Baker Island have detected increased American shipping between their bases at Canton and Palmyra, with a number of vessels currently present at Canton. You will attempt to penetrate the gap in their search coverage between these two bases and attack shipping in the area.

“If you are successful,” he continues, “well and good. If you are detected, that also serves our purposes. In either case an attack on enemy shipping at Canton before you return here might prove useful.”

“No,” says Admiral Nagumo firmly. Admiral Shimizu, taken aback, asks him what he means.

“I mean that such an operation will not take place while I remain in command of Kido Butai,” says Nagumo. “Our enemies have tried such an operation against shore installations twice. The Americans used two carriers, and both were damaged. The British used four; two were sunk and two more at least heavily damaged. I will not risk our carriers in order to sink a handful of freighters.”

“But you yourself lead the attack on Pearl Harbor!” protests Shimizu.

“Yes, and some may recall I had grave reservations about that attack,” said Nagumo. “As it happened, we were successful. But that time has come and gone. Such an attack now could achieve nothing compared to what we would risk.”

Admiral Shimizu hesitates. He has his orders from Yamamoto himself. Yet while he is technically ahead of Nagumo in the chain of command here he knows he does not have the clout to force Nagumo to do this. He decides not to push the issue. Yamamoto can take it up directly with Nagumo if he wishes.

“Very well,” he says. “I defer to your experience and judgment, Admiral. Take what action seems good to you at the time regarding such attacks.”

With face thus saved on both sides, the meeting gets down to more technical matters. Admiral Shimizu is relieved to turn things over to the staff officers. All in all, he feels, the briefing really could have gone much better.

< Message edited by Cuttlefish -- 5/27/2007 5:44:28 AM >

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 750
Page:   <<   < prev  23 24 [25] 26 27   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Into Enemy Waters Page: <<   < prev  23 24 [25] 26 27   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI