Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Small Ship, Big War

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Small Ship, Big War Page: <<   < prev  26 27 [28] 29 30   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 6/6/2007 1:40:10 AM   
kaleun

Reminds me of the war movies from the 40s and fifties. All the girls were decently covered, no hanky panky going on, and nobody used any worse curse word than "darn"

It seems like the enemy were always repairing their socks!

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 811
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 6/6/2007 1:55:06 AM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: tocaff

Pliers for the tooth!  How about something for the pain?  I notice that you keep the story rated PG, no comfort women?  I just figured that I'd ask since shore leave, booze and fights seem to be the order of the day.  

I figure that any story that has sailors coming in off a three month cruise and NOT indulging in booze and fighting is going to lose all credibility. Comfort women...that's another issue entirely. I have touched very lightly on forced labor, vanished POWs, and other topics, but I don't intend to dwell on them. These things happened, and there is a time and place to talk about them. This AAR is not that time or place.

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 812
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 6/6/2007 1:59:08 AM   
cantona2

Loveeeeeeeeee this AAR

1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 813
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 6/6/2007 7:28:11 AM   
bradfordkay

Captain Ishii has certainly found his paradise, hasn't he?

For most of us here it would have to be a little larger island, with a south pacific plantation home on the hill with a wind generator powering your computer and satellite internet connection for PBEM in the evenings...

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 814
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 6/6/2007 10:27:21 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cuttlefish

October 26, 1942

Course: None
Attached to: Disbanded in port
Mission: None
System Damage: 6
Float Damage: 0
Fires: 0
Fuel: 475

Orders: Perform routine maintenance and repairs and await further orders.

0950: Seaman First Class Nagaaki came to dispensary with swollen thumb. Thumb found to be broken, set and placed in cast. No duty recommendation, but advised patient to hit people with thumb outside of fist, not inside.

Somewhere in Japan there is a father who left out that part of his son's education.

BTW, I forgot to compliment you on turning an increase in system damage into a paragraph dealing with the Chief Engineer. How's that unbalanced shaft doing?

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 815
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 6/7/2007 8:10:02 PM   
tocaff

Aye aye CF.  I was just fooling around.  I'm immensly enjoying the tales that you weave.

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 816
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 6/7/2007 8:53:48 PM   
kaleun

That's the difficulty with running a PG AAR.
We have to watch the language and the s3xual content.

And let's not forget the pervasive use of tobacco.

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 817
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 6/7/2007 8:59:50 PM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock

BTW, I forgot to compliment you on turning an increase in system damage into a paragraph dealing with the Chief Engineer. How's that unbalanced shaft doing?

Thank you, Capt. Harlock, and once again you have anticipated a future entry. We will get back to that before long.

quote:

ORIGIANL: tocaff

Aye aye CF. I was just fooling around. I'm immensly enjoying the tales that you weave.

No problem, it just seemed like a good time to mention some of the boundaries I've set for myself. Glad you are enjoying the tales!

Post #: 818
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 6/7/2007 9:01:32 PM   
Cuttlefish

October 27, 1942

System Damage: 6

---

Shiro Kuramata is standing beside the forward 5” turret. He has a chipping hammer in one hand and a wire brush in the other and is wielding them with dexterity. Chips of gray paint are flying through the air and forming a nice pile around his feet. To his left Seaman Second Class Hikaru Shoji is doing the same work, though without quite as much speed and skill.

The air is warm and humid. Both men are stripped to the waist and sweating heavily as they work.

“When I am no longer in the Navy,” grunts Hikaru, “I am never going to paint anything ever again.” A big chip of paint flies back and strikes him in the forehead, then falls to the deck. Shiro grins.

“I enjoy painting,” he says, “but I agree it may be a long time before I want to paint something gray.” He stops and gestures at a spot up and to Hikaru’s left. “You missed a spot,” he says. Hikaru glares at the offending spot and grunts.

“Seriously, I think I have stripped and painted this turret three times since the war started,” he says. “Not to mention the rest of the ship. Chip and paint, chip and paint, chip and paint! What would it hurt if we stopped painting the ship for even a month or two?”

“Rust,” says Shiro, not pausing in his work. “The enemy of every warship, from gunboat to aircraft carrier.”

“The enemy of every sailor, you mean,” grumbles Hikaru. The conversation is interrupted by the arrival of Riku, who is carrying two five-gallon buckets of gray paint. He sets them down on the deck next to the two men and flexes his hands.

“There you go, gentlemen,” he says, “courtesy of the ship’s stores.” He pauses and looks over the side of the turret. “You missed a spot,” he says to Hikaru, pointing to the area up and to the left. Hikaru rolls his eyes in exasperation. Riku laughs and lifts up a small bucket he had somehow balanced on top of one of the paint cans. “I brought you some water,” he said. Both men thank him. Hikaru takes the bucket, drinks deeply, and then offers it to Shiro.

When the men are done Riku takes back the empty bucket and departs. The two sailors return to their work. A few moments later a low voice speaks from behind Hikaru.

“You missed a spot,” it says.

“Will everyone just shut up about the damned spot…” says Hikaru, turning impatiently. His voice shuts off in something close to a moan as he sees who he is talking to.

“Please, continue your statement,” says Chief Petty Officer Shun. He pauses and examines the callused knuckles of his right hand. “Start again with the part where you told me to shut up. That was very interesting…”

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 819
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 6/7/2007 9:04:47 PM   
kaleun

You know; i keep checking back on this over and over again, to see if there's more.

I seem to have a problem!

Sun Tzu

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 820
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 6/8/2007 1:18:14 AM   
Cuttlefish

October 28, 1942

System Damage: 5

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 821
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 6/8/2007 1:19:25 AM   
Cuttlefish

October 29, 1942

System Damage: 4

---

Riku is ashore at Namur. He is approaching the quartermaster’s office, clipboard in hand, when he sees a man he knows from the light cruiser Kiso coming out of the building.

“Hello, Yanagawa,” he says cheerfully. “How are you doing?” The other man raises a hand in greeting.

“Hey, Ariga, how are you?” he says. He gestures back at the quartermaster’s office. “I’m trying to get hold of some more canned fruit before we have to ship out again, but no luck.”

“Really?” says Riku. “I might be able to help you there. We were down at Luganville not too long ago and I have a storeroom full of canned pineapple. Would twelve cases help?” Yanagawa’s eyes light up, then he stops and eyes Riku.

“It certainly would,” he says. “What are you looking for?” Riku makes a show of examining his clipboard, even though he knows to the last item everything the Hibiki still needs.

“Hmm,” he says. “You just came from Tokyo, right? You wouldn’t happen to have any beer, by chance?”

“You don’t expect me to give up any of that, do you?” says Yanagawa. Riku shrugs.

“Just a thought,” he says. “That pineapple is pretty good, though. It tastes wonderful after a couple of weeks at sea. So juicy, so sweet…” Yanagawa holds up a hand.

“All right, all right,” he says. “Two cases.” Riku considers.

“Only two?” he says. “I suppose that would do if I could fill in a couple of other items I need. Do you have any onions?” Yanangawa nods. The two men settle down to dickering in earnest. In the end Riku gets three cases of beer, nine sacks of onions, thirty dozen eggs, and a spare motor for a Type 19 pump in exchange for twelve cases of pineapple.

The deal done, the two men go their separate ways. Riku starts once again for the quartmaster’s office but is stopped by a hail from behind him. He turns and sees a man he knows from destroyer Shigure hurrying up to him.

“Hey, Ariga,” says the man, “I hear you still have some crates of mangoes to spare. Are you interested in swapping them for anything?” Riku again makes a show of consulting his clipboard.

“Let’s see…” he says.

< Message edited by Cuttlefish -- 6/8/2007 2:26:26 AM >

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 822
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 6/8/2007 2:19:49 AM   
Onime No Kyo

Ah, yes! The young man has finally blossomed into a scrounger extrordinaire. I knew he would someday do his country and mother proud.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 823
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 6/8/2007 2:26:00 AM   
Cuttlefish

October 30, 1942

System Damage: 3

---

“I see,” says Captain Ishii. “And how long will this take?” Chief Engineer Sakati considers the question for only a second.

“Twelve hours, sir” he says. “No more.”

“You are aware, of course,” says Ishii, “that we are under orders to be ready to sortie at twenty-four hours notice. You and I both know that if something happens we may not have even that long. I can give you eight hours.” Sakati considers.

“Very well, sir,” he says. “I can promise that we will be done by then. Shall we begin immediately?” Captain Ishii nods.

“Proceed, Chief Engineer. Let me know if any problems develop.” Sakati salutes and departs. Once he descends from the tower he collects his waiting crew.

“Come on, lads,” he says. “We have six hours to get that gearbox apart, get everything lined up properly, and get it all back together.” He leads the way down to the engine rooms. With luck this will correct the shaft vibration. Sakati hates anything that has an effect on the ship’s top speed, and somehow every little thing that goes wrong on the ship has a way of slowing the destroyer down. Repairs on the ship are going faster than expected though, given the limited facilities available, and he expects that soon all important repairs and maintenance will be complete.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 824
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 6/8/2007 5:35:57 AM   
alaviner

Great job CF. I am sure you have told us before but have you ever published aything?  You definately have the talent and a great story telling style.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 825
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 6/8/2007 8:32:33 AM   
brisd

I just got caught up on the story.  Well done!  Great characters and fine writing, I shall look forward to each entry.  I do think the IJN should use its current superiority in naval forces to attack a target worth some victory points, such as in India, Ceylon or Australia that might bring out the US forces to battle.  Sweeping empty seas and 'waving the flag' in front of the bull (Halsey) is not going to win the war IMO.

"I propose to fight it out on this line if it takes all summer."-Note sent with Congressman Washburne from Spotsylvania, May 11, 1864, to General Halleck. - General Ulysses S. Grant

(in reply to alaviner)
Post #: 826
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 6/8/2007 6:16:06 PM   
Feinder

I know it's just me being a narrow visioned American, but I still have trouble with the names of the characters.  It would be much easier to keep track of them all if they were named Gilligan, Skipper, Professor, Mr. Howell.

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to brisd)
Post #: 827
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 6/8/2007 9:45:29 PM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: NCSUforest

Great job CF. I am sure you have told us before but have you ever published aything? You definately have the talent and a great story telling style.

Thank you kindly! Nope, I am unpublished (unless you count winning the LA Times Halloween scary story contest once).

quote:

ORIGINAL: brisd

I just got caught up on the story. Well done! Great characters and fine writing, I shall look forward to each entry. I do think the IJN should use its current superiority in naval forces to attack a target worth some victory points, such as in India, Ceylon or Australia that might bring out the US forces to battle. Sweeping empty seas and 'waving the flag' in front of the bull (Halsey) is not going to win the war IMO.

I'm glad you have enjoyed it so far. As far as your suggestion goes, I'm generally reluctant to discuss grand strategy in this AAR, though I will sometimes provide some context for the Hibiki's actions via the excerpts from Morris Elliott Samuelson's books. Certainly the crew enjoys speculating on what they think Imperial Headquarters or the enemy are up to, but their information is often incomplete and their conclusions sometimes dead wrong.

It is apparent from reading the AAR, though, that what we have here is an Imperial Japan that set out to seize resources and establish a defensible perimeter. Having done that, they are digging in and daring the Allies to do their worst. Essentially they have followed the historic Japanese plan without the addition of any symptoms of victory disease.

The Imperial Japanese Navy is intact, and in fact much stronger than when the war started. They have handily won every engagement with the enemy, and from their point of view there is no reason they should not continue to do so. The goals of the war have been achieved, and really all that is left is for the Americans to admit they are beaten.

That’s the point of view from the AAR, anyway. I might go over the course and strategy of the game from a player’s point of view once the game is over.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feinder

I know it's just me being a narrow visioned American, but I still have trouble with the names of the characters. It would be much easier to keep track of them all if they were named Gilligan, Skipper, Professor, Mr. Howell.

I’ll tell you what. If the Hibiki gets sunk I will continue the AAR by having seven survivors end up on an uncharted desert isle. They can give each other nicknames like “Little Buddy” and try to repair their radio using coconuts and bamboo.

(in reply to alaviner)
Post #: 828
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 6/8/2007 10:54:47 PM   
kaleun

quote:

I’ll tell you what. If the Hibiki gets sunk I will continue the AAR by having seven survivors end up on an uncharted desert isle. They can give each other nicknames like “Little Buddy” and try to repair their radio using coconuts and bamboo.

That's so hilarous!

BTW: In my new PBEM game, I'm playing Japanese, for the first time, and Hibiki got sunk by a submarine, on Dec 7th! off the PI. I am soooo bummed!

Sun Tzu

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 829
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 6/9/2007 2:40:53 AM   
Cuttlefish

October 31, 1942

System Damage: 2

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 830
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 6/9/2007 2:42:18 AM   
Cuttlefish

November 1, 1942

System Damage: 1

---

Shiro comes up from below with another bucket of paint. As he steps out on deck he has to move quickly out of the way as a group of sailors sprint past. They are carrying buckets and mops and being driven along by a harried-looking PO2. Shiro looks after them curiously, then shrugs and starts to carry the paint forward.

He runs into Taiki, who is striding quickly in his direction.

“Get that paint on quickly, Seaman Kurumata,” says Taiki, indicating the bucket. “I need your help elsewhere. Come to the gun tub when you are finished. And whatever you do, make sure everything gets stowed properly. Don’t leave even a small chip of paint on the deck.”

“Certainly, Petty Officer,” says Shiro. “Um, if I may ask, what’s going on? Why the rush?” A pair of sailors brush past him and begin energetically polishing the rail.

“What, you haven’t heard? He’s coming here, to Kwajalein. He’ll be here tomorrow,” says Taiki.

“He? Who, Petty Officer?” asks Shiro.

“Admiral Yamamoto,” says Taiki, and hurries on his way.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 831
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 6/9/2007 2:48:30 AM   
Onime No Kyo

I think Nagumo's about to get the tongue lashing of his life. I seem to remember that he and Yamamoto were never on good terms.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 832
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 6/9/2007 3:33:30 AM   
brisd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cuttlefish

I'm glad you have enjoyed it so far. As far as your suggestion goes, I'm generally reluctant to discuss grand strategy in this AAR, though I will sometimes provide some context for the Hibiki's actions via the excerpts from Morris Elliott Samuelson's books. Certainly the crew enjoys speculating on what they think Imperial Headquarters or the enemy are up to, but their information is often incomplete and their conclusions sometimes dead wrong.

It is apparent from reading the AAR, though, that what we have here is an Imperial Japan that set out to seize resources and establish a defensible perimeter. Having done that, they are digging in and daring the Allies to do their worst. Essentially they have followed the historic Japanese plan without the addition of any symptoms of victory disease.

The Imperial Japanese Navy is intact, and in fact much stronger than when the war started. They have handily won every engagement with the enemy, and from their point of view there is no reason they should not continue to do so. The goals of the war have been achieved, and really all that is left is for the Americans to admit they are beaten.

That’s the point of view from the AAR, anyway. I might go over the course and strategy of the game from a player’s point of view once the game is over.

A good explanation. Personally I feel Japan must use its fleet, airforce and army in an offensive manner until so many VP's are accrued as to win Autovictory. I can appreciate a defensive stategy, I just don't think Japan has the tools to do so against overwelming Allied forces in the long run. After I've played this game to conclusion, sometime in 2010, I may revise that opinion. Enough about grand strategy, let's see what the boss has to say about sailing the fleet around using up precious fuel without any results...

"I propose to fight it out on this line if it takes all summer."-Note sent with Congressman Washburne from Spotsylvania, May 11, 1864, to General Halleck. - General Ulysses S. Grant

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 833
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 6/9/2007 7:24:25 AM   
bradfordkay

"I’ll tell you what. If the Hibiki gets sunk I will continue the AAR by having seven survivors end up on an uncharted desert isle. They can give each other nicknames like “Little Buddy” and try to repair their radio using coconuts and bamboo."

So, should we start taking bets as to who will be wearing the coconuts and grass skirts?

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to brisd)
Post #: 834
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 6/9/2007 3:17:51 PM   
AmiralLaurent

quote:

ORIGINAL: kaleun

quote:

That's so hilarous!

BTW: In my new PBEM game, I'm playing Japanese, for the first time, and Hibiki got sunk by a submarine, on Dec 7th! off the PI. I am soooo bummed!

You missed an occasion of writing the shortest AAR in history..

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 835
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 6/9/2007 11:44:40 PM   
Cuttlefish

November 2, 1942

System Damage: 1

---

A slight breeze ruffles the waters of Kwajalein lagoon. Riding at anchor in those waters is the destroyer Hibiki. The ship fairly gleams. The decks are scrubbed, fittings are polished, and fresh paint is in evidence everywhere. New flags and pennants flutter in the wind. Every gun is trained at precisely the right angle, and the crew is neatly groomed and turned out in their dress whites.

Admiral Yamamoto arrives at Kwajalein in the morning and spends a couple of hours closeted with Admiral Nagumo, Admiral Shimizu, and several other senior officers. At 1300 he emerges from the meeting and word is swiftly passed that he will inspect the fleet. Soon a boat carrying the Admiral and his staff is heading toward the anchored ships.

The crew of the Hibiki is turned out for review. The men are given last minute scrutiny by sharp-eyed petty officers, and minor transgressions are swiftly corrected. All eyes turn to the approaching boat, which is unmistakably heading first for the double row of fifteen destroyers.

Yamamoto seems to be heading directly for the Hibiki. Officers and enlisted men alike feel ready. They are proud of their ship and its record, and they have worked tremendously hard to ensure that the destroyer has never looked better. The Admiral’s boat draws closer.

It then swings around the bow of the ship and ties up alongside Ariake, the next ship in line. The crew of the Hibiki remain in formation and watch as Yamamoto tours Ariake, pausing to speak with her captain and some of her crew. At length he climbs back down the ladder and his boat moves on, away from the destroyers and towards the capital ships.

As the admiral’s boat dwindles in the distance the Hibiki’s crew is dismissed.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 836
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 6/10/2007 1:41:05 AM   
Onime No Kyo

Awww...youre not going to introduce us to Yamamoto, CF?

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 837
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 6/10/2007 5:52:21 AM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

As the admiral’s boat dwindles in the distance the Hibiki’s crew is dismissed.

Hurry up and wait . . . the story of life in military the whole world over!

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 838
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 6/10/2007 6:09:06 PM   
kaleun

Realistic though.

Sun Tzu

Post #: 839
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 6/11/2007 10:36:37 PM   
Feinder

Must...

Have...

Hibiki...

Fix...

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 840
Page:   <<   < prev  26 27 [28] 29 30   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Small Ship, Big War Page: <<   < prev  26 27 [28] 29 30   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI