Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Small Ship, Big War

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Small Ship, Big War Page: <<   < prev  36 37 [38] 39 40   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/6/2007 4:53:34 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Barb

Hell piece of luck with the brave Goto and his squadron in the right place.

Not for Goto and his brave e-sailors!! Sort of an IJN version of the Battle off Samar - glorious but costly for those involved.

< Message edited by rtrapasso -- 8/6/2007 5:49:48 PM >

(in reply to Barb)
Post #: 1111
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/6/2007 5:33:13 PM   
kaleun

quote:

quote:

Not for Goto and his brace e-sailors!! Sort of an IJN version of the Battle off Samar - glorious but costly for those involved.

You can say that again.

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 1112
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/6/2007 9:02:52 PM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

quote:

Not for Goto and his brave e-sailors!! Sort of an IJN version of the Battle off Samar - glorious but costly for those involved.

Especially lucky in that they were not there to defend but to attack. Having them in the same area as the carriers was sheer chance. But on such chances battles often turn.

Admiral Goto will, of course, be reprimanded for losing most of his command and be reassigned to some backwater again.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 1113
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/6/2007 10:51:29 PM   
princep01

Goto to a backwater job again?????  This must be Japanese "Darwinism" at work again.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1114
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/6/2007 11:06:25 PM   
String

quote:

ORIGINAL: princep01

Goto to a backwater job again????? This must be Japanese "Darwinism" at work again.

IJN had an interesting habit of dismissing victorious commanders for not winning battles better..

(in reply to princep01)
Post #: 1115
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/6/2007 11:57:47 PM   
Cuttlefish

February 18, 1943

Course: Northwest
Attached to: TF 72
Mission: Air Combat
System Damage: 4
Float Damage: 0
Fires: 0
Fuel: 161

Orders: Return to Balikpapan to refuel and rearm.

---

Lieutenant Colonel Richard Marson, commander of the 2/25 Battalion of the the Australian 7th Infantry division, is standing on a beach on the south coast of the western end of Timor. The scene around him is one of chaos. The beach is crowded with men and equipment, and here and there burning lorries and other equipment send smoke towering into the sky. A few hundred yards away a wrecked transport lies canted on its side on the beach.

Further out to sea are more columns of smoke. Half a mile offshore an American destroyer is burning fiercely, and smoke rises from other stricken warships and transports as well. The ocean off the beach is crowded with still more transports, and what looks like hundreds of boats are moving between them and the shore.

Marson’s troops are queued in orderly rows trailing up the sand away from the water. He is proud of the men and the discipline they are showing. Behind them are 50,000 oncoming Jap troops, being held away from the evacuation by a handful of Australian cavalry. A shell explodes a couple of hundred yards down the beach. Two men go down, one of them screaming, and medics rush over to help. His men shift restlessly, and Marson decides it’s time to give them a bit of a morale boost. He takes a deep breath, despite the pain in his chest from the bullet he stopped three weeks ago.

“Not much longer now, men,” he calls, walking up and down the columns. “Our turn is coming soon.” He turns and points out at a large transport, the Esperance Bay, from which boats are even now heading in their direction. “You see that ship? That’s our ticket out of here.”

As he speaks four Japanese Betty bombers drop out of the clouds. They skim across the water, chased by occasional flak bursts, straight at Esperance Bay. The transport begins to move, but two torpedoes strike amidships in rapid succession. Esperance Bay sags in the center, her back broken, and begins to sink. A man nearby utters a low, brief oath, but otherwise there is dead silence in the ranks around Marson. The lieutenant colonel stands looking out at the water for a long moment, then he takes another deep breath and points to the next transport in line.

“You see that ship, men?” he calls. “That’s our ticket out of here.”

Up and down the beach other units wait their turn, or scramble into arriving boats. Not far from Marson’s brigade some wag has stuck a hastily painted wooden sign into the sand: “Timor Round Trip Tours Thanks You for Your Patronage – No Refunds.”

---

The departing Japanese carriers, moving slowly because of damaged Soryu, remain within range long enough to send a final strike of two dozen dive bombers to harry the Allied evacuation. The pilots come back reporting they have struck and heavily damaged a light cruiser.

Aboard Hibiki the crew is kept busy tending their 44 guests. These refugees remain on deck, except for two who are more seriously injured than the others. Though they are exposed to rain and spray they are all destroyer men and do not complain, rather they are grateful for the rescue and whatever attention the crew can give them. Riku takes charge of this effort and is kept busy moving up and down the deck all day long. The rescued men are made as comfortable as possible as Hibiki and the other ships leave Timor behind and head for Balikpapan.

---

AP Esperance Bay:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Cuttlefish -- 8/7/2007 1:58:04 AM >

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1116
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/7/2007 12:54:02 AM   
Onime No Kyo

WOW! ......just WOW!!!!!!

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1117
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/7/2007 1:32:27 AM   
Terminus

Just one thing, 2/25 would not be a brigade but a battalion. I'm sure it's just a typo.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 1118
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/7/2007 2:04:07 AM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Just one thing, 2/25 would not be a brigade but a battalion. I'm sure it's just a typo.

Right you are. Fixed. The typo was aided by the fact that the 2/25 Battalion was attached to the 25th Brigade. Richard Marson really was their commander, by the way, and actually was wounded in the chest. That happened in New Guinea, though, not on Timor.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 1119
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/7/2007 4:10:03 AM   
kaleun

quote:

[Just one thing, 2/25 would not be a brigade but a battalion. I'm sure it's just a typo.

/quote]

Picky picky picky.

Seriously, I wish Hollywood was as picky.

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1120
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/7/2007 1:04:06 PM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: kaleun

quote:

Picky picky picky.

Seriously, I wish Hollywood was as picky.

They don't know a regiment from a ramrod.

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 1121
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/8/2007 10:32:15 PM   
Capt. Harlock

Just an amazing AAR.  I wonder if Tokyo Rose will announce peace feelers from the Allies (i.e. autovictory is reached)?

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 1122
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/8/2007 11:56:58 PM   
Cuttlefish

February 19, 1943

Fuel: 474

---

Captain Ishii accepts a plate of rice and yams from a sailor with murmured thanks. He eats standing up, expertly braced against the motion of the ship. Without seeming to peer over anybody’s shoulder, especially that of Lieutenant Sugiyura, who currently has the bridge, he keeps an eye on everything going on around him.

Hibiki and the other destroyers, their tanks low from several days of combat maneuvering, refueled from the carriers earlier in the day. Despite the delay Ishii calculates they will reach Balikpapan within two days. There the fleet can reorganize and reprovision, and there they will no doubt learn with the Imperial Navy has in mind for them to do next.

It has been a quiet day otherwise, for which Ishii is grateful. Soryu is an especially vulnerable target right now and Shokaku, some of her hull plates perhaps loosened by near misses, is beginning to limp a little as well. They continue to get reports of the fighting behind them, which is already winding down. Though it has cost the Allies some ships they have not flinched, and most of their troops have been successfully evacuated. The Japanese ships and planes, worn down by three weeks of hard fighting, continue to inflict losses but mostly seem mostly content to let them go.

Ishii resists the temptation to try and analyze the Timor campaign and what it will mean for Japan. It is too soon, and he does not have enough information. He is aware that the battle has renewed speculation below decks that the Americans will call it quits and negotiate a peace, but he does not view this as a realistic possibility. The enemy seems determined, and he feels certain there will be more battles ahead.

As for the rest of it, he will leave the evaluations to the Imperial Navy staff and then to the historians. He has no doubt, however, that Koepang is destined to join the list of once obscure places whose names have become famous because two opposing forces collided there, by accident or by design.

---

Excerpts from “Naval Battles of the Pacific, Volume 3: Ring of Fire” by Morris Elliott Samuelson; Harper, Row, and Fujimori, New York, 1966

…and it would be many months before the battered Allied fleet would again be capable of offensive operations on a large scale.

The effects of the battle on the Japanese were also significant. The most important result was to strengthen the faction within the Imperial Navy which had been arguing for continuing to fight the war by maintaining a strong defensive perimeter. The more aggressive faction, led by men such as Admiral Soemu Toyoda, argued that the damage to their fleet left the enemy vulnerable to attack. But the Japanese defeat at Wake Island and the Allied defeat at Timor presented a compelling argument for the difficulties involved in taking a prepared, dug-in enemy position by amphibious assault. In the end the “Defensive” faction had their way.

The other major effect was to confirm to the Japanese the inherent superiority of their carrier air arm. It bred in the Japanese high command a belief that whenever their carrier forces met enemy carriers a Japanese victory was inevitable. While this view was not shared by Japanese carrier admirals such as Nagumo and Ozawa, it nonetheless led to a sense of complacency that would be rudely shattered when the next generation of American carriers and aircraft were finally encountered.

---

Koepang has often been referred to as “the Dunkirk of the Pacific.” While there are obvious differences between the two battles, such as the fact that Koepang was entirely a military operation whereas Dunkirk was notable for its civilian participation, the comparison is not entirely inapt. In both cases a failed campaign was partly redeemed by determination and heroism in saving the bulk of the troops involved…

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1123
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/9/2007 12:22:57 AM   
Terminus

Harper, Row and Fujimori, eh?

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1124
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/9/2007 12:47:58 AM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

Harper, Row and Fujimori, eh?

Sharp eyes, Terminus. That's been the publisher ever since the first of these very occasional excerpts appeared back on page 2 of the AAR. I've wondered if anyone would ever mention it. It's my little vote of confidence in the future of this alternate Japan.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 1125
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/9/2007 1:09:35 AM   
Onime No Kyo

As long as youre there, might as well mention Mr. Morris Elliott Samuelson....who for some odd reason writes better than his un-Scandinavian RL counterpart.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1126
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/9/2007 1:22:05 AM   
String

I wonder what has happened to dear old Frank Barnwell...

Post #: 1127
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/9/2007 1:24:28 AM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Onime No Kyo

As long as youre there, might as well mention Mr. Morris Elliott Samuelson....who for some odd reason writes better than his un-Scandinavian RL counterpart.

That's really weird... I actually read it as Samuel Elliot Morrison, because that's what I was expecting to see...

Post #: 1128
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/9/2007 1:52:31 AM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Onime No Kyo

That's really weird... I actually read it as Samuel Elliot Morrison, because that's what I was expecting to see...

Youre already going blind! (See Thread)

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 1129
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/9/2007 3:24:06 AM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: String

Nice to see Barnwell is remembered. I haven’t had a plausible reason to include him in the AAR recently, but I have kind of kept track of him. I can tell you that he did get that plane out of Java, and got it all the way to Darwin before discovering that landing a plane isn’t necessarily as easy as it looks. He has since gotten out of the hospital and rejoined his old unit, which is now in India.

He may reappear in the AAR at some point. It sounds kind of strange referring to something I invented, but I wish I could actually read his book “Twelve Islands to Freedom” about his adventures in escaping from the DEI following being shot down and picked up by Hibiki. I’ll bet it would be a fun read.

(in reply to String)
Post #: 1130
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/9/2007 3:44:59 AM   
Feinder

Tease.

You realize everytime I see "Cuttlefish" as a responder, I -must- check out to see what's happened.

Less chit-chat! More Hibiki!

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1131
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/9/2007 3:54:43 AM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: String

Nice to see Barnwell is remembered. I haven’t had a plausible reason to include him in the AAR recently, but I have kind of kept track of him. I can tell you that he did get that plane out of Java, and got it all the way to Darwin before discovering that landing a plane isn’t necessarily as easy as it looks. He has since gotten out of the hospital and rejoined his old unit, which is now in India.

He may reappear in the AAR at some point. It sounds kind of strange referring to something I invented, but I wish I could actually read his book “Twelve Islands to Freedom” about his adventures in escaping from the DEI following being shot down and picked up by Hibiki. I’ll bet it would be a fun read.

Ever consider writing something W.E.B. Griffin-y.....a la "historical fiction with severe emphasis on fiction"? You'd be great at it.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1132
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/9/2007 3:55:16 AM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feinder

Tease.

You realize everytime I see "Cuttlefish" as a responder, I -must- check out to see what's happened.

Less chit-chat! More Hibiki!

-F-

Nurse, another dose of sedatives for the Prime Minister, please.

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 1133
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/9/2007 9:39:26 PM   
Cuttlefish

February 20, 1943

Fuel: 450

---

Riku scrapes the last of the pot of rice he is carrying into a bowl and hands it to one of the rescued sailors. The man has a bandaged forehead and is sitting on the deck atop a makeshift mat made from a pair of blankets. He thanks Riku for the rice and begins to dig in. Riku takes in the man’s injuries and pallor and digs into a rucksack he is carrying slung around his neck. He comes out with a small coconut and hands it to the man, along with a knife. After another moment he manages to dig out some salted meat and hands it over as well.

The man gratefully accepts this bounty. Riku bends down to pick up his now empty pot of rice and is suddenly shoved roughly from behind. He fetches up against a bulkhead and whirls around, already coming to attention. Stepping up in front of him is Petty Officer Okubo, who looks angry.

“What do you think you are doing, Ariga?” he demands. For emphasis he shoves Riku back against the bulkhead. Riku is confused.

“I am feeding the rescued men, Petty Officer,” he says, “as I was ordered.”

“Feed them, yes, but not like this!” yells Okubo. He gestures back at the sailor Riku has just fed, who is now sitting immobile and doing his best to become invisible. “Look at him! He is eating better than I am! You are giving them meat and fresh fruit! We have not had fresh fruit in the Petty Officer’s mess for over a week,” he finishes with a growl.

“Petty Officer, many of these men are hurt,” says Riku. “I thought that they could use the nourishment, so I dug into our reserves…”

“You thought?” bursts in Okubo. “You are not supposed to think, Ariga! You are supposed to give them a standard ration, not feed them like they were nobility!”

Riku has no answer to this. He can feel himself becoming angry, but knows from long experience that attempting to tell Okubo that he is wrong would earn him nothing but some bruises. Even showing his indignation would be a serious mistake, so he keeps his eyes straight ahead and his face blank. Okubo is a self important, by-the-book type, and Riku knows that trying to reason with him would bring only more grief.

“Well?” snarls Okubo. His small eyes narrow. “I’m waiting for an answer, Ariga. If you can’t…”

Chief Petty Officer Shun does not approach, he is just suddenly there. Even as Riku groans inwardly with dismay a part of him wonders how the Chief does that. The startled Okubo breaks off his harangue. He turns to face Shun and comes to attention. Riku braces himself and prepares for real trouble.

“Hello, Chief,” says Okubo. “I was just disciplining this idiot Ariga here for…” He gets no farther than that when Shun’s right fist lashes out, delivering a short, powerful punch almost too fast to see to Okubo’s jaw. Riku is shocked, but he is surely not as surprised as Okubo. Okubo bounces off the bulkhead beside Riku and is saved from falling only because Shun neatly seizes him by the jacket on the rebound.

“I heard,” growls Shun. His face is almost expressionless. Riku knows better than most that this is a sign that the Chief is truly enraged. “Tell me, Okubo,” says Shun softly, “how do you suppose these men ended up on our deck?” His voice sounds like gravel falling into a bucket. Okubo’s eyes uncross. He works his mouth, but cannot answer immediately.

“I will tell you how,” says Shun. “They ended up in the water saving, among other things, your sorry ass.” He releases Okubo, who staggers back but manages to come to attention. A livid mark is already spreading on his jaw.

“They lost their friends, their shipmates, and their ships,” Shun continues. “In light of that I think you can do without a little food. Do you agree, Okubo?”

“Yes, Chief, I agree,” stammers Okubo. Shun smiles grimly.

“I thought you might,” he says. “You are dismissed.” Okubo leaves, still walking a little unsteadily. Shun turns to Riku, who has not dared to even breathe during this exchange.

“I think you have work to do, Ariga?” he growls.

“Yes, Chief Petty Officer,” says Riku promptly. He gathers up his rice bucket and starts to head back to the galley for more food. He only gets a few steps before Shun speaks once again.

“Ariga,” says Shun. Riku turns apprehensively. He had dared to hope he was out of this. Shun clears his throat. “You’re doing a good job,” he says reluctantly, indicating the rescued sailors nearby. “Keep at it.” Riku manages to nod.

“Yes, Chief Petty Officer,” he says. “I will.” He turns and leaves, and doesn’t really start breathing again until he is below decks.

< Message edited by Cuttlefish -- 8/9/2007 10:00:58 PM >

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1134
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/9/2007 10:15:33 PM   
kaleun

Wow!
Really, really good; I mean, really

Sun Tzu

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1135
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/9/2007 10:19:34 PM   
Admiral DadMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: kaleun

Wow!
Really, really good; I mean, really

To quote Shrek: "Really really?"

Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 1136
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/9/2007 10:31:34 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cuttlefish

“I will tell you how,” says Shun. “They ended up in the water saving, among other things, your sorry ass.” He releases Okubo, who staggers back but manages to come to attention. A livid mark is already spreading on his jaw.

CPO shun as the cavalry to Riku's rescue! Another excellently written scene -- although I have to wonder if "your sorry ass" is a Japanese expression.

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1137
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/9/2007 11:39:17 PM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock

[CPO shun as the cavalry to Riku's rescue! Another excellently written scene -- although I have to wonder if "your sorry ass" is a Japanese expression.

I wondered the same thing, to the extent that I took it out twice and ended up putting it back each time. It's not only very American, but modern colloquial American, something I usually try to avoid. But I just couldn't come up with anything else that conveyed the intent as well.

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 1138
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/10/2007 4:09:53 AM   
princep01

While I confess I am no expert on Japanese colloquial expressions, I feel quite certain that the Japanese Navy, especially the Petty Officer ranks, had just such an expression.

Well done, Cuttlefish.  That scene will play well on the silver screen and set the audiences (mostly young Americans) hooting with glee at the pure justice of it all.  No one, serving under any colors, likes a tin pot, jackass like Okubo.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1139
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/10/2007 7:56:09 AM   
FeurerKrieg

quote:

ORIGINAL: princep01

While I confess I am no expert on Japanese colloquial expressions, I feel quite certain that the Japanese Navy, especially the Petty Officer ranks, had just such an expression.

Well done, Cuttlefish.  That scene will play well on the silver screen and set the audiences (mostly young Americans) hooting with glee at the pure justice of it all.  No one, serving under any colors, likes a tin pot, jackass like Okubo.

I wanted to post earlier, but was at work and didn't know my forum password.

I had a discussion about this 'sorry ass' thing with a British co-worker who lived in Japan quite a while and taught English to Japanese students, so is quite well versed.

He explained to me that the closest term to 'sorry ass' would be 'Baka' which means 'idiot' in Japanese. It is interesting that entire notion of an 'insult' is nothing like Western society, largely because of the differences of Shinto versus Christian culture.

Consider how many insults in western society are anatomically or sexual oriented. C**ksucker, d**khead, a$$hole, etc etc. One reason for this is that those parts of anatomy or behavior were considered 'dirty' or 'profane' on early Christian culture, and thus became insults over time. However in Shinto there is no such concept of profane or dirty things. To call someone a 'stupid f*cker' in Japanese would be more about the activity and would not really be an insult at all. Something like - 'You person who has sex and has a hard time at school." What an insult, right?

The biggest insult they have means something like "How many problems do you have?" If you say that to someone you will get punched or kicked. The only other notion of anger is found in how they say things. When you hear Japanese men at a bar rolling their R's, that means they are pissed.

I found the whole discussion fascinating so thanks to Cuttlefish for teaching me something new, even if indirectly.

Also, for anyone interested in this topic of culture difference in slang and insults, check this book out at Amazon. It was heartily recommended by my co-worked.

http://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Street-Slang-Peter-Constantine/dp/0834802503/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-3923927-0133556?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1186720959&sr=8-1

< Message edited by Feurer Krieg -- 8/10/2007 7:57:20 AM >

Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks

(in reply to princep01)
Post #: 1140
Page:   <<   < prev  36 37 [38] 39 40   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Small Ship, Big War Page: <<   < prev  36 37 [38] 39 40   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI