Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Small Ship, Big War

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Small Ship, Big War Page: <<   < prev  57 58 [59] 60 61   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/15/2007 3:41:30 AM   
Cuttlefish

July 13, 1943

Course: Disbanded in port
Attached to: None
Mission: None
System Damage: 13
Float Damage: 0
Fires: 0
Fuel: 475

Orders: Proceed to Okayama for refit

---

It is difficult to form lasting relationships in wartime. The long absences and heartbreaking separations are hard on couples, and often the strain is too great. Those involved go their different ways, often never to see one another again.

One such scene plays out on the pier beside Hibiki.

“We had some good times,” says Lieutenant JG Kuwaki sadly.

“Remember them, lad,” says Sakati. “Don’t dwell on how things ended.” The Chief Engineer has never been married, but he knows what Kuwaki is going through.

Next to the two men Hibiki’s “X” turret sits disconsolately on the pier. Its guns have been removed and are crated nearby. Soon the guns and turret will be loaded onto a rail car and hauled away.

“What do you think will happen to it?” Kuwaki asks.

“Hard to say,” says Sakati. “They are building quite a few new destroyers, perhaps one of them will get the turret. Or maybe it will be used in some shore installation.”

“It belongs on a warship,” says Kuwaki loyally. “Remember that action off Wake? This turret put three shells into a seaplane tender. It would be wasted on shore.”

“Of course,” says Sakati. “Come on, let’s go get a drink. I think you could use one.”

“At least one,” says Kuwaki. He takes one last look at the turret and then turns and walks up the pier with Sakati. He doesn’t look back.

---

Riku has changed a great deal over the past year. He no longer thinks of people in one of two ways, as authorities to be gotten around or sheep to be fleeced. Still, the only two people he completely trusts are Shiro and Taiki.

He hears the stories about Nanami’s visit and it never occurs to him to be jealous. He is, however, eaten with envy. Taiki got to greet her and speak with her and he got to hide in the chain locker. He knows that this preserved his oath, but he still broods about it for hours.

Both men are finally off duty that evening. Taiki finds Riku and the two men leave the ship together without speaking. They walk down the pier to a nearby restaurant. There, seated on the floor across the low table from one another, they finally talk.

“Tell me everything, Taiki, please,” Riku finally says. His voice is pleading. Taiki knows Riku cannot say her name or talk about her too directly, so he sets out to answer every question he thinks his friend might have. He describes how she looked, what she was wearing, what she said.

“She was looking for you,” Taiki says. “She even asked about you. About you and Shiro both, really, but it was you she wanted to know about.”

“How do you know that?” asks Riku. He wants to believe it, but he has to know it is true.

“I know,” says Taiki. “I have not told you before, but I think it is time. I had a letter from her. It was mostly about you.”

“You didn’t tell me?” Riku bursts out. Taiki frowns.

“If you think being a go-between like this is easy, it is not!” he says. Riku looks down. Taiki sighs. “Look,” he continues, “I am sorry. I am trying to balance what is best for you and for her and still be straight with Shun. It is like walking a rope over a pit full of bears.”

“No, I apologize to you,” Riku says, still looking down. He takes a drink of sake and draws little circles with his finger on the table top. “This is not even your business, and you have done things for me my own brothers would not do.” He smiles wryly and looks up. “If I ever do have those three sons the first will be named after you.” Taiki makes a scoffing noise, but he is pleased.

“They are going to be around for another week,” he says. “It is not going to be an easy time for you.” Riku sighs.

“I know,” he says. “It eats at my guts that she is so close and I cannot see her.” He pauses. “Most of the crew has the two of you as good as married,” he says, trying to sound offhand. Taiki shakes his head violently.

“Not under any circumstances,” he says. “I can see why you feel about her as you do, but…no. She is not the one for me. I suspect, in fact, that we will spend a lot of time together talking about you.” He smiles. “That is going to become rather boring.” Riku laughs.

“Feel free to tell her over and over again what a fine fellow I am,” he says.

“I will,” Taiki says. Riku lifts his cup.

“To romance,” he says. Taiki lifts his cup in turn.

“It is less painful than being eaten by sharks,” he says.

“But only a little,” says Riku, and the two men drink.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1741
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/15/2007 3:56:54 AM   
Onime No Kyo

Hahaha.....I didnt know "Small ship...." was a heartbreaking love story about a boy and his gun turret.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1742
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/15/2007 5:56:08 AM   
histgamer

" “To romance,” he says. Taiki lifts his cup in turn.

“It is less painful than being eaten by sharks,” he says.

“But only a little,” says Riku, and the two men drink."

I LOVE THIS ****!!!

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 1743
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/15/2007 7:51:20 PM   
tocaff

Damned impressive work.

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to histgamer)
Post #: 1744
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/16/2007 3:03:02 AM   
Cuttlefish

July 14, 1943

System Damage: 12

---

Sailors Oizuma and Yoshitake trudge down the pier away from Hibiki. They have spent the morning helping get new parts for the construction aboard ship and both men are hungry. It is pleasant to have the option to leave the ship for a short while, and both men are taking advantage of it.

Once they reach the street they look around. Oizuma quickly sees what they are looking for. A wooden cart is perched by the sidewalk down near the next berth, where destroyer Akebono is undergoing some work. A few men are clustered around the cart, though by the time Oizuma and Yoshitake get there they have all dispersed.

A pleasant smell of food comes from the cart. Standing next to it is a woman, not young. The cart has several covered compartments, and on one of them the lid is up. The woman is rummaging inside it, and the men can hear the scrape of a wooden spoon against crockery. As the two walk up she straightens and smiles at them.

“Hello, gentlemen,” she says. “May I help you?”

“Lunch?” says Yoshitake, indicating several empty pottery crocks sitting on the cart. The woman smiles.

“Of course,” she says. She reaches inside her cart and pulls out two full crocks, still nice and warm. These are bento lunches, packed with rice, vegetables, and some chicken. She hands one to each man. As they pay her she points to Hibiki, clearly visible beyond an intervening warehouse.

“You are from Hibiki?” she asks.

“Yes,” says Oizuma. Yoshitake begins to forage hungrily in his lunch with the provided chopsticks.

“My youngest son served aboard Umikaze,” the woman says. Yoshitake looks up.

“Hey, we rescued some people from Umikaze once,” he says. The woman nods.

“I had a letter about that from my son’s friend,” she says. “He mentioned your ship.”

“They were with Admiral Goto at Timor,” says Oizuma. “They really saved us that day. Their actions were very brave.” The woman beams with pride. Still, there are shadows around her eyes.

“Your son, is he alive, Mrs.…?” he asks.

“Yoshino,” says the woman. “No, he gave his life that day.”

“It is an honor for you,” says Oizuma. It is the proper thing to say. Mothers, sisters, wives, and daughters are not supposed to feel grief for the men they lose. Rather they are supposed to be pleased that those they loved gave their lives for such a noble cause.

“Yes,” says Mrs. Yoshino. “An honor indeed.” Her face is quiet. Oizuma suddenly pictures somebody having this conversation with his mother. He knows that she would present the same face to others that this woman is, but he also knows what inner pain that face would mask.

Oizuma eats his lunch. It is very good. He wishes he could say something to comfort this woman, so much like his own mother, but it cannot be done. Beside him Yoshitake, though not always the most thoughtful of men, also eats in silence.

The men finish eating and set the empty crocks back on the cart. They thank Mrs. Yoshino and compliment her on the quality of her bento, then head back to the ship. They walk in silence for a ways, surrounded by the hurry and bustle of the Okayama waterfront.

“I think I’ll buy something nice for my mother to give her when I go on leave,” says Oizuma at last. Yoshitake nods.

“I was thinking the same thing,” he says.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1745
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/16/2007 6:54:37 PM   
mdiehl

This tale could make a good comic-book or graphic novel serial. But was I to go that route, I'd want a Japanese co-author to be involved to make sure that the cultural themes aren't colloquially American. This is not a criticism of the work, only a consideration for Cuttlefish's plans for remarketing the tale (if he has any such plans).

Keep up the good work!

Show me a fellow who rejects statistical analysis a priori and I'll show you a fellow who has no knowledge of statistics.

Didn't we have this conversation already?

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1746
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/17/2007 3:32:12 AM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: mdiehl

This tale could make a good comic-book or graphic novel serial. But was I to go that route, I'd want a Japanese co-author to be involved to make sure that the cultural themes aren't colloquially American. This is not a criticism of the work, only a consideration for Cuttlefish's plans for remarketing the tale (if he has any such plans).

Keep up the good work!

That's an interesting idea for a format, and I think the idea of enlisting Japanese help is a good one. If I were ever to try and do more with this story I would probably do something like that. It would also probably require several months of research in Japan. That doesn’t sound like a bad gig, come to think of it.

(in reply to mdiehl)
Post #: 1747
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/17/2007 3:37:56 AM   
Cuttlefish

July 15, 1943

System Damage: 10

---

From an article on page 5 of the morning edition of the newspaper Mainici Shimbun:

Ministry for Foreign Affairs officials today announced that preparations for granting independence to Burma continue to move forward. Japanese occupation forces, which have been steadfast in aiding the Burmese to remove their British oppressors, have been withdrawn from northern Burma. This area is now under the control of the Burma Defense Army headed by local leader Aung San.

As part of this move elements of the Burma Area Army under the command of Masakazu Kawabe have relocated from Myitkyina to Mandalay. This includes the famed Imperial Guards Division and the 18th Division, among other units.

“We have shown by this move that we take seriously our commitment to our partners in the Co-Prosperity Sphere,” said one official…

---

“Oh no!” says Nanami. She laughs in delight, covering her mouth with one hand. “And did he believe the fortune teller?”

“Yes he did,” says Taiki. “Every word. He needed to believe it, you see.” The two of them are walking through the Koraku-en garden. They have paused by a bridge lined with irises and are looking down at the tranquil stream it spans.

“Ah, my poor sailor,” she says. “He has been through so much because of me.”

“It has been hard on him,” acknowledges Taiki. “But it has been good for him, too.” He glances up at the bright summer sun. “If we are to meet your father on time we should move along.” They are to meet her father at the Enyo-tei house near the center of the garden; Chief Shun will then take her to dinner. Nanami nods and the two of them head down the path in the proper direction.

“Is my father so difficult, then?” she asks. Taiki glances at her, but she is looking down as they walk.

“I respect your father a great deal,” says Taiki. “He demands much, but he is always fair. If you will forgive me for saying so, it is only where you are concerned that he makes me nervous.” Nanami says nothing for a moment. “If I have offended you I sincerely apologize,” he says. She shakes her head.

“No, I understand,” she says. “It would only make things worse if I were to speak to him, wouldn’t it?”

“Very likely,” says Taiki.

---

Lieutenant Umeda of the Tokeitai sits in his office in Tokyo reviewing a stack of reports. He has been at it for hours and is feeling weary. Though he has been back in Japan for several months he still tires more easily than he used to. But the reports have to be gone through. Though most informants give little information of real value each one has to be read and if necessary investigated.

Suddenly he sees a casual mention in one report that banishes all his fatigue. He sits bolt upright in his chair, staring at the paper. Hibiki is back in Japan! The destroyer is docked in Okayama for refit.

Hibiki, the cause of all his troubles. The ship that is the reason he is sitting at a desk reviewing meaningless reports, his health broken, instead of receiving the promotion he deserves. The ship and her fiendish captain, Ishii, along with his tame ape of a petty officer.

Umeda leans back, deep in thought. He might just have to pay a visit to Okayama.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1748
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/17/2007 6:07:16 AM   
princep01

This time, Umeda will be ready for both Ishii and the "tamed ape", Shun.  However, Umeda has yet to reckon with the fact that both will be oceans and oceans and islands and islands ahead of his best planning regarding their demise.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1749
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/18/2007 4:01:38 AM   
Capt. Harlock

Cuttlefish, you have outdone yourself with this three-way update. I'm assuming that the relocation of Japanese forces to Mandalay was done with the loud encouragement of British and Indian troops?

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1750
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/19/2007 12:36:21 AM   
Cuttlefish

July 16, 1943

System Damage: 10

---

Lieutenant Umeda works all day to clear his regular paperwork. When evening comes he does not go home. Instead he fortifies himself with a quick dinner and begins a long night of going through the Tokeitai’s files, at least all those for which he has clearance.

He is seeking a pretext to go to Okayama. His superiors, unfortunately, are perhaps canny enough to be aware of his grudge against Hibiki. He needs a reason, something plausible enough to allow him to make the trip without arousing suspicion.

His first and most obvious thought is the investigation that got him into trouble in the first place. But the trail of Morito Miharu has gone cold. He has not been seen in months, and may not even be alive. It is thought he was wounded when the ring of conspirators plotting to release Sorge was arrested, and since then he has disappeared.

He next searches the files for something on Lieutenant Commander Ishii. Unfortunately Hibiki’s captain has an excellent war record. He is far too outspoken, but the man must have friends. Certainly his bluntness has not drawn upon him the censure it should. Umeda considers criticism of the Imperial Navy to be little short of treason.

He looks through the files of the other officers, but there is nothing there. The chief engineer is a notorious drinker, but this doesn’t seem to affect his performance. There is nothing significant on the gunnery and torpedo officers. He does not bother to look at the files on junior or noncommissioned officers; they are not worthy of his attention.

The night grows late. Umeda is tired and discouraged. His eyes ache. Just before he is about to give up, though, he finds a single line in a file that seems to have nothing to do with Hibiki. This sends him scurrying to another file, and as he reads this one his eyes light up. His fatigue is forgotten. He locks up the office and leaves, heading home with a determined step. He must get what sleep he can. There is much more digging to do but this looks promising, most promising.

The file remains sitting on his desk. Lying there in the dark it does not much resemble a ticking bomb. But between its bland bureaucratic covers are rumors and stories, unsubstantiated as yet, about the commander of one of the Imperial Navy’s submarines. His name is Ito.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1751
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/19/2007 12:46:07 AM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock

Cuttlefish, you have outdone yourself with this three-way update. I'm assuming that the relocation of Japanese forces to Mandalay was done with the loud encouragement of British and Indian troops?

Let's just say that the newspaper left out a few important details. The Japanese Board of Tourism is now recommending Myitkyina only for those travelers with an excellent command of English.

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 1752
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/19/2007 3:53:26 AM   
FeurerKrieg

quote:

The file remains sitting on his desk. Lying there in the dark it does not much resemble a ticking bomb. But between its bland bureaucratic covers are rumors and stories, unsubstantiated as yet, about the commander of one of the Imperial Navy’s submarines. His name is Ito.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1753
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/19/2007 4:34:53 AM   
kaleun

OMG. I must have missed Ito! Who is he?
I did not find him in the dramatis personae.

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to FeurerKrieg)
Post #: 1754
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/19/2007 4:59:19 AM   
AU Tiger_MatrixForum

In a former life I believe he was a judge.

"Never take counsel of your fears."

Tho. Jackson

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 1755
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/19/2007 5:17:20 AM   
Cuttlefish

Ito last appeared in the narrative back on page 16, I think. He was Riku's primary contact back in his smuggling days.

He is also not my creation. Captain Ito appears extensively in Cap Mandrake's two great AAR's, "Fear and Loathing in the Pacific" and the current "From here to...well...it SEEMS like an eternity." It is accurate but not nearly complete to say he is a smuggler who works both sides of the war.

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 1756
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/19/2007 5:31:22 AM   
kaleun

OK. M&M enterprises. I remember now

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1757
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/20/2007 2:05:31 AM   
Onime No Kyo

You know, if Shun ever finds out about that karma wont be the only thing that bites Riku in the butt.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 1758
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/20/2007 2:29:58 AM   
Terminus

You think he'll stop at biting?

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 1759
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/20/2007 2:58:39 AM   
Cuttlefish

July 17, 1943

System Damage: 9

---

Taiki trudges through the streets of Okayama, heading back to the docks. He could take a taxi, but he is returning from another outing with Nanami and feels the need to take some time and clear his head. He finds these outings somewhat stressful.

To be sure, it is a pleasure to be in the company of an intelligent and lovely young woman. He likes Nanami a great deal. They tend, however, to spend a great deal of time discussing Riku. Taiki can’t help thinking that it would be pleasant to be with a young woman who was more interested in discussing him. Not only that, he knows that Riku can’t help feeling envious of these outings. It is in some ways a rather frustrating situation.

Besides, it feels good to walk after months at sea. He enjoys the sights, sounds, and smells of a Japanese city in the late afternoon sunshine, and as he walks he slowly begins to relax.

Ahead he sees a sight that is so familiar that he is suddenly struck by a violent pang of homesickness. Parked in front of a restaurant is a battered old plasterer’s truck. His father owns just such a truck. The back is open, and inside Taiki can see the tools of the plasterer’s trade. There are buckets, trowels, bundles of lathe, and other familiar objects. He finds himself peering into the back of little vehicle just to breathe in the familiar smells.

As he stands there he becomes aware of an argument taking place just inside the entrance to the restaurant. He cannot see who is talking, but the doors are open. The restaurant is obviously new and is not yet open for business. It smells of new wood and fresh plaster, and there is no sign on the outside.

“But this is only two thirds of the agreed upon price!” someone is saying. It is a pleasant voice, a female voice, though at the moment it is edged with some anger.

“The work is substandard,” says a male voice calmly. “You are fortunate that I am paying you at all.”

“Substandard?” returns the first voice, louder now. “I hope you are a better judge of food than of plastering! There is nothing wrong with my work.” Taiki is curious. He knows a great deal about plastering, having studied with his father for many years. But he has never met or even heard of a woman doing the work.

He crosses the sidewalk and pokes his head inside. Standing to one side of the foyer are two people. One is obviously the proprietor. He has a large belly and a bristling mustache. The other is a woman wearing a plasterer’s smock and apron. She is slender and a little taller than average. Her hair is swept back in a practical braid. She is leaning slightly forward and her dark eyes are angry.

A few years ago a woman dressed in such a fashion would have been an unusual sight indeed. But as the war has gone on more and more women are working jobs that were traditionally reserved for men.

The proprietor notices him. He immediately uncrosses his arms and becomes more polite.

“Many apologies, sir, I am not yet open for business,” he says.

“Ah, sorry to have disturbed you then,” says Taiki. He remains where he is, though, looking around at the freshly plastered room. The proprietor waits a moment for him to go away. When Taiki shows no signs of doing so he clears his throat.

“Was there anything else?” he asks. Taiki steps into the room and examines the wall inside the door.

“No, no,” he says. “I do apologize for intruding, but I could not help hearing some of your conversation.” He runs a hand over the wall, then follows the wall to the corner. The proprietor waits impatiently, but Taiki refuses to be rushed. In truth he is a little startled at his own actions. Until this moment he had not realized how much he has changed in his time aboard Hibiki. There was a time when he would not have dared to bother such a man, and yet here he is strolling about as if he has a perfect right to take charge of the situation.

“This work is excellent!” he says at length. He turns to the woman. “Did you do this?” The woman nods, obviously pleased. Taiki addresses the proprietor.

“Forgive me once again for the intrusion,” he says, “but I know something of the art involved. This is very well done. Are the other rooms done in similar quality?”

“Yes!” says the woman. The man hesitates.

“Yes,” he mumbles after a moment.

“Then I see no reason you should not pay the price agreed,” says Taiki. He fixes the proprietor with a hard gaze. “Do you?”

The proprietor shifts uncomfortably. Bullying a woman is much different than trying to bluff this tall, stern Navy man.

“No sir,” he says at last. Taiki remains stern, though inside he is a little amused. He suspects that the man has no knowledge of rank insignia and has taken him for an officer.

The proprietor reluctantly pulls out a roll of yen. He counts some out and gives it to the woman. She thanks him stiffly and leaves without further word. Taiki turns and follows her out. She is closing up her truck, her movements still angry.

“Thank you,” she says when Taiki approaches. It occurs to Taiki that despite her laborer’s clothing this is a very pretty woman. And her lack of deference is intriguing.

“I stopped by chance when I saw your truck,” he says. “My father has one like it. He is a plasterer too. It made me nostalgic.”

“This was my husband’s,” says the woman. “He loved the craft and taught it to me.” Taiki does not miss the use of the past tense.

“What happened to him?” he asks.

“He died on Wake Island,” she says. She climbs into the truck. Taiki discovers that he does not want her to leave yet. He casts about for something to say.

“My name is Taiki Takahashi,” he says.

“I am Sayumi Komatsu,” she says. “Thank you again.” And with that she closes the door. The vehicle starts with a rattle and a wheeze and then drives away.

As he walks back to the ship Taiki thinks of at least twenty interesting and clever things he could have said to her. But of course none of them do him any good now.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1760
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/20/2007 3:00:17 AM   
Cuttlefish

July 18, 1943

System Damage: 8

---

The next day it is Riku’s turn to have an unplanned encounter. His is considerably more ominous.

He is behind a stack of crates on the pier near the ship, writing down the shipping numbers. These will be matched to an inventory list aboard ship to make sure that all the equipment Hibiki needs has been sent. As he works he sees movement out of the corner of his eye.

He turns and sees a pale Tokeitai lieutenant standing nearby watching him. Riku turns and comes to prompt attention with a salute. The officer steps forward with an oily smile.

“Leading Seaman Riku Ariga?” he asks. Riku’s expression does not change, but he is worried. Nothing about this can be good.

“Yes sir,” he says.

“Ah, good,” says the lieutenant. “I am Lieutenant Umeda. I wish to talk to you.” There is a pause. Riku does not move or speak, which seems to disappoint the other man. “Do you know what I wish to talk to you about?” he asks after a moment.

“No sir,” says Riku. “I do not, sir.”

“Tell me, Ariga, does the name Captain Ito mean anything to you?” says Umeda. Riku feels a jolt of fear. All of a sudden he is right on the edge of an abyss, and it is a very deep one. But he keeps his fear under control and manages to reply in a level voice.

“No, sir, it doesn’t,” he says. Umeda smiles a little.

“I don’t believe that,” he says. “I think that you and he have done business before. Haven’t you?” A threatening pause follows. Riku’s brain works furiously. All of a sudden he is convinced this man is fishing. If he really knew something he would not be here talking. He would instead have already had Riku arrested. He must want something. But what?

Riku is also aware, though, that he cannot take any chances. The stakes are too high here, higher than this lieutenant can know. He avoids answering directly.

“I deal with a great many people in the course of my duties, sir,” he says. “I do not remember all of their names.”

“Don’t play the fool with me!” snaps Umeda. “You will cooperate or suffer the consequences!” Riku has seen better tough guy acts, but he allows a little of his fear to show. He has got to make this guy show more of his cards.

“Sir, I am willing to cooperate,” he says nervously. “What do you want of me?” Umeda’s eyes narrow.

“I want to send you to prison for a very long time,” he says. “But you are a small fish. You cannot be the brains behind such a large smuggling operation. If you were to help me bring down those who gave the orders you might even find yourself rewarded.”

“Those who gave the orders, sir?” he repeats helplessly.

“Yes, idiot!” snarls Umeda. “I know it was Ishii. Which means his hatchet man Shun was probably involved, too.” Oh gods, thinks Riku. I forged Ishii’s name on a great many documents. Have I brought about the Captain’s ruin? He forces himself back to calm, then fixes on the other part of Umeda’s statement.

“You want Shun?” he asks. Umeda leans forward, intent.

“Yes,” he hisses. Riku feel a grin spread across his face. This could answer a lot of problems.

“Well, why didn’t you say so, sir?” he says. “If you want Shun I can deliver him. I most certainly can do that.”

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1761
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/20/2007 10:00:43 AM   
String

Something tells me that Shun won't be delivered in such a way Umeda quite expects..

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1762
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/20/2007 1:50:26 PM   
alaviner

I think Umeda might be taking another long walk off a short pier but with something rather heavy tied to his feet this time.
Great work CF

(in reply to String)
Post #: 1763
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/20/2007 6:35:04 PM   
mdiehl

quote:

As he walks back to the ship Taiki thinks of at least twenty interesting and clever things he could have said to her. But of course none of them do him any good now.

Mama said there'd be days like this. She just didn't say it would happen so often!

I don't know how the Japanese would creatively handle Umeda. In the US, was it possible, either a friend of a friend would "mistake" Umeda for a sailor of the same name and assign him to Hibiki's forward paint locker, or else he'd simply be press-ganged by an Admiral who doesn't like it when people mess with his ships' crews. Either way, Umeda's paychecks would be routed to an address in Burma, probably an undeliverable one that is now occupied by British troops.

Show me a fellow who rejects statistical analysis a priori and I'll show you a fellow who has no knowledge of statistics.

(in reply to alaviner)
Post #: 1764
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/20/2007 11:18:36 PM   
histgamer

(in reply to mdiehl)
Post #: 1765
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/21/2007 5:55:40 AM   
Cuttlefish

July 19, 1943

System Damage: 8

---

Work on Hibiki progresses slowly but steadily. Where the “X” turret once sat a two-level platform is taking shape, though there are no guns mounted on it as yet. The engines and boilers are in excellent shape, all things considered, but Chief Engineer Sakati is taking advantage of the time to have them overhauled as well. Some of the ship’s electronics are replaced, and the main funnel is patched and repainted.

At this point about half of the crew is on leave. Those who have not yet gone count the days and wait impatiently for their turn. The ship is still crowded during the day, though. Shore-bound repair crews work the ship quickly and expertly; by this stage of the war they have seen and helped repair almost every kind of malfunction and battle damage.

Lieutenant Miharu is kept busy with personnel changes. Some twenty-seven of the crew are being assigned to other ships or other duties. These are being replaced largely by enlisted men and officers fresh out of training. It will take time to work the new men into the crew, the lieutenant knows. But such changes are inevitable.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1766
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/21/2007 6:00:02 AM   
Cuttlefish

July 20, 1943

System Damage: 7

---

“Welcome back, Captain,” says Lieutenant Miharu “You look well, sir.” And indeed Hibiki’s captain looks more relaxed and much less tired than he did ten days ago.

“Thank you, Exec,” Ishii says cheerfully. “It looks as though the ship is coming along. Any problems?” The lieutenant assures him that all is well. They adjourn to the captain’s cabin and spend some time going over the progress of the repairs and the new personnel changes. Finally Captain Ishii waves a hand at his executive officer.

“All right, that’s good enough,” he says. “I can figure out the rest. Go pack your bag.” Lieutenant Miharu grins.

“Already packed, sir,” he says.

“Then why are you still here?” says Captain Ishii. “Give your wife my greetings.”

“I will sir, thank you.” Lieutenant Miharu starts to leave, then stops and turns back. “Oh, sir, one more thing. Seaman Ariga insists on speaking with you as soon as possible. He won’t say why, sir.”

“Ariga, eh? Shun’s daughter is here, isn’t she? Has there been trouble?”

“No sir, not that I know of. At least nobody has tried to kill anybody else this time around.” Captain Ishii grunts.

“Well, send him up, then. I don’t think he’d bother me if it wasn’t important,” he says.

“Yes sir,” replies Miharu, and leaves.

---

It is several hours later, near sundown. Three men walk down a narrow street near the docks. The man in the lead stops in front of the side door of a long, narrow warehouse. He fumbles with some keys in the dim light, then unlocks the door. He pushes it open and enters. The other two men follow.

Once inside Riku flips on a switch. A single light comes on overhead, illuminating a patch of bare concrete floor. Stacked in the middle of this space are a number of square wooden crates. In the shadows to either side tall stacks of other boxes and crates can be glimpsed.

“If this is not worthy of the Captain’s time I will crack your head open,” growls Shun.

“Now, Chief,” Captain Ishii says. “I am sure Seaman Ariga would not drag us out here if it was not very important.” He fixes Riku with a piercing gaze. “Would you, Ariga?”

“No, sir,” says Riku. “I mean yes, sir, it is important.” He advances towards the crates. “This is the problem shipment, sir.” Captain Ishii advances. The crates are stamped, in English characters, “M&M Enterprises”. Ishii looks puzzled.

“What is this?” he says. “What’s the problem?” Suddenly a voice speaks from the darkness off to his left.

“What is the matter, Lieutenant Commander Ishii?” it says. “Have you lost your taste for salted sea urchin eggs?’ Lieutenant Umeda emerges into the light, pistol drawn. Captain Ishii narrows his eyes.

“I know you,” he says. “You’re that idiot who tried to detain my executive officer as we were leaving on a combat mission.” Lieutenant Umeda grins nastily.

“I am so glad you remember me,” he says. “I had a lot of time to remember you while I was lying in that hospital bed in Rangoon.”

“Sea urchin eggs? Rangoon?” says Ishii. “What are you babbling about?”

“What I am talking about is that you and Chief Petty Officer Shun are under arrest for smuggling,” says Umeda. “You have been dealing with the enemy, Captain. That is not only illegal, it is reprehensible. Making money while others serve and die for the Emperor, you make me sick.”

“What is this?” Ishii demands of Riku. Riku looks apologetic.

“Sorry, sir, he knows everything,” he says.

“Knows everything? Everything what?” demands Ishii. Shun growls and steps towards Riku, but Umeda raises his pistol.

“Stop right there,” he says. “I don’t want you harming my chief witness.” Shun stops, and Umeda glances at his watch. “We will wait a few moments,” he says. “I called as soon as I saw you approaching. More Tokeitai will be here shortly.”

No one speaks. Captain Ishii stands there looking outraged. Shun stands helplessly, dividing murderous looks between Riku and Umeda.

Soon the tromp of feet is heard from the open door. In walks a Tokeitai officer and six men, all armed with rifles.

“I am Captain Shimura,” the officer announces. “What is going on here?”

“Hello, Captain,” says Umeda. “I placed the call, I am Lieutenant Umeda. This is Lieutenant Commander Ishii, captain of destroyer Hibiki. This is Chief Petty Officer Shun of the same vessel.” He indicates Riku. “This is Seaman Ariga. They are the chief conspirators in a smuggling ring that has spanned much of the Central Pacific. They have been dealing with the enemy, sir. The proof is before you.” Captain Shimura raises an eyebrow.

“Indeed?” he says. He indicates the crates. “These, I assume?” Umeda nods. Captain Shimura points to one of his men. “Open that crate there,” he says. The enlisted man nod. He leans his rifle against a wall and grabs a crowbar. The lid is quickly pried off the crate. Captain Shimura leans over and looks in.

“What’s this?” he says. “Thirty-seven millimeter ammunition?” Captain Ishii raises an eyebrow.

“I see what you mean,” he says to Riku. “That is a problem. We need don’t have any guns of that caliber aboard ship.”

“What!” screams Lieutenant Umeda. He points angrily at Riku. “Where are my eggs?”

“Eggs, sir?” says Riku. “Are you feeling well, sir?” Umeda turns purple. He turns to Captain Shimura. “Sir, this man has documents and contraband that reveal the entire plot!” The enlisted man has opened all the crates, with the same result. Paperwork from First Fleet headquarters consigning the ammunition to Hibiki is found and examined.

“What about these charges?” Captain Shimura asks Riku.

“Sir, I am very sorry. I have no idea what this man is talking about,” Riku says. Captain Shimura turns to Ishii.

“Sir, this is one of my most reliable men,” says Ishii. “Lieutenant Umeda seems to bear me a grudge. I believe it has warped his judgment. He has been ill, it seems. Perhaps his return to duty was premature.” Lieutenant Umeda’s face contorts with rage.

“You…you…” he says to Ishii, then fury overcomes him completely. He raises his pistol and levels it at Ishii’s chest.

Riku doesn’t think, he just hurls himself in front the captain. Shun has not taken his eyes from Umeda through the entire exchange, and he lunges at the Tokeitai officer. He manages to knock the gun out of line just as Umeda fires. The bullet zips just past Riku and Ishii and buries itself in the wall behind them. The sound of the gunshot echoes in the cavernous space, then there is a dry snap as Shun breaks Umeda’s wrist. The gun clatters to the floor.

Shun scoops up the weapon and whirls to make sure his captain is all right. When he sees Riku standing in front of the captain he raises an eyebrow. From behind Riku Captain Ishii reaches out and touches the sailor’s shoulder.

“That’s fine, son,” says Ishii. “Thank you. You can stand down now.” Riku lowers his arms and steps to one side, feeling slightly foolish.

“Seize him,” Shimura barks, pointing at Umeda. Two of his men do so. Umeda stands held between them, cradling his wrist. Shimura turns to Captain Ishii.

“Sir, I apologize for this,” he says. “You are unhurt, I hope?”

“Yes, thank you sir,” says Ishii. He indicates Lieutenant Umeda. “Go easy on him, sir. I don’t believe he is entirely well.” Captain Shimura looks grim.

“Laying false charges and attempted murder,” he says. “Umeda has much to answer for. You and your men can go, Captain.” He pauses. “There will of course have to be an investigation.”

“Of course, sir,” says Ishii. “You will find that Hibiki has nothing to hide.” He turns to Riku and Shun.

“Come along, gentlemen,” he says. “I think we are done here.”

---

“Well, that went well, I thought,” says Captain Ishii later, back aboard Hibiki. “Nicely done, Seaman Ariga, thank you.”

“Sir,” says Riku anxiously, “when I suggested this plan I had no idea he would try to kill you.” Captain Ishii waves away his protest.

“You could not have foreseen that,” says Ishii. “Umeda might have saved his career despite it all, if it weren’t for that. It was clearly an irrational act. There was no way to predict it.” Riku looks only slightly reassured. Captain Ishii stretches.

“It’s good to be back from leave,” he says wryly. “But I think that is enough excitement for one evening. Good night, gentlemen.” Riku salutes and departs. Shun lingers for a moment.

“Something on your mind, Chief?” Ishii asks him. Shun stirs.

“What he did tonight, to protect you,” says Shun. “That was well done.”

“I agree,” says Ishii. “You might have said that to him, though, Chief.” Shun shifts uncomfortably.

“Maybe,” he says reluctantly.

“You did well too, Chief,” says Ishii.

“Thank you, sir,” says Shun. He thinks for a moment. “I should have tied an anchor to that guy back when I threw him overboard,” he says thoughtfully. “It would have saved a lot of trouble.”

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1767
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/21/2007 6:36:15 PM   
Lecivius

What more can we say? 

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1768
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/21/2007 6:37:05 PM   
mdiehl

Heh! Well done!! Looks like Umeda's palm tree has just been tossed over the side!

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1769
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/21/2007 10:30:02 PM   
Capt. Harlock

Beautifully done! Umeda should have quit while he was ahead. (Well, less behind than he is now.)

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1770
Page:   <<   < prev  57 58 [59] 60 61   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Small Ship, Big War Page: <<   < prev  57 58 [59] 60 61   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI