Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Small Ship, Big War

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Small Ship, Big War Page: <<   < prev  75 76 [77] 78 79   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/29/2008 1:32:06 AM   
princep01

quote:

ORIGINAL: flanyboy

Hmm what does it make me if I love Lee and Longstreet... (not jackson so much) and Love Winfield Scott Hancock (and his 2nd corps) as well as the Iron Brigade (im a wisconsin boy).

What should i call the war then?

You may call it what you wish. However, I think Sherman had it pegged well when he said, "War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it". From a personal perspective, it is a tragedy, pure and simple. There is no glory in it.

(in reply to histgamer)
Post #: 2281
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/29/2008 4:00:07 AM   
AU Tiger_MatrixForum

quote:

ORIGINAL: flanyboy

Hmm what does it make me if I love Lee and Longstreet... (not jackson so much) and Love Winfield Scott Hancock (and his 2nd corps) as well as the Iron Brigade (im a wisconsin boy).

What should i call the war then?

That isn't so strange. As a Southern boy with heritage going back to the French and Indian War (Seven Years War for you fellows across the pond) I still love to read about the Iron Brigade. Those "Black Hatted Fellers" from Wisconsin (and later some from Indiana) had an impressive war record, easily matching the record of the Stonewall Brigade. Unfortunately, all those brave boys in both brigades were used up in the war - Gettysburg for the Iron Brigade and the Battle of the Muleshoe for the Stonewall Brigade)

I too enjoy Lee, Longstreet, Hancock, and others. Reading about Jackson is a little like watching a car wreck. He is too fascinating a character to leave alone.

Cuttlefish,
This is all your fault. With so little to add after your cliffhanger we have to find something to make coming here everyday worthwhile.

BTW, Nathan Bedford Forrest is buried in Elmwood Cemetery - about 300 yards from my office, and my boss is directly descended from one of his Lt. Colonels.

"Never take counsel of your fears."

Tho. Jackson

(in reply to histgamer)
Post #: 2282
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/29/2008 5:20:20 AM   
Mynok

There was an Indiana regiment in the Iron Brigade at Gettysburg.

(in reply to AU Tiger_MatrixForum)
Post #: 2283
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/29/2008 5:37:54 AM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: AU Tiger

Cuttlefish,
This is all your fault. With so little to add after your cliffhanger we have to find something to make coming here everyday worthwhile.

I'm moving things along as fast as I can! It's been a busy week for me, but we'll get there soon, I promise.

By the way, I can answer the question about what kind of fighters the British carriers have, since Japanese pilots encountered them over Noumea. They are all carrying Corsair IV's.

Post #: 2284
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/29/2008 5:38:06 AM   
Cuttlefish

November 11, 1943

Course: South
Attached to: TF 4
Mission: Air Combat
System Damage: 1
Float Damage: 0
Fires: 0
Fuel: 405

Orders: Engage enemy forces attacking the New Hebrides

---

“I can never catch him at it,” grumbles Lieutenant Kuwaki to Lieutenant Miharu. “I can smell it sometimes, but he’s always careful to never be quite drunk enough that I can prove anything. But it does affect his duties. Worse, I fear it makes me appear foolish, that a man in my section can keep getting away with it as he does.”

Lieutenant Miharu smiles. “Seaman Moshizuki is not very bright, but he is one of the those fellows with a certain kind of genius when it comes to one particular thing. In his case, that thing is drinking.”

“What I don’t understand,” says Kuwaki, “is how he gets the stuff. He hasn’t been granted leave since being arrested back in Okayama last summer. But he must have a large supply somewhere.”

“As I said,” says the ship’s executive officer, “he is good at what he does. Well, Lieutenant, I agree that this could turn into a discipline problem. If you and Petty Officer Aikawa are baffled, though, I think we have to bring in expert help to solve this mystery.”

“I had hoped to avoid involving the Captain in this,” says Kuwaki.

“Not the Captain,” agrees Miharu. “There is a saying in the West, ‘set a thief to catch a thief’. I think there is a man aboard who can help us.”

---

Seaman Moshizuki’s duty station is one of the aft 25mm AA mounts. Later that afternoon, while the gun crews are holding drills, Lieutenants Miharu and Kuwaki follow Chief Engineer Sakati on an inspection tour below decks.

“…and then there was a man aboard Haruna, back when I was an ensign, who kept his stash in a modified 14” shell,” Sakati is saying. “Is this where he bunks?” They have reached a small storage locker below the aft deckhouse and above the fuel tanks. Several hammocks and pallets are neatly bundled to one side.

“Yes sir,” says Kuwaki. Both he and Lieutenant Miharu watch as Sakati ducks into the room. The engineer stands there for a moment, his head moving from side to side, and then he suddenly pounces on a sea bag. He rummages in it for a second, then pulls out a bottle of sake.

“That’s not it,” he mutters, and replaces the bottle. He pokes around for another moment. “Not here,” he says finally. “Hm, follow me.” The other two officers follow him out and then down a companionway.

“How did you know that bottle was there?” Kuwaki asks as they go.

“I smelled it,” says Sakati. “Should have known better, though. Your man is drinking whiskey.”

They end up in the aft ammunition storage and handling room. Sakati looks around. “This is my bet,” he says. “His duties bring him here often, correct?” Kuwaki nods. Sakati walks around, carefully checking the deck plates. “Ah, here we are,” he says. He motions the other two over.

“Look at the nuts there,” he says. “They are shinier than the others.” He pulls a socket wrench out of a pocket and kneels. There are eight nuts to remove, and Sakati begins to do so.

“That’s a lot of work,” comments Kuwaki.

“Never underestimate the cunning of the drinking man, lad,” comments Sakati. “I have known men who were too lazy to turn over in bed tear down and rebuild a bulkhead just to make a good hiding spot for their liquor.” He finishes with the last nut and lifts the deck plate. He sets it down to one side with a metallic clang and then peers into the space revealed. “Ah,” he says.

The other two officers come over and peer down. Nestled between two pipes is a crate. It is surrounded by blankets to provide padding and ensure silence. Sakati reaches into the crate and brings out a bottle, one of nine full ones still inside. There are three empties as well.

“Rot gut,” says Sakati in disgust. The other two remove the crate and Sakati begins replacing the deck plate.

“Are you going to tell him?” Lieutenant Miharu asks Kuwaki. The gunnery officer smiles.

“No, let it be a surprise for him,” he says. “Thank you, Mr. Sakati. Would you like to keep a bottle or two for your services?”

“No thank you,” says Sakati. “As an officer and the leading drinking man aboard ship I have a standard to maintain. It would hurt my reputation to be seen with this stuff.”

“Then over the side it goes,” says Lieutenant Miharu.

“Maybe the enemy will find it,” says Kuwaki. “It could be our secret weapon.”

“If the Americans find it, maybe,” says Sakati. “The British wouldn’t touch it.”

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2285
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/29/2008 5:55:08 AM   
bradfordkay

It must be bourbon...

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2286
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/29/2008 6:05:53 AM   
Wirraway_Ace

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cuttlefish

By the way, I can answer the question about what kind of fighters the British carriers have, since Japanese pilots encountered them over Noumea. They are all carrying Corsair IV's.

An encouraging sign that the great battle may not have been so one-sided that the Allies have to sue for peace. Though the airgroups are so small...

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2287
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/29/2008 6:11:56 AM   
princep01

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

It must be bourbon...

Yes, probably that sourmash stuff they make in Tennessee....Jackass Daniels. No liqour on this planet will make a man into a full fledged jackass any faster than that noxious concoction.

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 2288
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/29/2008 6:13:46 AM   
AU Tiger_MatrixForum

I disagree.

'Tekillya' is by far the worst.

"Never take counsel of your fears."

Tho. Jackson

(in reply to princep01)
Post #: 2289
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/29/2008 6:22:31 AM   
bradfordkay

Well, it was already identified as "whiskey" so I was just trying to guess what version of whiskey a self respecting Brit would refuse to drink.

If you're looking for real "undrinkable" rotgut, my vote goes for Grappa!

fair winds,
Brad

Post #: 2290
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/29/2008 6:33:48 AM   
Wirraway_Ace

quote:

ORIGINAL: princep01

quote:

It must be bourbon...

Yes, probably that sourmash stuff they make in Tennessee....Jackass Daniels. No liqour on this planet will make a man into a full fledged jackass any faster than that noxious concoction.

I would say rather, that the man was always a full fleged jackass, the bourbon simply breaks down the facade faster than beer.

(in reply to princep01)
Post #: 2291
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/29/2008 10:22:28 AM   
goodboyladdie

AAAARRRRGGGHHHHH!!!!

CF you are killing me! How far ahead of the AAR is your game? You are so cruel to keep this build up going SO LONG!!!

Art by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to Wirraway_Ace)
Post #: 2292
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/29/2008 10:38:37 AM   
Reg

Hey Guys, give CF a break!!

A little less of the......

I'm trying to watch the story here..

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Reg -- 3/2/2008 2:32:25 AM >

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

(in reply to goodboyladdie)
Post #: 2293
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/29/2008 7:17:37 PM   
Admiral DadMan

quote:

Well, it was already identified as "whiskey" so I was just trying to guess what version of whiskey a self respecting Brit would refuse to drink.

If you're looking for real "undrinkable" rotgut, my vote goes for Grappa!

GRAPPA! OMG! I discovered that stuff in Italy last July... It was shortly thereafter I discovered a few other things... after the fact...

Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

Post #: 2294
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/29/2008 11:56:22 PM   
Cuttlefish

November 12, 1943

Fuel: 367

---

The Japanese task forces pass Nauru Island and are now south of the equator. By this time the four carrier groups and two surface groups are spread out over about 100 miles of ocean. They will rendezvous off the Reef Islands and there wait for the attack on Efate to develop.

There seems little doubt that there will be an attack. Enemy transports are reported to be loading at Noumea and during the previous night battleships again shelled Japanese positions on Efate. As yet there is no sign of the enemy’s carriers, but no one doubts that they will be there.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2295
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/29/2008 11:58:49 PM   
Cuttlefish

November 13, 1943

Fuel: 321

---

“Ah, good evening, Exec,” says Captain Ishii. The sea is calm and the sun has just slipped below a band of clouds low on the western horizon, touching the both ocean and the underside of the clouds with gold. Several hundred meters to starboard Shokaku is steaming serenely on a parallel course.

“Good evening, sir,” answers Lieutenant Miharu. “Everything quiet today?”

“Very quiet,” the captain says. “We have picked up reports that the enemy invasion fleet is approaching Efate, but there has been no sign of enemy activity this far north. Not even any submarines.”

“Hm,” says the lieutenant. “That seems odd to me, sir. The enemy has to know that we will try to intervene again and they will desperately want information on our movements. I would think that these waters would be packed with their submarines.”

“Maybe they are there and we have just been lucky,” says Ishii. “We have submarines out there, after all, and so far there is no sign of the enemy carriers. Yet they are somewhere around, I am sure.”

“True, sir,” admits the lieutenant. He comes to attention and salutes. “Sir, I relieve you.”

“I stand relieved,” Ishii says, returning the salute. He makes a brief note in the log and then heads for his cabin, where his dinner is already waiting. Lieutenant Miharu remains on the bridge as the sun slips below the horizon, covering ships and ocean alike in swiftly gathering darkness.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2296
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/1/2008 12:20:46 AM   
histgamer

Eh the real reason i don’t like Jackson that much is I think his flamboyant character tended to make him appear to be more brilliant than he was. He was one of the best generals of the war clearly but I would argue Longstreet was on par with him just with a different style. Longstreet would be revered like Jackson if he had been killed by his own troops during the Wilderness instead of just wounded. His post war politics killed the perception of him as a great general.

Oh and more to the point.

CF you are just simply 100% amazing.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2297
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/1/2008 12:26:33 AM   
tocaff

CF is painting the true picture of the boredom and long periods of nothing between the fast and furious battles. 

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to histgamer)
Post #: 2298
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/1/2008 1:43:08 AM   
Cuttlefish

November 14, 1943

Course: Holding position
Fuel: 290

---

The Reef Islands, part of the larger Santa Cruz island group, is a collection of sixteen coral islands. While nominally under the control of the Empire of Japan these islands have no Japanese presence whatsoever. In a war where every little islet seems to have some military significance they are unused and unwanted by either side.

The Santa Cruz Islands are an extension of the nearby Solomon Islands and they share most of the drawbacks found in the Solomons. The equatorial climate is vile. The islands are hotbeds of disease, and in fact a Japanese survey team that went ashore there in July 1942 was almost wiped out by a virulent strain of cerebral malaria. There are no resources. And, unlike the Solomons, there are no good anchorages and no suitable sites for airfields.

Yet this collection of islands makes a good place for the Japanese carriers to lurk, unseen, while they wait for the enemy to commit himself. And in five days they will lend their name to one of the greatest battles of World War II, catapulting them from sleepy tropical obscurity into the history books in one bloody and harrowing day.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2299
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/1/2008 2:53:57 AM   
Mynok

You tease....

And no self-respecting American would drink bourbon either.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2300
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/1/2008 4:06:41 AM   
BrucePowers

Well, we have but 5 game days to await the news.....

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 2301
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/1/2008 4:53:17 AM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mynok

And no self-respecting American would drink bourbon either.

Tell that to Andy Rooney -- and then get back to work on your AAR!

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 2302
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/1/2008 7:14:55 AM   
histgamer

You guys the Brits don't drink Whiskey... They drink Scotch.. which is the same thing just way better. Those Scotch can sure make some good whiskey.

Them and the Canadian's I would put Crown Royal up there with any scotch... excluding like the vintage stuff.

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 2303
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/1/2008 7:34:32 AM   
bradfordkay

flanyboy, it's the Scots who make such fine scotch. I thought that you might want to fix your statement before any of our own scots blow a fuse at being referred to as a libation instead of a human...

< Message edited by bradfordkay -- 3/1/2008 7:35:06 AM >

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to histgamer)
Post #: 2304
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/1/2008 8:56:16 AM   
histgamer

Yes yes you are of course correct, but they don't make scotch... they make whiskey that is so good it is called scotch rather than whiskey.

Then again I have had some very bad scotch and some whiskey that is about as good as any scotch. 

I love Crown Royal Whiskey… GO CANADA!!!

Maybe I can get the fine Canadian I am playing in my PBEM to send me some stuff as a War indemnity if I beat him.

Post #: 2305
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/1/2008 5:22:28 PM   
Feinder

quote:

And in five days...

Dang it.  I feel 5 days of constipation coming on.

Fiber and Hibiki, both should be taken in regular doses.

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to histgamer)
Post #: 2306
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/1/2008 7:47:54 PM   
histgamer

To much info.

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 2307
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/1/2008 9:22:52 PM   
Terminus

And too little on the Hibiki... Come on, Cuttlefish...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to histgamer)
Post #: 2308
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/1/2008 9:46:25 PM   
Nemo121

I think actually that Jackson is a great example of Asperger's Syndrome. The hidebound religiosity, the manner of his lectures, the issues when he fought on the opposite flank than he was used to, the pedantic speech etc. All are really indicative of Asperger's. He was, undoubtedly, high-functioning but the deficits are all there to be seen when one reads the works on him with a critical eye.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 2309
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/1/2008 9:48:03 PM   
Terminus

CF's tardiness aside, however, it's not really nice to spam his AAR with talk of Civil War generals and types of whiskey...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 2310
Page:   <<   < prev  75 76 [77] 78 79   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Small Ship, Big War Page: <<   < prev  75 76 [77] 78 79   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI